General Cooking (rec.food.cooking) For general food and cooking discussion. Foods of all kinds, food procurement, cooking methods and techniques, eating, etc.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 29-03-2005, 01:52 PM
ozgal
 
Posts: n/a
Default Can anyone help with spicy Indian dish using potatoes and chickpeas

Hi there,

Wondering if anyone knows of a spicy Indian dish that contains chickpeas,
cubes of potato and spices. I can't remember the name but think it is a
popular Indian dish.

Many thanks,

ozgal



  #2 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 29-03-2005, 05:34 PM
Trisha Toyota
 
Posts: n/a
Default

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 22:52:28 +1000, "ozgal" wrote:

Hi there,

Wondering if anyone knows of a spicy Indian dish that contains chickpeas,
cubes of potato and spices. I can't remember the name but think it is a
popular Indian dish.

Many thanks,

ozgal


Aloo Chana Chaat or Aloo Chana Masala

  #3 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 29-03-2005, 10:39 PM
Victor Sack
 
Posts: n/a
Default

ozgal wrote:

Wondering if anyone knows of a spicy Indian dish that contains chickpeas,
cubes of potato and spices. I can't remember the name but think it is a
popular Indian dish.


Aloo chana, or if a particularly Punjabi flavour is desired, aloo chole.
The Indian rfc contigent has sadly departed, but maybe blacksalt will
see your post and provide more info. Meanwhile, here is what appears to
be a nice recipe from http://recipes.wuzzle.org/index.php/61/1458.

Victor

Aloo Chole (Punjab, India) by bean banquet

Ingredients
2 Cans Chickpeas
1/3 Cup Peanut Oil
2 Dried Ancho Chilies -- crushed
2 Bay Leaf
1 1/2 Teaspoons Cumin Seed
1 Teaspoon Black Mustard Seed
1 Pinch Asafetida
1 Large Onion -- chopped
1 1/2 Pounds Unpeeled Potatoes -- cut in 1-inch pieces
2 Teaspoons Garam Masala
1 1/2 Teaspoons Turmeric
2 Teaspoons Ground Coriander
1 Teaspoon Ground Cumin
Salt And Pepper -- to taste
1/4 Teaspoon Cayenne
1 Tablespoon Sugar
2 Cloves Garlic -- chopped
1 Tablespoon Tamarind Paste
3 Tablespoons Tomato Puree

Directions
saute in oil chiles peppers, bay leaves, cumin seed, black mustard seed
and asafetida. when seeds begin to pop, add onion and potatoes and
continue to saute. when onion and potatoes are lightly browned add
chickpea broth. cover and cook until vegetables are tender. add
remaining ingredients bring to boil reduce heat and simmer for 10
minutes to blend flavors.

Serves 6
  #4 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 29-03-2005, 11:23 PM
ozgal
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Hi,

Thanks Trish. I've just remembered the dish. It's called Bombay Potatoes
or Alu-Chole. There is a company in Australia called Tasty Bite that
actually sell this pre-packaged. I have also found a recipe, see thread
below.

Thanks for your help.

ozgal

"Trisha Toyota" wrote in message
...
On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 22:52:28 +1000, "ozgal" wrote:

Hi there,

Wondering if anyone knows of a spicy Indian dish that contains chickpeas,
cubes of potato and spices. I can't remember the name but think it is a
popular Indian dish.

Many thanks,

ozgal


Aloo Chana Chaat or Aloo Chana Masala



  #5 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 29-03-2005, 11:27 PM
ozgal
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Hi Victor,

Thanks so much. You have indeed found the dish I was after. The Punjab
version is closest (I have also found a recipe for alu-chole).

Here it is for anyone interested:

Bombay potatoes (Alu chole)


Alu-chole With Rice

3 tablespoons vegetable oil
4 small cinnamon sticks
4 bay leaves
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 large onion -- finely chopped
1 teaspoon garlic -- crushed
1 15 ounce ca chopped tomatoes
3 tablespoons sharwood's hot curry paste
2 15 oz cans chick peas -- drained
4 ounces potato -- diced
1/4 pint water
2 tablespoons lemon luice
4 tablespoons coriander leaves -- chopped
salt to taste

1. Heat the oil and fry the cinnamon, bay leaves and cumin seeds for 1
minute.

2. Add onion and garlic, fry until golden brown.

3. Add chopped tomatoes, curry paste and salt. Fry for a further 2-3 minutes

4. Stir in chick peas, potatoes and water. Bring to the boil,cover and
simmer for 15 minutes or until potatoes are cooked. Stir in the coriander
and lemon juice. Garnish and serve with rice. Follow with a fruit crumble.





"Victor Sack" wrote in message
.. .
ozgal wrote:

Wondering if anyone knows of a spicy Indian dish that contains chickpeas,
cubes of potato and spices. I can't remember the name but think it is a
popular Indian dish.


Aloo chana, or if a particularly Punjabi flavour is desired, aloo chole.
The Indian rfc contigent has sadly departed, but maybe blacksalt will
see your post and provide more info. Meanwhile, here is what appears to
be a nice recipe from http://recipes.wuzzle.org/index.php/61/1458.

