Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Mayo or Miracle Whip....

We have been using the Heavy Duty Mayo we buy from Sam's Club. Good
flavor, very thick, stores well in the spare refrigerator. Last week,
I got a notion that I missed using Miracle Whip and as if by magic, we
found a $1 off coupon, so we bought a quart.

So we have been having a sandwich fest. BLT's, sliced egg sandwiches,
egg salad... it is like being reunited with an old friend.

But I think that mayo will still be better in some instances... but we
won't use enough of both to buy both in the larger, economy sizes that
we prefer.... and I hate the idea of paying the quart jar prices.

Decisions, decisions.

George L

(PS - Becca says that if we add some sweetener and a little lemon juice
to the mayo that it tastes like MW. I am skeptical)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"George Leppla" > wrote in message
> We have been using the Heavy Duty Mayo we buy from Sam's Club. Good
> flavor, very thick, stores well in the spare refrigerator. Last week, I
> got a notion that I missed using Miracle Whip and as if by magic, we found
> a $1 off coupon, so we bought a quart.
>
> So we have been having a sandwich fest. BLT's, sliced egg sandwiches, egg
> salad... it is like being reunited with an old friend.
>
> But I think that mayo will still be better in some instances... but we
> won't use enough of both to buy both in the larger, economy sizes that we
> prefer.... and I hate the idea of paying the quart jar prices.
>
> Decisions, decisions.
>
> George L
>
> (PS - Becca says that if we add some sweetener and a little lemon juice to
> the mayo that it tastes like MW. I am skeptical)

I grew up thinking that I hated mayo. We only ever had Miracle Whip at home
because my brother loved it. I would use it in tuna salad because that was
all we had. But I would never eat it on a sandwich. The reason I thought
that I hated mayo was because my parents always referred to the MW as mayo.
Just like they called margarine, butter!

It was only after I ordered a sandwich in a restaurant and asked for butter
instead of mayo (I actually don't even like butter on most sandwiches but
that was the way my mom served them to me so I didn't know any better) and
didn't get what I ordered that I discovered that I did like it. We were
super pressed for time. I couldn't send the sandwich back so it was either
eat it or go hungry. When I exclaimed that I actually did like mayo and why
did our mayo at home taste so bad that my mom admitted to me that it wasn't
mayo.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-11-11 8:44 AM, George Leppla wrote:

> So we have been having a sandwich fest. BLT's, sliced egg sandwiches,
> egg salad... it is like being reunited with an old friend.

I was raised with Miracle Whip because my mother preferred it to
mayonnaise. MY wife insists on the real thing. I have to say that I
prefer mayo to Miracle Whip, but the bottles stuff does not hold a
candle to home made mayo.

> But I think that mayo will still be better in some instances... but we
> won't use enough of both to buy both in the larger, economy sizes that
> we prefer.... and I hate the idea of paying the quart jar prices.

I jar of mayo lasts several months in our house. If we used more mayo I
would make it myself.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 11 Nov 2014 09:38:29 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> I jar of mayo lasts several months in our house. If we used more mayo I
> would make it myself.

That's the position I'm in too. If I used it more often, I'd make it
myself. As it is, the only time I make "mayonnaise" is when I make
aioli to go with salmon. Then, I need to plan ahead and make sure I
buy enough fish to have leftover salmon so I can turn it and the
remaining aioli into salmon pasta salad... which doesn't happen very
often. The weather needs to be very warm for me to even consider it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"George Leppla" > wrote in message
> We have been using the Heavy Duty Mayo we buy from Sam's Club. Good
> flavor, very thick, stores well in the spare refrigerator. Last week, I
> got a notion that I missed using Miracle Whip and as if by magic, we found
> a $1 off coupon, so we bought a quart.
>
> So we have been having a sandwich fest. BLT's, sliced egg sandwiches, egg
> salad... it is like being reunited with an old friend.
>
> But I think that mayo will still be better in some instances... but we
> won't use enough of both to buy both in the larger, economy sizes that we
> prefer.... and I hate the idea of paying the quart jar prices.
>
> Decisions, decisions.
>
> George L

They have Miracle Whip in smaller jars than a quart in supermarkets. I like
the Extra Heavy Mayo too and only use that now, but not in regular
supermarkets that I shop at, so I buy it online.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/11/2014 12:35 PM, Cheri wrote:

> "George Leppla" > wrote in message
>> We have been using the Heavy Duty Mayo we buy from Sam's Club. Good
>> flavor, very thick, stores well in the spare refrigerator. Last
>> week, I got a notion that I missed using Miracle Whip and as if by
>> magic, we found a $1 off coupon, so we bought a quart.
>>
>> So we have been having a sandwich fest. BLT's, sliced egg sandwiches,
>> egg salad... it is like being reunited with an old friend.
>>
>> But I think that mayo will still be better in some instances... but we
>> won't use enough of both to buy both in the larger, economy sizes that
>> we prefer.... and I hate the idea of paying the quart jar prices.
>>
>> Decisions, decisions.
>>
>> George L

> They have Miracle Whip in smaller jars than a quart in supermarkets. I
> like the Extra Heavy Mayo too and only use that now, but not in regular
> supermarkets that I shop at, so I buy it online.

