Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Dinner Tonight - OH NO! Leftovers from the Freezer!

Heh. Grilled the chicken thighs yesterday along with some grilled yellow
squash. Packaged up the leftover chicken and put it in the freezer in small
serving sizes.

A couple of months ago I'd prepared a chuck roast in the crock pot with
onion, garlic, various herbs and some beef stock. When the roast was done I
thickened the liquid to make a nice gravy. Leftover sliced beef with the
gravy went into the freezer. Yep, that's dinner tonight With rice and
steamed broccoli.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> Heh. Grilled the chicken thighs yesterday along with some grilled yellow
> squash. Packaged up the leftover chicken and put it in the freezer in small
> serving sizes.
>
> A couple of months ago I'd prepared a chuck roast in the crock pot with
> onion, garlic, various herbs and some beef stock. When the roast was done I
> thickened the liquid to make a nice gravy. Leftover sliced beef with the
> gravy went into the freezer. Yep, that's dinner tonight With rice and
> steamed broccoli.
>
> Jill

if you dont say it is leftovers, they will never know. it is only when
you try to get them to eat the same thing in the next day or two after
you made it, that it is *leftovers*.

chuck roast sounds good! :-) myraide

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> A couple of months ago I'd prepared a chuck roast in the crock pot with
> onion, garlic, various herbs and some beef stock. When the roast was done I
> thickened the liquid to make a nice gravy. Leftover sliced beef with the
> gravy went into the freezer. Yep, that's dinner tonight With rice and
> steamed broccoli.
>
> Jill

I'm there with ya. I made a crock pot chuck roast on Sunday (I don't
usually use the crock pot for that, but it turned out OK) and I froze
some of it tonight after having one night of "fresh" leftovers. I know
there will be a night in the not-too-distant-future when I will be
thanking myself for being able to pull out a great meal from my freezer
and have to do very little to serve it quickly. We all have those
nights. I'm fortunate to have lots of freezer space for this sort of
thing.

Sandy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Myraide wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>> A couple of months ago I'd prepared a chuck roast in the crock pot
>> with onion, garlic, various herbs and some beef stock. When the
>> roast was done I thickened the liquid to make a nice gravy.
>> Leftover sliced beef with the gravy went into the freezer. Yep,
>> that's dinner tonight With rice and steamed broccoli.
>>
>> Jill

> if you dont say it is leftovers, they will never know. it is only when
> you try to get them to eat the same thing in the next day or two after
> you made it, that it is *leftovers*.
>
> chuck roast sounds good! :-) myraide

Them *who*? I cook only for myself

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> Myraide wrote:
> > jmcquown wrote:
> >> A couple of months ago I'd prepared a chuck roast in the crock pot
> >> with onion, garlic, various herbs and some beef stock. When the
> >> roast was done I thickened the liquid to make a nice gravy.
> >> Leftover sliced beef with the gravy went into the freezer. Yep,
> >> that's dinner tonight With rice and steamed broccoli.
> >>
> >> Jill

> > if you dont say it is leftovers, they will never know. it is only when
> > you try to get them to eat the same thing in the next day or two after
> > you made it, that it is *leftovers*.
> >
> > chuck roast sounds good! :-) myraide

> Them *who*? I cook only for myself

Oh! then there is no fooling yourself as to what it is.

i like pulling something out of the freezer (like a gallon baggie of
frozen buffalo spaghetti sauce) putting it in the cast iron dutch oven
on the stovetop and reheating before the s.o. comes home, and he doesnt
know he is having leftovers. that works for me!

myraide (i love leftovers)

> Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article . com>,
"Myraide" > wrote:

> i like pulling something out of the freezer (like a gallon baggie of
> frozen buffalo spaghetti sauce) putting it in the cast iron dutch oven
> on the stovetop and reheating before the s.o. comes home, and he doesnt
> know he is having leftovers. that works for me!

