FoodBanter.com

-   -   How do you peel an acorn squash? (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/430945-how-do-you-peel.html)

Julie Bove[_2_] 22-09-2014 12:02 PM

How do you peel an acorn squash?

I just looked up how to peel a butternut squash and realized immediately
that this wasn't what I got in my CSA package. It was actually an acorn
squash which from what I have read online can be cooked the same as an
acorn. And that's a good thing as I am using Ina Garten's recipe for
butternut. But it calls for the squash to be peeled and cut in cubes.

I was able to peel the smooth part quite easily, but the part that has goes
in and out with crevices and bumps was a bit of a nightmare. I did look
this up online and there were a variety of answers, some of which were just
not to peel it or just not to buy it to begin with. So... How do you peel
yours?

Doris Night 22-09-2014 01:18 PM

How do you peel an acorn squash?

On Mon, 22 Sep 2014 04:02:58 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>I just looked up how to peel a butternut squash and realized immediately
>that this wasn't what I got in my CSA package. It was actually an acorn
>squash which from what I have read online can be cooked the same as an
>acorn. And that's a good thing as I am using Ina Garten's recipe for
>butternut. But it calls for the squash to be peeled and cut in cubes.
>
>I was able to peel the smooth part quite easily, but the part that has goes
>in and out with crevices and bumps was a bit of a nightmare. I did look
>this up online and there were a variety of answers, some of which were just
>not to peel it or just not to buy it to begin with. So... How do you peel
>yours?

I've never peeled an acorn squash. I just cut it in half, scoop out
the seeds, and roast it.

What recipe are you using that it has to be cut up before cooking?

Doris

Nancy2[_2_] 22-09-2014 01:46 PM

How do you peel an acorn squash?

Julie, you would not peel it like you peel an apple. You would get the edible squash
out of the rind the same way you do for a melon...cut it into quarters or eighths and
then cut between the rind and the "meat" to release large edible sections, and then
dice them.

Acorn squash is really good just cut in half, seeds scooped out, then
placed cut side down on a greased sheet and baked. Serve with lots of butter, salt
and pepper. I roast it at about 400 deg. for 40 minutes or until done.

N.

Julie Bove[_2_] 22-09-2014 01:53 PM

"Doris Night" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 22 Sep 2014 04:02:58 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>>I just looked up how to peel a butternut squash and realized immediately
>>that this wasn't what I got in my CSA package. It was actually an acorn
>>squash which from what I have read online can be cooked the same as an
>>acorn. And that's a good thing as I am using Ina Garten's recipe for
>>butternut. But it calls for the squash to be peeled and cut in cubes.
>>
>>I was able to peel the smooth part quite easily, but the part that has
>>goes
>>in and out with crevices and bumps was a bit of a nightmare. I did look
>>this up online and there were a variety of answers, some of which were
>>just
>>not to peel it or just not to buy it to begin with. So... How do you
>>peel
>>yours?

> I've never peeled an acorn squash. I just cut it in half, scoop out
> the seeds, and roast it.
>
> What recipe are you using that it has to be cut up before cooking?

See above. It's all there.

Julie Bove[_2_] 22-09-2014 01:55 PM

"Nancy2" > wrote in message

> Julie, you would not peel it like you peel an apple. You would get the
> edible squash
> out of the rind the same way you do for a melon...cut it into quarters or
> eighths and
> then cut between the rind and the "meat" to release large edible sections,
> and then
> dice them.
>
> Acorn squash is really good just cut in half, seeds scooped out, then
> placed cut side down on a greased sheet and baked. Serve with lots of
> butter, salt
> and pepper. I roast it at about 400 deg. for 40 minutes or until done.
>
> N.

Thanks! Hopefully next time I get one will remember that and not peel it.
I think when I roasted them before I just put slices with peel and all. My
mistake was in using a recipe for butternut squash and that is much easier
to peel.

brooklyn1 22-09-2014 02:27 PM

How do you peel an acorn squash?

