Posted to rec.food.cooking
Judy[_6_] Judy[_6_] is offline

Default Can vanilla extract 'go bad'?

On Thursday, April 9, 2015 at 10:34:09 AM UTC-8, Kalmia wrote:
> Maybe I was overwrought by the relatively low price for a huge bottle of vanilla - 8 oz - now I'm wondering if it'll go off. I probably use about 3 oz per year, if that.
>
> I also bought the 10 lb. King Arthur tho and I just KNOW that won't go to waste.

I buy the pure vanilla extract at Costco and it
comes in good size bottles (too lazy to get up
and look!) and it's dated. I bake a lot so go through
it pretty fast, so I've never been concerned about
using it all before the date expires.

If you don't use a lot of vanilla, I'd just buy
the smallest bottle I could find at the supermarket.

My rule of thumb I go by, is the smell, if it still
smells good, then I'd say it's fine, but if the smell
is starting to get weaker, or smells odd, dump it down
the sink and go get a new bottle. It seems that the
shelf life is quite awhile.

Judy