Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

Default Restaurant Service today versus 10 years ago.

This is eye opening. No wonder many restaurants have signs asking customers to please turn off their cell phones.

http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/rnr/4562386373.html

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ImStillMags" > wrote in message
> This is eye opening. No wonder many restaurants have signs asking
> customers to please turn off their cell phones.
>

> http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/rnr/4562386373.html

a bit tongue in cheek, but funny and with a bit of validity.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-07-12 20:45, Pico Rico wrote:
> "ImStillMags" > wrote in message
>> This is eye opening. No wonder many restaurants have signs asking
>> customers to please turn off their cell phones.
>>

>> http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/rnr/4562386373.html
>>

> a bit tongue in cheek, but funny and with a bit of validity.

Dang. I can't access the article now but I read it earlier. I thought it
was interesting to note that the guy claimed to have hired a firm to
deal with their situation. Then he presents the stats on various aspects
of service 10 years ago versus now. That leaves me wondering how the
consultant came up with the times that it took staff to get to them
customers, take their orders, get their food to them etc from 10 years
ago. If the restaurant was able to gather that information 10 years ago,
there really wouldn't be a reason for them to hire a consultant to
gather the same data that they previously gathered on their own.

Maybe I am left behind in the technical era but I find it hard to
believe that the staff is having to waste a significant amount of time
have to deal with wifi connectivity issues. I have only used restaurant
and hotel wifi a few times. It was pretty easy to connect. If they
really waste a lot of time with those issues maybe they need better
wifi.... or get rid of it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-07-12 21:37, Dave Smith wrote:

>> a bit tongue in cheek, but funny and with a bit of validity.
>>

> Dang. I can't access the article now but I read it earlier. I thought it
> was interesting to note that the guy claimed to have hired a firm to
> deal with their situation. Then he presents the stats on various aspects
> of service 10 years ago versus now. That leaves me wondering how the
> consultant came up with the times that it took staff to get to them
> customers, take their orders, get their food to them etc from 10 years
> ago. If the restaurant was able to gather that information 10 years ago,
> there really wouldn't be a reason for them to hire a consultant to
> gather the same data that they previously gathered on their own.
>
> Maybe I am left behind in the technical era but I find it hard to
> believe that the staff is having to waste a significant amount of time
> have to deal with wifi connectivity issues. I have only used restaurant
> and hotel wifi a few times. It was pretty easy to connect. If they
> really waste a lot of time with those issues maybe they need better
> wifi.... or get rid of it.

Never mind.... I was able to connect to that article again and said that
the consultant suggested they try to find old surveillance tapes.
They looked for the tapes but their old policy had been to keep the old
tapes for 90 days. However..... the happened to have the two old
recording devices in the storage room, and each one had a tape it. What
a coincidence that those two tapes were time stamped almost exactly 10
years ago.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ImStillMags" > wrote in message
> This is eye opening. No wonder many restaurants have signs asking
> customers to please turn off their cell phones.
>

> http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/rnr/4562386373.html

Flagged and removed.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Pico Rico" > wrote in message

> "ImStillMags" > wrote in message
>> This is eye opening. No wonder many restaurants have signs asking
>> customers to please turn off their cell phones.
>>

>> http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/rnr/4562386373.html
>>

> a bit tongue in cheek, but funny and with a bit of validity.

"This posting has been flagged for removal. [?]"
"(The title on the listings page will be removed in just a few minutes.)"

Tell us about it?

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-07-13 8:09 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "Pico Rico" > wrote in message
>>
>> "ImStillMags" > wrote in message
>>> This is eye opening. No wonder many restaurants have signs asking
>>> customers to please turn off their cell phones.
>>>

>>> http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/rnr/4562386373.html
>>>

>> a bit tongue in cheek, but funny and with a bit of validity.

> "This posting has been flagged for removal. [?]"
> "(The title on the listings page will be removed in just a few minutes.)"
>
> Tell us about it?

I had the same problem from the posted link I got it from another source
via FB. I would suggest a critical read of it because I really doubt the
credibility of enough of the observations to cast doubt on the whole thing.

We are a popular restaurant for both locals and tourists alike. Having
been in business for many years, we noticed that although the number of
customers we serve on a daily basis is almost the same today as it was
10 years ago, the service just seems super slow even though we added
more staff and cut back on the menu items...