On Mon, 22 Sep 2014 04:02:58 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>I just looked up how to peel a butternut squash and realized immediately
>that this wasn't what I got in my CSA package. It was actually an acorn
>squash which from what I have read online can be cooked the same as an
>acorn. And that's a good thing as I am using Ina Garten's recipe for
>butternut. But it calls for the squash to be peeled and cut in cubes.
>
>I was able to peel the smooth part quite easily, but the part that has goes
>in and out with crevices and bumps was a bit of a nightmare. I did look
>this up online and there were a variety of answers, some of which were just
>not to peel it or just not to buy it to begin with. So... How do you peel
>yours?

I've grown most winter squash.
I never peel acorn or butternut squash, I cut in half, scoop out the
seeds, fill the cavity with butter, honey, saw-seege, whatever, and
bake until the skin crisps, scoop out the flesh and enjoy eating the
skin. If you want winter squash in cubes buy a larger variety of
winter squash, like hubbard or banana... they can grow huge, most
markets sell chunks by the pound.
http://localfoods.about.com/od/winte...r-Squash_7.htm
http://urbanext.illinois.edu/veggies/wsquash.cfm
http://www.foodsubs.com/Squash.html
Didja know that when you buy canned pumpkin it's actually butternut
squash.

Dave Smith[_1_] 22-09-2014 02:42 PM

On 2014-09-22 8:55 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

> Thanks! Hopefully next time I get one will remember that and not peel
> it. I think when I roasted them before I just put slices with peel and
> all. My mistake was in using a recipe for butternut squash and that is
> much easier to peel.

It is funny that you know that butternut squash is easier to peel but
you didn't know enough to but a butternut squash instead of an acorn.
They do look a lot different and, FWIW, butternut squash is nut
particularly easy to peel.

I trust you will excuse me if I don't bother explaining how to peel a
squash. I thought it would save you the trouble of replying with why
that won't work in Julie Land.

sf[_9_] 22-09-2014 04:53 PM

How do you peel an acorn squash?

On Mon, 22 Sep 2014 04:02:58 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> I just looked up how to peel a butternut squash and realized immediately
> that this wasn't what I got in my CSA package. It was actually an acorn
> squash which from what I have read online can be cooked the same as an
> acorn. And that's a good thing as I am using Ina Garten's recipe for
> butternut. But it calls for the squash to be peeled and cut in cubes.
>
> I was able to peel the smooth part quite easily, but the part that has goes
> in and out with crevices and bumps was a bit of a nightmare. I did look
> this up online and there were a variety of answers, some of which were just
> not to peel it or just not to buy it to begin with. So... How do you peel
> yours?

You don't. Cut it in half, remove the seeds and bake.

[email protected] 22-09-2014 04:57 PM

On Monday, September 22, 2014 6:42:50 AM UTC-7, Dave Smith wrote:

> It is funny that you know that butternut squash is easier to peel but
> you didn't know enough to but a butternut squash instead of an acorn.
> They do look a lot different and, FWIW, butternut squash is nut
> particularly easy to peel.

In fairness, acorn squash appeared in her CSA box, the contents of which
is not under the subscriber's control.

Friends of mine who get CSA boxes are often perplexed at what to do with
items included in their box, e.g. beets. But one CSA, in Oregon, provides
recipes with their less usual vegetables.

sf[_9_] 22-09-2014 05:09 PM

How do you peel an acorn squash?

On Mon, 22 Sep 2014 09:42:50 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> On 2014-09-22 8:55 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>

> > Thanks! Hopefully next time I get one will remember that and not peel
> > it. I think when I roasted them before I just put slices with peel and
> > all. My mistake was in using a recipe for butternut squash and that is
> > much easier to peel.

> It is funny that you know that butternut squash is easier to peel but
> you didn't know enough to but a butternut squash instead of an acorn.
> They do look a lot different and, FWIW, butternut squash is nut
> particularly easy to peel.

Not knowing the difference between a butternut and an acorn seemed odd
to me too. Don't CSA boxes tell you what's included? There shouldn't
have been any guessing involved. I wouldn't have been surprised if
Delicata was the topic because the skin looks like it should be
inedible, but it's actually eaten along with the flesh.

http://whatscookingamerica.net/squash.htm

Doris Night 22-09-2014 05:12 PM

How do you peel an acorn squash?