I hate to have to buy fat-free mayonnaise in large jars. I know both the
local supermarket and Kraft sell it in 8oz jars but they are often hard
to find. Living alone, a quart jar lasts a long time. Fortunately, it
seems to keep well in fridge.

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not." in Reply To.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/11/2014 8:44 AM, George Leppla wrote:

> But I think that mayo will still be better in some instances... but we
> won't use enough of both to buy both in the larger, economy sizes that
> we prefer.... and I hate the idea of paying the quart jar prices.
>
> Decisions, decisions.
>
> George L

I buyh the quart jar now because we just don't use enough to buy the big
ones. Same with ketchup. Maybe try the store brand equivalent and it
it is just as good, it will be cheap enough to keep a quart around.

> (PS - Becca says that if we add some sweetener and a little lemon juice
> to the mayo that it tastes like MW. I am skeptical)

I thought it would be pickle juice.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"James Silverton" > wrote in message
> On 11/11/2014 12:35 PM, Cheri wrote:
>>
>> "George Leppla" > wrote in message
>>> We have been using the Heavy Duty Mayo we buy from Sam's Club. Good
>>> flavor, very thick, stores well in the spare refrigerator. Last
>>> week, I got a notion that I missed using Miracle Whip and as if by
>>> magic, we found a $1 off coupon, so we bought a quart.
>>>
>>> So we have been having a sandwich fest. BLT's, sliced egg sandwiches,
>>> egg salad... it is like being reunited with an old friend.
>>>
>>> But I think that mayo will still be better in some instances... but we
>>> won't use enough of both to buy both in the larger, economy sizes that
>>> we prefer.... and I hate the idea of paying the quart jar prices.
>>>
>>> Decisions, decisions.
>>>
>>> George L

>> They have Miracle Whip in smaller jars than a quart in supermarkets. I
>> like the Extra Heavy Mayo too and only use that now, but not in regular
>> supermarkets that I shop at, so I buy it online.
>>

> I hate to have to buy fat-free mayonnaise in large jars. I know both the
> local supermarket and Kraft sell it in 8oz jars but they are often hard to
> find. Living alone, a quart jar lasts a long time. Fortunately, it seems
> to keep well in fridge.
>
> --
> Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Yes, I understand what you're saying. I suppose they don't sell enough of
the smaller jars to make them viable to stock everywhere, but it would be
nice.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> On Tue, 11 Nov 2014 09:38:29 -0500, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
>
> > I jar of mayo lasts several months in our house. If we used more mayo I
> > would make it myself.

> That's the position I'm in too. If I used it more often, I'd make it
> myself. As it is, the only time I make "mayonnaise" is when I make
> aioli to go with salmon. Then, I need to plan ahead and make sure I
> buy enough fish to have leftover salmon so I can turn it and the
> remaining aioli into salmon pasta salad... which doesn't happen very
> often. The weather needs to be very warm for me to even consider it.

Miracle Whip is just nasty stuff. I suspect the only people who like it
are those who were raised on it from a young age and haven't had decent
real mayo. I doubt there are many new converts to MW from real mayo.

I used to like Hellman's mayo, but it seems in recent years they must
have changed the formula and added more and more HFCS or whatever
because it has become way too sweet for my tastes like MW. The Heinz
mayo is much better and really seems more like the old Hellman's mayo.

On homemade mayo, I've tried at least a half dozen recipes and none of
them have produced anything I like as much as the old Hellman's or the
current Heinz mayo. I'm not sure why that is, each recipe "worked" in
that it emulsified properly to a reasonable thickness, but none tasted
very good to me. The different recipes used different oils and whatnot
too so it wasn't one particular oil that didn't work well. Dunno I
usually prefer homemade for most everything, but not mayo it seems.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/11/2014 11:35 AM, Cheri wrote:

> "George Leppla" > wrote in message
>> We have been using the Heavy Duty Mayo we buy from Sam's Club. Good
>> flavor, very thick, stores well in the spare refrigerator. Last
>> week, I got a notion that I missed using Miracle Whip and as if by
>> magic, we found a $1 off coupon, so we bought a quart.
>>
>> So we have been having a sandwich fest. BLT's, sliced egg sandwiches,
>> egg salad... it is like being reunited with an old friend.
>>
>> But I think that mayo will still be better in some instances... but we
>> won't use enough of both to buy both in the larger, economy sizes that
>> we prefer.... and I hate the idea of paying the quart jar prices.
>>
>> Decisions, decisions.
>>
>> George L

> They have Miracle Whip in smaller jars than a quart in supermarkets. I
> like the Extra Heavy Mayo too and only use that now, but not in regular
> supermarkets that I shop at, so I buy it online.
>
> Cheri

Extra heavy mayo is what I like, but I have not seen this available in
supermarkets, thanks for letting me know I can find it online, Cheri.
We have been buying this at Sam's Club for 8 years, it is $6 per gallon.
I especially like it when I make salad dressings, aioli or tartar sauce.

