Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Bread Recipe

I ran across this recipe today on the Gold Medal All-Purpose Flour
bag. It pleased me to note that the recipe uses cups and well as
pounds. The recipe sounds straight forward and should cover all the
questions a baker may have.

No-Knead Artisan Free-Form Loaf
10/17/2016
3 cups lukewarm water, about 100F (1 ½ pounds)
6 ½ cups Gold Medal Unbleached all purpose flour (2 pounds), measured
by the "scoop-and-sweep" method
1 package regular or quick active dry yeast (2 ¼ teaspoons) 1 ½
tablespoons kosher or other coarse salt (can decrease to 1 tablespoon
to taste)
Cornmeal or parchment paper for the pizza peel
1. Mixing and storing the dough: In a 5-quart container or
bowl, mix yeast, water and salt. Add all the flour, then use a wood
spoon, stand mixer, or high-capacity food processor to mix until
uniformly moist. This will produce a loose dough.
2. Cover with a lid (not airtight). Allow to rise at room
temperature for about 2 hours.
3. The dough can be shaped and baked the day it's mixed, or
refrigerated in a lidded container (not airtight) or loosely covered
bowl for up to 14 days. The dough will be easier to work with after
at least 3 hours refrigeration.
4. On baking day, prepare a pizza peel with cornmeal or parchment
paper to prevent sticking when you slid the loaf into the oven.
Sprinkle the surface of the dough with flour. Cut off a 1-pound
(grapefruit-size) piece of dough. Cover the remaining dough and
refrigerate for baking loaves within 14 days.
5. Sprinkling with more flour to prevent sticking, shape a smooth
ball with your hands by gently stretching the surface of the dough
around to the bottom on all four sides, rotating a quarter-turn as you
go. The bottom of the loaf may appear to be a collection of bunched
ends, but it will flatten out during resting and baking. Shaping
should take no more than 20 to 40 seconds.
6. Place the dough on the prepared pizza peel and allow to rest
for about 60 minutes. It does not need to be covered. The bread may
not rise much during this time.
7. 30 minutes before baking, preheat a pizza stone near the
center of the oven to 450F, with a metal broiler pan on a rack below
the stone.
8. When the dough has rested for 60 minutes, dust the top
liberally with flour, then use a serrated knife to slash a 1/4
-inch-deep cross.
9. Slide the loaf off the peel and onto the baking stone. Cover
oven windows with a towel, pour 1 cup of hot water into the broiler
tray, and close the oven door.
10. Bake for about 30 minutes, or until the crust is richly brown
and firm to the touch. Allow the bread to cool completely.
11. Makes enough dough for four loaves, slightly less than 1 pound
each.
12. High Altitude (3500 to 6500 feet): no change.

Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, October 17, 2016 at 5:45:35 PM UTC-5, Janet B wrote:
> I ran across this recipe today on the Gold Medal All-Purpose Flour
> bag. It pleased me to note that the recipe uses cups and well as
> pounds. The recipe sounds straight forward and should cover all the
> questions a baker may have.
>
> Janet US

I'll give you my address and you can send me a loaf and I'll
give you my honest opinion after taste testing.

;-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Why cover the oven window with a towel? Is the bread embarrassed by being
naked?

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 17 Oct 2016 16:45:28 -0600, Janet B >
wrote:

> The dough can be shaped and baked the day it's mixed, or
> refrigerated in a lidded container (not airtight) or loosely covered
> bowl for up to 14 days.

During my own breadmaking days (several decades ago) it was my
experience that yeast doughs kept for more than five days or so
developed a (not entirely unpleasant) "winy" taste and odor.

--
Bob
The joint that time is out of
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 17 Oct 2016 19:57:03 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2
> wrote:

>Why cover the oven window with a towel? Is the bread embarrassed by being
>naked?
>
>N.

That was the one weak spot in covering all information. The towel is
to protect the glass from breaking from shock should the glass be hit
by the water. They also forgot to remove the towel before closing the
oven door. I figured that there would be questions about that from
someone who didn't bake bread by this method and couldn't visualize
the problem. Sorry. I should have explained that when posting.
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 18 Oct 2016 07:24:14 +0300, Opinicus
> wrote:

>On Mon, 17 Oct 2016 16:45:28 -0600, Janet B >
>wrote:
>
>> The dough can be shaped and baked the day it's mixed, or
>> refrigerated in a lidded container (not airtight) or loosely covered
>> bowl for up to 14 days.

>During my own breadmaking days (several decades ago) it was my
>experience that yeast doughs kept for more than five days or so
>developed a (not entirely unpleasant) "winy" taste and odor.

The refrigeration encourages the development of organisms other than
just the yeast that add to the flavor profile of the finished bread.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

l.which.is.quite.invalid...

wrote:

> The dough can be shaped and baked the day it's mixed, or
> refrigerated in a lidded container (not airtight) or loosely covered
> bowl for up to 14 days.