One of the most common complaints on review sites against us and many
restaurants in the area is that the service was slow and/or they needed
to wait a bit long for a table.

We decided to hire a firm to help us solve this mystery, and naturally
the first thing they blamed it on was that the employees need more
training and that maybe the kitchen staff is just not up to the task of
serving that many customers.

Like most restaurants in NYC we have a surveillance system, and unlike
today where it's a digital system, 10 years ago we still used special
high capacity tapes to record all activity. At any given time we had 4
special Sony systems recording multiple cameras. We would store the
footage for 90 days just in case we needed it for something.

The firm we hired suggested we locate some of the older tapes and
analyze how the staff behaved 10 years ago versus how they behave now.
We went down to our storage room but we couldn't find any tapes at all.

We did find the recording devices, and luckily for us, each device has 1
tape in it that we simply never removed when we upgraded to the new
digital system!

The date stamp on the old footage was Thursday July 1, 2004. The
restaurant was very busy that day. We loaded up the footage on a large
monitor, and next to it on a separate monitor loaded up the footage of
Thursday July 3 2014, with roughly the same amount of customers as ten
years before.

I will quickly outline the findings. We carefully looked at over 45
transactions in order to determine the data below:

2004:

Customers walk in.

They gets seated and are given menus, out of 45 customers 3 request to
be seated elsewhere.

Customers on average spend 8 minutes before closing the menu to show
they are ready to order.

Waiters shows up almost instantly takes the order.

Appetizers are fired within 6 minutes, obviously the more complex items
take longer.

Out of 45 customers 2 sent items back.

Waiters keep an eye out for their tables so they can respond quickly if
the customer needs something.

After guests are done, the check delivered, and within 5 minutes they leave.

Average time from start to finish: 1:05

2014:
Customers walk in.

Customers get seated and is given menus, out of 45 customers 18
requested to be seated elsewhere.

Before even opening the menu they take their phones out, some are taking
photos while others are simply doing something else on their phone
(sorry we have no clue what they are doing and do not monitor customer
WIFI activity).

7 out of the 45 customers had waiters come over right away, they showed
them something on their phone and spent an average of 5 minutes of the
waiter's time. Given this is recent footage, we asked the waiters about
this and they explained those customers had a problem connecting to the
WIFI and demanded the waiters try to help them.

Finally the waiters are walking over to the table to see what the
customers would like to order. The majority have not even opened the
menu and ask the waiter to wait a bit.

Customer opens the menu, places their hands holding their phones on top
of it and continue doing whatever on their phone.

Waiter returns to see if they are ready to order or have any questions.
The customer asks for more time.

Finally they are ready to order.

Total average time from when the customer was seated until they placed
their order 21 minutes.

Food starts getting delivered within 6 minutes, obviously the more
complex items take way longer.

26 out of 45 customers spend an average of 3 minutes taking photos of
the food.

14 out of 45 customers take pictures of each other with the food in
front of them or as they are eating the food. This takes on average
another 4 minutes as they must review and sometimes retake the photo.

9 out of 45 customers sent their food back to reheat. Obviously if they
didn't pause to do whatever on their phone the food wouldn't have gotten
cold.

27 out of 45 customers asked their waiter to take a group photo. 14 of
those requested the waiter retake the photo as they were not pleased
with the first photo. On average this entire process between the chit
chatting and reviewing the photo taken added another 5 minutes and
obviously caused the waiter not to be able to take care of other tables
he/she was serving.

Given in most cases the customers are constantly busy on their phones it
took an average of 20 minutes more from when they were done eating until
they requested a check. Furthermore once the check was delivered it took
15 minutes longer than 10 years ago for them to pay and leave.

8 out of 45 customers bumped into other customers or in one case a
waiter (texting while walking) as they were either walking in or out of
the Restaurant.

Average time from start to finish: 1:55

We are grateful for everyone who comes into our restaurant, after all
there are so many choices out there. But can you please be a bit more
considerate?

My take on it.....
First of all, they were concerned about reviews online. I am quite sure
they should know by know that online reviews are useless. It has been
widely reported that they are mostly people making positive reports
about their own businesses or those of friends and family.

Appetizers are being served within 6 minutes of ordering??? Maybe the
have cooks standing around with nothing to do?

"7 out of the 45 customers had waiters come over right away, they showed
them something on their phone and spent an average of 5 minutes of the
waiter's time." I have never seen a customer call a waiter over to
show them something on their phone, but more than 15% of their customers
are doing it and none of the waiters have ever passed on the problems to
their manager????

