Lena

Default Gas on glass cooktops - opinions?

I am currently remodelling the kitchen and need to buy a gas cooktop. I am
considering "gas on glass" models. However somebody told me that such
cooktops are very delicate, they scratch easily and are difficult to clean.
Is it true? Would a stainless steel cooktop be a better choice?

Thanks in advance,
Lena

Christine

> I am currently remodelling the kitchen and need to buy a gas cooktop. I am
> considering "gas on glass" models. However somebody told me that such
> cooktops are very delicate, they scratch easily and are difficult to

clean.
> Is it true? Would a stainless steel cooktop be a better choice?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Lena

Lena,

I have a Jenn-Air glass cooktop and find it much easier to keep clean than
the metal types. Also, the burners are round instead of square... I like
that better. It has one "power" burner and one simmer burner. I've had it
about a year and a half and haven't found that it scratches easily.

Chris in Pearland, TX

Lena > wrote:
> I am currently remodelling the kitchen and need to buy a gas cooktop. I am
> considering "gas on glass" models. However somebody told me that such
> cooktops are very delicate, they scratch easily and are difficult to clean.
> Is it true? Would a stainless steel cooktop be a better choice?

Gas on glass? What does that mean, exactly. My friend and neighbor
recently remodelled his kitchen and put in a gas cooktop that has
a glass surface surronding the burners. It has normal metal grates,
but the surface under and around the burners is some sort of glass/ceramic
type of stuff. Anyway, if that's the type you are talking about
I can report that he is very pleased with his, and doesn't seem to
have any problems with cleaning or scratches. I can ask what model
it is. I just read some reviews on some web pages, and the people
complaining about cleaning seem to be the ones with white cooktops.
My friend's is black. That may be the difference.

Bill Ranck
Blacksburg, Va.

Vox Humana

> wrote in message ...
> Lena > wrote:
> > I am currently remodelling the kitchen and need to buy a gas cooktop. I

am
> > considering "gas on glass" models. However somebody told me that such
> > cooktops are very delicate, they scratch easily and are difficult to

clean.
> > Is it true? Would a stainless steel cooktop be a better choice?

> Gas on glass? What does that mean, exactly.

It's a newer type of smooth cooktop. Instead of electric elements or
halogen bulbs under glass, it is a gas burner under gas. I doubt if there
is much experience with this type of product in the US. I would expect the
glass/ceramic top to be as durable and cleanable as the electric smooth
tops. Frankly, it doesn't seem like a very good way to transfer heat to a
pan. I would think that venting the combustion gases would be an issue,
just as it is with a furnace or water heater.

You can read about it he
http://www.ammagazine.com/CDA/Articl...,11507,00.html

Steve Calvin

Vox Humana wrote:

> > wrote in message ...
>
>>Lena > wrote:
>>
>>>I am currently remodelling the kitchen and need to buy a gas cooktop. I

> am
>
>>>considering "gas on glass" models. However somebody told me that such
>>>cooktops are very delicate, they scratch easily and are difficult to

> clean.
>
>>>Is it true? Would a stainless steel cooktop be a better choice?

>>Gas on glass? What does that mean, exactly.

> It's a newer type of smooth cooktop. Instead of electric elements or
> halogen bulbs under glass, it is a gas burner under gas. I doubt if there
> is much experience with this type of product in the US. I would expect the
> glass/ceramic top to be as durable and cleanable as the electric smooth
> tops. Frankly, it doesn't seem like a very good way to transfer heat to a
> pan. I would think that venting the combustion gases would be an issue,
> just as it is with a furnace or water heater.
>
> You can read about it he
> http://www.ammagazine.com/CDA/Articl...,11507,00.html

Interesting. Thanks for the pointer Vox. I think that I'll stay with the
glass electric though for mainly the reasons that you stated. Well,
those plus the fact that it's new. ;-)

Lena

"Vox Humana" > wrote in message

> It's a newer type of smooth cooktop. Instead of electric elements or
> halogen bulbs under glass, it is a gas burner under gas. I doubt if there
> is much experience with this type of product in the US. I would expect

the
> glass/ceramic top to be as durable and cleanable as the electric smooth
> tops. Frankly, it doesn't seem like a very good way to transfer heat to a
> pan. I would think that venting the combustion gases would be an issue,
> just as it is with a furnace or water heater.
>
> You can read about it he

http://www.ammagazine.com/CDA/Articl...,11507,00.html

Actually, you are talking about "gas under glass" cooktops. They are rare
(only two brands in my country) and very expensive, can cost even 3 times as
much as regular gas cooktops. By "gas on glass" I meant a normal gas cooktop
with visible burners and grates, only on glass surface instead of a steel
one.

Lena

Vox Humana

"Lena" > wrote in message
> "Vox Humana" > wrote in message
> >
> > It's a newer type of smooth cooktop. Instead of electric elements or
> > halogen bulbs under glass, it is a gas burner under gas. I doubt if

there
> > is much experience with this type of product in the US. I would expect

> the
> > glass/ceramic top to be as durable and cleanable as the electric smooth
> > tops. Frankly, it doesn't seem like a very good way to transfer heat to

> > pan. I would think that venting the combustion gases would be an issue,
> > just as it is with a furnace or water heater.
> >
> > You can read about it he

http://www.ammagazine.com/CDA/Articl...,11507,00.html

> Actually, you are talking about "gas under glass" cooktops. They are rare
> (only two brands in my country) and very expensive, can cost even 3 times

as
> much as regular gas cooktops. By "gas on glass" I meant a normal gas

cooktop
> with visible burners and grates, only on glass surface instead of a steel
> one.

Oh, I understand now. In that case I wouldn't worry about it. They look as
durable and cleanable as the other smooth top ranges. They can scratch and
it isn't going to be as easy as wiping with a paper towel to clean them, but
they aren't going to be unreasonably fragile. If you drop a heavy pot on it
from an overhead cabinet, you are going to break it. Otherwise, it will
stand-up to normal use. I would go for it if that's what you want.

Larry

On Thu, 05 Feb 2004 17:16:43 GMT, "Vox Humana" >
wrote:

>It's a newer type of smooth cooktop. Instead of electric elements or
>halogen bulbs under glass, it is a gas burner under g[l]a[s]s.

Sounds more like "glass on gas" than "gas on glass" then...

-- Larry

bumblebee

I have a GE profile gas with "glass" cooktop. This is not gas under
glass but the regular gas burners but there is glass on the cooktop
surface. It is a black textured color. I really like it. But do not
get I repeat do not get a grate (the metal part the pots go on) that
is a taupey beige or grey. They really suck big time and get so dirty
fast. Get only black grates.