Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Which fats are good and which fats are bad?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifest...2d5_story.html

Which fats are good and which fats are bad?
By Ellie Krieger November 7 Follow @Ellie_Krieger

Adapted from a recent online discussion.

Fat is a hot topic these days, and the science on it has definitely
evolved in the past 10 or so years. Here are a few highlights to consider:

— Total fat (the percentage of fat in your diet) does not seem to be an
issue when it comes to health; it is the type of fat that you eat that
has the impact on your health.

— Unsaturated fats, especially omega 3 (fish) and monounsaturated fat
(olive oil/canola), have a protective effect on your health.

— Trans fats (mostly in processed foods) should be avoided completely.

— Saturated fat (coconut oil/butter/cream) may not be as bad for us as
we once thought, and we are learning more about the different types of
saturated fat and their effects. But they do not appear to be protective
like unsaturated fats are, so it is best to continue to focus on those.

— Regarding egg yolks, the yolk of an egg contains all of its fat (much
of it saturated) and cholesterol, but it also contains most of its
nutrients €” minerals, vitamins, etc. One whole egg a day is fine for a
heart-healthy diet and offers a lot when it comes to nutrition and
satisfaction.

— We do need fat for health, but we do not necessarily need animal fat.
Essential fatty acids come from plant sources. Interestingly though,
lard has less saturated fat than butter, so it is no worse than butter
but somehow has a worse reputation. All fats have a variety of fatty
acid types.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 09 Nov 2014 15:58:26 -0500, Travis McGee >
wrote:

>http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifest...2d5_story.html
>
>Which fats are good and which fats are bad?
>By Ellie Krieger November 7 Follow @Ellie_Krieger
>
>Adapted from a recent online discussion.

I think I'll set this thread to 'ignore' and save myself the impending
aggravation

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, November 9, 2014 2:58:30 PM UTC-6, Travis McGee wrote:
> http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifest...2d5_story.html
>
> Which fats are good and which fats are bad?
> By Ellie Krieger November 7 Follow @Ellie_Krieger
>
> Adapted from a recent online discussion.
>
> Fat is a hot topic these days, and the science on it has definitely
> evolved in the past 10 or so years. Here are a few highlights to consider:
>
> — Total fat (the percentage of fat in your diet) does not seem to be an
> issue when it comes to health; it is the type of fat that you eat that
> has the impact on your health.
>
> — Unsaturated fats, especially omega 3 (fish) and monounsaturated fat
> (olive oil/canola), have a protective effect on your health.
>
> — Trans fats (mostly in processed foods) should be avoided completely.
>
> — Saturated fat (coconut oil/butter/cream) may not be as bad for us as
> we once thought, and we are learning more about the different types of
> saturated fat and their effects. But they do not appear to be protective
> like unsaturated fats are, so it is best to continue to focus on those.
>
> — Regarding egg yolks, the yolk of an egg contains all of its fat (much
> of it saturated) and cholesterol, but it also contains most of its
> nutrients €” minerals, vitamins, etc. One whole egg a day is fine for a
> heart-healthy diet and offers a lot when it comes to nutrition and
> satisfaction.
>
> — We do need fat for health, but we do not necessarily need animal fat.
> Essential fatty acids come from plant sources. Interestingly though,
> lard has less saturated fat than butter, so it is no worse than butter
> but somehow has a worse reputation. All fats have a variety of fatty
> acid types.

OK, Travis, I was researching to write a book about dietary fatty acids
for the general public when Winter appropriated me for her own uses.

Most of what you referenced above is true, but you need to go further,
more details. It doesn't take an education in human physiology to
understand the research on fatty acids, and one doesn't need to be any
more than average-high average intelligence. First, just Google
"large fluffy LDL" You'll see, even all LDL is not the same.
Similarly, not all saturated fatty acids are alike, not all polyunsaturated
fats have similar effects, and there is even one trans-fat that is not
harmful, vaccenic acid.

The Tasmanian Jesus, and lots of other folks here are sick of my posts
on the subject, and I just had a huge dinner, am tired and am going to
sleep, but I won't abandon this thread if anyone is interested.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 9 Nov 2014 17:03:45 -0800 (PST), Bryan-TGWWW
> wrote:

>On Sunday, November 9, 2014 2:58:30 PM UTC-6, Travis McGee wrote:
>> http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifest...2d5_story.html
>>
>> Which fats are good and which fats are bad?
>> By Ellie Krieger November 7 Follow @Ellie_Krieger
>>
>> Adapted from a recent online discussion.
>>
>> Fat is a hot topic these days, and the science on it has definitely
>> evolved in the past 10 or so years. Here are a few highlights to consider:
>>
>> ? Total fat (the percentage of fat in your diet) does not seem to be an
>> issue when it comes to health; it is the type of fat that you eat that
>> has the impact on your health.
>>
>> ? Unsaturated fats, especially omega 3 (fish) and monounsaturated fat
>> (olive oil/canola), have a protective effect on your health.
>>
>> ? Trans fats (mostly in processed foods) should be avoided completely.
>>
>> ? Saturated fat (coconut oil/butter/cream) may not be as bad for us as
>> we once thought, and we are learning more about the different types of
>> saturated fat and their effects. But they do not appear to be protective
>> like unsaturated fats are, so it is best to continue to focus on those.
>>
>> ? Regarding egg yolks, the yolk of an egg contains all of its fat (much
>> of it saturated) and cholesterol, but it also contains most of its
>> nutrients — minerals, vitamins, etc. One whole egg a day is fine for a
>> heart-healthy diet and offers a lot when it comes to nutrition and
>> satisfaction.
>>
>> ? We do need fat for health, but we do not necessarily need animal fat.
>> Essential fatty acids come from plant sources. Interestingly though,
>> lard has less saturated fat than butter, so it is no worse than butter
>> but somehow has a worse reputation. All fats have a variety of fatty
>> acid types.

