Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Much better bread recipe!

I just tried this one.

http://www.veganbaking.net/recipes/b...sandwich-bread

Although it is much more time consuming, the results are much better. This
dough is much less elastic and I got a much better rise on it. I did not
have any wheat germ to put on the top but I don't think that matters much
one way or the other except to increase the nutritional value just a bit.

I did run into issues with the bag though. The recipe says to seal the bowl
in a bag. I used a metal bowl which came with my 2 Qt. Revere pan so that
it could be used as a double boiler. Somewhere (don't remember when or
where), I bought a bag of Baggie Jumbo bags. They are the thin kind that
need to be sealed with a twist tie. That worked well for the bowl although
it was a tad tricky to get the bag down from the top to beat down the dough.

The problem came in trying to use the bag to cover the pan. It wasn't
nearly big enough. So I had to make do with two pieces of plastic wrap. I
didn't get a complete seal but that didn't seem to matter. I also oiled the
top of the loaf a bit so that the plastic wouldn't stick.

I was amazed at how quickly this loaf rose! I was using quick rise yeast
but with the former recipe, I had to wait the entire length of time on the
rising to attain any height. And it made a rather dense loaf. It was good
but it really didn't give enough rise for it to be used for sandwiches.
Unless you want a very small sandwich. And it had a rather thick crust to
it.

This one also does not use bread flour. So... Yay! Alas, I just bought
another bag of bread flour but I have been buying small bags. I think what
I will do to use up the bread flour is to make a loaf when I am serving
soup, or maybe I will just make several loaves and use those for stuffing.

Oh and I used the new mixer for this loaf. This is the first time that I
have used dough hooks. Very effective! I know I am not strong enough to
try to mix this dough by hand and I don't think I even have any hand held
cooking tools that could handle it either!

So... Happy, happy!

Bread Recipe Janet B General Cooking 16 20-10-2016 01:14 PM
Help with a bread recipe Perpetual Student Recipes 1 20-05-2007 11:04 PM
bread recipe Golden General Cooking 6 30-12-2006 02:13 AM
need quick bread recipe - apple cinnamon bread Jude General Cooking 0 11-12-2005 04:09 PM
bread recipe to bread maker Chris Baking 3 11-09-2005 06:03 PM