Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Boston Cream Pie

Anyone have a recipe they like? Are they difficult to make? I wanted a piece for my birthday but no one made one... I guess I will have to make one myself, maybe for christmas. They had one in Kroger, but it was like $15 which seems kinda pricey. (They didn't have any Boston Cream donuts the last two times I was there.)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 3 Dec 2014 06:58:00 -0800 (PST), Gus Overton
> wrote:

>Anyone have a recipe they like? Are they difficult to make? I wanted a piece for my birthday but no one made one... I guess I will have to make one myself, maybe for christmas. They had one in Kroger, but it was like $15 which seems kinda pricey. (They didn't have any Boston Cream donuts the last two times I was there.)

Years and years ago I used to make them. I don't remember much about
it. I will rummage around and see if I still have the recipe. It was
no trouble to make.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, December 3, 2014 4:58:04 AM UTC-10, Gus Overton wrote:
> Anyone have a recipe they like? Are they difficult to make? I wanted a piece for my birthday but no one made one... I guess I will have to make one myself, maybe for christmas. They had one in Kroger, but it was like $15 which seems kinda pricey. (They didn't have any Boston Cream donuts the last two times I was there.)

My suggestion is that you just buy a big doughnut and make your own BC doughnut. Just make your own filling and ganache. This would be a good practice for the real thing. Make sure you call it something inappropriate - like Boston Cream Cupcake.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 3 Dec 2014 12:09:13 -0800 (PST), dsi1 >
wrote:

> On Wednesday, December 3, 2014 4:58:04 AM UTC-10, Gus Overton wrote:
> > Anyone have a recipe they like? Are they difficult to make? I wanted a piece for my birthday but no one made one... I guess I will have to make one myself, maybe for christmas. They had one in Kroger, but it was like $15 which seems kinda pricey. (They didn't have any Boston Cream donuts the last two times I was there.)

> My suggestion is that you just buy a big doughnut and make your own BC doughnut. Just make your own filling and ganache. This would be a good practice for the real thing. Make sure you call it something inappropriate - like Boston Cream Cupcake.

Google Boston Cream Cupcake and you'll find recipes. Seriously!

--

Carrot cake counts as a serving of vegetables.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, December 4, 2014 2:56:44 AM UTC-5, sf wrote:
> On Wed, 3 Dec 2014 12:09:13 -0800 (PST), dsi1 >
> wrote:
>
> > On Wednesday, December 3, 2014 4:58:04 AM UTC-10, Gus Overton wrote:
> > > Anyone have a recipe they like? Are they difficult to make? I wanted a piece for my birthday but no one made one... I guess I will have to make one myself, maybe for christmas. They had one in Kroger, but it was like $15 which seems kinda pricey. (They didn't have any Boston Cream donuts the last two times I was there.)

> > My suggestion is that you just buy a big doughnut and make your own BC doughnut. Just make your own filling and ganache. This would be a good practice for the real thing. Make sure you call it something inappropriate - like Boston Cream Cupcake.

> Google Boston Cream Cupcake and you'll find recipes. Seriously!
>
> --
>
> Carrot cake counts as a serving of vegetables.

It's true! I had never seen one before... Now I want one more than ever. There is a bakery down the street a few blocks. I forgot. Surely they have some? At least a doughnut.

https://www.google.com/search?q=bost...2&ved=0CEQQsAQ

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, December 3, 2014 3:09:33 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:
> On Wednesday, December 3, 2014 4:58:04 AM UTC-10, Gus Overton wrote:
> > Anyone have a recipe they like? Are they difficult to make? I wanted a piece for my birthday but no one made one... I guess I will have to make one myself, maybe for christmas. They had one in Kroger, but it was like $15 which seems kinda pricey. (They didn't have any Boston Cream donuts the last two times I was there.)