Victor

Aloo Chole (Punjab, India) by bean banquet

Ingredients
2 Cans Chickpeas
1/3 Cup Peanut Oil
2 Dried Ancho Chilies -- crushed
2 Bay Leaf
1 1/2 Teaspoons Cumin Seed
1 Teaspoon Black Mustard Seed
1 Pinch Asafetida
1 Large Onion -- chopped
1 1/2 Pounds Unpeeled Potatoes -- cut in 1-inch pieces
2 Teaspoons Garam Masala
1 1/2 Teaspoons Turmeric
2 Teaspoons Ground Coriander
1 Teaspoon Ground Cumin
Salt And Pepper -- to taste
1/4 Teaspoon Cayenne
1 Tablespoon Sugar
2 Cloves Garlic -- chopped
1 Tablespoon Tamarind Paste
3 Tablespoons Tomato Puree

Directions
saute in oil chiles peppers, bay leaves, cumin seed, black mustard seed
and asafetida. when seeds begin to pop, add onion and potatoes and
continue to saute. when onion and potatoes are lightly browned add
chickpea broth. cover and cook until vegetables are tender. add
remaining ingredients bring to boil reduce heat and simmer for 10
minutes to blend flavors.

Serves 6





  #7 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 30-03-2005, 02:17 AM
kalanamak
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Victor Sack wrote:

Aloo chana, or if a particularly Punjabi flavour is desired, aloo chole.
The Indian rfc contigent has sadly departed, but maybe blacksalt will
see your post and provide more info.


Most Bombay Potatoes that are boxed have alu and chole in them, but
nearly every recipe I find on google, and every one in my cookbooks,
says Bombay Potatoes are chickpea-less. It is not a dish my IL's made,
nor one I've ever had a restaurant. I'm wondering if it is
not-so-panjabi or even in a UK-ism. The boxed stuff I've tried was salty
and awful.
Rather than pick the dish you love and get an undetailed recipe (and
Indian cooking is in the details) off the net and hate it, try to learn
to make some potato and some chickpea recipes from a good cookbook
writer, and then use your talents to make a good dish.
My ex-IL's could make any vegetable incredibly delicious, and without
all the gobs of salt and usli ghee the restaurants use.
HTH
blacksalt
  #8 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 30-03-2005, 06:24 AM
Mad Dan
 
Posts: n/a
Default


ozgal wrote:
Hi Victor,

Thanks so much. You have indeed found the dish I was after. The

Punjab
version is closest (I have also found a recipe for alu-chole).

Here it is for anyone interested:

Bombay potatoes (Alu chole)


Alu-chole With Rice

3 tablespoons vegetable oil
4 small cinnamon sticks
4 bay leaves
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 large onion -- finely chopped
1 teaspoon garlic -- crushed
1 15 ounce ca chopped tomatoes
3 tablespoons sharwood's hot curry paste
2 15 oz cans chick peas -- drained
4 ounces potato -- diced
1/4 pint water
2 tablespoons lemon luice
4 tablespoons coriander leaves -- chopped
salt to taste

1. Heat the oil and fry the cinnamon, bay leaves and cumin seeds for

1
minute.

2. Add onion and garlic, fry until golden brown.

3. Add chopped tomatoes, curry paste and salt. Fry for a further 2-3

minutes

4. Stir in chick peas, potatoes and water. Bring to the boil,cover

and
simmer for 15 minutes or until potatoes are cooked. Stir in the

coriander
and lemon juice. Garnish and serve with rice. Follow with a fruit

crumble.




This looks great. Does anyone have any idea how much it yields?

(Or, indeed, if it actually *is* great for that matter!)

  #10 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 30-03-2005, 10:49 PM
Victor Sack
 
Posts: n/a
Default

kalanamak wrote:

Victor Sack wrote:

Aloo chana, or if a particularly Punjabi flavour is desired, aloo chole.
The Indian rfc contigent has sadly departed, but maybe blacksalt will
see your post and provide more info.


Most Bombay Potatoes that are boxed have alu and chole in them, but
nearly every recipe I find on google, and every one in my cookbooks,
says Bombay Potatoes are chickpea-less. It is not a dish my IL's made,
nor one I've ever had a restaurant. I'm wondering if it is
not-so-panjabi or even in a UK-ism. The boxed stuff I've tried was salty
and awful.


I have never even heard of Bombay Potatoes until this thread, but aloo
chole is offered in nearly every Indian restaurant here - and people in
those restaurants occasionally speak hardly any English. So, aloo
chole, as a dish at least, doesn't seem to be a British invention. It
tastes very good, usually. As to Bombay Potatoes, whatever the real
recipe is, its very name probably precludes it from being of Punjabi
origin, but then you have surely figured out as much.

Victor


  #12 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 31-03-2005, 10:49 PM
Victor Sack
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

Did something happen while I was gone? I remember when Ronnie first came
to the newsgroup. He was a regular poster when I left. And he did respond
when I posted to him a little while ago. He's not just dropping recipes
and leaving. When he first came here, he didn't have a website. He just
offered to share recipes. The site grew from there. ::sigh::


Just look up his postings in the past months on groups.google. In one
of them, he actually stated quite explicitly that he is only looking for
Web site hits and made it perfectly clear that he sees rfc as a tool to
achieve that end. See
http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?&selm=d247d8ba.0412051207.7b1e9453%40postin g.google.com.

Victor
Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Why Indian & Pakistani foods are so spicy? jimmyleo Asian Cooking 8 13-07-2011 02:48 PM
REQ: Spicy Indian Pudding Wayne Boatwright[_2_] General Cooking 2 11-10-2007 05:35 PM
Portugal-Boiled Cod with Potatoes or Chickpeas AJ Recipes (moderated) 0 13-01-2007 01:58 AM
Indian Spiced Kale and Chickpeas International Recipes OnLine Recipes (moderated) 0 20-12-2006 02:46 AM
Spicy Southern Indian Chicken Terry Mitchell Recipes (moderated) 0 18-12-2004 04:50 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:03 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2022 FoodBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Food and drink"

 

Copyright © 2017