9 out of 45 customers sent their food back to be re-heated because it
got cold while they were on the phone??

26 of them took an average of 3 minutes taking pictures of their food.
Seriously??? More than half the customers spent that much time... on
average to take photos of their food.

These are bullshit claims. They are so obviously crap that it casts a
shadow on the credibility of the whole article. At first I doubted the
claim that the happened to find two tapes in the machines from exactly
10 years earlier. It was hard enough to believe that the consultant
would even think of looking for 10 year old surveillance tapes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/12/2014 2:56 PM, ImStillMags wrote:
> This is eye opening. No wonder many restaurants have signs asking customers to please turn off their cell phones.
>

> http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/rnr/4562386373.html

Craigslist? Why would there be something on Craigslist about
restaurants and cell phones? (BTW, whatever that listing was has been
removed.)

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 12 Jul 2014 11:56:12 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
> wrote:

>This is eye opening. No wonder many restaurants have signs asking customers to please turn off their cell phones.
>

>http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/rnr/4562386373.html

Cell phones are the bane of our modern society, and quite possibly the
biggest and mosty ubiquitous facilitator of the "'I'm the only human
on the face of the planet!' delusion"!! A valuble tool, cell phones
and their over use is stupid and harmful.

I am so glad I do not have one!

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default The REAL Link: Restaurant Service today versus 10 years ago.

On 7/12/2014 2:56 PM, ImStillMags wrote:
> This is eye opening. No wonder many restaurants have signs asking customers to please turn off their cell phones.
>

> http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/rnr/4562386373.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...estaurant.html

or

http://tinyurl.com/n99ekxv

I see Craigslist is mentioned at the beginning of the article; I didn't
realize they have a "Rants & Raves" section. I guess that's the posting
that has since been removed. But you can read it in the actual article.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/12/2014 8:56 AM, ImStillMags wrote:
> This is eye opening. No wonder many restaurants have signs asking customers to please turn off their cell phones.
>

> http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/rnr/4562386373.html

Sounds like a complete fabrication. Oddly enough, I read the article on
a cell phone in a restaurant.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On 7/12/2014 8:56 AM, ImStillMags wrote:
>> This is eye opening. No wonder many restaurants have signs asking
>> customers to please turn off their cell phones.
>>

>> http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/rnr/4562386373.html
>>

> Sounds like a complete fabrication. Oddly enough, I read the article on a
> cell phone in a restaurant.

lol sounds like you ;-)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On 7/12/2014 8:56 AM, ImStillMags wrote:
>> This is eye opening. No wonder many restaurants have signs asking
>> customers to please turn off their cell phones.
>>

>> http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/rnr/4562386373.html
>>

> Sounds like a complete fabrication. Oddly enough, I read the article on a
> cell phone in a restaurant.

no doubt delaying your ordering.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/13/2014 7:17 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "dsi1" > wrote in message
>> On 7/12/2014 8:56 AM, ImStillMags wrote:
>>> This is eye opening. No wonder many restaurants have signs asking
>>> customers to please turn off their cell phones.
>>>

>>> http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/rnr/4562386373.html
>>>

>> Sounds like a complete fabrication. Oddly enough, I read the article on a
>> cell phone in a restaurant.

> lol sounds like you ;-)

If you're unfamiliar with Craigslist, it's a website in the states where
buyers and sellers can find and meet scammers and cheats, and
vice-versa. Evidently, they're expanding to fill a need in the bogus
investigative internet-news article genre.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/13/2014 7:20 AM, Pico Rico wrote:
> "dsi1" > wrote in message
>> On 7/12/2014 8:56 AM, ImStillMags wrote:
>>> This is eye opening. No wonder many restaurants have signs asking
>>> customers to please turn off their cell phones.
>>>

>>> http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/rnr/4562386373.html
>>>

>> Sounds like a complete fabrication. Oddly enough, I read the article on a
>> cell phone in a restaurant.

> no doubt delaying your ordering.

Any delays were caused by the server not being familiar with a Nexus 5.
It took him 5 minutes to connect my phone to the restaurant wifi. What
the hell? Of course, we all know what that means - NO TIP!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 13 Jul 2014 07:44:43 -1000, dsi1
> wrote:

> If you're unfamiliar with Craigslist, it's a website in the states where
> buyers and sellers can find and meet scammers and cheats, and
> vice-versa. Evidently, they're expanding to fill a need in the bogus
> investigative internet-news article genre.

