Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default How do you stop the political promo calls?

I swear, I'm getting up to half dozen calls per hr and they're all
political promo recordings. I'm about to take the phone off the hook.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Wednesday, October 22, 2014 12:26:55 PM UTC-7, notbob wrote:
> I swear, I'm getting up to half dozen calls per hr and they're all
> political promo recordings. I'm about to take the phone off the hook.
>
> nb

dont answer the phone, screen your calls with your answering machine.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 22 Oct 2014 19:26:51 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>I swear, I'm getting up to half dozen calls per hr and they're all
>political promo recordings. I'm about to take the phone off the hook.
>
>nb

If you find a way to stop them, let me know. We get several a day and
they are almost all showing with phone numbers of 000-000-0000. I
just checked and since 10/08 we have had 25 calls, 3 of which were
from people we knew and 1 probable from my doctor.

The big problem is that you cannot actually talk to anyone. I
sometimes slam down the phone but I'm sure there is no living person
on the other end. Makes me feel better. DH has at least once pushed
the 7 or 8 button when they ask for 1 or 2. After a couple of times
the hang up.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 22 Oct 2014 19:26:51 GMT, notbob > wrote:

> I swear, I'm getting up to half dozen calls per hr and they're all
> political promo recordings. I'm about to take the phone off the hook.
>
> nb

Between the two of us, we haven't gotten a single call like that. Oh,
wait. It's because we have cell phones. ;P

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/22/2014 3:44 PM, The Cook wrote:
> On 22 Oct 2014 19:26:51 GMT, notbob > wrote:
>
>> I swear, I'm getting up to half dozen calls per hr and they're all
>> political promo recordings. I'm about to take the phone off the hook.
>>
>> nb

> If you find a way to stop them, let me know. We get several a day and
> they are almost all showing with phone numbers of 000-000-0000. I
> just checked and since 10/08 we have had 25 calls, 3 of which were
> from people we knew and 1 probable from my doctor.
>
> The big problem is that you cannot actually talk to anyone. I
> sometimes slam down the phone but I'm sure there is no living person
> on the other end. Makes me feel better. DH has at least once pushed
> the 7 or 8 button when they ask for 1 or 2. After a couple of times
> the hang up.

I don't get many phone calls asking for political contributions but I
think I get about 10 hysterical e-mails each day implying that if I do
not contribute the Kochs will prevail.

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not." in Reply To.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message
>I swear, I'm getting up to half dozen calls per hr and they're all
> political promo recordings. I'm about to take the phone off the hook.
>
> nb

Nothing to do about it since they are exempt from the do not call list, but
they'll stop when the elections are over. I simply let all unrecognized
calls go to the answering machine now.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 22 Oct 2014 19:26:51 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>I swear, I'm getting up to half dozen calls per hr and they're all
>political promo recordings. I'm about to take the phone off the hook.
>
>nb

You can't, short of getting rid of your phone.

It's a wonderful nation we have, eh? ;-)

John Kuthe...

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, October 22, 2014 2:51:42 PM UTC-5, James Silverton wrote:
> On 10/22/2014 3:44 PM, The Cook wrote:
> > On 22 Oct 2014 19:26:51 GMT, notbob > wrote:
> >
> >> I swear, I'm getting up to half dozen calls per hr and they're all
> >> political promo recordings. I'm about to take the phone off the hook.
> >>
> >> nb

> > If you find a way to stop them, let me know. We get several a day and
> > they are almost all showing with phone numbers of 000-000-0000. I
> > just checked and since 10/08 we have had 25 calls, 3 of which were
> > from people we knew and 1 probable from my doctor.
> >
> > The big problem is that you cannot actually talk to anyone. I
> > sometimes slam down the phone but I'm sure there is no living person
> > on the other end. Makes me feel better. DH has at least once pushed
> > the 7 or 8 button when they ask for 1 or 2. After a couple of times
> > the hang up.
> >

> I don't get many phone calls asking for political contributions but I
> think I get about 10 hysterical e-mails each day implying that if I do
> not contribute the Kochs will prevail.

