Old 26-08-2014, 12:37 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default REQ: Cookie or bar cookie recipe for my radiation guys

I have the two cutest, nicest technicians who do my radiation. They are
so helpful, sympathetic and gentle without ever being condescending.

If I'm feeling up to it later this week, I'd like to make them some goodies.

I was thinking of drop cookies or bar cookies which would not be a fuss
and would be easy for them to store.

My guys are of Mexican heritage, so I don't want to make anything
ethnic, just something nice, easy for me and tasty for them.

Would appreciate any ideas, preferably those using stuff one has in the
house.
--
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas

Old 26-08-2014, 12:52 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/25/2014 7:37 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
I have the two cutest, nicest technicians who do my radiation. They are
so helpful, sympathetic and gentle without ever being condescending.

If I'm feeling up to it later this week, I'd like to make them some
goodies.

I was thinking of drop cookies or bar cookies which would not be a fuss
and would be easy for them to store.

My guys are of Mexican heritage, so I don't want to make anything
ethnic, just something nice, easy for me and tasty for them.

Would appreciate any ideas, preferably those using stuff one has in the
house.

These used to be a big hit at Cub Scouts and other
community get-togethers when I was a kid.

Marble Squares

one batch of Toll House cookie dough, from the recipe on the bag, but do
not add the chocolate chips

Preheat oven as recipe calls for. Spread dough on a cookie sheet, or in
a 9 by 13 cake pan, in one sheet. Sprinkle the bag of chips on top.
Place in oven for about 5 minutes, to melt the chips. Swirl melted
chocolate around and into the top of the dough, creating a marbling
effect. Continue baking for the time the recipe calls for, or until
done, which might take a bit longer. Remove from oven. Slice into bars.
Old 26-08-2014, 01:03 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

The oatmeal cookie recipe on the back of the Quaker Oats package is easy,
delicious, and can be baked in bar form. Nothing wrong with Toll House
cookie pan cookies, either.

Tara
Old 26-08-2014, 01:33 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Wilder" wrote in message
eb.com...
I have the two cutest, nicest technicians who do my radiation. They are so
helpful, sympathetic and gentle without ever being condescending.

If I'm feeling up to it later this week, I'd like to make them some
goodies.

I was thinking of drop cookies or bar cookies which would not be a fuss
and would be easy for them to store.

My guys are of Mexican heritage, so I don't want to make anything ethnic,
just something nice, easy for me and tasty for them.

Would appreciate any ideas, preferably those using stuff one has in the
house.

The best no fuss cookies IMO are the peanut butter kind that you make with 1
cup of peanut butter, 1 large egg, and 1 cup of sugar. Stir it all together
for a couple of minutes until it becomes stiff, scoop out with cookie scoop
and bake for 16 minutes at 350, turning pan around after 8 minutes. I use
parchment under them. My dh and grandchildren love these and so simple to
make.

Cheri

Old 26-08-2014, 02:04 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheri wrote in rec.food.cooking:

[...]

LOL, a memory lane. We were living in Hawaii and Don had a hankering to
make these. He tried to add 1 cup flour to the same recipe. oops...

I was apologizing for months after laughing so hard I almost peed on
the sofa. Hey, don't get me wrong, I love the man, been married close
to 30 years now, but it was funny! He looked at me with them little
blue eyes going 'wha'd I do wrong?' and I lost it.

Thats ok. He got me later. Don makes a lovely stuffed squid. I tried
it and um, forgot to unstuff it (clean it). What a heck of a nasty
thing!

If it helps any, we laugh about it now and Don's very good at making
cookies while i have learned how to clean a squid.

Old 26-08-2014, 02:07 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Wilder" wrote in message
eb.com...
I have the two cutest, nicest technicians who do my radiation. They
are so helpful, sympathetic and gentle without ever being condescending.

If I'm feeling up to it later this week, I'd like to make them some
goodies.

I was thinking of drop cookies or bar cookies which would not be a
fuss and would be easy for them to store.

My guys are of Mexican heritage, so I don't want to make anything
ethnic, just something nice, easy for me and tasty for them.

Would appreciate any ideas, preferably those using stuff one has in
the house.

Everybody loves these. And they are so easy to make:

*No Bake Cookies*

1/2 C water
1/2 C cocoa
2 C sugar
6 Tbsp butter or margarine
2 tsp vanilla
3/4 C peanut butter (smooth or chunky, both work)
3 C "quick" rolled oats

Bring water and cocoa to a boil; stir with a whisk. Add sugar and
butter, and simmer until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat and stir
in peanut butter and vanilla. Add oats and mix well with a spoon. Cool
slightly, and drop by heaping tablespoonfuls onto wax paper.