Yesterday, my son picked up a used play structure for free that easily
cost $1000 when new (which was probably 10 years ago. He and my son
in law took it apart and hauled it away for them. Everybody is happy.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On 7/13/2014 7:17 AM, Ophelia wrote:

>>> Sounds like a complete fabrication. Oddly enough, I read the article on
>>> cell phone in a restaurant.

>> lol sounds like you ;-)
>>

> If you're unfamiliar with Craigslist, it's a website in the states where
> buyers and sellers can find and meet scammers and cheats, and vice-versa.
> Evidently, they're expanding to fill a need in the bogus investigative
> internet-news article genre.

Sounds very ... er ... attractive !!! Just a question if I may? Given what
you say, why is anyone using it?

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 13 Jul 2014 07:44:43 -1000, dsi1
> > wrote:
>
>> If you're unfamiliar with Craigslist, it's a website in the states where
>> buyers and sellers can find and meet scammers and cheats, and
>> vice-versa. Evidently, they're expanding to fill a need in the bogus
>> investigative internet-news article genre.

> Yesterday, my son picked up a used play structure for free that easily
> cost $1000 when new (which was probably 10 years ago. He and my son
> in law took it apart and hauled it away for them. Everybody is happy.

Cool) Not all bad then)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/13/2014 8:03 AM, sf wrote:
> On Sun, 13 Jul 2014 07:44:43 -1000, dsi1
> > wrote:
>
>> If you're unfamiliar with Craigslist, it's a website in the states where
>> buyers and sellers can find and meet scammers and cheats, and
>> vice-versa. Evidently, they're expanding to fill a need in the bogus
>> investigative internet-news article genre.

> Yesterday, my son picked up a used play structure for free that easily
> cost $1000 when new (which was probably 10 years ago. He and my son
> in law took it apart and hauled it away for them. Everybody is happy.

I've used Craigslist for buying cars. They just haven't infiltrated the
used play structure listings yet.

My experience has been not a good one. However, it's the only game in
town. My guess is that scammers feel the same way. If I'm selling a car,
I'll get a call early on from some foreign guy saying that he wants the
car and not to sell it. Sometimes they call back and sometimes not.

Your first warning sign should be that they won't let you see the car at
their home address. Obviously, their business is selling 3rd party cars.
If they can get a good price for your car, they'll sell it without
transferring ownership. You buy a car from these guys, and you have no
idea who sold it to you. This may or may not be important to you. OTOH,
you can get some pretty good deals from them. The bad part is that
everything they tell you is a complete fabrication.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Craigslist (WAS: Restaurant Service today versus 10 years ago.)

On 7/13/2014 2:10 PM, Ophelia wrote:

> "dsi1" > wrote in message
>>
>> If you're unfamiliar with Craigslist, it's a website in the states
>> where buyers and sellers can find and meet scammers and cheats, and
>> vice-versa. Evidently, they're expanding to fill a need in the bogus
>> investigative internet-news article genre.

> Sounds very ... er ... attractive !!! Just a question if I may? Given
> what you say, why is anyone using it?

It started out as a free web-based site for people who want to sell or
buy things, swap items, ask about local services such as baby-sitting or
maids, etc. Separated by locality, so you're not asking "Does anyone
have a crib I could buy?" of someone in New York when you live in
California.

I have no idea what Craigslist has morphed into now. I didn't realize
there was a "Rants & Raves" section.

I do remember a made-for-TV movie called 'The Craigslist Killer'. Take
the sensationalized movie with a grain of salt.

Apparently Craiglist used to have a section for people offering rather
exotic "personal" services. The accused, Philip Markoff, allegedly met
them via Craigslist and robbed them at gunpoint. He was accused of
murdering a woman he met via Craigslist. He killed himself before the
case could come to trial. Craigslist or not, I'm pretty sure it's not
typical behavior.

My one experience with Craigslist was when I was settling my mom's
estate. I sold her Buick via Craigslist. (Shut up, everyone; the money
went into the shared estate.) The buyers were an elderly husband and
wife. Nice people.