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Pete C." > wrote in message

> Miracle Whip is just nasty stuff. I suspect the only people who like it
> are those who were raised on it from a young age and haven't had decent
> real mayo. I doubt there are many new converts to MW from real mayo.

Then you would be wrong.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Becca EmaNymton" > wrote in message
> On 11/11/2014 11:35 AM, Cheri wrote:
>>
>> "George Leppla" > wrote in message
>>> We have been using the Heavy Duty Mayo we buy from Sam's Club. Good
>>> flavor, very thick, stores well in the spare refrigerator. Last
>>> week, I got a notion that I missed using Miracle Whip and as if by
>>> magic, we found a $1 off coupon, so we bought a quart.
>>>
>>> So we have been having a sandwich fest. BLT's, sliced egg sandwiches,
>>> egg salad... it is like being reunited with an old friend.
>>>
>>> But I think that mayo will still be better in some instances... but we
>>> won't use enough of both to buy both in the larger, economy sizes that
>>> we prefer.... and I hate the idea of paying the quart jar prices.
>>>
>>> Decisions, decisions.
>>>
>>> George L

>> They have Miracle Whip in smaller jars than a quart in supermarkets. I
>> like the Extra Heavy Mayo too and only use that now, but not in regular
>> supermarkets that I shop at, so I buy it online.
>>
>> Cheri

> Extra heavy mayo is what I like, but I have not seen this available in
> supermarkets, thanks for letting me know I can find it online, Cheri. We
> have been buying this at Sam's Club for 8 years, it is $6 per gallon. I
> especially like it when I make salad dressings, aioli or tartar sauce.
>
> Becca

I believe you're the one who put me on to it in the first place as I had
never heard of it before you posted about buying it at Sam's Club. I'm very
happy that you did mention it since I really like it.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:
>George Leppla wrote:
>
>> So we have been having a sandwich fest. BLT's, sliced egg sandwiches,
>> egg salad... it is like being reunited with an old friend.

>I was raised with Miracle Whip because my mother preferred it to
>mayonnaise. MY wife insists on the real thing. I have to say that I
>prefer mayo to Miracle Whip, but the bottles stuff does not hold a
>candle to home made mayo.
>

>> But I think that mayo will still be better in some instances... but we
>> won't use enough of both to buy both in the larger, economy sizes that
>> we prefer.... and I hate the idea of paying the quart jar prices.

>I jar of mayo lasts several months in our house. If we used more mayo I
>would make it myself.

A quart of Hellman's mayo will last me over a year, I keep it for
guests or I'd not have any. I think I once bought Miracle Whip but I
honestly can't remember, obviously made no impression. My go to
sandwich spread is usually mustard and occasionally I reach for the
Hellman's Sandwich Spread (good with tuna), if I'm going to indulge in
the useless fat calories I like it better than plain mayo. Today's
lunch was a ham sandwich with Gulden's spicy brown and I splurged by
adding a spoon of Heinz sweet pickle relish. My experience is people
who go through quarts of mayo like they have it hooked up to an IV
usually weigh over 300 pounds.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 11 Nov 2014 11:19:00 -0800, "Cheri" >
wrote:

> "Becca EmaNymton" > wrote in message
> > On 11/11/2014 11:35 AM, Cheri wrote:
> >>

> >> They have Miracle Whip in smaller jars than a quart in supermarkets. I
> >> like the Extra Heavy Mayo too and only use that now, but not in regular
> >> supermarkets that I shop at, so I buy it online.
> >>
> >> Cheri

> > Extra heavy mayo is what I like, but I have not seen this available in
> > supermarkets, thanks for letting me know I can find it online, Cheri. We
> > have been buying this at Sam's Club for 8 years, it is $6 per gallon. I
> > especially like it when I make salad dressings, aioli or tartar sauce.
> >
> > Becca

> I believe you're the one who put me on to it in the first place as I had
> never heard of it before you posted about buying it at Sam's Club. I'm very
> happy that you did mention it since I really like it.
>
> Cheri

Here's an FYI about extra heavy mayo that I just found at Serious
Eats.

