Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Desperation Dinner from the Freezer

I wasn't inspired for dinner tonight and don't have too much on hand.
So, dinner was hamburger patties, rice, gravy, and buttered peas, using
frozen ground beef, rice, beef jus, and peas. The rice was frozen
leftovers. The beef jus was very flavorful liquid left over from a
potroast. I made patties, browned both sides, then browned some flour
and added the jus. I simmered the patties in the gravy until they were
done. My boys loved it!

Tara
singing Let it Go from the movie Frozen
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Tara wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> I wasn't inspired for dinner tonight and don't have too much on hand.
> So, dinner was hamburger patties, rice, gravy, and buttered peas,
> using frozen ground beef, rice, beef jus, and peas. The rice was
> frozen leftovers. The beef jus was very flavorful liquid left over
> from a potroast. I made patties, browned both sides, then browned
> some flour and added the jus. I simmered the patties in the gravy
> until they were done. My boys loved it!
>
> Tara
> singing Let it Go from the movie Frozen

LOL! I've done similar basics at time though not that one. I don't
bother to freeze leftover rice. I have 2 dogs so filler their dinner
with that the next day.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/24/2014 6:21 PM, Tara wrote:
> I wasn't inspired for dinner tonight and don't have too much on hand.
> So, dinner was hamburger patties, rice, gravy, and buttered peas, using
> frozen ground beef, rice, beef jus, and peas. The rice was frozen
> leftovers. The beef jus was very flavorful liquid left over from a
> potroast. I made patties, browned both sides, then browned some flour
> and added the jus. I simmered the patties in the gravy until they were
> done. My boys loved it!
>
> Tara
> singing Let it Go from the movie Frozen

Sounds perfectly fine to me, Tara. Almost like salisbury steaks.
Thanks for reminding me I need to put a chuch roast in the fridge to
thaw. The weather here has finally cooled off so roast with gravy and
rice sounds good. Vegetable to be decided. This will probably be
dinner on Saturday.

Jill <---not singing
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/24/2014 5:21 PM, Tara wrote:
> I wasn't inspired for dinner tonight and don't have too much on hand.
> So, dinner was hamburger patties, rice, gravy, and buttered peas, using
> frozen ground beef, rice, beef jus, and peas. The rice was frozen
> leftovers. The beef jus was very flavorful liquid left over from a
> potroast. I made patties, browned both sides, then browned some flour
> and added the jus. I simmered the patties in the gravy until they were
> done. My boys loved it!
>
> Tara
> singing Let it Go from the movie Frozen

Sounds good, Tara. Frozen rice also makes good fried rice, later, I cook
a lot, so I have leftover rice to freeze.

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 26 Sep 2014 09:28:40 -0500, Becca EmaNymton wrote:

> Sounds good, Tara. Frozen rice also makes good fried rice, later, I cook
> a lot, so I have leftover rice to freeze.

Our Chinese delivery place always throws a big container of steamed white
rice to any order. Most of our meals come with fried rice, so the
steamed rice usually goes in the freezer. It comes in handy.

Tara

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, September 24, 2014 6:21:22 PM UTC-4, Tara wrote:
> I wasn't inspired for dinner tonight and don't have too much on hand.
>
> So, dinner was hamburger patties, rice, gravy, and buttered peas, using
>
> frozen ground beef, rice, beef jus, and peas. The rice was frozen
>
> leftovers. The beef jus was very flavorful liquid left over from a
>
> potroast. I made patties, browned both sides, then browned some flour
>
> and added the jus. I simmered the patties in the gravy until they were
>
> done. My boys loved it!
>

> Tara

Well, you did better than I did. I had to use my old faithful -- frozen ravioli and the end of my last batch of meatballs and sauce. At least I threw a decent garden salad together.

When did you make the potroast? Still too hot for me to even THINK along those lines.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 26 Sep 2014 18:30:20 -0700, Kalmia wrote:

> Well, you did better than I did. I had to use my old faithful -- frozen
> ravioli and the end of my last batch of meatballs and sauce. At least I
> threw a decent garden salad together.

Sounds good to me!

> When did you make the potroast? Still too hot for me to even THINK
> along those lines.

Long ago. I'm ready to start cooking and eating some fall food. A
parent at school cooks barbecue on the side. I'm getting some BBQ and
Brunswick stew from the family on Monday. I'm hoping for some cooler
weather so we can really appreciate the Brunswick stew.

Tara
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Becca EmaNymton" > wrote in message
> On 9/26/2014 8:26 PM, Tara wrote:
>> On Fri, 26 Sep 2014 09:28:40 -0500, Becca EmaNymton wrote:
>>

>>> Sounds good, Tara. Frozen rice also makes good fried rice, later, I cook
>>> a lot, so I have leftover rice to freeze.

>> Our Chinese delivery place always throws a big container of steamed white
>> rice to any order. Most of our meals come with fried rice, so the
>> steamed rice usually goes in the freezer. It comes in handy.
>>
>> Tara

> That is when I started freezing white rice, people would eat Chinese food
> but nobody would touch the containers of rice. I love fresh cooked rice,
> it tastes heavenly to me, but not everybody thinks so.

I have learned not to make or buy fried rice. Nobody here likes it. They
don't like brown rice either although husband is more likely to eat that in
Spanish rice than he will white. If I make or buy white, I will only give
him about 1/2 a cup because he may or may not eat it.

But usually I do not have leftover white rice. A few times I did when
Angela was sick and needing to eat little more than rice. I would make far
too much, she would get better and not want any again. I might then try to
use it for something I would eat, like soup, but a few times I did toss a
little out. However, I usually only make cheap rice when someone is sick.
Their taste buds are off and they don't really care if it is Texmati or the
stuff from the 99 cent bag.