On Mon, 22 Sep 2014 05:53:06 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Doris Night" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Mon, 22 Sep 2014 04:02:58 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>I just looked up how to peel a butternut squash and realized immediately
>>>that this wasn't what I got in my CSA package. It was actually an acorn
>>>squash which from what I have read online can be cooked the same as an
>>>acorn. And that's a good thing as I am using Ina Garten's recipe for
>>>butternut. But it calls for the squash to be peeled and cut in cubes.
>>>
>>>I was able to peel the smooth part quite easily, but the part that has
>>>goes
>>>in and out with crevices and bumps was a bit of a nightmare. I did look
>>>this up online and there were a variety of answers, some of which were
>>>just
>>>not to peel it or just not to buy it to begin with. So... How do you
>>>peel
>>>yours?

>> I've never peeled an acorn squash. I just cut it in half, scoop out
>> the seeds, and roast it.
>>
>> What recipe are you using that it has to be cut up before cooking?

>See above. It's all there.

I do not see Ina Garten's recipe for butternut squash anywhere in your
original post, or anywhere else in this thread.

Doris

Dave Smith[_1_] 22-09-2014 05:23 PM

On 2014-09-22 11:57 AM, wrote:
> On Monday, September 22, 2014 6:42:50 AM UTC-7, Dave Smith wrote:
>

>> It is funny that you know that butternut squash is easier to peel but
>> you didn't know enough to but a butternut squash instead of an acorn.
>> They do look a lot different and, FWIW, butternut squash is nut
>> particularly easy to peel.
>>

> In fairness, acorn squash appeared in her CSA box, the contents of which
> is not under the subscriber's control.

Yes, she did get it in a CSA box, but she did say that she looked up how
to peel a butternut squash, and that was when she learned it was a
acorn. Then she commented about butternut being easier to peel. That
left me wondering how she would know it was easier to peel a butternut
squash because he has never peeled on. It is not easy.

> Friends of mine who get CSA boxes are often perplexed at what to do with
> items included in their box, e.g. beets.

My wife would know what to do with beets.... straight into the compost
bin. I don't mind beets at all, but they are one of the few things that
she absolutely hates. I would roast the beets or use them tomake Borscht.

Dave Smith[_1_] 22-09-2014 05:24 PM

On 2014-09-22 12:12 PM, Doris Night wrote:

>> See above. It's all there.

> I do not see Ina Garten's recipe for butternut squash anywhere in your
> original post, or anywhere else in this thread.

Maybe it just never happened. Maybe there was no recipe, no squash.

sf[_9_] 22-09-2014 05:25 PM

How do you peel an acorn squash?

On Mon, 22 Sep 2014 12:12:01 -0400, Doris Night
> wrote:

> I do not see Ina Garten's recipe for butternut squash anywhere in your
> original post, or anywhere else in this thread.

It's in the first paragraph of her OP.

I was left scratching my head and wondering why she stayed with that
recipe after she figured out it was an acorn squash. Butternut is
sweet and creamy, acorn is less sweet and stringier. Both are
delicious, but I'd never dream of substituting acorn for butternut in
soup or risotto.

Dave Smith[_1_] 22-09-2014 05:59 PM

On 2014-09-22 12:25 PM, sf wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Sep 2014 12:12:01 -0400, Doris Night
> > wrote:
>
>> I do not see Ina Garten's recipe for butternut squash anywhere in your
>> original post, or anywhere else in this thread.

> It's in the first paragraph of her OP.

Here is Julie's first paragraph of the OP:

"I just looked up how to peel a butternut squash and realized
immediately that this wasn't what I got in my CSA package. It was
actually an acorn squash which from what I have read online can be
cooked the same as an acorn. And that's a good thing as I am using Ina
Garten's recipe for butternut. But it calls for the squash to be peeled
and cut in cubes. "

There ain't no recipe in that paragraph, just a reference to Ina's
recipe for butternut squash. I searched and found more than one recipe
from Ina for butternut squash.

> I was left scratching my head and wondering why she stayed with that
> recipe after she figured out it was an acorn squash.

Well, she causes a lot of head scratching around here.

sf[_9_] 22-09-2014 06:04 PM

How do you peel an acorn squash?