Quote:
The only difference between extra heavy mayonnaise and regular "real"
mayonnaise is 1 egg yolk per gallon. The additional egg yolk helps the
emulsion of the eggs and oil stabilize, and many restaurant operators
prefer using extra heavy because it prevents separating. A tuna salad
made with extra heavy mayo and left in the fridge overnight will
"weep" less than one made with regular---that is, it won't be sitting
in a pile of liquid in the morning. Extra heavy mayo helps operators
keep a handle on their food costs because they don't have to add more
product the next day.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 11 Nov 2014 11:19:00 -0800, "Cheri" >
> wrote:

>> > Extra heavy mayo is what I like, but I have not seen this available in
>> > supermarkets, thanks for letting me know I can find it online, Cheri.
>> > We
>> > have been buying this at Sam's Club for 8 years, it is $6 per gallon. I
>> > especially like it when I make salad dressings, aioli or tartar sauce.
>> >
>> > Becca

>> I believe you're the one who put me on to it in the first place as I had
>> never heard of it before you posted about buying it at Sam's Club. I'm
>> very
>> happy that you did mention it since I really like it.
>>
>> Cheri

> Here's an FYI about extra heavy mayo that I just found at Serious
> Eats.
>
> Quote:
> The only difference between extra heavy mayonnaise and regular "real"
> mayonnaise is 1 egg yolk per gallon. The additional egg yolk helps the
> emulsion of the eggs and oil stabilize, and many restaurant operators
> prefer using extra heavy because it prevents separating. A tuna salad
> made with extra heavy mayo and left in the fridge overnight will
> "weep" less than one made with regular---that is, it won't be sitting
> in a pile of liquid in the morning. Extra heavy mayo helps operators
> keep a handle on their food costs because they don't have to add more
> product the next day.

Yes, I had heard that. I think it tastes richer. I don't use a whole lot of
mayonnaise, and though I do like homemade, I like "store bought" just fine
too.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/11/2014 2:08 PM, Cheri wrote:

> Yes, I had heard that. I think it tastes richer. I don't use a whole lot of
> mayonnaise, and though I do like homemade, I like "store bought" just fine
> too.

So I had to run to the pharmacy (CVS) this afternoon and I saw in their
ad that they had 2 jars of Miracle Whip on sale for $5. That is a
pretty good price so I grabbed 2.

I noticed that the "quart" jars we always bought have changed... they
now hold only 30 ounces!

Sonsabitches!<vbg>

George L
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 11 Nov 2014 14:50:44 -0600, George Leppla
> wrote:

> On 11/11/2014 2:08 PM, Cheri wrote:
>
> > Yes, I had heard that. I think it tastes richer. I don't use a whole lot of
> > mayonnaise, and though I do like homemade, I like "store bought" just fine
> > too.

> So I had to run to the pharmacy (CVS) this afternoon and I saw in their
> ad that they had 2 jars of Miracle Whip on sale for $5. That is a
> pretty good price so I grabbed 2.
>
> I noticed that the "quart" jars we always bought have changed... they
> now hold only 30 ounces!
>
> Sonsabitches!<vbg>

We have super size at fast food restaurants and super small on grocery
store shelves.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/11/2014 3:50 PM, George Leppla wrote:
> On 11/11/2014 2:08 PM, Cheri wrote:
>
>> Yes, I had heard that. I think it tastes richer. I don't use a whole
>> lot of
>> mayonnaise, and though I do like homemade, I like "store bought" just
>> fine
>> too.

> So I had to run to the pharmacy (CVS) this afternoon and I saw in their
> ad that they had 2 jars of Miracle Whip on sale for $5. That is a
> pretty good price so I grabbed 2.
>
> I noticed that the "quart" jars we always bought have changed... they
> now hold only 30 ounces!
>
> Sonsabitches!<vbg>
>
> George L

I can't see the manufacturers giving up their opportunities to hide
price increases but wouldn't it be great if only a standard set of sizes
were allowed, say, 1/2, 1, 2, 4, 8 and 16 oz and so on?

Incidentally, I saw what I thought were Pomelos priced at $1.99 and
thought that would a great opportunity to try one until a lady passing
remarked that was the price per pound and one Pomelo would be over $5.

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not." in Reply To.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"George Leppla" > wrote in message
> On 11/11/2014 2:08 PM, Cheri wrote:
>
>> Yes, I had heard that. I think it tastes richer. I don't use a whole lot
>> of
>> mayonnaise, and though I do like homemade, I like "store bought" just
>> fine
>> too.

> So I had to run to the pharmacy (CVS) this afternoon and I saw in their ad
> that they had 2 jars of Miracle Whip on sale for $5. That is a pretty
> good price so I grabbed 2.
>
> I noticed that the "quart" jars we always bought have changed... they now
> hold only 30 ounces!
>
> Sonsabitches!<vbg>
>
> George L

Great that you got a good price, and yes...so many products are packaging
less and charging the same. I imagine they think that people are stupid
enough not to notice. Dial Soap bars come easily to mind with those deep
indentations on both sides of the bar.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"James Silverton" > wrote in message
> On 11/11/2014 3:50 PM, George Leppla wrote:
>> On 11/11/2014 2:08 PM, Cheri wrote:
>>
>>> Yes, I had heard that. I think it tastes richer. I don't use a whole
>>> lot of
>>> mayonnaise, and though I do like homemade, I like "store bought" just
>>> fine
>>> too.

