Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default "Impossible" chicken pot pie

I tried this recipe from bettycrocker.com and found it to be very very very
bland. I've eaten half of it and thinking seriously of tossing the
remainder. The only change I made was substituting canned sliced carrots
and canned peas for the frozen vegetables in the recipe. Almost tasteless,
especially the 'crust'.

Thoughts?

TIA.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

KenK wrote:

> I tried this recipe from bettycrocker.com and found it to be very very very
> bland. I've eaten half of it and thinking seriously of tossing the
> remainder. The only change I made was substituting canned sliced carrots
> and canned peas for the frozen vegetables in the recipe. Almost tasteless,
> especially the 'crust'.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> TIA.

You didn't include the recipe but I looked it up.
--------------------------------
- 2/3 cups Green Giant Steamer frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 cup cut-up cooked chicken
- 1 can condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup Original Bisquick mix
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 egg
-------------------------------

The condensed chicken soup should provide the flavor but the recipe
also adds:

"Add more flavor by stirring 1/2 teaspoon of your favorite dried herb
into the veggie mixture. Oregano, basil, thyme and dill weed are all
great choices."

I wouldn't toss it. I'd fix it. Maybe salt and pepper will help?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 09/01/2015 11:42 AM, Gary wrote:
> KenK wrote:
>>
>> I tried this recipe from bettycrocker.com and found it to be very very very
>> bland. I've eaten half of it and thinking seriously of tossing the
>> remainder. The only change I made was substituting canned sliced carrots
>> and canned peas for the frozen vegetables in the recipe. Almost tasteless,
>> especially the 'crust'.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>>
>> TIA.

> You didn't include the recipe but I looked it up.
> --------------------------------
> - 2/3 cups Green Giant Steamer frozen mixed vegetables
> - 1 cup cut-up cooked chicken
> - 1 can condensed cream of chicken soup
> - 1 cup Original Bisquick mix
> - 1/2 cup milk
> - 1 egg
> -------------------------------
>
> The condensed chicken soup should provide the flavor but the recipe
> also adds:
>
> "Add more flavor by stirring 1/2 teaspoon of your favorite dried herb
> into the veggie mixture. Oregano, basil, thyme and dill weed are all
> great choices."
>
> I wouldn't toss it. I'd fix it. Maybe salt and pepper will help?

I'd certainly toss the recipe!
Graham
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 09 Jan 2015 12:11:41 -0700, graham > wrote:

>On 09/01/2015 11:42 AM, Gary wrote:
>> KenK wrote:
>>>
>>> I tried this recipe from bettycrocker.com and found it to be very very very
>>> bland. I've eaten half of it and thinking seriously of tossing the
>>> remainder. The only change I made was substituting canned sliced carrots
>>> and canned peas for the frozen vegetables in the recipe. Almost tasteless,
>>> especially the 'crust'.
>>>
>>> Thoughts?
>>>
>>> TIA.

>> You didn't include the recipe but I looked it up.
>> --------------------------------
>> - 2/3 cups Green Giant Steamer frozen mixed vegetables
>> - 1 cup cut-up cooked chicken
>> - 1 can condensed cream of chicken soup
>> - 1 cup Original Bisquick mix
>> - 1/2 cup milk
>> - 1 egg
>> -------------------------------
>>
>> The condensed chicken soup should provide the flavor but the recipe
>> also adds:
>>
>> "Add more flavor by stirring 1/2 teaspoon of your favorite dried herb
>> into the veggie mixture. Oregano, basil, thyme and dill weed are all
>> great choices."
>>
>> I wouldn't toss it. I'd fix it. Maybe salt and pepper will help?
>>

>I'd certainly toss the recipe!

As would I. Can condensed cream of chicken soup and Bisquick mix kills
it stone dead for me.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

There is nothing wrong with using Bisquick in various recipes, but it is a biscuit mix, and should not
be expected to taste like pastry.