And other folks get material that truly is funded by the Kochs. If someone
would suicide bomb those assholes, I might put his/her picture on my living
room wall, or on a tee shirt with the caption, "AMERICAN HERO."

> --
> Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, October 22, 2014 12:26:55 PM UTC-7, notbob wrote:

> I swear, I'm getting up to half dozen calls per hr and they're all
> political promo recordings. I'm about to take the phone off the hook.

I just let their machine talk to my machine. No harm done.

But my MIL years ago was excited to hear Bill Clinton recommend some senator
or other.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On 22 Oct 2014 19:26:51 GMT, notbob > wrote:
>
>> I swear, I'm getting up to half dozen calls per hr and they're all
>> political promo recordings. I'm about to take the phone off the hook.
>>
>> nb

> Between the two of us, we haven't gotten a single call like that. Oh,
> wait. It's because we have cell phones. ;P

I rarely get political calls.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, October 23, 2014 12:23:53 AM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:

> I rarely get political calls.

That's quite interesting.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 22 Oct 2014 22:22:43 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"sf" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On 22 Oct 2014 19:26:51 GMT, notbob > wrote:
>>
>>> I swear, I'm getting up to half dozen calls per hr and they're all
>>> political promo recordings. I'm about to take the phone off the hook.
>>>
>>> nb

>> Between the two of us, we haven't gotten a single call like that. Oh,
>> wait. It's because we have cell phones. ;P

>I rarely get political calls.

Are you registered to vote?
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, October 22, 2014 3:51:42 PM UTC-4, James Silverton wrote:
> On 10/22/2014 3:44 PM, The Cook wrote:
> > On 22 Oct 2014 19:26:51 GMT, notbob > wrote:
> >
> >> I swear, I'm getting up to half dozen calls per hr and they're all
> >> political promo recordings. I'm about to take the phone off the hook.
> >>
> >> nb

> > If you find a way to stop them, let me know. We get several a day and
> > they are almost all showing with phone numbers of 000-000-0000. I
> > just checked and since 10/08 we have had 25 calls, 3 of which were
> > from people we knew and 1 probable from my doctor.
> >
> > The big problem is that you cannot actually talk to anyone. I
> > sometimes slam down the phone but I'm sure there is no living person
> > on the other end. Makes me feel better. DH has at least once pushed
> > the 7 or 8 button when they ask for 1 or 2. After a couple of times
> > the hang up.
> >

> I don't get many phone calls asking for political contributions but I
> think I get about 10 hysterical e-mails each day implying that if I do
> not contribute the Kochs will prevail.
>
> --
> Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)
>
> Extraneous "not." in Reply To.

Yeah, but when the son of a deposed Nigerian prince calls, what are you going to do? - Mike

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/23/2014 7:46 AM, The Cook wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Oct 2014 22:22:43 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:

>> "sf" > wrote

>>> Between the two of us, we haven't gotten a single call like that. Oh,
>>> wait. It's because we have cell phones. ;P

>> I rarely get political calls.

> Are you registered to vote?

Knock wood, I have never gotten a political call in my
life. Not when I had a land line, not now that I only
have cell phones.

Yes, I am registered and I do vote.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/22/2014 2:26 PM, notbob wrote:
> I swear, I'm getting up to half dozen calls per hr and they're all
> political promo recordings. I'm about to take the phone off the hook.

There are two broad groups of political promo calls: those designed to
get out the vote, and those designed to dissuade people from voting.
The second type usually flood targeted communities shortly before the
election. The way they work is to either deliberately provide
misinformation (such as telling people to go vote at the wrong
precinct, or claiming election day is one day after its actual date)
or to antagonize voters by harassing them with endless calls
supposedly supporting the candidate(s) that the voters are most likely
to support. People understandably get ****ed off when their
candidate/party is *apparently* hounding them to death, and often
retaliate by voting for the opposing candidate, or not voting at all.
Mission accomplished.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:

> I swear, I'm getting up to half dozen calls per hr and they're all
> political promo recordings. I'm about to take the phone off the hook.
>
> nb

You can't via the Do Not Call registry since the politicos exempted
themselves from that law. You have really two options I can see:

1. Simply don't answer the phone - This is what I've done for years, if
it's a legit call they will leave a message, if a robo-call 99% of the
time it doesn't leave a message.

