Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Microwaving Bacon

I bought some of that extra thick slab bacon the other day. I through
it in a black iron skillet with my electric stove on high and medium.
I must have been rushing it because before I realized it, I had burnt
it pretty bad. I wonder if I would have gotten a better result
microwaving extra thick bacon?

William
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 11 Jun 2014 19:02:16 -0400, William > wrote:

> I bought some of that extra thick slab bacon the other day. I through
> it in a black iron skillet with my electric stove on high and medium.
> I must have been rushing it because before I realized it, I had burnt
> it pretty bad. I wonder if I would have gotten a better result
> microwaving extra thick bacon?

Your heat was too high. Lower the heat next time. Better yet bake it
in the oven on a low heat for an extended period of time. Treat it
like you would a pork butt - low and slow.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/11/2014 1:02 PM, William wrote:
> I bought some of that extra thick slab bacon the other day. I through
> it in a black iron skillet with my electric stove on high and medium.
> I must have been rushing it because before I realized it, I had burnt
> it pretty bad. I wonder if I would have gotten a better result
> microwaving extra thick bacon?
>
> William

My suggestion is that you dredge the bacon in flour and fry it in a pan
with some oil over medium heat. Fry till light brown and don't burn it.
Bacon done this way will cook faster and be crispy without being burnt
or brittle. Good luck.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/11/2014 6:02 PM, William wrote:
> I bought some of that extra thick slab bacon the other day. I through
> it in a black iron skillet with my electric stove on high and medium.
> I must have been rushing it because before I realized it, I had burnt
> it pretty bad. I wonder if I would have gotten a better result
> microwaving extra thick bacon?

If you have a grill, try it on there. Nummy.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/12/2014 7:26 AM, Moe DeLoughan wrote:
> On 6/11/2014 6:02 PM, William wrote:
>> I bought some of that extra thick slab bacon the other day. I through
>> it in a black iron skillet with my electric stove on high and medium.
>> I must have been rushing it because before I realized it, I had burnt
>> it pretty bad. I wonder if I would have gotten a better result
>> microwaving extra thick bacon?

> If you have a grill, try it on there. Nummy.

Or just coook the bacon on the burner at a lower temp.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 12 Jun 2014 07:51:04 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

> On 6/12/2014 7:26 AM, Moe DeLoughan wrote:
> > On 6/11/2014 6:02 PM, William wrote:
> >> I bought some of that extra thick slab bacon the other day. I through
> >> it in a black iron skillet with my electric stove on high and medium.
> >> I must have been rushing it because before I realized it, I had burnt
> >> it pretty bad. I wonder if I would have gotten a better result
> >> microwaving extra thick bacon?

> > If you have a grill, try it on there. Nummy.
> >

> Or just coook the bacon on the burner at a lower temp.

Too easy.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 11 Jun 2014 19:02:16 -0400, William > wrote:

>I bought some of that extra thick slab bacon the other day. I through
>it in a black iron skillet with my electric stove on high and medium.
>I must have been rushing it because before I realized it, I had burnt
>it pretty bad. I wonder if I would have gotten a better result
>microwaving extra thick bacon?
>
>William

Thanks for all the tips! I did experiment a bit with the microwave.
Three strips of very thick slab bacon, 1350watt microwave, four
minutes was still not completely done, some partially raw spots, some
spots about to burn. It was better than the carbon black bacon I fried
in the skillet. I microwaved it between two paper towels on a china
plate. Next time I may just cover with paper towel without paper towel
underneath.

William
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 11 Jun 2014 23:08:45 -1000, dsi1
> wrote:

>On 6/11/2014 1:02 PM, William wrote:
>> I bought some of that extra thick slab bacon the other day. I through
>> it in a black iron skillet with my electric stove on high and medium.
>> I must have been rushing it because before I realized it, I had burnt
>> it pretty bad. I wonder if I would have gotten a better result
>> microwaving extra thick bacon?
>>
>> William
>>

>My suggestion is that you dredge the bacon in flour and fry it in a pan
>with some oil over medium heat. Fry till light brown and don't burn it.
>Bacon done this way will cook faster and be crispy without being burnt
>or brittle. Good luck.