On Mon, 22 Sep 2014 12:59:15 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> On 2014-09-22 12:25 PM, sf wrote:
> > On Mon, 22 Sep 2014 12:12:01 -0400, Doris Night
> > > wrote:
> >
> >> I do not see Ina Garten's recipe for butternut squash anywhere in your
> >> original post, or anywhere else in this thread.

> > It's in the first paragraph of her OP.

> Here is Julie's first paragraph of the OP:
>
> "I just looked up how to peel a butternut squash and realized
> immediately that this wasn't what I got in my CSA package. It was
> actually an acorn squash which from what I have read online can be
> cooked the same as an acorn. And that's a good thing as I am using Ina
> Garten's recipe for butternut. But it calls for the squash to be peeled
> and cut in cubes. "
>
> There ain't no recipe in that paragraph, just a reference to Ina's
> recipe for butternut squash.

Yes.

brooklyn1 22-09-2014 09:24 PM

How do you peel an acorn squash?

On Mon, 22 Sep 2014 08:57:15 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

>On Monday, September 22, 2014 6:42:50 AM UTC-7, Dave Smith wrote:
>

>> It is funny that you know that butternut squash is easier to peel but
>> you didn't know enough to but a butternut squash instead of an acorn.
>> They do look a lot different and, FWIW, butternut squash is nut
>> particularly easy to peel.
>>

>In fairness, acorn squash appeared in her CSA box, the contents of which
>is not under the subscriber's control.
>
>Friends of mine who get CSA boxes are often perplexed at what to do with
>items included in their box, e.g. beets. But one CSA, in Oregon, provides
>recipes with their less usual vegetables.

WTF is unusual about beets? I can understand something like cardoon,
but damn, even Beechnut and Gerbers knows beets.

Becca EmaNymton 22-09-2014 10:09 PM

On 9/22/2014 7:18 AM, Doris Night wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Sep 2014 04:02:58 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>> I just looked up how to peel a butternut squash and realized immediately
>> that this wasn't what I got in my CSA package. It was actually an acorn
>> squash which from what I have read online can be cooked the same as an
>> acorn. And that's a good thing as I am using Ina Garten's recipe for
>> butternut. But it calls for the squash to be peeled and cut in cubes.
>>
>> I was able to peel the smooth part quite easily, but the part that has goes
>> in and out with crevices and bumps was a bit of a nightmare. I did look
>> this up online and there were a variety of answers, some of which were just
>> not to peel it or just not to buy it to begin with. So... How do you peel
>> yours?

> I've never peeled an acorn squash. I just cut it in half, scoop out
> the seeds, and roast it.
>
> What recipe are you using that it has to be cut up before cooking?
>
> Doris

An acorn squash would be difficult to peel, because of its shape.
Butternut squash is often peeled and cubed, though.

It is difficult for me to halve either one, even with the sharpest
knife, I do not have a lot of upper body strength. I will put them in
the microwave for 1-2 minutes, then they are easy to cut.

Becca

Gary 22-09-2014 10:12 PM

Julie Bove wrote:

> I just looked up how to peel a butternut squash and realized immediately
> that this wasn't what I got in my CSA package.

WTH is a CSA package? Are you wasting your money on pre-packaged meals
like that other woman here? WTH is wrong with you people? Can you both
not look at recipes and decide what to cook, then go buy the
ingredients?

G.

Janet Bostwick 22-09-2014 10:38 PM

How do you peel an acorn squash?

On Mon, 22 Sep 2014 16:09:05 -0500, Becca EmaNymton
> wrote:
snip

>It is difficult for me to halve either one, even with the sharpest
>knife, I do not have a lot of upper body strength. I will put them in
>the microwave for 1-2 minutes, then they are easy to cut.
>
>Becca

I use a cheap rubber mallet/hammer I got at the auto store. Place the
knife where you want it on the squash and give the knife a few whacks
with the rubber mallet. When I had no hand strength I also used the
mallet to smash garlic cloves, It's a useful kitchen tool for about
$5+ bucks.
Janet US

sf[_9_] 23-09-2014 12:25 AM

How do you peel an acorn squash?

