Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Who makes the good glass cooktops?

Reading the stewing thread, I get the impression there are good glass cooktops,
and there is crap.

What brands are good, and which scratch and crack?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, August 6, 2014 8:13:11 AM UTC-10, wrote:
> Reading the stewing thread, I get the impression there are good glass cooktops,
>
> and there is crap.
>

> What brands are good, and which scratch and crack?

My guess is that it doesn't matter what brand of cooktop you get. Mostly they're pretty generic. My recommendation is that you get an induction cooktop if you can. My guess is that you'll be hooked on induction if you do.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> What brands are good, and which scratch and crack?

The most famous one in Denmark is VOSS. They are so sturdy that they are very common to find 2nd hand. In fact every time I upgraded a stove when I moved in somewhere with crap, I found a used VOSS glass ceramic that looked like new.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, August 7, 2014 12:02:11 AM UTC+2, Michael Nielsen wrote:
> The most famous one in Denmark is VOSS. They are so sturdy that they are very common to find 2nd hand. In fact every time I upgraded a stove when I moved in somewhere with crap, I found a used VOSS glass ceramic that looked like new.

Before people say " well why do people put them to sale then", it is because of the new trend to by separate "build-it-in" stove and ovens to build into the kitchen furniture.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/6/2014 6:02 PM, Michael Nielsen wrote:

>> What brands are good, and which scratch and crack?

> The most famous one in Denmark is VOSS. They are so sturdy that they are very common to find 2nd hand. In fact every time I upgraded a stove when I moved in somewhere with crap, I found a used VOSS glass ceramic that looked like new.

How nice for you. Too bad too many people on this ng are shopping in
Denmark.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, August 7, 2014 12:08:32 AM UTC+2, jmcquown wrote:
> How nice for you. Too bad too many people on this ng are shopping in
>
> Denmark.

Are you saying that VOSS doesn't exist outside Denmark?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 6 Aug 2014 15:53:23 -0700 (PDT), Michael Nielsen
> wrote:

>On Thursday, August 7, 2014 12:08:32 AM UTC+2, jmcquown wrote:
>> How nice for you. Too bad too many people on this ng are shopping in
>>
>> Denmark.
>>

>Are you saying that VOSS doesn't exist outside Denmark?

It is an Electrolux brand in Denmark. I've never seen them in the US.
We do have Great Danes though. (woof)

http://group.electrolux.com/en/topic/voss-electrolux/
Voss is one of the great names of Denmark’s aristocracy – thus, the
Voss name on any product rightfully conveys a similar touch of the
elegant and aristocratic.

Voss is the brand name of luxury, with near cult personality
potential. Mere words like “quality” or “reliability” mean little in
this category, where an elite name on a product is more like personal
statement. Voss means success; Voss means premium. Voss commands the
Danish market, though its product lines of today are strictly in the
cooking category. The brand name Voss stands ready to bring its
aristocratic touch to any and all product lines
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 06/08/2014 4:53 PM, Michael Nielsen wrote:
> On Thursday, August 7, 2014 12:08:32 AM UTC+2, jmcquown wrote:
>> How nice for you. Too bad too many people on this ng are shopping in
>>
>> Denmark.
>>

> Are you saying that VOSS doesn't exist outside Denmark?

The most common European brands here would be Bosch and Miele. Asko, AEG
and Bertazzoni are also available in larger centres.
Graham

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Michael Nielsen" > wrote in message
> On Thursday, August 7, 2014 12:08:32 AM UTC+2, jmcquown wrote:
>> How nice for you. Too bad too many people on this ng are shopping in
>>
>> Denmark.
>>

> Are you saying that VOSS doesn't exist outside Denmark?

It does.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/6/2014 6:53 PM, Michael Nielsen wrote:
> On Thursday, August 7, 2014 12:08:32 AM UTC+2, jmcquown wrote:
>> How nice for you. Too bad too many people on this ng are shopping in
>>
>> Denmark.
>>

> Are you saying that VOSS doesn't exist outside Denmark?