>> So I had to run to the pharmacy (CVS) this afternoon and I saw in their
>> ad that they had 2 jars of Miracle Whip on sale for $5. That is a
>> pretty good price so I grabbed 2.
>>
>> I noticed that the "quart" jars we always bought have changed... they
>> now hold only 30 ounces!
>>
>> Sonsabitches!<vbg>
>>
>> George L

> I can't see the manufacturers giving up their opportunities to hide price
> increases but wouldn't it be great if only a standard set of sizes were
> allowed, say, 1/2, 1, 2, 4, 8 and 16 oz and so on?
>
> Incidentally, I saw what I thought were Pomelos priced at $1.99 and
> thought that would a great opportunity to try one until a lady passing
> remarked that was the price per pound and one Pomelo would be over $5.
>
> --
> Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)
>
> Extraneous "not." in Reply To.

That happened to me recently with a head of cauliflower at Smart and Final.
It said $1.99 so I bought a large head, and when I got to checkout it was
$4.78. What? It was $1.99 per pound. I questioned why cauliflower would be
priced by the pound, since I had never seen that. I got a rather snippy
reply that I should talk to corporate if I don't like the pricing in the
store. I didn't like it, but I'm aware of it now and will be very careful
about pricing there.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

George Leppla wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> We have been using the Heavy Duty Mayo we buy from Sam's Club. Good
> flavor, very thick, stores well in the spare refrigerator. Last
> week, I got a notion that I missed using Miracle Whip and as if by
> magic, we found a $1 off coupon, so we bought a quart.
>
> So we have been having a sandwich fest. BLT's, sliced egg
> sandwiches, egg salad... it is like being reunited with an old friend.
>
> But I think that mayo will still be better in some instances... but
> we won't use enough of both to buy both in the larger, economy sizes
> that we prefer.... and I hate the idea of paying the quart jar prices.
>
> Decisions, decisions.
>
> George L
>
> (PS - Becca says that if we add some sweetener and a little lemon
> juice to the mayo that it tastes like MW. I am skeptical)

I am almost 100% the mayo crowd but there are a few things where MW
works.

My daughter likes it do we get a small jar of MW now and again to match
the big one of Mayo.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brooklyn1 wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Dave Smith wrote:
> > George Leppla wrote:
> >
> >> So we have been having a sandwich fest. BLT's, sliced egg

> sandwiches, >> egg salad... it is like being reunited with an old
> friend.
> >
> > I was raised with Miracle Whip because my mother preferred it to
> > mayonnaise. MY wife insists on the real thing. I have to say that
> > I prefer mayo to Miracle Whip, but the bottles stuff does not hold
> > a candle to home made mayo.
> >

> >> But I think that mayo will still be better in some instances...

> but we >> won't use enough of both to buy both in the larger, economy
> sizes that >> we prefer.... and I hate the idea of paying the quart
> jar prices.
> >
> > I jar of mayo lasts several months in our house. If we used more
> > mayo I would make it myself.

> A quart of Hellman's mayo will last me over a year, I keep it for
> guests or I'd not have any. I think I once bought Miracle Whip but I
> honestly can't remember, obviously made no impression. My go to
> sandwich spread is usually mustard and occasionally I reach for the
> Hellman's Sandwich Spread (good with tuna), if I'm going to indulge in
> the useless fat calories I like it better than plain mayo. Today's
> lunch was a ham sandwich with Gulden's spicy brown and I splurged by
> adding a spoon of Heinz sweet pickle relish. My experience is people
> who go through quarts of mayo like they have it hooked up to an IV
> usually weigh over 300 pounds.

LOL!

I do use mayo. A regular jar lasts 8 weeks here and most is used in
pasta salads, tuna salads and egg salads. Shortly, some will go for
Turkey salads.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 11 Nov 2014 13:40:53 -0500, "Pete C." >
wrote:

> On homemade mayo, I've tried at least a half dozen recipes and none of
> them have produced anything I like as much as the old Hellman's or the
> current Heinz mayo. I'm not sure why that is, each recipe "worked" in
> that it emulsified properly to a reasonable thickness, but none tasted
> very good to me. The different recipes used different oils and whatnot
> too so it wasn't one particular oil that didn't work well. Dunno I
> usually prefer homemade for most everything, but not mayo it seems.