I did get suspicious of a potential buyer who said he'd fly down from
Minnesota, buy the car and drive it back so he could sell it in his used
car lot. What, there are no used Buick's in Minnesota? I wondered why
would this guy pay for an airline ticket, then take a taxi from the
airport 60 miles away, only to drive the car another 1300 miles back to
Minnesota to sell it? I'm not a very trusting person. It sounded
*very* odd to me. It's not as if it was a rare *classic* car.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/13/2014 2:10 PM, Ophelia wrote:

> "dsi1" > wrote

>> If you're unfamiliar with Craigslist, it's a website in the states
>> where buyers and sellers can find and meet scammers and cheats, and
>> vice-versa. Evidently, they're expanding to fill a need in the bogus
>> investigative internet-news article genre.

> Sounds very ... er ... attractive !!! Just a question if I may? Given
> what you say, why is anyone using it?

Surely something like it exists in the UK.

I have had only one experience with Craigslist. I sold my
car. It was interesting. I wound up selling to a local guy
who paid me cash, he got a good deal and I got rid of a car
I wasn't using. I don't normally like dealing face to face
with strangers, it can be dicey.

Of course some people tried to pay me half price so they could
sell it at a profit. Nothing wrong with trying. It was a good
experience but plenty of people have bad ones, too.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
> On 7/13/2014 2:10 PM, Ophelia wrote:
>>

>> "dsi1" > wrote

>>> If you're unfamiliar with Craigslist, it's a website in the states
>>> where buyers and sellers can find and meet scammers and cheats, and
>>> vice-versa. Evidently, they're expanding to fill a need in the bogus
>>> investigative internet-news article genre.

>> Sounds very ... er ... attractive !!! Just a question if I may? Given
>> what you say, why is anyone using it?

> Surely something like it exists in the UK.
>
> I have had only one experience with Craigslist. I sold my
> car. It was interesting. I wound up selling to a local guy
> who paid me cash, he got a good deal and I got rid of a car
> I wasn't using. I don't normally like dealing face to face
> with strangers, it can be dicey.
>
> Of course some people tried to pay me half price so they could
> sell it at a profit. Nothing wrong with trying. It was a good
> experience but plenty of people have bad ones, too.

See my post about 'Gumtree'!

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/13/2014 3:01 PM, Ophelia wrote:

> "Nancy Young" > wrote in message
>> On 7/13/2014 2:10 PM, Ophelia wrote:
>>>

>>> "dsi1" > wrote

>>> Sounds very ... er ... attractive !!! Just a question if I may? Given
>>> what you say, why is anyone using it?

>> Surely something like it exists in the UK.
>>
>> I have had only one experience with Craigslist. I sold my
>> car. It was interesting. I wound up selling to a local guy
>> who paid me cash, he got a good deal and I got rid of a car
>> I wasn't using. I don't normally like dealing face to face
>> with strangers, it can be dicey.
>>
>> Of course some people tried to pay me half price so they could
>> sell it at a profit. Nothing wrong with trying. It was a good
>> experience but plenty of people have bad ones, too.

> See my post about 'Gumtree'!

I just saw that. I knew you had to have something similar.
Yeah, you really have to assume someone's going to try to pull
a fast one, somehow. If it smells fishy, forget it. I remember
Jill selling her car, I had such an easy time, I felt badly
that this creep from Minnesota (so he said) was bothering her.

Good luck with your transaction.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
> On 7/13/2014 3:01 PM, Ophelia wrote:

>>> Surely something like it exists in the UK.
>>>
>>> I have had only one experience with Craigslist. I sold my
>>> car. It was interesting. I wound up selling to a local guy
>>> who paid me cash, he got a good deal and I got rid of a car
>>> I wasn't using. I don't normally like dealing face to face
>>> with strangers, it can be dicey.
>>>
>>> Of course some people tried to pay me half price so they could
>>> sell it at a profit. Nothing wrong with trying. It was a good
>>> experience but plenty of people have bad ones, too.

>> See my post about 'Gumtree'!

> I just saw that. I knew you had to have something similar.
> Yeah, you really have to assume someone's going to try to pull
> a fast one, somehow. If it smells fishy, forget it. I remember
> Jill selling her car, I had such an easy time, I felt badly
> that this creep from Minnesota (so he said) was bothering her.
>
> Good luck with your transaction.