You can substitute old fashioned rolled oats for half of the quick oats
to give them a little more texture.

HTH, Bob
Old 26-08-2014, 02:12 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

The Other Guy wrote in rec.food.cooking:

On Mon, 25 Aug 2014 18:37:38 -0500, Janet Wilder
wrote:

I have the two cutest, nicest technicians who do my radiation.
They are so helpful, sympathetic and gentle without ever being
condescending.

If I'm feeling up to it later this week, I'd like to make them some
goodies.

I was thinking of drop cookies or bar cookies which would not be a
fuss and would be easy for them to store.

My guys are of Mexican heritage, so I don't want to make anything
ethnic, just something nice, easy for me and tasty for them.

Would appreciate any ideas, preferably those using stuff one has in
the house.

I made a batch of my special oatmeal butterscotch cookies
for my rad guys/girls, AND gave them a stuffed possum as
a mascot. It lives on the monitor they use to do patient
setup and monitoring.

Ahem, recipe please?

Old 26-08-2014, 02:14 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/25/2014 8:07 PM, zxcvbob wrote:
[...]

You don't bake them?

--
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas
Old 26-08-2014, 02:20 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

I have the two cutest, nicest technicians who do my radiation. They are
so helpful, sympathetic and gentle without ever being condescending.

If I'm feeling up to it later this week, I'd like to make them some goodies.

I was thinking of drop cookies or bar cookies which would not be a fuss
and would be easy for them to store.

My guys are of Mexican heritage, so I don't want to make anything
ethnic, just something nice, easy for me and tasty for them.

Hmm, I think all foods are ethnic.

Would appreciate any ideas, preferably those using stuff one has in the
house.

I've no idea what you have in your house but I have everything to do
this:
http://www.bakeitwithbooze.com/2011/...h-vanilla.html
If you don't have tequila it'll work fine with rum. Or you can do
pina colada upside down cake... you'll need pineapple rings, cherries,
Coco Lopez, and rum... sexy, eh:
http://i59.tinypic.com/qof4ut.jpg
Old 26-08-2014, 02:26 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/25/2014 8:14 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
[...]

No, the oats absorb all the moisture and soften a bit. They set up into
something between a cookie and a candy. (closer to a cookie in sweetness)

Bob

Old 26-08-2014, 02:29 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/25/2014 9:26 PM, zxcvbob wrote:
[...]

Sounds tasty and quite easy to me! I have all the ingredients so I'm
saving this one. Thanks, Bob!

Jill
Old 26-08-2014, 02:29 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

I have the two cutest, nicest technicians who do my radiation.
They are so helpful, sympathetic and gentle without ever being
condescending.

If I'm feeling up to it later this week, I'd like to make them some
goodies.

I was thinking of drop cookies or bar cookies which would not be a
fuss and would be easy for them to store.

My guys are of Mexican heritage, so I don't want to make anything
ethnic, just something nice, easy for me and tasty for them.

Would appreciate any ideas, preferably those using stuff one has in
the house.

I made a batch of my special oatmeal butterscotch cookies
for my rad guys/girls, AND gave them a stuffed possum as
a mascot. It lives on the monitor they use to do patient
setup and monitoring.

Ahem, recipe please?

For stuffed 'possum? (let me check my Junior League cookbooks)

Bob
Old 26-08-2014, 02:38 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 25 Aug 2014 20:29:42 -0500, zxcvbob wrote:

For stuffed 'possum? (let me check my Junior League cookbooks)

You can find it in Charleston Receipts.

Tara
Old 26-08-2014, 02:49 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/25/2014 5:37 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
I have the two cutest, nicest technicians who do my radiation. They are
so helpful, sympathetic and gentle without ever being condescending.

If I'm feeling up to it later this week, I'd like to make them some
goodies.

I was thinking of drop cookies or bar cookies which would not be a fuss
and would be easy for them to store.

My guys are of Mexican heritage, so I don't want to make anything
ethnic, just something nice, easy for me and tasty for them.

Would appreciate any ideas, preferably those using stuff one has in the
house.

Well...

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Brown-Eyed-Susans-I/

Directions
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
Cream butter or margarine and 1/4 cup white sugar until light and
fluffy. Blend in almond extract. Add flour and salt; mix well.
Shape rounded teaspoonfuls of dough into balls. Place on ungreased
cookie sheet. Flatten middle of dough ball with thumb print. Bake 8 - 10
minutes or until golden brown around edges. Let cool.
To make Frosting: combine confectioner's sugar and cocoa. Add water and
vanilla and mix well. Place chocolate frosting into thumb print
indention of cooled cookies.
Old 26-08-2014, 02:50 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" wrote in message
news
[...]

Sounds like good times and good memories. :-)

Cheri