Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Trans Fats

Are there any food products still with trans fats available anywhere
in the U.S.A.? I find that foods with trans fats taste much better. Any
thoughts?

Cheers!
Chuck Kopsho
Oceanside, California

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 6 Feb 2010 20:31:05 -0800, Chuck Kopsho wrote:

> Are there any food products still with trans fats available anywhere
> in the U.S.A.?

I just bought and read the label of Gardetto's Roasted Garlic Rye
Chips. I never thought to look, it's just bread, right?

A 30gr serving has 10 grams of fat, 3 of them are Trans Fat.\

Those Frito Lay cheese filled crackers (Packs of 6 at the Quickie
Mart) have 3.5 grams per package.

> I find that foods with trans fats taste much better. Any thoughts?

Every thread you start you always ask the same question and the
answer is always the same: You're An Idiot.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chuck Kopsho wrote:
> Are there any food products still with trans fats available anywhere
> in the U.S.A.? I find that foods with trans fats taste much better. Any
> thoughts?
>
> Cheers!
> Chuck Kopsho
> Oceanside, California

You can get the same great taste by using coconut oil. Some people
say it's good for you, some people say it's terrible for you, so
either way you win. HTH :-)

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 06 Feb 2010 23:07:19 -0600, zxcvbob wrote:

> You can get the same great taste by using coconut oil. Some people
> say it's good for you, some people say it's terrible for you, so
> either way you win. HTH :-)

A lot of manufacturers use it not for taste, but for shelf-life.
And it's cheaper than lard (which also suffers from short life
span).

Coconut oil, while also solid at room temp, does not have the life
span in processed foods (with questionable packaging like those
cheese crackers I mention).

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 6, 10:31*pm, (Chuck Kopsho) wrote:
> * Are there any food products still with *trans fats available anywhere
> in the U.S.A.? I find that foods with trans fats taste much better. Any
> thoughts?
>
> Cheers!
> Chuck Kopsho
> Oceanside, California

Within the next five years or so, I'll be looking for the postage
stamp sized story that says "Remember all the trans fat hysteria?
Well, it turns out that that was just another flaming bag of
fearmongering dog poop that got tossed onto America's porch." When it
happens, and it will, I'll just toss it on the shelf next to:

Bird Flu is going to kill us all
Allar is going to kill us all
Cholesterol is going to kill us all
Not getting an H1N1 shot is going to kill us all
Secondhand smoke is going to kill us all
Riding a bike without a helmet will kill your child
Popcorn is going to kill us all
Coffee is going to kill us all
Eggs are going to kill us
e Coli is going to kill us
Rare meat is going to kill us
Direct grilling is deadly
Plastic water bottles cause cancer

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 6 Feb 2010 23:39:44 -0600, Sqwertz wrote:

> On Sat, 06 Feb 2010 23:07:19 -0600, zxcvbob wrote:
>
>> You can get the same great taste by using coconut oil. Some people
>> say it's good for you, some people say it's terrible for you, so
>> either way you win. HTH :-)

> A lot of manufacturers use it not for taste, but for shelf-life.
> And it's cheaper than lard (which also suffers from short life
> span).

i thought most of the laws concerned food prepared on-premises, not
mass-produced stuff. don't twinkies still have it?

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 7 Feb 2010 11:16:52 -0500, blake murphy wrote:

> On Sat, 6 Feb 2010 23:39:44 -0600, Sqwertz wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 06 Feb 2010 23:07:19 -0600, zxcvbob wrote:
>>
>>> You can get the same great taste by using coconut oil. Some people
>>> say it's good for you, some people say it's terrible for you, so
>>> either way you win. HTH :-)

>> A lot of manufacturers use it not for taste, but for shelf-life.
>> And it's cheaper than lard (which also suffers from short life
>> span).
>>

> i thought most of the laws concerned food prepared on-premises, not
> mass-produced stuff. don't twinkies still have it?

None of the laws affect manufacturers use of partially hydrogenated
oils. These are all local laws. No state or city can pass a law
that affects a manufacturer's ability to engages in interstate
commerce. Most restaurants do not engage such activities to be
protected by Interstate Commerce laws.

But places like Marie Calendars *could* sell mail order pies with
trans-fats anywhere they want. And they may be exempt for in-store
sales in jurisdictions that *do* have trans-fats laws, even if they
are based in that jurisdiction. But IANAL.

I wonder if I open a non-profit, religion-based restaurant, if I
could use trans-fats or would I forfeit my right to freedom of
religion?