2. Put a message on your answerer/voicemail stating that political calls
are not accepted and repeat calls will be prosecuted for trespass. There
was a lot of talk with the Do Not Call registry of first amendment
rights to access the Public Switched Telephone Network, however the PSTN
ends at the telco box on the side of your house. Everything past that
point is your privately owned equipment and thus unauthorized access
should be prosecutable as trespass exactly the same way as your other
physical property.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/23/2014 8:39 AM, Nancy Young wrote:
> On 10/23/2014 7:46 AM, The Cook wrote:
>> On Wed, 22 Oct 2014 22:22:43 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:

>>> "sf" > wrote

>>> I rarely get political calls.

>> Are you registered to vote?

> Knock wood, I have never gotten a political call in my
> life. Not when I had a land line, not now that I only
> have cell phones.
>
> Yes, I am registered and I do vote.
>
> nancy

I get those calls but they're just recorded messages. As someone else
said, their machine can talk to my machine. No problem.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/23/2014 10:05 AM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 10/23/2014 8:39 AM, Nancy Young wrote:

>> Knock wood, I have never gotten a political call in my
>> life. Not when I had a land line, not now that I only
>> have cell phones.

> I get those calls but they're just recorded messages. As someone else
> said, their machine can talk to my machine. No problem.

Actually, some guy did knock on my door the other day. I wasn't
the one to answer, which is good because I'd first seen his
name in the paper that morning, some ruckus over unpaid
parking tickets. I just might have said, Oh, the parking
ticket guy. Not good.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

aid, their machine can talk to my machine. No problem.

> Actually, some guy did knock on my door the other day. I wasn't
> the one to answer, which is good because I'd first seen his
> name in the paper that morning, some ruckus over unpaid
> parking tickets. I just might have said, Oh, the parking
> ticket guy. Not good.

We have municipal elections coming up next week. Several of the
candidates claim to be running with the promise of listening to the
residents. They claim the the current mayor and council do not listen to
the people. I am inclined to agree with them about that.... but... not
one of them has come around. Only one has dropped off any literature.
One candidate for mayor did not even submit anything to the local paper
for this week's article on the candidate's platforms.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, October 22, 2014 3:26:55 PM UTC-4, notbob wrote:
> I swear, I'm getting up to half dozen calls per hr and they're all
> political promo recordings. I'm about to take the phone off the hook.
>
> nb

I'm getting them too. They even leave a message on the machine so....I can either unplug the phone at the connecting block, leave the house, or listen. Thing is, I've been waiting for an important call, and hate to think that the caller is getting a busy, due to these junk calls.

I'm working on some tough music now and I have had to interrupt myself to listen to what has usually turned out to be a @$#% message. Wrecks concentration.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-10-22, > wrote:

> that then don't answer ! They will eventually fade away.

I notice they all stop at 2000hrs, CO time, regardless of origin.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-10-22, ImStillMags > wrote:

> dont answer the phone, screen your calls with your answering machine.

That's pretty much my only strategy, short of disconnecting the
phone. I was getting as many as half dozen per hour. No
exaggeration.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "sf" > wrote in message
>> On 22 Oct 2014 19:26:51 GMT, notbob > wrote:
>>
>>> I swear, I'm getting up to half dozen calls per hr and they're all
>>> political promo recordings. I'm about to take the phone off the hook.
>>>
>>> nb

>> Between the two of us, we haven't gotten a single call like that. Oh,
>> wait. It's because we have cell phones. ;P

> I rarely get political calls.

That's probably because you don't vote.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
>The Cook wrote:
>>"Julie Bove" wrote:
>>> "sf" > wrote

>>> I rarely get political calls.

>> Are you registered to vote?

>Knock wood, I have never gotten a political call in my
>life. Not when I had a land line, not now that I only
>have cell phones.
>Yes, I am registered and I do vote.