>OK, Travis, I was researching to write a book about dietary fatty acids
>for the general public when Winter appropriated me for her own uses.
>
>Most of what you referenced above is true, but you need to go further,
>more details. It doesn't take an education in human physiology to
>understand the research on fatty acids, and one doesn't need to be any
>more than average-high average intelligence. First, just Google
>"large fluffy LDL" You'll see, even all LDL is not the same.
>Similarly, not all saturated fatty acids are alike, not all polyunsaturated
>fats have similar effects, and there is even one trans-fat that is not
>harmful, vaccenic acid.
>
>The Tasmanian Jesus, and lots of other folks here are sick of my posts
>on the subject, and I just had a huge dinner, am tired and am going to
>sleep, but I won't abandon this thread if anyone is interested.

I have no idea what you're talking about me being sick of your
posts on saturated fats?? I don't have a problem with saturated fats
in my diet. And it's 'Jebus', not 'Jesus'...
Senior Member

Location: Foat Wuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis McGee View Post
Which fats are good and which fats are bad? - The Washington Post

[...]

Canola oil aka..Rape Seed oil is a polyunsaturated poison...not to be lumped in with olive oil which is a healthy monounsaturated oil. Saturated fats such as hog lard..coconut and palm oil are good.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, November 10, 2014 3:01:05 PM UTC-6, bigwheel wrote:
> Travis McGee;1986773 Wrote:
> > 'Which fats are good and which fats are bad? - The Washington Post'
> > (http://tinyurl.com/kab2xlq)
> >
> > Which fats are good and which fats are bad?
> > By Ellie Krieger November 7 Follow @Ellie_Krieger
> >
> > Adapted from a recent online discussion.
> >
> > Fat is a hot topic these days, and the science on it has definitely
> > evolved in the past 10 or so years. Here are a few highlights to
> > consider:
> >
> > — Total fat (the percentage of fat in your diet) does not seem to be
> > an
> > issue when it comes to health; it is the type of fat that you eat that
> > has the impact on your health.
> >
> > — Unsaturated fats, especially omega 3 (fish) and monounsaturated fat
> >
> > (olive oil/canola), have a protective effect on your health.
> >
> > — Trans fats (mostly in processed foods) should be avoided
> > completely.
> >
> > — Saturated fat (coconut oil/butter/cream) may not be as bad for us as
> >
> > we once thought, and we are learning more about the different types of
> > saturated fat and their effects. But they do not appear to be protective
> >
> > like unsaturated fats are, so it is best to continue to focus on those.
> >
> > — Regarding egg yolks, the yolk of an egg contains all of its fat
> > (much
> > of it saturated) and cholesterol, but it also contains most of its
> > nutrients €” minerals, vitamins, etc. One whole egg a day is fine for a
> >
> > heart-healthy diet and offers a lot when it comes to nutrition and
> > satisfaction.
> >
> > — We do need fat for health, but we do not necessarily need animal
> > fat.
> > Essential fatty acids come from plant sources. Interestingly though,
> > lard has less saturated fat than butter, so it is no worse than butter
> > but somehow has a worse reputation. All fats have a variety of fatty
> > acid types.

> Canola oil aka..Rape Seed oil is a polyunsaturated poison...not to be
> lumped in with olive oil which is a healthy monounsaturated oil.

While I agree that canola is unheathfully high in Omega 6 (linoleic acid),
calling any polyunsaturate "poison" lumps it in with trans fat (elaidic
acid), which is a inaccurate. One should certainly limit Omega 6
polyunsaturates, but should completely avoid partially hydrogenated fats.

> Saturated fats such as hog lard..coconut and palm oil are good.

I will agree about the coconut, but not lard, nor palm oil. Now, palm
*kernel* oil is similar to coconut oil. Lard, tallow, palm oil and
butterfat are a mixed bag. If one is in good shape, and gets lots of
exercise, those fats, which are high in palmitic and myristic acids, should
be fine, and you can't discount the mental health benefits of things like
butter and bacon (I'm not kidding).

The only vegetable oils in my house are high oleic sunflower, which I use
as my only neutral tasting oil, Kirkland organic EVOO, which I use for
flavoring a limited number of things, cocoa butter, and refined coconut,
which I add in small amounts as a source of lauric acid. I keep meaning to
buy some more unrefined coconut for flavoring. I also have fish oil, but
that is in capsules, and is a supplemental source of Omega 3.

Today has been quite a day. I woke to news that was somewhat disappointing..
The model that I'd wanted for my back cover declined the offer, which is
understandable, as she is not a professional model, and *Winter's Present*
is, or has the potential to be controversial. Then, I stayed up quite late
because we went to see a RnR show, Ian Hunter and his Rant Band. Heck, I had
to, as Hunter and Mott the Hoople are mentioned in the novel, and I was happy
that the two of the three songs mentioned in the book--*Roll Away the Stone*
and *I Wish I Was Your Mother* were on his playlist.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9IOKo6UPBg

> --
> bigwheel

--Bryan