I did not say that.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 6 Aug 2014 15:02:11 -0700 (PDT), Michael Nielsen
> wrote:

>> What brands are good, and which scratch and crack?

>The most famous one in Denmark is VOSS. They are so sturdy that they are very common to find 2nd hand. In fact every time I upgraded a stove when I moved in somewhere with crap, I found a used VOSS glass ceramic that looked like new.

Can you use a Cast Iron Skillet on the Voss without scratching it up?

William
Posted to rec.food.cooking

My over the stove cupboards are empty except for an unopened bag of blue corn chips. Been there since the Year One. I should really check the pull date....
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote in message

Reading the stewing thread, I get the impression there are good glass
cooktops,
and there is crap.

What brands are good, and which scratch and crack?

~~~~~~~
I have not kept up with current reviews, but mine is a Kitchen Aid that I
bought in 1997. It still looks brand new and works great. Like some others
said, I only store light-weight items above it.

MaryL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> What brands are good, and which scratch and crack?

I've had four GE glass-tops, including the present GE Monogram
five-burner induction cooktop. All have been fine and scratch-free.

I have nothing above them but the exhaust hood.

Even if you have smaller cabinets above an exhaust hood, the hood should
prevent anything that falls from landing on the glass.

If you have a microwave oven over your glass, then all bets are off.
First thing I'd do is remove it and install a good exhaust hood, like a
400-600 cfm Broan. It's very easy to do yourself.

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 07 Aug 2014 04:03:23 -0500, Janet Wilder >
wrote:

> I would think the vast majority of commercial kitchens would have
> natural gas stoves. Propane at the least.

Natural gas is less expensive. If electric was less expensive, then
commercial kitchens would use that.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/7/2014 10:42 AM, sf wrote:
> On Thu, 07 Aug 2014 04:03:23 -0500, Janet Wilder >
> wrote:
>
>> I would think the vast majority of commercial kitchens would have
>> natural gas stoves. Propane at the least.

> Natural gas is less expensive. If electric was less expensive, then
> commercial kitchens would use that.

It's pretty hard to flambe with electric, or get really good grille
marks either.

Plus it can't be dropped down in heat instantly (lag effect).
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"pltrgyst" wrote in message ...

> What brands are good, and which scratch and crack?

I've had four GE glass-tops, including the present GE Monogram
five-burner induction cooktop. All have been fine and scratch-free.

I have nothing above them but the exhaust hood.

Even if you have smaller cabinets above an exhaust hood, the hood should
prevent anything that falls from landing on the glass.

If you have a microwave oven over your glass, then all bets are off.
First thing I'd do is remove it and install a good exhaust hood, like a
400-600 cfm Broan. It's very easy to do yourself.

-- Larry

~~~~~~~
I have an exhaust hood above the oven and small cabinets (with light weight
items) above that. I have avoided putting a microwave above the oven
because I have arthritis in my hands and lower back problems, so I don't
want to try lifting anything hot and heavy from above. Now that the topic
has come up, it could also be a danger to the glass top.

MaryL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, August 6, 2014 12:13:11 PM UTC-6, wrote:
> Reading the stewing thread, I get the impression there are good glass cooktops,
>
> and there is crap.
>

> What brands are good, and which scratch and crack?

Our first glass top was a Whirpool. I loved it as I could set it and basically forget it. I knew the setting for saute and the setting for simmer, etc. It would hold the temperature very well. We replaced it (remodeling and wanted a different look) with a GE Monogram glass top. I had to constantly watch and fiddle with the settings. It would get too hot after a time. It was not my favorite cooktop.

We now have gas and I would like to go to induction. Unfortunately the wiring would be pretty expensive.

DaleP
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 07 Aug 2014 10:52:32 -0600, squirts > wrote:

> It's pretty hard to flambe with electric, or get really good grille
> marks either.

If electric was the fuel of choice, all that would be figured out.in a
professional kitchen. I certainly didn't have any problem getting
grill marks using the indoor electric grill that was part of my
cooktop and fire/flambe can always be started with a gun style
lighter. BTDT

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 07 Aug 2014 10:52:32 -0600, squirts > wrote:

> Plus it can't be dropped down in heat instantly (lag effect).