During my own breadmaking days (several decades ago) it was my
experience that yeast doughs kept for more than five days or so
developed a (not entirely unpleasant) "winy" taste and odor.

Bob

===============

I've been making a very similar 'no knead' bread for several months now, it
has become a favourite here. I have left the dough in the fridge for up to
a week without problems. Whenever I bake a loaf I make up the dough at the
same time. I have dough in the fridge atm and we are away for a couple/few
weeks. I will know when I get back It reminds me of when I used to make
sourdough

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I thought all oven glass nowadays was tempered....I can't imagine it breaking
if hit by water. The recipe must be old. I certainly can imagine/envision making
the bread, but the towel thing seems ludicrous to me. Am I alone in this?

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 18 Oct 2016 07:24:14 +0300, Opinicus
> wrote:

>On Mon, 17 Oct 2016 16:45:28 -0600, Janet B >
>wrote:
>
>> The dough can be shaped and baked the day it's mixed, or
>> refrigerated in a lidded container (not airtight) or loosely covered
>> bowl for up to 14 days.

>During my own breadmaking days (several decades ago) it was my
>experience that yeast doughs kept for more than five days or so
>developed a (not entirely unpleasant) "winy" taste and odor.

"Winy" precisely, yeast causes the dough to ferment and produces
alcohol.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 wrote:

> I thought all oven glass nowadays was tempered....I can't imagine it breaking
> if hit by water. The recipe must be old. I certainly can imagine/envision making
> the bread, but the towel thing seems ludicrous to me. Am I alone in this?
>
> N.

IMO, all hot glass is susceptible to breaking with cooler water poured
on. A severe temp change will break many things. If you've ever used a
kiln for ceramics, leave door closed until the kiln cools off
completely.

All that recipe had to do was put the water in the pan *before* heating
up the oven. No problem then.

No worries with my oven - no glass front.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2016-10-18, Janet B > wrote:

> On Tue, 18 Oct 2016 07:24:14 +0300, Opinicus

>>During my own breadmaking days (several decades ago) it was my
>>experience that yeast doughs kept for more than five days or so
>>developed a (not entirely unpleasant) "winy" taste and odor.

> The refrigeration encourages the development of organisms other than
> just the yeast that add to the flavor profile of the finished bread.

Isn't that what sourdough is?

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 18 Oct 2016 05:29:30 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2
> wrote:

>I thought all oven glass nowadays was tempered....I can't imagine it breaking
>if hit by water. The recipe must be old. I certainly can imagine/envision making
>the bread, but the towel thing seems ludicrous to me. Am I alone in this?
>
>N.

Probably just making company lawyers happy. I have never spilled the
steaming water on the oven glass.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 18 Oct 2016 12:05:24 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>Nancy2 wrote:
>>
>> I thought all oven glass nowadays was tempered....I can't imagine it breaking
>> if hit by water. The recipe must be old. I certainly can imagine/envision making
>> the bread, but the towel thing seems ludicrous to me. Am I alone in this?
>>
>> N.

>IMO, all hot glass is susceptible to breaking with cooler water poured
>on. A severe temp change will break many things. If you've ever used a
>kiln for ceramics, leave door closed until the kiln cools off
>completely.
>
>All that recipe had to do was put the water in the pan *before* heating
>up the oven. No problem then.
>
>No worries with my oven - no glass front.

I have always used a cast iron pan that I bought especially for this
purpose. I put the pan in the oven and then pre-heat the oven. I put
the tea kettle on the stove and boil water. I put the bread dough in
the oven and pour the boiling water into the pan and close the oven
door. I get a flash of 'steam' that boils off the water within a time
frame of about 8 or so minutes -- that is the optimum time for
allowing the bread skin to expand without interfering with good
browning.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 18 Oct 2016 16:05:50 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>On 2016-10-18, Janet B > wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 18 Oct 2016 07:24:14 +0300, Opinicus

>>>During my own breadmaking days (several decades ago) it was my
>>>experience that yeast doughs kept for more than five days or so
>>>developed a (not entirely unpleasant) "winy" taste and odor.

>> The refrigeration encourages the development of organisms other than
>> just the yeast that add to the flavor profile of the finished bread.