On Mon, 22 Sep 2014 15:38:53 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:

> On Mon, 22 Sep 2014 16:09:05 -0500, Becca EmaNymton
> > wrote:
> snip
> >
> >It is difficult for me to halve either one, even with the sharpest
> >knife, I do not have a lot of upper body strength. I will put them in
> >the microwave for 1-2 minutes, then they are easy to cut.
> >
> >Becca
> >

> I use a cheap rubber mallet/hammer I got at the auto store. Place the
> knife where you want it on the squash and give the knife a few whacks
> with the rubber mallet. When I had no hand strength I also used the
> mallet to smash garlic cloves, It's a useful kitchen tool for about
> $5+ bucks.

Thank you Julia Child... I used one for years, then someone took it to
use as a (not-kitchen) tool and that was the end of that.

sf[_9_] 23-09-2014 12:30 AM

On Mon, 22 Sep 2014 17:12:39 -0400, Gary > wrote:

> Julie Bove wrote:
> >
> > I just looked up how to peel a butternut squash and realized immediately
> > that this wasn't what I got in my CSA package.

> WTH is a CSA package?

It's a box of raw produce that people pay way too much money for.
Look at the "small" and what you get for $26. You'd still have to buy
more. http://www.farmfreshtoyou.com/

Cheri[_3_] 23-09-2014 12:38 AM

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 22 Sep 2014 17:12:39 -0400, Gary > wrote:
>
>> Julie Bove wrote:
>> >
>> > I just looked up how to peel a butternut squash and realized
>> > immediately
>> > that this wasn't what I got in my CSA package.

>> WTH is a CSA package?
>>

> It's a box of raw produce that people pay way too much money for.
> Look at the "small" and what you get for $26. You'd still have to buy
> more. http://www.farmfreshtoyou.com/

It does look rather pricey for what it contains.

Cheri

Julie Bove[_2_] 23-09-2014 03:10 AM

How do you peel an acorn squash?

> wrote in message
> On Monday, September 22, 2014 6:42:50 AM UTC-7, Dave Smith wrote:
>

>> It is funny that you know that butternut squash is easier to peel but
>> you didn't know enough to but a butternut squash instead of an acorn.
>> They do look a lot different and, FWIW, butternut squash is nut
>> particularly easy to peel.
>>

> In fairness, acorn squash appeared in her CSA box, the contents of which
> is not under the subscriber's control.

It was under my control and I knew I was getting it. I got confused because
I had been talking to my friend prior and she was telling me how she loved
butternut squash. So I looked up a recipe for that. Only after I went to
cut it open did I realize that it was not butternut. And yes, butternut is
easy to peel.

> Friends of mine who get CSA boxes are often perplexed at what to do with
> items included in their box, e.g. beets. But one CSA, in Oregon, provides
> recipes with their less usual vegetables.

Mine now does the recipes online. I would for sure know what to do with
beets though. I *love* beets!

Julie Bove[_2_] 23-09-2014 03:21 AM

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 22 Sep 2014 09:42:50 -0400, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
>
>> On 2014-09-22 8:55 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>

>> > Thanks! Hopefully next time I get one will remember that and not peel
>> > it. I think when I roasted them before I just put slices with peel and
>> > all. My mistake was in using a recipe for butternut squash and that is
>> > much easier to peel.

>> It is funny that you know that butternut squash is easier to peel but
>> you didn't know enough to but a butternut squash instead of an acorn.
>> They do look a lot different and, FWIW, butternut squash is nut
>> particularly easy to peel.

> Not knowing the difference between a butternut and an acorn seemed odd
> to me too. Don't CSA boxes tell you what's included? There shouldn't
> have been any guessing involved. I wouldn't have been surprised if
> Delicata was the topic because the skin looks like it should be
> inedible, but it's actually eaten along with the flesh.
>
> http://whatscookingamerica.net/squash.htm

I *do* know the difference. I just had butternut on the brain as my friend
and I had been talking about it. So when I had posted what I in the CSA
box, I made the mistake of saying that it was butternut. And knowing how
people here just hang on my every word and wait for me to make a mistake so
they can say that I was lying, I immediately corrected the mistake. I
immediately knew it was a mistake when I saw the squash. The only confusion
on my part was when I had at some point in another post, said that I was
cooking a butternut squash.

My CSA tells me what is in there ahead of time. I can then add or make
changes. I was with another CSA years ago that only allowed you a choice of
box size, all fruit, all vegetables or a mix of both. I did not like that
because I was continually getting things that I didn't want.