We like leftovers here. If we liked the first meal, chances are
we'll like it again. I just don't like having it for dinner two nights
in a row. So, I'll pack/eat it for lunch the next day and if we have
any left after that, freeze it, and we pull it out at a later time. Or,
if it is meat, I use it in another way. For instance, we made turkey
pot pie out of leftover turkey this past week, and had hot lambwiches
with the leftover lamb from Easter, as well as a rice dish with the lamb
in it. The rice was so good:

Sauteed some sweet onion and basmati rice over medium high heat,
added a sandwich mix we had made of Spanish and Kalamata olives,
artichoke hearts, capers, feta, basil, roasted peppers, and olive oil,
the last tablespoon of harrisa we had, and cooked lamb with pine nuts
and garlic that had been seasoned for Easter. Stirred it up and added
chicken broth, brought to a boil and covered and simmered as per normal.
It was quite tasty. We served it with the last of the laban bi khiyar.

Regards,
Ranee

Remove do not & spam to e-mail me.

http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ranee Mueller wrote:
> In article . com>,
> "Myraide" > wrote:
>
> > i like pulling something out of the freezer (like a gallon baggie of
> > frozen buffalo spaghetti sauce) putting it in the cast iron dutch oven
> > on the stovetop and reheating before the s.o. comes home, and he doesnt
> > know he is having leftovers. that works for me!

> We like leftovers here. If we liked the first meal, chances are
> we'll like it again. I just don't like having it for dinner two nights
> in a row.

yeah that is the secret. freeze it and a month or two later bring it
out again! that works well with meat and cassaroles. but i have not had
good luck with a minestrone soup i make. it just doesn't freeze well.
and the recipe makes a HUGE pot! it is so good you can eat it for a
couple days no problem but i usually give some to the neighbors if i
don't make it for a big crowd. the secret ingredient is pesto...YuM!!!

> So, I'll pack/eat it for lunch the next day and if we have
> any left after that, freeze it, and we pull it out at a later time. Or,
> if it is meat, I use it in another way. For instance, we made turkey
> pot pie out of leftover turkey this past week, and had hot lambwiches
> with the leftover lamb from Easter, as well as a rice dish with the lamb
> in it. The rice was so good:
>
> Sauteed some sweet onion and basmati rice over medium high heat,
> added a sandwich mix we had made of Spanish and Kalamata olives,
> artichoke hearts, capers, feta, basil, roasted peppers, and olive oil,
> the last tablespoon of harrisa we had, and cooked lamb with pine nuts
> and garlic that had been seasoned for Easter. Stirred it up and added
> chicken broth, brought to a boil and covered and simmered as per normal.
> It was quite tasty.

OMG thats sounds so good!! (i haven't had dinner yet can you tell)
is this a greek dish or did you just make it up? it sounds so yummy!!
myraide

We served it with the last of the laban bi khiyar.

> Regards,
> Ranee
>
> Remove do not & spam to e-mail me.
>
> "She seeks wool and flax, and works with willing hands." Prov 31:13
>
> http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/
> http://talesfromthekitchen.blogspot.com/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article . com>,
"Myraide" > wrote:

> Ranee Mueller wrote:
>
> > Sauteed some sweet onion and basmati rice over medium high heat,
> > added a sandwich mix we had made of Spanish and Kalamata olives,
> > artichoke hearts, capers, feta, basil, roasted peppers, and olive oil,
> > the last tablespoon of harrisa we had, and cooked lamb with pine nuts
> > and garlic that had been seasoned for Easter. Stirred it up and added
> > chicken broth, brought to a boil and covered and simmered as per normal.
> > It was quite tasty.

> OMG thats sounds so good!! (i haven't had dinner yet can you tell)
> is this a greek dish or did you just make it up? it sounds so yummy!!
> myraide

It was a use up the leftovers before they go bad dish, and clean out
the fridge at the same time, and have something to bring to church for
our coffee hour/lunch. I forgot to mention that we just buzzed all the
olives, capers, basil, roasted peppers, artichoke hearts and olive oil
in the food processor and made a spread of it for our sandwiches. We
took them with us to the Spring Fair here, so we'd only buy snacky fair
food, and could share them. That way, we spent about $65 on the fair
rather than over a hundred.