I vote but I'm not registered, never registered.
I've never received a political phone call.
But I must get some 25 pieces of political mail in my POB every day...
I think every POB gets political mail. I get those over sized glossy
post card thingies... I never read them, I tear out my name and
address, snip them to bits, and they all go into the trash at the post
office, same as all junk mail, I don't bring them home.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message

> I vote but I'm not registered, never registered.
> I've never received a political phone call.

Your number is probably flagged by politicians who don't want to have their
name associated with you by any traceable means. ha ha ha ha

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/23/2014 12:05 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:

> I vote but I'm not registered, never registered.

If you're not registered, you can't vote.
I assume you mean that you haven't registered _as a member of a
particular political party_. Many people register as unaffiliated or
independent.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 23 Oct 2014 12:15:37 -0400, S Viemeister
> wrote:

>On 10/23/2014 12:05 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>
>> I vote but I'm not registered, never registered.

>If you're not registered, you can't vote.
>I assume you mean that you haven't registered _as a member of a
>particular political party_. Many people register as unaffiliated or
>independent.

I'm assuming that's what he means.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

They are exempt from the do not call registry, so you cannot stop them. All you can do is ignore them.
Just be glad you don't live in Iowa. Or, I am sure, New Hampshire. LOL.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 23 Oct 2014 09:20:17 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2
> wrote:

>They are exempt from the do not call registry, so you cannot stop them. All you can do is ignore them.
>Just be glad you don't live in Iowa. Or, I am sure, New Hampshire. LOL.
>
>N.

My MIL recently said that another thing that was really wonderful
about living at a senior facility was that she no longer got all the
political calls. (Iowa)
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 22 Oct 2014 16:28:20 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:

> There used to be a little known "Political Do Not Call List",

> I have space for rent inside Barbara's head. It's priced to
> move - well below market price.

> I will give you $5,000 when Burger King announces a Long Whopper. In
> the meantime, I've got a long whopper for you - just bend over and
> I'll give it to you.

> You said "oval-shaped beef patty", not burger, you fat **** asshole.
> You even quoted it for all of us to see. Dumbass.
>
> You lose again.
>
> -sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 22 Oct 2014 22:22:43 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On 22 Oct 2014 19:26:51 GMT, notbob > wrote:
> >
> >> I swear, I'm getting up to half dozen calls per hr and they're all
> >> political promo recordings. I'm about to take the phone off the hook.
> >>
> >> nb

> > Between the two of us, we haven't gotten a single call like that. Oh,
> > wait. It's because we have cell phones. ;P

> I rarely get political calls.

To be honest, I think the outside money that funds those political
calls is funneled into swing (aka: battleground) states or districts.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 23 Oct 2014 09:12:20 -0700, "Cheri" >
wrote:

>"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
.. .

>> I vote but I'm not registered, never registered.
>> I've never received a political phone call.

>Your number is probably flagged by politicians who don't want to have their
>name associated with you by any traceable means. ha ha ha ha
>
>Cheri

Not too smart... polititions will take any vote.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

S Viemeister wrote:
>Brooklyn1 wrote:
>
>> I vote but I'm not registered, never registered.

>If you're not registered, you can't vote.
>I assume you mean that you haven't registered _as a member of a
>particular political party_. Many people register as unaffiliated or
>independent.

You probably never vote or you'd know that one needs to register only
to vote in the primaries, don't need to register to vote in the
general election.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 23 Oct 2014 10:19:06 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:

>On Thu, 23 Oct 2014 12:15:37 -0400, S Viemeister
> wrote:
>
>>On 10/23/2014 12:05 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>>
>>> I vote but I'm not registered, never registered.

>>If you're not registered, you can't vote.
>>I assume you mean that you haven't registered _as a member of a
>>particular political party_. Many people register as unaffiliated or
>>independent.

>I'm assuming that's what he means.
>Janet US

Nope. I don't need to register to any party to vote in the general
election, only to vote in the primaries. Primaries are only like
taking a poll, those votes don't count so why should I bother.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/23/2014 12:05 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> Nancy Young wrote:

>> Knock wood, I have never gotten a political call in my
>> life. Not when I had a land line, not now that I only
>> have cell phones.
>> Yes, I am registered and I do vote.