I would just add some seasonings to your remaining impossible pies.

I used to make a quick pizza for the boys when I was working, and we were all ready for supper
the minute we walked in the door....using Bisquick biscuit mix, patted into a jelly roll pan in a thin
layer, and then with pizza toppings on top. It baked fast and was really good and filling.

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"KenK" > wrote in message
>I tried this recipe from bettycrocker.com and found it to be very very very
> bland. I've eaten half of it and thinking seriously of tossing the
> remainder. The only change I made was substituting canned sliced carrots
> and canned peas for the frozen vegetables in the recipe. Almost tasteless,
> especially the 'crust'.
>
> Thoughts?

Why do you think it is called impossible pie?

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 09/01/2015 12:25 PM, Nancy2 wrote:

> There is nothing wrong with using Bisquick in various recipes, but it is a biscuit mix, and should not
> be expected to taste like pastry.
>
> I would just add some seasonings to your remaining impossible pies.
>
> I used to make a quick pizza for the boys when I was working, and we were all ready for supper
> the minute we walked in the door....using Bisquick biscuit mix, patted into a jelly roll pan in a thin
> layer, and then with pizza toppings on top. It baked fast and was really good and filling.
>
> N.

A friend showed me how she made an easy focaccia. She took a ready-made
pizza base from the SM freezer section, pushed in a few dimples,
sprinkled with EVOO, salt and some dried herbs before baking it.
Graham
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"graham" > wrote in message
> On 09/01/2015 12:25 PM, Nancy2 wrote:
>>
>> There is nothing wrong with using Bisquick in various recipes, but it is
>> a biscuit mix, and should not
>> be expected to taste like pastry.
>>
>> I would just add some seasonings to your remaining impossible pies.
>>
>> I used to make a quick pizza for the boys when I was working, and we were
>> all ready for supper
>> the minute we walked in the door....using Bisquick biscuit mix, patted
>> into a jelly roll pan in a thin
>> layer, and then with pizza toppings on top. It baked fast and was really
>> good and filling.
>>
>> N.
>>

> A friend showed me how she made an easy focaccia. She took a ready-made
> pizza base from the SM freezer section, pushed in a few dimples, sprinkled
> with EVOO, salt and some dried herbs before baking it.

I see.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/9/2015 1:42 PM, Gary wrote:
> KenK wrote:
>>
>> I tried this recipe from bettycrocker.com and found it to be very very very
>> bland. I've eaten half of it and thinking seriously of tossing the
>> remainder. The only change I made was substituting canned sliced carrots
>> and canned peas for the frozen vegetables in the recipe. Almost tasteless,
>> especially the 'crust'.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>>
>> TIA.

> You didn't include the recipe but I looked it up.
> --------------------------------
> - 2/3 cups Green Giant Steamer frozen mixed vegetables
> - 1 cup cut-up cooked chicken
> - 1 can condensed cream of chicken soup
> - 1 cup Original Bisquick mix
> - 1/2 cup milk
> - 1 egg
> -------------------------------
>
> The condensed chicken soup should provide the flavor but the recipe
> also adds:
>
> "Add more flavor by stirring 1/2 teaspoon of your favorite dried herb
> into the veggie mixture. Oregano, basil, thyme and dill weed are all
> great choices."
>
> I wouldn't toss it. I'd fix it. Maybe salt and pepper will help?

Slight correction: The original (read OLD) recipe on the box of
Bisquick did not include Green Giant Steamer frozen vegetables. GG
hadn't come out with the "steamer" label when that recipe was created.
More likely it called for a can of drained mixed vegetables. I'm
thinking canned Veg-all.

http://tinyurl.com/qeqqc9l

From my own search results I see Veg-All sells frozen mixed vegetables,
too. Still, Green Giant brand wasn't specified in the recipe I recall
from yesteryear.

It's been at least 30 years since I made this "impossible" pot pie but
I'm pretty sure I added at least salt & pepper. Two base seasonings no
one should ever forget or be afraid to use.

