Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Indian or Bangladeshi food: do you have a favorite dish?

I'm going to try one of these places - is there a typical, fave dish?Thanks.

Nothing TOO hot n spicy, please. "No stars" as I say in a Thai joint. ( I should learn to carry a half oz. of Mylanta.)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 12 Jun 2014 16:47:22 -0700, Kalmia wrote:

> I'm going to try one of these places - is there a typical, fave
> dish?Thanks.
>
> Nothing TOO hot n spicy, please. "No stars" as I say in a Thai joint. (
> I should learn to carry a half oz. of Mylanta.)

Indian food - I love palak paneer, chana masala, aloo roti, aloo gobi,
naan and papadums with tastes of every chutney. I like to go to the
lunch buffet at an Indian place. It's fun to try a little bit of
everything, even if you don't know just what it is.

Tara
Posted to rec.food.cooking

.... and potato dosa
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/12/14, 7:47 PM, Kalmia wrote:
> I'm going to try one of these places - is there a typical, fave dish?Thanks.
>
> Nothing TOO hot n spicy, please. "No stars" as I say in a Thai joint. ( I should learn to carry a half oz. of Mylanta.)

If you want a dish that's not highly spiced, you might try butter
chicken. It's a hugely popular dish here in FL among retirees who'd
probably expire if they tasted an authentic vindaloo. 8

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kalmia" > wrote in message
> I'm going to try one of these places - is there a typical, fave
> dish?Thanks.
>
> Nothing TOO hot n spicy, please. "No stars" as I say in a Thai joint. ( I
> should learn to carry a half oz. of Mylanta.)

The only real Indian foods I have tried and liked were Papadums and those
candy coated fennel seeds. Sometimes Papadums can be quite spicy and for
some reason, the ones we've tried made us burp so badly that for that reason
alone, we didn't want to eat them again. They did taste good though. I
think most Indian places have plain white rice. I would likely just have
that should I have to dine at such a place. Some have hummus. I would have
that too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, June 13, 2014 9:47:22 AM UTC+10, Kalmia wrote:
> I'm going to try one of these places - is there a typical, fave dish?Thanks.

Some of the Bangladeshi classics are dal, fish curries, vegetable curries, sweet desserts. (Also classics in much of India and nearby.)

Standard Indian restaurant offerings are pretty uniform over here. Basically choose your meat and choose your sauce versions of the most popular curries. Resaurants that aren't so generic (e.g., Nepali, Tibetan (which have lots of Nepali and Indian dishes around here; more than Tibetan), vegetarian restaurants, etc.) can be more interesting. Dumplings and fritters are often worthwhile.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/12/14, 9:31 PM, pltrgyst wrote:

> If you want a dish that's not highly spiced, you might try butter
> chicken. It's a hugely popular dish here in FL among retirees who'd
> probably expire if they tasted an authentic vindaloo. 8

Oh, and vegetable or meat-filled samosas for starters, They're pretty
bland, too.

And if you get something that's a little too spicy, you can cut the heat
of many dishes with the yogurt/mint sauce.

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 14 Jun 2014 10:53:27 -0400, pltrgyst > wrote:

> On 6/12/14, 9:31 PM, pltrgyst wrote:
>
> > If you want a dish that's not highly spiced, you might try butter
> > chicken. It's a hugely popular dish here in FL among retirees who'd
> > probably expire if they tasted an authentic vindaloo. 8

> Oh, and vegetable or meat-filled samosas for starters, They're pretty
> bland, too.
>
> And if you get something that's a little too spicy, you can cut the heat
> of many dishes with the yogurt/mint sauce.

Don't most Indian restaurants have little chili pepper symbols next to
a dish to say how hot they are? I haven't found one yet that's too
hot, but I'm usually with wimps so I haven't tried anything with real
heat and am not crazy enough about food from that part of the world to
eat at those restaurants very often. I can say that aloo is potato,
gobi is cauliflower, saag is spinach, dal is lentil but that's the
extent of my "restaurant Indian" language. If I was in Kalmia's
place, I'd google the menu online and then google recipes for what
they have listed. That would be the easiest way to figure out what to
order. Go in with the list in hand and place your order. An
alternative would be to lay your cards on the table and ask the server
for suggestions, but maybe that's too easy.

Samosas are always good to start, I like the potato filled ones. I
would order Tandoori anything if I saw it on the menu. I've never
eaten Butter Chicken at a restaurant, but I do buy the simmer sauce
from World Market and it's delicious. DD says it's even better at a
restaurant. Another one I'd try is Rogan Josh (lamb) and I'd be sure
to order something made with eggplant (just because I like eggplant).

Here are some names of some

vegetarian dishes and what they are in English
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Indian_dishes#East

regional dishes with links to recipes
http://www.indianfoodforever.com/regional-cooking.html

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 14 Jun 2014 02:45:43 -0400, Orlando Enrique Fiol wrote:

> You might really like dam aaloo, whole fried red potatoes in a creamy
> curry, a Kashmiri specialty

I think I would.

Tara