Julie Bove[_2_] 23-09-2014 03:21 AM

"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 22 Sep 2014 04:02:58 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>>I just looked up how to peel a butternut squash and realized immediately
>>that this wasn't what I got in my CSA package. It was actually an acorn
>>squash which from what I have read online can be cooked the same as an
>>acorn. And that's a good thing as I am using Ina Garten's recipe for
>>butternut. But it calls for the squash to be peeled and cut in cubes.
>>
>>I was able to peel the smooth part quite easily, but the part that has
>>goes
>>in and out with crevices and bumps was a bit of a nightmare. I did look
>>this up online and there were a variety of answers, some of which were
>>just
>>not to peel it or just not to buy it to begin with. So... How do you
>>peel
>>yours?

> I've grown most winter squash.
> I never peel acorn or butternut squash, I cut in half, scoop out the
> seeds, fill the cavity with butter, honey, saw-seege, whatever, and
> bake until the skin crisps, scoop out the flesh and enjoy eating the
> skin. If you want winter squash in cubes buy a larger variety of
> winter squash, like hubbard or banana... they can grow huge, most
> markets sell chunks by the pound.
> http://localfoods.about.com/od/winte...r-Squash_7.htm
> http://urbanext.illinois.edu/veggies/wsquash.cfm
> http://www.foodsubs.com/Squash.html
> Didja know that when you buy canned pumpkin it's actually butternut
> squash.

I will know next time to peel it.

Julie Bove[_2_] 23-09-2014 03:22 AM

How do you peel an acorn squash?

"Doris Night" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 22 Sep 2014 05:53:06 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Doris Night" > wrote in message
. ..
>>> On Mon, 22 Sep 2014 04:02:58 -0700, "Julie Bove"

>>> I've never peeled an acorn squash. I just cut it in half, scoop out
>>> the seeds, and roast it.
>>>
>>> What recipe are you using that it has to be cut up before cooking?

>>See above. It's all there.

> I do not see Ina Garten's recipe for butternut squash anywhere in your
> original post, or anywhere else in this thread.
>
> Doris

I'll quote it! :)

Julie Bove[_2_] 23-09-2014 03:23 AM

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 22 Sep 2014 12:12:01 -0400, Doris Night
> > wrote:
>
>> I do not see Ina Garten's recipe for butternut squash anywhere in your
>> original post, or anywhere else in this thread.

> It's in the first paragraph of her OP.
>
> I was left scratching my head and wondering why she stayed with that
> recipe after she figured out it was an acorn squash. Butternut is
> sweet and creamy, acorn is less sweet and stringier. Both are
> delicious, but I'd never dream of substituting acorn for butternut in
> soup or risotto.

Because I saw similar recipes for acorn that called for exactly the same
ingredients.

Julie Bove[_2_] 23-09-2014 03:51 AM

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> I just looked up how to peel a butternut squash and realized immediately
>> that this wasn't what I got in my CSA package.

> WTH is a CSA package? Are you wasting your money on pre-packaged meals
> like that other woman here? WTH is wrong with you people? Can you both
> not look at recipes and decide what to cook, then go buy the
> ingredients?
>
> G.

http://www.localharvest.org/csa/

When you get this, it comes right to your door. And it saves you money. I
also like it because it kind of forces us to eat things we wouldn't
normally. For instance, if I bought a squash, nobody would eat it. If I
tried to buy beets, and someone was with me, they'd grab the beets and put
them back. But now? Hey! It's in the box, we're saving money, you're
eating it! That being said, I would never get something that we dislike.
But I will get things to try.

Julie Bove[_2_] 23-09-2014 04:13 AM

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 22 Sep 2014 17:12:39 -0400, Gary > wrote:
>
>> Julie Bove wrote:
>> >
>> > I just looked up how to peel a butternut squash and realized
>> > immediately
>> > that this wasn't what I got in my CSA package.

>> WTH is a CSA package?
>>

> It's a box of raw produce that people pay way too much money for.
> Look at the "small" and what you get for $26. You'd still have to buy
> more. http://www.farmfreshtoyou.com/

This is my CSA

http://www.fullcircle.com/lp/fc/?mc=...FUiPfgodxLAAGQ

Not overpriced at all. Saves me a lot of money and time. I got the sprout
but I am thinking that I may need to go up a size.