Keep in mind, Ken is fairly new to cooking. The last time he brought
this subject up some people started hounding him about making the crust
from scratch.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

When my kids were young and I was working, ready-made pizza crusts weren't available. The only "quick"
crusts were those Chef Boy-Ar-Dee pizza "kits."

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/9/2015 8:53 PM, Nancy2 wrote:
> When my kids were young and I was working, ready-made pizza crusts weren't available. The only "quick"
> crusts were those Chef Boy-Ar-Dee pizza "kits."
>
> N.

Those are still around.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/9/2015 1:42 PM, Gary wrote:
> KenK wrote:
>>
>> I tried this recipe from bettycrocker.com and found it to be very very very
>> bland. I've eaten half of it and thinking seriously of tossing the
>> remainder. The only change I made was substituting canned sliced carrots
>> and canned peas for the frozen vegetables in the recipe. Almost tasteless,
>> especially the 'crust'.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>>
>> TIA.

> You didn't include the recipe but I looked it up.
> --------------------------------
> - 2/3 cups Green Giant Steamer frozen mixed vegetables
> - 1 cup cut-up cooked chicken
> - 1 can condensed cream of chicken soup
> - 1 cup Original Bisquick mix
> - 1/2 cup milk
> - 1 egg
> -------------------------------
>
> The condensed chicken soup should provide the flavor but the recipe
> also adds:
>
> "Add more flavor by stirring 1/2 teaspoon of your favorite dried herb
> into the veggie mixture. Oregano, basil, thyme and dill weed are all
> great choices."
>
> I wouldn't toss it. I'd fix it. Maybe salt and pepper will help?

I think the "impossible" recipes are a good use for Bisquick. You can
even make your own Bisquick if you're worried about additives but I've
made several and they turn out great.

--
ღ.¸¸.œ«*¨`*œ¶
Cheryl
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Paul M. Cook" > wrote in
:

> "KenK" > wrote in message
>>I tried this recipe from bettycrocker.com and found it to be very very
>>very
>> bland. I've eaten half of it and thinking seriously of tossing the
>> remainder. The only change I made was substituting canned sliced
>> carrots and canned peas for the frozen vegetables in the recipe.
>> Almost tasteless, especially the 'crust'.
>>
>> Thoughts?

> Why do you think it is called impossible pie?
>

> ---

Because it's inpossible for me to make it right? And sure enough it was
correctly named!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

The Other Guy > wrote in
:

> On Fri, 09 Jan 2015 20:13:35 -0500, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>> From my own search results I see Veg-All sells frozen mixed

vegetables,
>>too. Still, Green Giant brand wasn't specified in the recipe I recall
>>from yesteryear.
>>
>>It's been at least 30 years since I made this "impossible" pot pie but
>>I'm pretty sure I added at least salt & pepper. Two base seasonings no
>>one should ever forget or be afraid to use.
>>
>>Keep in mind, Ken is fairly new to cooking. The last time he brought
>>this subject up some people started hounding him about making the crust
>>from scratch.

> Anyone trying to cook needs to first understand seasoning food.
>
> Plenty of 'prepared' foods can be made VERY much better with
> simple seasonings and maybe some other small additions.

Unfortunately I missed that chapter in my cookbooks.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary > wrote in :

> KenK wrote:
>>
>> I tried this recipe from bettycrocker.com and found it to be very
>> very very bland. I've eaten half of it and thinking seriously of
>> tossing the remainder. The only change I made was substituting canned
>> sliced carrots and canned peas for the frozen vegetables in the
>> recipe. Almost tasteless, especially the 'crust'.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>>
>> TIA.