Thanks) It won't be the end of the world if I don't sell it but I have
decided I really don't like it It will still be useful
--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/13/2014 8:10 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "dsi1" > wrote in message

>>> lol sounds like you ;-)
>>>

>> If you're unfamiliar with Craigslist, it's a website in the states
>> where buyers and sellers can find and meet scammers and cheats, and
>> vice-versa. Evidently, they're expanding to fill a need in the bogus
>> investigative internet-news article genre.

> Sounds very ... er ... attractive !!! Just a question if I may? Given
> what you say, why is anyone using it?

I use it for buying cars. It may work fine for other buyers and sellers.
I don't really know. Other people that have used Craigslist will have to
fill in that info. It certainly is a popular service and is a cheap
alternative to newspaper classifieds - remember them? :-)

OTOH, you really have to be on your toes when buying a car on
Craigslist. Some people have made buying and selling cars on Craigslist
their business. They are not from here and my guess is their origins are
from Eastern Europe. Their spiel it pretty much all the same, they'll
meet you at a public location and they're selling it for their uncle or
auntie. The reality is that they're not selling it for their relatives
and they don't want you to know who they are or where they live. Would
you buy a car from a guy like that? Hell yes! :-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 13 Jul 2014 08:48:54 -1000, dsi1
> wrote:

> On 7/13/2014 8:03 AM, sf wrote:
> > On Sun, 13 Jul 2014 07:44:43 -1000, dsi1
> > > wrote:
> >
> >> If you're unfamiliar with Craigslist, it's a website in the states where
> >> buyers and sellers can find and meet scammers and cheats, and
> >> vice-versa. Evidently, they're expanding to fill a need in the bogus
> >> investigative internet-news article genre.

> > Yesterday, my son picked up a used play structure for free that easily
> > cost $1000 when new (which was probably 10 years ago. He and my son
> > in law took it apart and hauled it away for them. Everybody is happy.
> >

> I've used Craigslist for buying cars. They just haven't infiltrated the
> used play structure listings yet.
>
> My experience has been not a good one. However, it's the only game in
> town. My guess is that scammers feel the same way. If I'm selling a car,
> I'll get a call early on from some foreign guy saying that he wants the
> car and not to sell it. Sometimes they call back and sometimes not.
>
> Your first warning sign should be that they won't let you see the car at
> their home address. Obviously, their business is selling 3rd party cars.
> If they can get a good price for your car, they'll sell it without
> transferring ownership. You buy a car from these guys, and you have no
> idea who sold it to you. This may or may not be important to you. OTOH,
> you can get some pretty good deals from them. The bad part is that
> everything they tell you is a complete fabrication.

My son has had very good experiences buying used cars via Craig's
List, but he can think like a criminal so he doesn't get suckered into
that.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 13 Jul 2014 14:56:08 -0400, Nancy Young
> wrote:

> Of course some people tried to pay me half price so they could
> sell it at a profit. Nothing wrong with trying. It was a good
> experience but plenty of people have bad ones, too.

Never let them take the car for a test drive unaccompanied.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On 7/13/2014 8:10 AM, Ophelia wrote:

>>> If you're unfamiliar with Craigslist, it's a website in the states
>>> where buyers and sellers can find and meet scammers and cheats, and
>>> vice-versa. Evidently, they're expanding to fill a need in the bogus
>>> investigative internet-news article genre.

>> Sounds very ... er ... attractive !!! Just a question if I may? Given
>> what you say, why is anyone using it?
>>

> I use it for buying cars. It may work fine for other buyers and sellers. I
> don't really know. Other people that have used Craigslist will have to
> fill in that info. It certainly is a popular service and is a cheap
> alternative to newspaper classifieds - remember them? :-)
>
> OTOH, you really have to be on your toes when buying a car on Craigslist.
> Some people have made buying and selling cars on Craigslist their
> business. They are not from here and my guess is their origins are from
> Eastern Europe. Their spiel it pretty much all the same, they'll meet you
> at a public location and they're selling it for their uncle or auntie. The
> reality is that they're not selling it for their relatives and they don't
> want you to know who they are or where they live. Would you buy a car from
> a guy like that? Hell yes! :-)

lol well I've never bought a car like that I am trying to sell one
though

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/13/2014 9:18 AM, sf wrote:
> On Sun, 13 Jul 2014 08:48:54 -1000, dsi1
> > wrote:
>
>> On 7/13/2014 8:03 AM, sf wrote:
>>> On Sun, 13 Jul 2014 07:44:43 -1000, dsi1