The don't adjust the flame in a professional kitchen, they hoist the
pan. The same method can be used with electric.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, August 7, 2014 6:52:32 PM UTC+2, squirts wrote:

> It's pretty hard to flambe with electric, or get really good grille
>
> marks either.

Why? I use long matches and dark rum. works fine on my glassceremic. Oh, and very thick bottom.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/7/2014 9:46 AM, MaryL wrote:

> wrote in message
>
> Reading the stewing thread, I get the impression there are good glass
> cooktops,
> and there is crap.
>
> What brands are good, and which scratch and crack?
>
> ~~~~~~~
> I have not kept up with current reviews, but mine is a Kitchen Aid that
> I bought in 1997. It still looks brand new and works great. Like some
> others said, I only store light-weight items above it.
>
> MaryL

Our KA was purchased last year, so I am happy to hear that yours is
still doing well after all these years, I hope mine does, too. We have a
large vent hood above ours, so there is no shelving above it, so ours is
safe in that aspect.

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/7/2014 12:16 PM, sf wrote:
> On Thu, 07 Aug 2014 10:52:32 -0600, squirts > wrote:
>
>> It's pretty hard to flambe with electric, or get really good grille
>> marks either.

> If electric was the fuel of choice, all that would be figured out.in a
> professional kitchen. I certainly didn't have any problem getting
> grill marks using the indoor electric grill that was part of my
> cooktop and fire/flambe can always be started with a gun style
> lighter. BTDT

The closest tool yet still isn't very linear on the salamander style
performance.

http://www.namathproducts.com/namath-rapidcooker/

And if you're grilling for ,many hours straight only gas or wood/coal
has the durability to get the job done day in and day out.

Any electric element will quickly give way to grease fires and metal
fatigue under commercial heavy duty use. Plus they have to duty cycle,
which means irregularly timed cold spots.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/7/2014 12:17 PM, sf wrote:
> On Thu, 07 Aug 2014 10:52:32 -0600, squirts > wrote:
>
>> Plus it can't be dropped down in heat instantly (lag effect).

> The don't adjust the flame in a professional kitchen, they hoist the
> pan. The same method can be used with electric.

I've seen both, in fact there are dedicated burners for the saute
stations, pasta, etc.

In an Asian kitchen the woks are set on volcanic levels of flame,
something no electric element and ring can mimic.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, August 7, 2014 6:52:32 PM UTC+2, squirts wrote:

> It's pretty hard to flambe with electric, or get really good grille
> marks either.

That's funny -- I make Bananas Foster about every other week, and get
beautiful diamond-shaped grill marks on my steaks and chops.

Maybe you just don't know what you're doing in the kitchen.

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>> Not if gas lines are not available, which is the case in many places.
>>>

>> That is why we have propane. We h ave two 100# tanks and they fill them
>> once a year. Yesterday in fact, $164 for a year of cooking. We ditched
>> the electric range about 30 years ago and had propane installed.

> I own a condo and although the furnaces for heating have been
> converted, the option to cook with it is not available. I do own my
> condo which is my home, but gas for cooking is not available.

It's not always easy to convert to something like propane nor does
everyone necessarily have a good place to install the tank(s).

The only place in my back yard to have a propane tank would be right
outside my bedroom windows. Sorry, I do not want to look out the at a
big metal tank. I also do not know how they'd be able to run the lines
from the back of the house to the kitchen without a huge hassle.
There's only about a 3 foot clearance on that side of the house that is
on my property. I'd have to get permission from the neighbors to have
workers blocking off that side of the house while they did the work.
I'd also have to get approval from the architectural review board.

I'm not *that* interested in cooking with propane. I don't have a glass
cooktop (sorry to the OP) but I know how to cook on an electric stove.
The one I have, I've grown accostomed to the quirks. Anyone who does a
lot of cooking gets used to (and adapts to) the quirks of the
stovetop/oven they use. IMHO.

Jill