Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.fast-food

Default Article - A Burger Chain You've Probably Never Heard Of Was JustNamed Best In America

On 7/10/2014 11:20 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> I've never eaten at Five Guys and probably never will. I know that
> their fries were voted the best, but people I know who tried them said
> that they weren't good and the burgers were even worse. If I want a bad
> burger, I'll go to McD's where at least the food is cheap.

That has not been my experience at all. I thought both fries and
burgers were very good. Yes, it cost more than McD but you do get
better quality. Why not splurge and find out for yourself. I often
disagree with the opinions of others. I trust my opinion more than theirs.

Just like the4 thread here about watermelon. A few people said they
like the seedless better, but I've yet to find one close to a good
seeded long melon! They are entitled to their opinion no matter how
much it differs from mine.
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.fast-food

On 7/11/2014 11:57 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> That has not been my experience at all. I thought both fries and
> burgers were very good. Yes, it cost more than McD but you do get
> better quality. Why not splurge and find out for yourself. I often
> disagree with the opinions of others. I trust my opinion more than theirs.

Really. You'd never eat anywhere if you lived and died by everyone
else's opinion, there are always people who have a negative opinion
about anything you mention.

I had a Five Guy's burger today, on the way to Costco. It was
really good, and we actually finished our fries, they were so
tasty. Doesn't bother me if someone else doesn't like them, we
did.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, July 11, 2014 10:57:57 AM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 7/10/2014 11:20 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>

> > I've never eaten at Five Guys and probably never will. I know that

> > their fries were voted the best, but people I know who tried them said

> > that they weren't good and the burgers were even worse.

> > If I want a bad burger, I'll go to McD's where at least the food is cheap.

But most of the folks that you associate with are unusually defective.

> That has not been my experience at all. I thought both fries and
>
> burgers were very good. Yes, it cost more than McD but you do get
>
> better quality. Why not splurge and find out for yourself. I often
>
> disagree with the opinions of others. I trust my opinion more than theirs.

Julie should stick with her own kind.

> Just like the4 thread here about watermelon. A few people said they
>
> like the seedless better, but I've yet to find one close to a good
>
> seeded long melon! They are entitled to their opinion no matter how
>
> much it differs from mine.

I have had decent seedless watermelons, but never a great one. A seedless
one would have to be very cheap for me to consider buying it. The area of
the melon near the seeds is always the best part.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.fast-food

On 7/11/2014 11:57 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> That has not been my experience at all. I thought both fries and
> burgers were very good. Yes, it cost more than McD but you do get
> better quality. Why not splurge and find out for yourself.

Until last year, I lived about a half-mile from the original Five Guys
(with three others nearby), and I've been campaigning against the hype
for many years.

Their burgers are quarter-pound only, and cooked only well-done. To me,
that disqualifies them from edibility right there. They are also put on
the buns while still dripping tons of oil.

Their fries are very good -- until they are put in the bag, where within
thirty seconds they steam into soggy, greasy crappiness. And they bag
every order, whether you're eating it there or taking it out.

IMO, Burger King's overdone but charred burgers come closest to
edibility for fast-food burgers, but none of them are even remotely in a
league with the excellent burgers from Fuddrucker's, similar outlets
that cook to order, and good bar burgers.

(And yeah, I've had In-n-Out. They're garbage, distinguished only by the
range of "secret" toppings.)

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 12 Jul 2014 10:34:09 -0400, pltrgyst > wrote:

> On 7/11/2014 11:57 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> >
> > That has not been my experience at all. I thought both fries and
> > burgers were very good. Yes, it cost more than McD but you do get
> > better quality. Why not splurge and find out for yourself.

> Until last year, I lived about a half-mile from the original Five Guys
> (with three others nearby), and I've been campaigning against the hype
> for many years.
>
> Their burgers are quarter-pound only, and cooked only well-done. To me,
> that disqualifies them from edibility right there. They are also put on
> the buns while still dripping tons of oil.
>
> Their fries are very good -- until they are put in the bag, where within
> thirty seconds they steam into soggy, greasy crappiness. And they bag
> every order, whether you're eating it there or taking it out.
>
> IMO, Burger King's overdone but charred burgers come closest to
> edibility for fast-food burgers, but none of them are even remotely in a
> league with the excellent burgers from Fuddrucker's, similar outlets
> that cook to order, and good bar burgers.
>
> (And yeah, I've had In-n-Out. They're garbage, distinguished only by the
> range of "secret" toppings.)

In what universe is Fudruckers on the same playing field as Burger
King?

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/12/14, 1:40 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Jul 2014 10:34:09 -0400, pltrgyst wrote:
>
>> Until last year, I lived about a half-mile from the original Five Guys
>> (with three others nearby), and I've been campaigning against the hype
>> for many years.
>>
>> Their burgers are quarter-pound only, and cooked only well-done.

> Five Guys has two size burgers (single and double).

Not around here -- a double is just two patties, stacked.

> What fast food places let you specify
> doneness other than Fuddruckers at a much higher price point?

Got me. Around DC, we have a couple of such chains, probably not
national. One is called BGR; their burgers are clearly better than
Fuddrucker's. Their lunch package is a half-pound burger with fries and
refillable drink, for $8.99.

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/12/14, 10:46 PM, Sqwertz wrote:

>>> Five Guys has two size burgers (single and double).

>> Not around here -- a double is just two patties, stacked.

> ??? That's two size burgers. Only one of which may be 1/4lb. In
> reality, they have 5 size burgers (by multiplying the number of
> patties).

Kindly don't be obtuse. Each quarter-pound patty is cooked individually,
so whether or not you stack them up is totally irrelevant to how they're
cooked.

-- Larry