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 7, 4:15*am, Christopher Helms > wrote:
> On Feb 6, 10:31*pm, (Chuck Kopsho) wrote:
>
> > * Are there any food products still with *trans fats available anywhere
> > in the U.S.A.? I find that foods with trans fats taste much better. Any
> > thoughts?

> > Cheers!
> > Chuck Kopsho
> > Oceanside, California

> Within the next five years or so, I'll be looking for the postage
> stamp sized story that says "Remember all the trans fat hysteria?
> Well, it turns out that that was just another flaming bag of
> fearmongering dog poop that got tossed onto America's porch." When it
> happens, and it will, I'll just toss it on the shelf next to:

> Secondhand smoke is going to kill us all

No one said it would kill us all, but it does kill.

> Riding a bike without a helmet will kill your child

This proves what an idiot you are.
http://www.stlouischildrens.org/cont...BikeSafety.htm

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christopher Helms wrote:
> Bird Flu is going to kill us all
> Allar is going to kill us all
> Cholesterol is going to kill us all
> Not getting an H1N1 shot is going to kill us all
> Secondhand smoke is going to kill us all
> Riding a bike without a helmet will kill your child
> Popcorn is going to kill us all
> Coffee is going to kill us all
> Eggs are going to kill us
> e Coli is going to kill us
> Rare meat is going to kill us
> Direct grilling is deadly
> Plastic water bottles cause cancer

Don't forget Legionaire's Disease and Monkey Pox.

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Becca wrote:
> Christopher Helms wrote:
>> Bird Flu is going to kill us all
>> Allar is going to kill us all
>> Cholesterol is going to kill us all
>> Not getting an H1N1 shot is going to kill us all
>> Secondhand smoke is going to kill us all
>> Riding a bike without a helmet will kill your child
>> Popcorn is going to kill us all
>> Coffee is going to kill us all
>> Eggs are going to kill us
>> e Coli is going to kill us
>> Rare meat is going to kill us
>> Direct grilling is deadly
>> Plastic water bottles cause cancer
>>

> Don't forget Legionaire's Disease and Monkey Pox.
>
> Becca

Age will kill us too!
Dora
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dora wrote:
> Becca wrote:
>> Christopher Helms wrote:
>>> Bird Flu is going to kill us all
>>> Allar is going to kill us all
>>> Cholesterol is going to kill us all
>>> Not getting an H1N1 shot is going to kill us all
>>> Secondhand smoke is going to kill us all
>>> Riding a bike without a helmet will kill your child
>>> Popcorn is going to kill us all
>>> Coffee is going to kill us all
>>> Eggs are going to kill us
>>> e Coli is going to kill us
>>> Rare meat is going to kill us
>>> Direct grilling is deadly
>>> Plastic water bottles cause cancer
>>>

>> Don't forget Legionaire's Disease and Monkey Pox.
>>
>> Becca

> Age will kill us too!
> Dora

Death, life's evil twin.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 8, 11:00*am, Becca > wrote:
> Christopher Helms wrote:
> > Bird Flu is going to kill us all
> > Allar is going to kill us all
> > Cholesterol is going to kill us all
> > Not getting an H1N1 shot is going to kill us all
> > Secondhand smoke is going to kill us all
> > Riding a bike without a helmet will kill your child
> > Popcorn is going to kill us all
> > Coffee is going to kill us all
> > Eggs are going to kill us
> > e Coli is going to kill us
> > Rare meat is going to kill us
> > Direct grilling is deadly
> > Plastic water bottles cause cancer

> Don't forget Legionaire's Disease and Monkey Pox.
>
> Becca

I did forget those. Also, I am recently informed that drinking two
bottles of regular old Coca-Cola a week is now a pancreatic cancer
threat.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 8, 8:31*am, zxcvbob > wrote:
> Christopher Helms wrote:
>
> > ...just another flaming bag of fearmongering dog poop that got
> > tossed onto America's porch.

> Very nice metaphor. *I'll try to find an excuse to use it at work
> this week :-)
>
> Bob

I felt pretty good about that metaphor myself.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/02/2010 10:03 AM, Becca wrote:
> Dora wrote:
>> Becca wrote:
>>>>

>>> Don't forget Legionaire's Disease and Monkey Pox.
>>>
>>> Becca

>> Age will kill us too!
>> Dora

> Death, life's evil twin.
>
> Becca

None of us, without exception, will get out of here alive!