I understand your problem because it has happened to me too, I try to
use an oil with as little flavor as possible and make sure it's fresh.
Haven't made any plain mayonnaise in ages, but if I made it today -
I'd use my just opened bottle of sunflower oil. Fortunately for me,
I'm usually making either Caesar dressing or a well flavored aioli so
I don't get the off flavor you're talking about. If it happened
again, I'd be sure to check the salt and acid - sometimes just a
little more is all that's needed to improve flavor and too little salt
is usually the culprit.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 11 Nov 2014 13:52:46 -0800, "Cheri" >
wrote:

> "James Silverton" > wrote in message
> >
> > Incidentally, I saw what I thought were Pomelos priced at $1.99 and
> > thought that would a great opportunity to try one until a lady passing
> > remarked that was the price per pound and one Pomelo would be over $5.
> >

> That happened to me recently with a head of cauliflower at Smart and Final.
> It said $1.99 so I bought a large head, and when I got to checkout it was
> $4.78. What? It was $1.99 per pound. I questioned why cauliflower would be
> priced by the pound, since I had never seen that. I got a rather snippy
> reply that I should talk to corporate if I don't like the pricing in the
> store. I didn't like it, but I'm aware of it now and will be very careful
> about pricing there.

Cauliflower is a bad one in any store, IMO. I break them down into
florets anyway, so I used to buy them by the pound in the amount I
wanted when I had that option - now I don't, so I buy a bag of TJ's
cauliflower florets and I'm happy. Unlike at least two people here, I
haven't have a problem with "old" produce at any TJ's I shop in and
I've shopped in at least 5 of them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 11 Nov 2014 16:49:00 -0600, "cshenk" > wrote:

>Brooklyn1 wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
>> Dave Smith wrote:

>> sandwiches, >> egg salad... it is like being reunited with an old
>> friend.
>> >
>> > I was raised with Miracle Whip because my mother preferred it to
>> > mayonnaise. MY wife insists on the real thing. I have to say that
>> > I prefer mayo to Miracle Whip, but the bottles stuff does not hold
>> > a candle to home made mayo.

>> but we >> won't use enough of both to buy both in the larger, economy
>> sizes that >> we prefer.... and I hate the idea of paying the quart
>> jar prices.
>> >
>> > I jar of mayo lasts several months in our house. If we used more
>> > mayo I would make it myself.

>> A quart of Hellman's mayo will last me over a year, I keep it for
>> guests or I'd not have any. I think I once bought Miracle Whip but I
>> honestly can't remember, obviously made no impression. My go to
>> sandwich spread is usually mustard and occasionally I reach for the
>> Hellman's Sandwich Spread (good with tuna), if I'm going to indulge in
>> the useless fat calories I like it better than plain mayo. Today's
>> lunch was a ham sandwich with Gulden's spicy brown and I splurged by
>> adding a spoon of Heinz sweet pickle relish. My experience is people
>> who go through quarts of mayo like they have it hooked up to an IV
>> usually weigh over 300 pounds.

>LOL!
>
>I do use mayo. A regular jar lasts 8 weeks here and most is used in
>pasta salads, tuna salads and egg salads. Shortly, some will go for
>Turkey salads.

Normal people use mayo sparingly... I don't understand how people who
weigh over 300 pounds are promoting mayo at any level... they should
be embarrassed to mention mayo... what could a 300 pounder know about
which mayo is better when they devour all the mayo they can get by the
gallons as though it were an addictive drug.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I grew up eating Miracle Whip, that's all my mother ever bought. I now prefer Cain's Mayonnaise, but that may be a regional brand name, (New England). Hellmann's Balsamic mayonnaise is really good too, it has a little extra tang to it.

Denise in NH
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 11 Nov 2014 16:39:16 -0600, "cshenk" > wrote:

>I am almost 100% the mayo crowd but there are a few things where MW
>works.
>
>My daughter likes it do we get a small jar of MW now and again to match
>the big one of Mayo.

I like both. They each have their applications.

I find that if I'm making tuna/egg/ham/chicken salad for sandwiches,
it has to be Mayo (Hellman's). Because MW has such a high water
content, it makes stuff really watery after it's been in the fridge
for a day.

But I'd rather have MW on a toasted BLT. There seems to be something
missing in the flavour if I use Mayo.

Doris
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/11/2014 10:51 PM, Doris Night wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Nov 2014 16:39:16 -0600, "cshenk" > wrote:

> But I'd rather have MW on a toasted BLT. There seems to be something
> missing in the flavour if I use Mayo.
>
> Doris

Yes! I agree; nothing beats Miracle Whip on a BLT.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 11 Nov 2014 23:17:23 -0500, Travis McGee >
wrote:

>On 11/11/2014 10:51 PM, Doris Night wrote:
>> On Tue, 11 Nov 2014 16:39:16 -0600, "cshenk" > wrote:

>> But I'd rather have MW on a toasted BLT. There seems to be something
>> missing in the flavour if I use Mayo.
>>
>> Doris
>>

>Yes! I agree; nothing beats Miracle Whip on a BLT.

Yeah, it's the SUGAR in MW. We love sugar in our sauces. Nothing like
basting our foods in a sweet sauce to make us THINK it's yum.

I never realized that untilabother poster aid something about the
sugar in MW. But I think it's true.

YEP!!!
https://www.google.com/search?q=mira...ml%3B460%3B221

More sugar than eggs even!! :-(

John Kuthe...