>Isn't that what sourdough is?
>
>nb

Bob

Sourdough captures wild yeast, encourages their growth and uses the
wild yeast to raise bread. Sourdough requires nurturing. You have to
keep it fed to remain active. Or refrigerate the starter and
re-activate it when you want to make bread.
This recipe is basically the method and recipe devised by Jeff
Hertzberg and put forth in his book in 2007. Quite a few well known
bakers tinkered with different approaches to refrigerated dough. This
recipe is about as low tech, labor intensive and convenient as it
gets.
The method requires only mixing. No kneading is required and is
actually detrimental to getting a good final oven spring. Wheat flour
in a mixed dough will develop gluten on its own. As to flavor, the
dough will develop some of the overtones of sourdough over time in the
refrigerator. To my taste, this approach gives a bread with a nutty
background flavor more than a sour flavor.
The steam is necessary. Please don't try the old saw of throwing ice
cubes into a tray in the oven. That doesn't even make sense. It
isn't necessary to open the oven and spritz the dough as it bakes.
This approach is just dead simple.
HTH
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/18/2016 8:29 AM, Nancy2 wrote:
> I thought all oven glass nowadays was tempered....I can't imagine it breaking
> if hit by water. The recipe must be old. I certainly can imagine/envision making
> the bread, but the towel thing seems ludicrous to me. Am I alone in this?
>
> N.

Tempered glass is stronger but can still break from thermal shock.
Depends on temperature differential and thermal mass. Tempered is
usually good to about 260F difference.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed, my previous oven glass cracked all over because the door wasn't plumb, is what I was told.
It shattered, but didn't fall out of the door, so it wasn't like it burst or exploded. It was
replaced, free.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.usenet.kooks

Default JANET BOVINE HAS A "Bread Recipe"

On 10/17/2016 3:45 PM, Janet B wrote:

> I ran across this recipe today on the Gold Medal All-Purpose Flour
> bag. It pleased me to note that the recipe uses cups and well as
> pounds. The recipe sounds straight forward and should cover all the
> questions a baker may have.
>
> No-Knead Artisan Free-Form Loaf
> 10/17/2016
> 3 cups lukewarm water, about 100F (1 ½ pounds)
> 6 ½ cups Gold Medal Unbleached all purpose flour (2 pounds), measured
> by the "scoop-and-sweep" method
> 1 package regular or quick active dry yeast (2 ¼ teaspoons) 1 ½
> tablespoons kosher or other coarse salt (can decrease to 1 tablespoon
> to taste)
> Cornmeal or parchment paper for the pizza peel
> 1. Mixing and storing the dough: In a 5-quart container or
> bowl, mix yeast, water and salt. Add all the flour, then use a wood
> spoon, stand mixer, or high-capacity food processor to mix until
> uniformly moist. This will produce a loose dough.
> 2. Cover with a lid (not airtight). Allow to rise at room
> temperature for about 2 hours.
> 3. The dough can be shaped and baked the day it's mixed, or
> refrigerated in a lidded container (not airtight) or loosely covered
> bowl for up to 14 days. The dough will be easier to work with after
> at least 3 hours refrigeration.
> 4. On baking day, prepare a pizza peel with cornmeal or parchment
> paper to prevent sticking when you slid the loaf into the oven.
> Sprinkle the surface of the dough with flour. Cut off a 1-pound
> (grapefruit-size) piece of dough. Cover the remaining dough and
> refrigerate for baking loaves within 14 days.
> 5. Sprinkling with more flour to prevent sticking, shape a smooth
> ball with your hands by gently stretching the surface of the dough
> around to the bottom on all four sides, rotating a quarter-turn as you
> go. The bottom of the loaf may appear to be a collection of bunched
> ends, but it will flatten out during resting and baking. Shaping
> should take no more than 20 to 40 seconds.
> 6. Place the dough on the prepared pizza peel and allow to rest
> for about 60 minutes. It does not need to be covered. The bread may
> not rise much during this time.
> 7. 30 minutes before baking, preheat a pizza stone near the
> center of the oven to 450F, with a metal broiler pan on a rack below
> the stone.
> 8. When the dough has rested for 60 minutes, dust the top
> liberally with flour, then use a serrated knife to slash a 1/4
> -inch-deep cross.
> 9. Slide the loaf off the peel and onto the baking stone. Cover
> oven windows with a towel, pour 1 cup of hot water into the broiler
> tray, and close the oven door.
> 10. Bake for about 30 minutes, or until the crust is richly brown
> and firm to the touch. Allow the bread to cool completely.
> 11. Makes enough dough for four loaves, slightly less than 1 pound
> each.
> 12. High Altitude (3500 to 6500 feet): no change.

Er, well there..... Any hint at wot's causin' yer massive weight gain,
darlin'?

Much better bread recipe! Julie Bove[_2_] General Cooking 0 13-10-2014 06:16 AM
Help with a bread recipe Perpetual Student Recipes 1 20-05-2007 11:04 PM
bread recipe Golden General Cooking 6 30-12-2006 02:13 AM
need quick bread recipe - apple cinnamon bread Jude General Cooking 0 11-12-2005 04:09 PM
bread recipe to bread maker Chris Baking 3 11-09-2005 06:03 PM