Krypsis

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christopher Helms wrote:
> On Feb 8, 11:00 am, Becca > wrote:
>> Christopher Helms wrote:
>>> Bird Flu is going to kill us all
>>> Allar is going to kill us all
>>> Cholesterol is going to kill us all
>>> Not getting an H1N1 shot is going to kill us all
>>> Secondhand smoke is going to kill us all
>>> Riding a bike without a helmet will kill your child
>>> Popcorn is going to kill us all
>>> Coffee is going to kill us all
>>> Eggs are going to kill us
>>> e Coli is going to kill us
>>> Rare meat is going to kill us
>>> Direct grilling is deadly
>>> Plastic water bottles cause cancer

>> Don't forget Legionaire's Disease and Monkey Pox.
>>
>> Becca

> I did forget those. Also, I am recently informed that drinking two
> bottles of regular old Coca-Cola a week is now a pancreatic cancer
> threat.

Link? Having recently perused the list of ingredients on Coke
(which I never drink), I am curious about this.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 9, 6:35*am, "Jean B." > wrote:
> Christopher Helms wrote:
> >> Don't forget Legionaire's Disease and Monkey Pox.

> >> Becca

> > I did forget those. Also, I am recently informed that drinking two
> > bottles of regular old Coca-Cola a week is now a pancreatic cancer
> > threat.

> Link? *Having recently perused the list of ingredients on Coke
> (which I never drink), I am curious about this.
>
> --
> Jean B.

The story is about regular soda in general, not specifically Coke,
although that would obviously be included.

http://rawstory.com/2010/02/study-li...reatic-cancer/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jean B. wrote:
> Christopher Helms wrote:
>>> Don't forget Legionaire's Disease and Monkey Pox.
>>>
>>> Becca

>> I did forget those. Also, I am recently informed that drinking two
>> bottles of regular old Coca-Cola a week is now a pancreatic cancer
>> threat.

> Link? Having recently perused the list of ingredients on Coke
> (which I never drink), I am curious about this.

Googling "coca cola pancreatic cancer" found a bunch of links. It seems
that it's not just Coca Cola, it's any sugar sweetened soft drink.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

> I wonder if I open a non-profit, religion-based restaurant, if I
> could use trans-fats or would I forfeit my right to freedom of
> religion?

Hmmm . . . what would you call it? The Church of Transfatology?

I suppose it would be a good tax dodge if you could develop
a chain restaurant disguised as a religion.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 8 Feb 2010 15:59:50 -0500, Dora wrote:

> Becca wrote:
>> Christopher Helms wrote:
>>> Bird Flu is going to kill us all
>>> Allar is going to kill us all
>>> Cholesterol is going to kill us all
>>> Not getting an H1N1 shot is going to kill us all
>>> Secondhand smoke is going to kill us all
>>> Riding a bike without a helmet will kill your child
>>> Popcorn is going to kill us all
>>> Coffee is going to kill us all
>>> Eggs are going to kill us
>>> e Coli is going to kill us
>>> Rare meat is going to kill us
>>> Direct grilling is deadly
>>> Plastic water bottles cause cancer
>>>

>> Don't forget Legionaire's Disease and Monkey Pox.
>>
>> Becca

> Age will kill us too!
> Dora

not me.

your pal,
dorian

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Makes one wonder how Julia Child lived to age 92 (minus a few days) with all
the butter she used - in everything.

JonquilJan

Learn something new every day
As long as you are learning, you are living
When you stop learning, you start dying

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 9, 2:34*pm, Mark Thorson > wrote:
> Sqwertz wrote:
>
> > I wonder if I open a non-profit, religion-based restaurant, if I
> > could use trans-fats or would I forfeit my right to freedom of
> > religion?

> Hmmm . . . what would you call it? *The Church of Transfatology?
>
> I suppose it would be a good tax dodge if you could develop
> a chain restaurant disguised as a religion.

I never tried chains. I bet you have to cook them for a really long
time.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

JonquilJan wrote on Tue, 9 Feb 2010 16:20:34 -0500:

>Makes one wonder how Julia Child lived to age 92 (minus a few days)
>with all the butter she used - in everything.

Deviations don't disprove general tendencies. There are centenarians who
are on record as have drunk and smoked most of their lives but smoking
cigarets will very likely eventually cause lung cancer or emphysema in
most people.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"blake murphy" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 8 Feb 2010 15:59:50 -0500, Dora wrote:

>> Age will kill us too!
>> Dora

> not me.
> your pal,
> dorian

Me neither,
Sibyl

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"JonquilJan" > wrote in message
. ..
> Makes one wonder how Julia Child lived to age 92 (minus a few days) with
> all the butter she used - in everything.
>
> JonquilJan

What most people don't understand, JJ, is that's WHY she lived to such a
lovely old age.