> My suggestion is that you just buy a big doughnut and make your own BC doughnut. Just make your own filling and ganache. This would be a good practice for the real thing. Make sure you call it something inappropriate - like Boston Cream Cupcake.

lol... I will have to try this. I really just want one doughnut.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/4/2014 1:56 AM, sf wrote:
> On Wed, 3 Dec 2014 12:09:13 -0800 (PST), dsi1 >
> wrote:
>
>> On Wednesday, December 3, 2014 4:58:04 AM UTC-10, Gus Overton wrote:
>>> Anyone have a recipe they like? Are they difficult to make? I wanted a piece for my birthday but no one made one... I guess I will have to make one myself, maybe for christmas. They had one in Kroger, but it was like $15 which seems kinda pricey. (They didn't have any Boston Cream donuts the last two times I was there.)

>> My suggestion is that you just buy a big doughnut and make your own BC doughnut. Just make your own filling and ganache. This would be a good practice for the real thing. Make sure you call it something inappropriate - like Boston Cream Cupcake.

> Google Boston Cream Cupcake and you'll find recipes. Seriously!

What a coinkydink - I'll be making miniature Boston Cream cupcakes for
a retirement party next week. But instead of vanilla cream filling,
I'm making espresso cream, and garnishing each one with a
chocolate-covered coffee bean.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 04 Dec 2014 12:27:00 -0600, Moe DeLoughan >
wrote:

> What a coinkydink - I'll be making miniature Boston Cream cupcakes for
> a retirement party next week. But instead of vanilla cream filling,
> I'm making espresso cream, and garnishing each one with a
> chocolate-covered coffee bean.

I'd eat one.

--
A kitchen without a cook is just a room.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 4 Dec 2014 10:00:34 -0800 (PST), Gus Overton
> wrote:

> On Wednesday, December 3, 2014 3:09:33 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:
> > On Wednesday, December 3, 2014 4:58:04 AM UTC-10, Gus Overton wrote:
> > > Anyone have a recipe they like? Are they difficult to make? I wanted a piece for my birthday but no one made one... I guess I will have to make one myself, maybe for christmas. They had one in Kroger, but it was like $15 which seems kinda pricey. (They didn't have any Boston Cream donuts the last two times I was there.)

> > My suggestion is that you just buy a big doughnut and make your own BC doughnut. Just make your own filling and ganache. This would be a good practice for the real thing. Make sure you call it something inappropriate - like Boston Cream Cupcake.

> lol... I will have to try this. I really just want one doughnut.

Why don't you check out the bakery section of your local chain
grocery... they might have it cut up into single portions. A single
portion is more the size of a dessert you'd get at a restaurant: big
enough for two to share and maybe little left over to take home.

My local grocery has been putting the entire cake on sale for $5, so
it would be worth it to buy a whole one and give the rest away.

--
A kitchen without a cook is just a room.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/4/2014 1:31 PM, sf wrote:
> On Thu, 04 Dec 2014 12:27:00 -0600, Moe DeLoughan >
> wrote:
>
>> What a coinkydink - I'll be making miniature Boston Cream cupcakes for
>> a retirement party next week. But instead of vanilla cream filling,
>> I'm making espresso cream, and garnishing each one with a
>> chocolate-covered coffee bean.

> I'd eat one.

Me, too!

--
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-12-03 14:58:00 +0000, Gus Overton said:

> Anyone have a recipe they like? Are they difficult to make? I wanted
> a piece for my birthday but no one made one... I guess I will have to
> make one myself, maybe for christmas. They had one in Kroger, but it
> was like $15 which seems kinda pricey. (They didn't have any Boston
> Cream donuts the last two times I was there.)

Use a yellow Jiffy cake mix to make a one-layer cake. Follow the
directions and remove it from the pan to cool. Split it in half
horizontally. Spread about 1-1/2 cups cooked, cooled, and chilled
vanilla pudding (with a little almond extract added) on the bottom
section. Put the top part on top of the pudding and pour a thinnish
chocolate icing over all of it. Let it sit in the fridge for a few
hours before cutting it. That should do it.
Barb
www.barbschaller.com, last update April 2013