> But I must get some 25 pieces of political mail in my POB every day...
> I think every POB gets political mail. I get those over sized glossy
> post card thingies... I never read them, I tear out my name and
> address, snip them to bits, and they all go into the trash at the post
> office, same as all junk mail, I don't bring them home.

I do get those large post cards. They never tell me anything
worth a damn about the candidate (lower taxes! No corruption!
no shit, everyone says that) but I see nice photos of them and
maybe their family.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, October 23, 2014 11:58:22 AM UTC-4, Cheri wrote:
> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> > I rarely get political calls.

> That's probably because you don't vote.

Which comes as a great relief to me.

I recall she said she doesn't know who Nancy Pelosi is,
and indicated she didn't care about California politicians. Never mind that Pelosi was
Speaker of the House from 2007 to 2011. Right after
the Vice President in the succession to the presidency.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, October 23, 2014 12:05:36 PM UTC-4, Brooklyn1 wrote:

> I vote but I'm not registered, never registered.

Voter registration is required in New York:

http://www.elections.ny.gov/VotingRegister.html

You are not required to declare a political party affiliation.
The voter registration form has a check box for
"I do not wish to enroll in a party".

When you go to your polling place (or apply for an absentee
ballot), do they look you up on a list or in a database
to ensure you are a qualified voter?

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-10-23 4:21 PM, The Other Guy wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Oct 2014 12:49:21 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:
>
>> Which comes as a great relief to me.

> Meow.
>
>> I recall she said she doesn't know who Nancy Pelosi is,
>> and indicated she didn't care about California politicians. Never mind that Pelosi was
>> Speaker of the House from 2007 to 2011.

> SO F-ing what?? MILLIONS of voters don't know or care,
> ESPECIALLY people who don't have to vote for her as
> they don't live in California, which is a good part of
> WHY Congress is dysfunctional, and will remain so.

That may be, but I thought the point that she broadcasts her ignorance.
If you don't know who Nancy Pelosi is, don't bother announcing it to
the world. She spends all goddamned day on the computer, so she could
Google Pelosi, save her self the embarrassment of linking her to
California and letting the world know that she is too dumb to know and
too stupid to care.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 23 Oct 2014 14:49:34 -0400, Brooklyn1
> wrote:

>On Thu, 23 Oct 2014 10:19:06 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 23 Oct 2014 12:15:37 -0400, S Viemeister
> wrote:

>>>If you're not registered, you can't vote.
>>>I assume you mean that you haven't registered _as a member of a
>>>particular political party_. Many people register as unaffiliated or
>>>independent.

>>I'm assuming that's what he means.
>>Janet US

>Nope. I don't need to register to any party to vote in the general
>election, only to vote in the primaries. Primaries are only like
>taking a poll, those votes don't count so why should I bother.

Around here you don't have to register (sign up, declare your
intention to vote) but once. You give your name and address. If you
change precincts, then you must sign up again. You will not be
allowed to vote unless your name is on the list. You do not have to
affiliate with any party to do so. I registered once a very, very
long time ago when I moved here.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 23 Oct 2014 15:20:44 -0400, Nancy Young
> wrote:

>On 10/23/2014 12:05 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>> Nancy Young wrote:

>>> Knock wood, I have never gotten a political call in my
>>> life. Not when I had a land line, not now that I only
>>> have cell phones.
>>> Yes, I am registered and I do vote.

>> But I must get some 25 pieces of political mail in my POB every day...
>> I think every POB gets political mail. I get those over sized glossy
>> post card thingies... I never read them, I tear out my name and
>> address, snip them to bits, and they all go into the trash at the post
>> office, same as all junk mail, I don't bring them home.

>I do get those large post cards. They never tell me anything
>worth a damn about the candidate (lower taxes! No corruption!
>no shit, everyone says that) but I see nice photos of them and
>maybe their family.
>
>nancy

I wish everyone asking for my vote -- judges to dog catcher -- was
required to declare their political party.
Janet US