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 11 Nov 2014 11:17:30 -0800 in rec.food.cooking, "Cheri"
> wrote,
>
>"Pete C." > wrote in message
>
>> Miracle Whip is just nasty stuff. I suspect the only people who like it
>> are those who were raised on it from a young age and haven't had decent
>> real mayo. I doubt there are many new converts to MW from real mayo.

>Then you would be wrong.

Really? Where do you get your numbers, and what are they?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-11-12 2:45 PM, David Harmon wrote:

>>> Miracle Whip is just nasty stuff. I suspect the only people who like it
>>> are those who were raised on it from a young age and haven't had decent
>>> real mayo. I doubt there are many new converts to MW from real mayo.

>> Then you would be wrong.

> Really? Where do you get your numbers, and what are they?

It hasn't been around forever and before it was invented about 85 years
ago people had real mayonnaise. There might be some who grew up on it
later, but the original customers would have been converts.

It is funny to hear people suggesting that it is such a superior product
in comparison to mayonnaise, but I think there is an even greater
difference between commercial mayo and homemade, but very few people
bother to make their own, even here.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 11 Nov 2014 07:44:57 -0600, George Leppla
> wrote:

>We have been using the Heavy Duty Mayo we buy from Sam's Club. Good
>flavor, very thick, stores well in the spare refrigerator. Last week,
>I got a notion that I missed using Miracle Whip and as if by magic, we
>found a $1 off coupon, so we bought a quart.
>
>So we have been having a sandwich fest. BLT's, sliced egg sandwiches,
>egg salad... it is like being reunited with an old friend.
>
>But I think that mayo will still be better in some instances... but we
>won't use enough of both to buy both in the larger, economy sizes that
>we prefer.... and I hate the idea of paying the quart jar prices.
>
>Decisions, decisions.
>
>George L
>
>(PS - Becca says that if we add some sweetener and a little lemon juice
>to the mayo that it tastes like MW. I am skeptical)

My favorite Mayo is Duke's. It has no sugar or other sweetener in it.

Here is a recipe that was posted here several years ago. It is the
recipe I use when I feel inspired to make my own. I failed to get the
original poster's name. If anyone knows who it was, let me know.

Mayonnaise

1 whole egg, room temperature
2 tablespoons lemon juice, fresh
3/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon dry mustard
1 cup oil

1. Put into straight sided jar.

2. Put stick blender all the way in without turning it on.

3. Turn the blender on and rocking it slowly from side to side, pull
it up to the top.

4. It should emulsify in 6 or 7 seconds as you pull it up.

Yield: 1 cup

--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> >> Then you would be wrong.

> > Really? Where do you get your numbers, and what are they?
> >

> It hasn't been around forever and before it was invented about 85 years
> ago people had real mayonnaise. There might be some who grew up on it
> later, but the original customers would have been converts.

The Gallery of Regrettable foods shows the kind of food tastes the
average US consumer had just 50 or 60 years ago, and gives a good idea
of the original consumers. It may well have been a lower cost option
back 85 years ago which I believe is right about the Great Depression
where people would eat anything the could get.

> It is funny to hear people suggesting that it is such a superior product
> in comparison to mayonnaise, but I think there is an even greater
> difference between commercial mayo and homemade, but very few people
> bother to make their own, even here.

I guess if people don't know how to cook they may think they have to buy
MW to get the "tang" when in reality they can simply adjust real mayo
with some additions.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

The Cook wrote:

> On Tue, 11 Nov 2014 07:44:57 -0600, George Leppla
> > wrote:
>
> >We have been using the Heavy Duty Mayo we buy from Sam's Club. Good
> >flavor, very thick, stores well in the spare refrigerator. Last week,
> >I got a notion that I missed using Miracle Whip and as if by magic, we
> >found a $1 off coupon, so we bought a quart.
> >
> >So we have been having a sandwich fest. BLT's, sliced egg sandwiches,
> >egg salad... it is like being reunited with an old friend.
> >
> >But I think that mayo will still be better in some instances... but we
> >won't use enough of both to buy both in the larger, economy sizes that
> >we prefer.... and I hate the idea of paying the quart jar prices.
> >
> >Decisions, decisions.
> >
> >George L
> >
> >(PS - Becca says that if we add some sweetener and a little lemon juice
> >to the mayo that it tastes like MW. I am skeptical)

> My favorite Mayo is Duke's. It has no sugar or other sweetener in it.
>
> Here is a recipe that was posted here several years ago. It is the
> recipe I use when I feel inspired to make my own. I failed to get the
> original poster's name. If anyone knows who it was, let me know.
>
> Mayonnaise
>
> 1 whole egg, room temperature
> 2 tablespoons lemon juice, fresh
> 3/4 teaspoon salt
> 3/4 teaspoon dry mustard
> 1 cup oil
>
> 1. Put into straight sided jar.
>
> 2. Put stick blender all the way in without turning it on.
>
> 3. Turn the blender on and rocking it slowly from side to side, pull
> it up to the top.
>
> 4. It should emulsify in 6 or 7 seconds as you pull it up.
>
> Yield: 1 cup

That looks pretty much like the recipes I tried and didn't care for. The
next time I'm making something that needs mayo I'll give it another try,
and I always have the Heinz mayo as a backup.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"David Harmon" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 11 Nov 2014 11:17:30 -0800 in rec.food.cooking, "Cheri"
> > wrote,
>>
>>"Pete C." > wrote in message
>>
>>> Miracle Whip is just nasty stuff. I suspect the only people who like it
>>> are those who were raised on it from a young age and haven't had decent
>>> real mayo. I doubt there are many new converts to MW from real mayo.