>>> Yesterday, my son picked up a used play structure for free that easily
>>> cost $1000 when new (which was probably 10 years ago. He and my son
>>> in law took it apart and hauled it away for them. Everybody is happy.
>>>

>> I've used Craigslist for buying cars. They just haven't infiltrated the
>> used play structure listings yet.
>>
>> My experience has been not a good one. However, it's the only game in
>> town. My guess is that scammers feel the same way. If I'm selling a car,
>> I'll get a call early on from some foreign guy saying that he wants the
>> car and not to sell it. Sometimes they call back and sometimes not.
>>
>> Your first warning sign should be that they won't let you see the car at
>> their home address. Obviously, their business is selling 3rd party cars.
>> If they can get a good price for your car, they'll sell it without
>> transferring ownership. You buy a car from these guys, and you have no
>> idea who sold it to you. This may or may not be important to you. OTOH,
>> you can get some pretty good deals from them. The bad part is that
>> everything they tell you is a complete fabrication.

> My son has had very good experiences buying used cars via Craig's
> List, but he can think like a criminal so he doesn't get suckered into
> that.

I can think like a criminal too. Not your criminal mastermind or
anything - just your average middle management criminal type.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 13 Jul 2014 09:18:17 -1000, dsi1
> wrote:

> On 7/13/2014 8:10 AM, Ophelia wrote:
> >

> > Sounds very ... er ... attractive !!! Just a question if I may? Given
> > what you say, why is anyone using it?
> >

> I use it for buying cars. It may work fine for other buyers and sellers.
> I don't really know. Other people that have used Craigslist will have to
> fill in that info. It certainly is a popular service and is a cheap
> alternative to newspaper classifieds - remember them? :-)

I'm pretty sure hubby sold the last car we didn't turn back to the
dealer via Craig's List with plenty of people interested and no
problems getting the price he wanted (our cars are always in great
shape and look brand new). I only remember it because he had trouble
attaching an image to the ad and our son had to help him do it.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 13 Jul 2014 14:56:08 -0400, Nancy Young
> > wrote:
>
>> Of course some people tried to pay me half price so they could
>> sell it at a profit. Nothing wrong with trying. It was a good
>> experience but plenty of people have bad ones, too.

> Never let them take the car for a test drive unaccompanied.

lol better not eh?

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 13 Jul 2014 09:29:41 -1000, dsi1
> wrote:

> On 7/13/2014 9:18 AM, sf wrote:
> >
> > My son has had very good experiences buying used cars via Craig's
> > List, but he can think like a criminal so he doesn't get suckered into
> > that.
> >

> I can think like a criminal too. Not your criminal mastermind or
> anything - just your average middle management criminal type.

My son set up the fraud detection unit for Schawb bank. He was put in
charge of it after detecting fraud being perpetrated on multi-million
dollar accounts.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 13 Jul 2014 09:29:41 -1000, dsi1
> > wrote:
>
>> On 7/13/2014 9:18 AM, sf wrote:
>> >
>> > My son has had very good experiences buying used cars via Craig's
>> > List, but he can think like a criminal so he doesn't get suckered into
>> > that.
>> >

>> I can think like a criminal too. Not your criminal mastermind or
>> anything - just your average middle management criminal type.

> My son set up the fraud detection unit for Schawb bank. He was put in
> charge of it after detecting fraud being perpetrated on multi-million
> dollar accounts.

I hope he got paid very well for it?

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/13/2014 9:29 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "dsi1" > wrote in message

>>> Sounds very ... er ... attractive !!! Just a question if I may? Given
>>> what you say, why is anyone using it?
>>>

>> I use it for buying cars. It may work fine for other buyers and
>> sellers. I don't really know. Other people that have used Craigslist
>> will have to fill in that info. It certainly is a popular service and
>> is a cheap alternative to newspaper classifieds - remember them? :-)
>>
>> OTOH, you really have to be on your toes when buying a car on
>> Craigslist. Some people have made buying and selling cars on
>> Craigslist their business. They are not from here and my guess is
>> their origins are from Eastern Europe. Their spiel it pretty much all
>> the same, they'll meet you at a public location and they're selling it
>> for their uncle or auntie. The reality is that they're not selling it
>> for their relatives and they don't want you to know who they are or
>> where they live. Would you buy a car from a guy like that? Hell yes! :-)