Julie Bove[_2_] 23-09-2014 04:13 AM

"Cheri" > wrote in message

> "sf" > wrote in message

>>> WTH is a CSA package?
>>>

>> It's a box of raw produce that people pay way too much money for.
>> Look at the "small" and what you get for $26. You'd still have to buy
>> more. http://www.farmfreshtoyou.com/

> It does look rather pricey for what it contains.

Well that one might be. Mine isn't.

sf[_9_] 23-09-2014 06:07 AM

How do you peel an acorn squash?

On Mon, 22 Sep 2014 20:13:19 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message

> >> WTH is a CSA package?
> >>

> > It's a box of raw produce that people pay way too much money for.
> > Look at the "small" and what you get for $26. You'd still have to buy
> > more. http://www.farmfreshtoyou.com/

> This is my CSA
>
> http://www.fullcircle.com/lp/fc/?mc=...FUiPfgodxLAAGQ
>
> Not overpriced at all. Saves me a lot of money and time. I got the sprout
> but I am thinking that I may need to go up a size.

Thanks, but no thanks for the link. Here is what I got when I tried
to look at it:

Malicious Web Site Blocked

You attempted to access:

http://pcupgradenow.com/su/en/2/9923...3cab939f&sid=0

This is a known malicious web site. It is recommended that you do NOT
visit this site. The detailed report explains the security risks on
this site.

For your protection,visit Symantec to learn more about phishing and
internet security.

enow.com/su/en/2/992330f01e4a08ade88f15dfe24b7e5abddb8c2599b8e3f03b f7ea3a0f6cbe8e:1411447626/?filename=setup&b=3cab939f&sid=0
This is a known malicious web site. It is recommended that you do NOT
visit this site. The detailed report explains the security risks on
this site.

PLUS Norton blocked it as a known malicious web site and recommended
visiting Symantec to learn more about phishing and internet security.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.

Julie Bove[_2_] 23-09-2014 06:47 AM

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 22 Sep 2014 20:13:19 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:

>> > It's a box of raw produce that people pay way too much money for.
>> > Look at the "small" and what you get for $26. You'd still have to buy
>> > more. http://www.farmfreshtoyou.com/

>> This is my CSA
>>
>> http://www.fullcircle.com/lp/fc/?mc=...FUiPfgodxLAAGQ
>>
>> Not overpriced at all. Saves me a lot of money and time. I got the
>> sprout
>> but I am thinking that I may need to go up a size.

> Thanks, but no thanks for the link. Here is what I got when I tried
> to look at it:
>
> Malicious Web Site Blocked
>
> You attempted to access:
>
> http://pcupgradenow.com/su/en/2/9923...3cab939f&sid=0
>
> This is a known malicious web site. It is recommended that you do NOT
> visit this site. The detailed report explains the security risks on
> this site.
>
> For your protection,visit Symantec to learn more about phishing and
> internet security.
>
> enow.com/su/en/2/992330f01e4a08ade88f15dfe24b7e5abddb8c2599b8e3f03b f7ea3a0f6cbe8e:1411447626/?filename=setup&b=3cab939f&sid=0
> This is a known malicious web site. It is recommended that you do NOT
> visit this site. The detailed report explains the security risks on
> this site.
>
> PLUS Norton blocked it as a known malicious web site and recommended
> visiting Symantec to learn more about phishing and internet security.

That's strange. That is not the link that I posted. Just look up Full
Circle Farms.

sf[_9_] 23-09-2014 07:20 AM

How do you peel an acorn squash?

On Mon, 22 Sep 2014 19:21:41 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> > Didja know that when you buy canned pumpkin it's actually butternut
> > squash.

> I will know next time to peel it.

What he says is total BS. I know what pureed butternut squash tastes
like and I don't taste anything butternut in canned pumpkin puree.
Here's the process about how a variety of winter squashes are turned
into "pumpkin puree" (which tastes suspiciously like the puree I make
from plain old pumpkin):
http://www.forbes.com/sites/nadiaaru...pie-not-fresh/

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.

sf[_9_] 23-09-2014 07:21 AM

How do you peel an acorn squash?