> You didn't include the recipe but I looked it up.
> --------------------------------
> - 2/3 cups Green Giant Steamer frozen mixed vegetables
> - 1 cup cut-up cooked chicken
> - 1 can condensed cream of chicken soup
> - 1 cup Original Bisquick mix
> - 1/2 cup milk
> - 1 egg
> -------------------------------
>
> The condensed chicken soup should provide the flavor but the recipe
> also adds:
>
> "Add more flavor by stirring 1/2 teaspoon of your favorite dried herb
> into the veggie mixture. Oregano, basil, thyme and dill weed are all
> great choices."
>
> I wouldn't toss it. I'd fix it. Maybe salt and pepper will help?

Tried that first thing. Helped the vegetables but not the tasteless
crust.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-01-10, KenK > wrote:

> Tried that first thing. Helped the vegetables but not the tasteless
> crust.

A pie crust calls for some salt, also.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10 Jan 2015 16:59:13 GMT, KenK > wrote:

> The Other Guy > wrote in
> :
>
> > On Fri, 09 Jan 2015 20:13:35 -0500, jmcquown >
> > wrote:
> >

> >>Keep in mind, Ken is fairly new to cooking. The last time he brought
> >>this subject up some people started hounding him about making the crust
> >>from scratch.

> > Anyone trying to cook needs to first understand seasoning food.
> >
> > Plenty of 'prepared' foods can be made VERY much better with
> > simple seasonings and maybe some other small additions.
> >

> Unfortunately I missed that chapter in my cookbooks.

It's amazing how good fully prepared foods taste these days. Read the
ingredient list and you might decide you'd rather make it at home.
However, you also might have my husband's attitude and simply not
care. If it tastes good to him, he eats it.

It has been a long time since I've bought the product, but I used to
reheat Stouffer's Vegetable Lasagna at home (when the kids were
little) and bumped up the flavor by lifting up the layers about half
way through and sprinkling it with some garlic powder. Believe it or
not, as much as I love vegetable lasagna, I have never made it at
home. As dsi1 would say: That's the breaks!

--
A kitchen without a cook is just a room
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10 Jan 2015 17:33:35 GMT, notbob > wrote:

> On 2015-01-10, KenK > wrote:
>
> > Tried that first thing. Helped the vegetables but not the tasteless
> > crust.

> A pie crust calls for some salt, also.

But an Impossible Pie starts off mixed and then separates into layers.
No way to fix the tasteless crust part unless he opens the oven after
the Bisquick has come to the top and either salts it or sprinkles it
with grated parmesan cheese. I vote for cheese because I add it to my
pie crust when I make it for pot pie.

--
A kitchen without a cook is just a room
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, January 9, 2015 at 12:18:58 PM UTC-6, KenK wrote:

> I tried this recipe from bettycrocker.com and found it to be very very very
> bland. I've eaten half of it and thinking seriously of tossing the
> remainder. The only change I made was substituting canned sliced carrots
> and canned peas for the frozen vegetables in the recipe. Almost tasteless,
> especially the 'crust'.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> TIA.

I made this recipe 15+ years ago with the exception it said to us frozen mixed vegetables. Yes, it was pretty tasteless and the cooking time was not near enough time for the vegetables to cook. I was so discouraged and disappointed with this recipe I did not try it again and do any tweaking.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, January 9, 2015 at 12:18:58 PM UTC-6, KenK wrote:

> I tried this recipe from bettycrocker.com and found it to be very very very
> bland. I've eaten half of it and thinking seriously of tossing the
> remainder. The only change I made was substituting canned sliced carrots
> and canned peas for the frozen vegetables in the recipe. Almost tasteless,
> especially the 'crust'.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> TIA.