> lol well I've never bought a car like that I am trying to sell one
> though

Sounds like a job for Gumtree - just watch out for killers. :-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/13/2014 9:30 AM, sf wrote:
> On Sun, 13 Jul 2014 09:18:17 -1000, dsi1
> > wrote:
>
>> On 7/13/2014 8:10 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>>>

>>> Sounds very ... er ... attractive !!! Just a question if I may? Given
>>> what you say, why is anyone using it?
>>>

>> I use it for buying cars. It may work fine for other buyers and sellers.
>> I don't really know. Other people that have used Craigslist will have to
>> fill in that info. It certainly is a popular service and is a cheap
>> alternative to newspaper classifieds - remember them? :-)

> I'm pretty sure hubby sold the last car we didn't turn back to the
> dealer via Craig's List with plenty of people interested and no
> problems getting the price he wanted (our cars are always in great
> shape and look brand new). I only remember it because he had trouble
> attaching an image to the ad and our son had to help him do it.

I like buying cars from people like you and guy couples. You guys really
know how to take care of cars! :-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 13 Jul 2014 20:37:57 +0100, "Ophelia"
> wrote:
>

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Sun, 13 Jul 2014 09:29:41 -1000, dsi1
> > > wrote:

> >> I can think like a criminal too. Not your criminal mastermind or
> >> anything - just your average middle management criminal type.

> > My son set up the fraud detection unit for Schawb bank. He was put in
> > charge of it after detecting fraud being perpetrated on multi-million
> > dollar accounts.

> I hope he got paid very well for it?

As a resident of San Francisco, it should have been more but he was
paid well enough to stay there 12 years before he moved on.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/13/2014 9:33 AM, sf wrote:
> On Sun, 13 Jul 2014 09:29:41 -1000, dsi1
> > wrote:
>
>> On 7/13/2014 9:18 AM, sf wrote:
>>>
>>> My son has had very good experiences buying used cars via Craig's
>>> List, but he can think like a criminal so he doesn't get suckered into
>>> that.
>>>

>> I can think like a criminal too. Not your criminal mastermind or
>> anything - just your average middle management criminal type.

> My son set up the fraud detection unit for Schawb bank. He was put in
> charge of it after detecting fraud being perpetrated on multi-million
> dollar accounts.

Ah, your son thinks like a criminal mastermind. At least he has
something fall back on in case the banking industry goes south. :-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 13 Jul 2014 09:54:03 -1000, dsi1
> wrote:

> On 7/13/2014 9:33 AM, sf wrote:
> > On Sun, 13 Jul 2014 09:29:41 -1000, dsi1
> > > wrote:

> >> I can think like a criminal too. Not your criminal mastermind or
> >> anything - just your average middle management criminal type.

> > My son set up the fraud detection unit for Schawb bank. He was put in
> > charge of it after detecting fraud being perpetrated on multi-million
> > dollar accounts.
> >

> Ah, your son thinks like a criminal mastermind. At least he has
> something fall back on in case the banking industry goes south. :-)

LOL! I'd rather he stayed on the right side of the law.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 13 Jul 2014 09:45:25 -1000, dsi1
> wrote:

> I like buying cars from people like you and guy couples. You guys really
> know how to take care of cars! :-)

We're happy to sell it to you too! We get above Blue Book and you get
a deal too. Hubby likes to price them half way between Blue Book and
what a used car dealer would ask, so there's no shortage of legitimate
interested parties.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/13/2014 3:10 PM, Nancy Young wrote:
> On 7/13/2014 3:01 PM, Ophelia wrote:
>>
>>> Of course some people tried to pay me half price so they could
>>> sell it at a profit. Nothing wrong with trying. It was a good
>>> experience but plenty of people have bad ones, too.

>> See my post about 'Gumtree'!

> I just saw that. I knew you had to have something similar.
> Yeah, you really have to assume someone's going to try to pull
> a fast one, somehow. If it smells fishy, forget it. I remember
> Jill selling her car, I had such an easy time, I felt badly
> that this creep from Minnesota (so he said) was bothering her.

I remember telling you about it. It creeped me out because it didn't
make any sense. Why would anyone spend a bunch of money to buy a fairly
common used car? It's not as if my parents had a stash of long-lost
cocaine or proceeds from a bank robbery hidden under the spare tire. (laugh)

> Good luck with your transaction.
>
> nancy

Yes, I wish you good luck on the transaction, too, Ophelia. Try to
avoid the crazy's.

Jill