>>Then you would be wrong.

> Really? Where do you get your numbers, and what are they?

What are you talking about? I was responding to suspecting that "the only
people who like it are those who were raised on it from a young age and
haven't had a decent real mayo." I wasn't raised on it, and I like it a lot.
No numbers there.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Pete C." > wrote in message

> I guess if people don't know how to cook they may think they have to buy
> MW to get the "tang" when in reality they can simply adjust real mayo
> with some additions.

Or...people who can cook very well and like it. I guess if some people think
they speak for everyone with their personal tastes, then they have more
problems than what kind of mayo other people like.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/11/2014 1:19 PM, Cheri wrote:

> "Becca EmaNymton" > wrote in message

>>> They have Miracle Whip in smaller jars than a quart in supermarkets. I
>>> like the Extra Heavy Mayo too and only use that now, but not in regular
>>> supermarkets that I shop at, so I buy it online.
>>>
>>> Cheri

>> Extra heavy mayo is what I like, but I have not seen this available in
>> supermarkets, thanks for letting me know I can find it online, Cheri.
>> We have been buying this at Sam's Club for 8 years, it is $6 per
>> gallon. I especially like it when I make salad dressings, aioli or
>> tartar sauce.
>>
>> Becca

> I believe you're the one who put me on to it in the first place as I had
> never heard of it before you posted about buying it at Sam's Club. I'm
> very happy that you did mention it since I really like it.
>
> Cheri

Glad you are enjoying the heavy mayo, Cheri. Thanks again for letting me
know I can find it online.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/11/2014 1:58 PM, sf wrote:

> Here's an FYI about extra heavy mayo that I just found at Serious
> Eats.
>
> Quote:
> The only difference between extra heavy mayonnaise and regular "real"
> mayonnaise is 1 egg yolk per gallon. The additional egg yolk helps the
> emulsion of the eggs and oil stabilize, and many restaurant operators
> prefer using extra heavy because it prevents separating. A tuna salad
> made with extra heavy mayo and left in the fridge overnight will
> "weep" less than one made with regular---that is, it won't be sitting
> in a pile of liquid in the morning. Extra heavy mayo helps operators
> keep a handle on their food costs because they don't have to add more
> product the next day.

Thank you for that information about extra heavy mayo, sf, I just knew
that it was extra thick.

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheri wrote:

> "David Harmon" > wrote in message
> > On Tue, 11 Nov 2014 11:17:30 -0800 in rec.food.cooking, "Cheri"
> > > wrote,

> >>Then you would be wrong.

> > Really? Where do you get your numbers, and what are they?

> What are you talking about? I was responding to suspecting that "the only
> people who like it are those who were raised on it from a young age and
> haven't had a decent real mayo." I wasn't raised on it, and I like it a lot.
> No numbers there.

Queue Sheldon to explain your TIAD diagnosis...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, November 11, 2014 8:45:43 AM UTC-5, George L wrote:
> We have been using the Heavy Duty Mayo we buy from Sam's Club. Good
> flavor, very thick, stores well in the spare refrigerator. Last week,
> I got a notion that I missed using Miracle Whip and as if by magic, we
> found a $1 off coupon, so we bought a quart.
>
> So we have been having a sandwich fest. BLT's, sliced egg sandwiches,
> egg salad... it is like being reunited with an old friend.
>
> But I think that mayo will still be better in some instances... but we
> won't use enough of both to buy both in the larger, economy sizes that
> we prefer.... and I hate the idea of paying the quart jar prices.
>
> Decisions, decisions.
>
> George L
>
> (PS - Becca says that if we add some sweetener and a little lemon juice
> to the mayo that it tastes like MW. I am skeptical)

Miracle Whip or homemade mayo. Most of the bought stuff is not that great.

Kate

BOLO: for tainted Miracle Whip. nfw General Cooking 0 06-01-2011 05:03 AM
(2008-01-17) New survey on the RFC site: Mayo or Miracle Whip ChattyCathy General Cooking 21 22-01-2008 11:33 PM
The demise of Miracle Whip? Yeff General Cooking 30 02-11-2006 11:24 PM
miracle whip Yoni General Cooking 13 06-05-2005 05:02 AM
miracle whip Yoni Sushi 1 05-05-2005 11:11 PM