On Mon, 22 Sep 2014 19:23:41 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Mon, 22 Sep 2014 12:12:01 -0400, Doris Night
> > > wrote:
> >
> >> I do not see Ina Garten's recipe for butternut squash anywhere in your
> >> original post, or anywhere else in this thread.

> > It's in the first paragraph of her OP.
> >
> > I was left scratching my head and wondering why she stayed with that
> > recipe after she figured out it was an acorn squash. Butternut is
> > sweet and creamy, acorn is less sweet and stringier. Both are
> > delicious, but I'd never dream of substituting acorn for butternut in
> > soup or risotto.

> Because I saw similar recipes for acorn that called for exactly the same
> ingredients.

Which Ina recipe are you talking about?

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.

Julie Bove[_2_] 23-09-2014 07:38 AM

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 22 Sep 2014 19:21:41 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>> > Didja know that when you buy canned pumpkin it's actually butternut
>> > squash.

>> I will know next time to peel it.

> What he says is total BS. I know what pureed butternut squash tastes
> like and I don't taste anything butternut in canned pumpkin puree.
> Here's the process about how a variety of winter squashes are turned
> into "pumpkin puree" (which tastes suspiciously like the puree I make
> from plain old pumpkin):
> http://www.forbes.com/sites/nadiaaru...pie-not-fresh/

I know. We seem to go through this and the lima bean thing every year or
so.

Julie Bove[_2_] 23-09-2014 07:40 AM

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 22 Sep 2014 19:23:41 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>> "sf" > wrote in message
>> > On Mon, 22 Sep 2014 12:12:01 -0400, Doris Night

>> > It's in the first paragraph of her OP.
>> >
>> > I was left scratching my head and wondering why she stayed with that
>> > recipe after she figured out it was an acorn squash. Butternut is
>> > sweet and creamy, acorn is less sweet and stringier. Both are
>> > delicious, but I'd never dream of substituting acorn for butternut in
>> > soup or risotto.

>> Because I saw similar recipes for acorn that called for exactly the same
>> ingredients.

> Which Ina recipe are you talking about?

The one for the butternut squash! Cubed, salt, pepper, butter and brown
sugar. No matter that I used the wrong squash. Husband loved it. I didn't
get to try it as I put real butter in it.

sf[_9_] 23-09-2014 07:56 AM

How do you peel an acorn squash?

On Mon, 22 Sep 2014 23:40:08 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> The one for the butternut squash!

She has a lot of recipes that call for butternut squash.

> Cubed, salt, pepper, butter and brown
> sugar. No matter that I used the wrong squash. Husband loved it. I didn't
> get to try it as I put real butter in it.

Which one - "Caramelized" or for "Roasted" butternut squash? Either
would work for acorn. Slice thickly and don't bother to peel it next
time.

Julie Bove[_2_] 23-09-2014 09:03 AM

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 22 Sep 2014 23:40:08 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>> The one for the butternut squash!

> She has a lot of recipes that call for butternut squash.
>
>> Cubed, salt, pepper, butter and brown
>> sugar. No matter that I used the wrong squash. Husband loved it. I
>> didn't
>> get to try it as I put real butter in it.

> Which one - "Caramelized" or for "Roasted" butternut squash? Either
> would work for acorn. Slice thickly and don't bother to peel it next
> time.

I think the name said caramelized. And I know not to peel it now. I just
went brain dead after I cut the ends off and began to peel it. It actually
took me that long for the brain to connect and say, "Hey! This is not
butternut!"

Doris Night 23-09-2014 01:52 PM

How do you peel an acorn squash?

On Mon, 22 Sep 2014 19:22:48 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Doris Night" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Mon, 22 Sep 2014 05:53:06 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:

>>>See above. It's all there.

>> I do not see Ina Garten's recipe for butternut squash anywhere in your
>> original post, or anywhere else in this thread.
>>
>> Doris

>I'll quote it! :)
>
>">>>I just looked up how to peel a butternut squash and realized immediately

You still haven't given the recipe. Ina Garten has many squash
recipes. I'm not sure which one you mean. Perhaps it's the butternut
squash risotto. That would need to be peeled and cut in cubes for
sure.

Doris