I made this recipe 15+ years ago with the exception it said to use frozen mixed vegetables. Yes, it was pretty tasteless and the cooking time was not near enough time for the vegetables to cook. I was so discouraged and disappointed with this recipe I did not try it again and do any tweaking.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, January 9, 2015 at 1:15:18 PM UTC-6, Je�us wrote:
> On Fri, 09 Jan 2015 12:11:41 -0700, graham > wrote:

> >> You didn't include the recipe but I looked it up.
> >> --------------------------------
> >> - 2/3 cups Green Giant Steamer frozen mixed vegetables
> >> - 1 cup cut-up cooked chicken
> >> - 1 can condensed cream of chicken soup
> >> - 1 cup Original Bisquick mix
> >> - 1/2 cup milk
> >> - 1 egg
> >> -------------------------------
> >>
> >> The condensed chicken soup should provide the flavor but the recipe
> >> also adds:
> >>
> >> "Add more flavor by stirring 1/2 teaspoon of your favorite dried herb
> >> into the veggie mixture. Oregano, basil, thyme and dill weed are all
> >> great choices."
> >>
> >> I wouldn't toss it. I'd fix it. Maybe salt and pepper will help?
> >>

> >I'd certainly toss the recipe!

> As would I. Can condensed cream of chicken soup and Bisquick mix kills
> it stone dead for me.

If you manage to get it down in the first place it would be crazy to make
it even worse by *tossing* it. Everything is always worse when it's going
that direction.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, January 9, 2015 at 1:25:59 PM UTC-6, Nancy2 wrote:
> There is nothing wrong with using Bisquick in various recipes, but it is a biscuit mix, and should not
> be expected to taste like pastry.
>
> I would just add some seasonings to your remaining impossible pies.
>
> I used to make a quick pizza for the boys when I was working, and we were all ready for supper
> the minute we walked in the door....using Bisquick biscuit mix, patted into a jelly roll pan in a thin
> layer, and then with pizza toppings on top. It baked fast and was really good and filling.

No. It was crap. I'm sure it was "filling," but a tub of hog slop...

> N.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 10 Jan 2015 17:06:04 -0800 (PST), Bryan-TGWWW
> wrote:

> On Friday, January 9, 2015 at 1:25:59 PM UTC-6, Nancy2 wrote:
> > There is nothing wrong with using Bisquick in various recipes, but it is a biscuit mix, and should not
> > be expected to taste like pastry.
> >
> > I would just add some seasonings to your remaining impossible pies.
> >
> > I used to make a quick pizza for the boys when I was working, and we were all ready for supper
> > the minute we walked in the door....using Bisquick biscuit mix, patted into a jelly roll pan in a thin
> > layer, and then with pizza toppings on top. It baked fast and was really good and filling.

> No. It was crap. I'm sure it was "filling," but a tub of hog slop...

Kids don't care. Chef Boyardee was the first pizza I'd ever eaten and
I could make it at home, so I loved it when I was a kid.

--
A kitchen without a cook is just a room
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, January 9, 2015 at 1:41:04 PM UTC-6, Paul M. Cook wrote:
> "KenK" > wrote in message
> >I tried this recipe from bettycrocker.com and found it to be very very very
> > bland. I've eaten half of it and thinking seriously of tossing the
> > remainder. The only change I made was substituting canned sliced carrots
> > and canned peas for the frozen vegetables in the recipe. Almost tasteless,
> > especially the 'crust'.
> >
> > Thoughts?

> Why do you think it is called impossible pie?

Recipes with stupid names appeal to persons of sub-par intelligence and taste.

Think about these:
1. The ****ing slob who combines grape jelly with Heinz-type "chili" sauce,
adds meatballs and feels proud of the nasty concoction.
2. The ****ing slob who dumps canned "cream of" soups into a casserole dish
with whatever and feels proud of the nasty concoction.
3. The ****ing slob who combines Bisquick with canned vegetables, then
complains about nasty concoction that results.

A hats off to the New Belgium folks, who have bored me with everything
they've brewed. The Ranger IPA tasted rather good, and I am sleepy. Thank
you Dr. Sinclair. Sleepy. I could get tired of this pretty easily, and that
is good.

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/01/2015 6:04 PM, Bryan-TGWWW wrote:

> If you manage to get it down in the first place it would be crazy to make
> it even worse by *tossing* it.

Or throwing it up?
Graham