Old 22-09-2014, 12:02 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default How do you peel an acorn squash?

I just looked up how to peel a butternut squash and realized immediately
that this wasn't what I got in my CSA package. It was actually an acorn
squash which from what I have read online can be cooked the same as an
acorn. And that's a good thing as I am using Ina Garten's recipe for
butternut. But it calls for the squash to be peeled and cut in cubes.

I was able to peel the smooth part quite easily, but the part that has goes
in and out with crevices and bumps was a bit of a nightmare. I did look
this up online and there were a variety of answers, some of which were just
not to peel it or just not to buy it to begin with. So... How do you peel
yours?

Old 22-09-2014, 01:18 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 22 Sep 2014 04:02:58 -0700, "Julie Bove"
wrote:

I just looked up how to peel a butternut squash and realized immediately
that this wasn't what I got in my CSA package. It was actually an acorn
squash which from what I have read online can be cooked the same as an
acorn. And that's a good thing as I am using Ina Garten's recipe for
butternut. But it calls for the squash to be peeled and cut in cubes.

I was able to peel the smooth part quite easily, but the part that has goes
in and out with crevices and bumps was a bit of a nightmare. I did look
this up online and there were a variety of answers, some of which were just
not to peel it or just not to buy it to begin with. So... How do you peel
yours?

I've never peeled an acorn squash. I just cut it in half, scoop out
the seeds, and roast it.

What recipe are you using that it has to be cut up before cooking?

Doris
Old 22-09-2014, 01:46 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie, you would not peel it like you peel an apple. You would get the edible squash
out of the rind the same way you do for a melon...cut it into quarters or eighths and
then cut between the rind and the "meat" to release large edible sections, and then
dice them.

Acorn squash is really good just cut in half, seeds scooped out, then
placed cut side down on a greased sheet and baked. Serve with lots of butter, salt
and pepper. I roast it at about 400 deg. for 40 minutes or until done.

N.
Old 22-09-2014, 01:53 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

news
wrote:

[...]

See above. It's all there.

Old 22-09-2014, 01:55 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy2" wrote in message

Julie, you would not peel it like you peel an apple. You would get the
edible squash
out of the rind the same way you do for a melon...cut it into quarters or
eighths and
then cut between the rind and the "meat" to release large edible sections,
and then
dice them.

Acorn squash is really good just cut in half, seeds scooped out, then
placed cut side down on a greased sheet and baked. Serve with lots of
butter, salt
and pepper. I roast it at about 400 deg. for 40 minutes or until done.

N.

Thanks! Hopefully next time I get one will remember that and not peel it.
I think when I roasted them before I just put slices with peel and all. My
mistake was in using a recipe for butternut squash and that is much easier
to peel.

Old 22-09-2014, 02:27 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

I just looked up how to peel a butternut squash and realized immediately
that this wasn't what I got in my CSA package. It was actually an acorn
squash which from what I have read online can be cooked the same as an
acorn. And that's a good thing as I am using Ina Garten's recipe for
butternut. But it calls for the squash to be peeled and cut in cubes.

I was able to peel the smooth part quite easily, but the part that has goes
in and out with crevices and bumps was a bit of a nightmare. I did look
this up online and there were a variety of answers, some of which were just
not to peel it or just not to buy it to begin with. So... How do you peel
yours?

I've grown most winter squash.
I never peel acorn or butternut squash, I cut in half, scoop out the
seeds, fill the cavity with butter, honey, saw-seege, whatever, and
bake until the skin crisps, scoop out the flesh and enjoy eating the
skin. If you want winter squash in cubes buy a larger variety of
winter squash, like hubbard or banana... they can grow huge, most
markets sell chunks by the pound.
http://localfoods.about.com/od/winte...r-Squash_7.htm
http://urbanext.illinois.edu/veggies/wsquash.cfm
http://www.foodsubs.com/Squash.html
Didja know that when you buy canned pumpkin it's actually butternut
squash.
Old 22-09-2014, 02:42 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-09-22 8:55 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

Thanks! Hopefully next time I get one will remember that and not peel
it. I think when I roasted them before I just put slices with peel and
all. My mistake was in using a recipe for butternut squash and that is
much easier to peel.