Felice
82 and still buttering anything that doesn't move

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Felice wrote:
> "JonquilJan" > wrote in message
> . ..
>> Makes one wonder how Julia Child lived to age 92 (minus a few days) with
>> all the butter she used - in everything.
>>
>> JonquilJan

> What most people don't understand, JJ, is that's WHY she lived to such a
> lovely old age.
>
> Felice
> 82 and still buttering anything that doesn't move

Good for you! I once had a relative who was in her 90's and one day,
her sister gave her a hard time for eating bacon. I told them both that
if I lived to be in my 90's I would eat a whole pig dipped in mayo while
smoking a cigar.

Moderation is for Monks!

George L
Posted to rec.food.cooking

George Leppla wrote:
> Felice wrote:
>> "JonquilJan" > wrote in message
>> . ..
>>> Makes one wonder how Julia Child lived to age 92 (minus a few days)
>>> with all the butter she used - in everything.
>>>
>>> JonquilJan

>> What most people don't understand, JJ, is that's WHY she lived to such
>> a lovely old age.
>>
>> Felice
>> 82 and still buttering anything that doesn't move

> Good for you! I once had a relative who was in her 90's and one day,
> her sister gave her a hard time for eating bacon. I told them both that
> if I lived to be in my 90's I would eat a whole pig dipped in mayo while
> smoking a cigar.
>
> Moderation is for Monks!
>
> George L

I don't think I've ever seen a pig smoking a cigar... but I suppose
that might distract it long enough to dip.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Felice" > wrote in message

> "JonquilJan" > wrote in message
> . ..
>> Makes one wonder how Julia Child lived to age 92 (minus a few days) with
>> all the butter she used - in everything.
>>
>> JonquilJan

> What most people don't understand, JJ, is that's WHY she lived to such a
> lovely old age.
>
> Felice
> 82 and still buttering anything that doesn't move

I can agree with you!

JonquilJan
71 and buttering away.

Learn something new every day
As long as you are learning, you are living
When you stop learning, you start dying

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christopher Helms wrote:
> On Feb 9, 6:35 am, "Jean B." > wrote:
>> Christopher Helms wrote:
>>> I did forget those. Also, I am recently informed that drinking two
>>> bottles of regular old Coca-Cola a week is now a pancreatic cancer
>>> threat.

>> Link? Having recently perused the list of ingredients on Coke
>> (which I never drink), I am curious about this.
>>
>> --
>> Jean B.

> The story is about regular soda in general, not specifically Coke,
> although that would obviously be included.
>
> http://rawstory.com/2010/02/study-li...reatic-cancer/

Thank you. My mother died of pancreatic cancer, as did one of her
aunts. This makes me glad I don't like soft drinks!

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

J. Clarke wrote:
> Jean B. wrote:
>> Christopher Helms wrote:

>>> I did forget those. Also, I am recently informed that drinking two
>>> bottles of regular old Coca-Cola a week is now a pancreatic cancer
>>> threat.

>> Link? Having recently perused the list of ingredients on Coke
>> (which I never drink), I am curious about this.

> Googling "coca cola pancreatic cancer" found a bunch of links. It seems
> that it's not just Coca Cola, it's any sugar sweetened soft drink.

So I see. Thanks!

--
Jean B.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"George Leppla" > wrote in message
> Felice wrote:
>> "JonquilJan" > wrote in message
>> . ..
>>> Makes one wonder how Julia Child lived to age 92 (minus a few days) with
>>> all the butter she used - in everything.
>>>
>>> JonquilJan

>> What most people don't understand, JJ, is that's WHY she lived to such a
>> lovely old age.
>>
>> Felice
>> 82 and still buttering anything that doesn't move

> Good for you! I once had a relative who was in her 90's and one day, her
> sister gave her a hard time for eating bacon. I told them both that if I
> lived to be in my 90's I would eat a whole pig dipped in mayo while
> smoking a cigar.

And, I hope, washing it down with a Bad-for-You Beverage.
Felice

> Moderation is for Monks!
>
> George L

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 9 Feb 2010 17:04:46 -0500, Felice wrote:

> "blake murphy" > wrote in message
>> On Mon, 8 Feb 2010 15:59:50 -0500, Dora wrote:

>>> Age will kill us too!
>>> Dora

>> not me.
>> your pal,