It is funny that you know that butternut squash is easier to peel but
you didn't know enough to but a butternut squash instead of an acorn.
They do look a lot different and, FWIW, butternut squash is nut
particularly easy to peel.

I trust you will excuse me if I don't bother explaining how to peel a
squash. I thought it would save you the trouble of replying with why
that won't work in Julie Land.
Old 22-09-2014, 04:53 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

I just looked up how to peel a butternut squash and realized immediately
that this wasn't what I got in my CSA package. It was actually an acorn
squash which from what I have read online can be cooked the same as an
acorn. And that's a good thing as I am using Ina Garten's recipe for
butternut. But it calls for the squash to be peeled and cut in cubes.

I was able to peel the smooth part quite easily, but the part that has goes
in and out with crevices and bumps was a bit of a nightmare. I did look
this up online and there were a variety of answers, some of which were just
not to peel it or just not to buy it to begin with. So... How do you peel
yours?

You don't. Cut it in half, remove the seeds and bake.

Old 22-09-2014, 04:57 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, September 22, 2014 6:42:50 AM UTC-7, Dave Smith wrote:

It is funny that you know that butternut squash is easier to peel but
you didn't know enough to but a butternut squash instead of an acorn.
They do look a lot different and, FWIW, butternut squash is nut
particularly easy to peel.

In fairness, acorn squash appeared in her CSA box, the contents of which
is not under the subscriber's control.

Friends of mine who get CSA boxes are often perplexed at what to do with
items included in their box, e.g. beets. But one CSA, in Oregon, provides
recipes with their less usual vegetables.
Old 22-09-2014, 05:09 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 22 Sep 2014 09:42:50 -0400, Dave Smith

On 2014-09-22 8:55 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

Thanks! Hopefully next time I get one will remember that and not peel
it. I think when I roasted them before I just put slices with peel and
all. My mistake was in using a recipe for butternut squash and that is
much easier to peel.

It is funny that you know that butternut squash is easier to peel but
you didn't know enough to but a butternut squash instead of an acorn.
They do look a lot different and, FWIW, butternut squash is nut
particularly easy to peel.

Not knowing the difference between a butternut and an acorn seemed odd
to me too. Don't CSA boxes tell you what's included? There shouldn't
have been any guessing involved. I wouldn't have been surprised if
Delicata was the topic because the skin looks like it should be
inedible, but it's actually eaten along with the flesh.

http://whatscookingamerica.net/squash.htm

Old 22-09-2014, 05:12 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

[...]

I do not see Ina Garten's recipe for butternut squash anywhere in your
original post, or anywhere else in this thread.

Doris
Old 22-09-2014, 05:24 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-09-22 12:12 PM, Doris Night wrote:

See above. It's all there.

I do not see Ina Garten's recipe for butternut squash anywhere in your
original post, or anywhere else in this thread.

Maybe it just never happened. Maybe there was no recipe, no squash.

Old 22-09-2014, 05:25 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 22 Sep 2014 12:12:01 -0400, Doris Night
wrote:

I do not see Ina Garten's recipe for butternut squash anywhere in your
original post, or anywhere else in this thread.

It's in the first paragraph of her OP.

I was left scratching my head and wondering why she stayed with that
recipe after she figured out it was an acorn squash. Butternut is
sweet and creamy, acorn is less sweet and stringier. Both are
delicious, but I'd never dream of substituting acorn for butternut in
soup or risotto.

Old 22-09-2014, 05:59 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

I do not see Ina Garten's recipe for butternut squash anywhere in your
original post, or anywhere else in this thread.

It's in the first paragraph of her OP.

Here is Julie's first paragraph of the OP:

"I just looked up how to peel a butternut squash and realized
immediately that this wasn't what I got in my CSA package. It was
actually an acorn squash which from what I have read online can be
cooked the same as an acorn. And that's a good thing as I am using Ina
Garten's recipe for butternut. But it calls for the squash to be peeled
and cut in cubes. "

There ain't no recipe in that paragraph, just a reference to Ina's
recipe for butternut squash. I searched and found more than one recipe
from Ina for butternut squash.

I was left scratching my head and wondering why she stayed with that
recipe after she figured out it was an acorn squash.

Well, she causes a lot of head scratching around here.