I hate bacon... but it makes fine bait for surf casting.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 12 Jun 2014 10:48:25 -0400, William > wrote:

>On Wed, 11 Jun 2014 19:02:16 -0400, William > wrote:
>
>>I bought some of that extra thick slab bacon the other day. I through
>>it in a black iron skillet with my electric stove on high and medium.
>>I must have been rushing it because before I realized it, I had burnt
>>it pretty bad. I wonder if I would have gotten a better result
>>microwaving extra thick bacon?
>>
>>William

>Thanks for all the tips! I did experiment a bit with the microwave.
>Three strips of very thick slab bacon, 1350watt microwave, four
>minutes was still not completely done, some partially raw spots, some
>spots about to burn. It was better than the carbon black bacon I fried
>in the skillet. I microwaved it between two paper towels on a china
>plate. Next time I may just cover with paper towel without paper towel
>underneath.
>
>William

Don't use the highest setting and it will cook evenly... I microwave
sliced SPAM on medium and it cooks perfectly... and my microwave
doesn't have a turntable.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/12/2014 6:29 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:

> I hate bacon... but it makes fine bait for surf casting.

Shocking, simply shocking!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:

> My suggestion is that you dredge the bacon in flour and fry it in a pan
> with some oil over medium heat. Fry till light brown and don't burn it.
> Bacon done this way will cook faster and be crispy without being burnt
> or brittle. Good luck.

I've never dredged bacon in flour but maybe it's better? Any other
opinions here? I do have a 12oz package here to cook this coming
weekend. Either my old way in frying pan or maybe try the oven way.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, June 12, 2014 12:46:57 PM UTC-4, Brooklyn1 wrote:

and my microwave doesn't have a turntable.

A mode mixer can do a better job than a turntable.

http://www.richardfisher.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/12/2014 7:48 AM, Gary wrote:

> I've never dredged bacon in flour but maybe it's better? Any other
> opinions here? I do have a 12oz package here to cook this coming
> weekend. Either my old way in frying pan or maybe try the oven way.
>
> G.

I used flour seasoned with salt and pepper. It's better in that you get
crispy bacon without burning it. It's a pretty smooth way to serve
bacon. The main problem with this method is that the fat doesn't get
rendered out and your digestive system had better be in tip-top shape.
If you're fair, fat, forty, and female, you probably should pass on
this. You have been warned.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 12 Jun 2014 12:46:57 -0400, Brooklyn1
> wrote:

>On Thu, 12 Jun 2014 10:48:25 -0400, William > wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 11 Jun 2014 19:02:16 -0400, William > wrote:
>>
>>>I bought some of that extra thick slab bacon the other day. I through
>>>it in a black iron skillet with my electric stove on high and medium.
>>>I must have been rushing it because before I realized it, I had burnt
>>>it pretty bad. I wonder if I would have gotten a better result
>>>microwaving extra thick bacon?
>>>
>>>William

>>Thanks for all the tips! I did experiment a bit with the microwave.
>>Three strips of very thick slab bacon, 1350watt microwave, four
>>minutes was still not completely done, some partially raw spots, some
>>spots about to burn. It was better than the carbon black bacon I fried
>>in the skillet. I microwaved it between two paper towels on a china
>>plate. Next time I may just cover with paper towel without paper towel
>>underneath.
>>
>>William

>Don't use the highest setting and it will cook evenly... I microwave
>sliced SPAM on medium and it cooks perfectly... and my microwave
>doesn't have a turntable.

Thanks Sheldon! I'll try 50% power for four minutes on my next "bacon
& eggs" breakfast.

William

Microwaving [email protected] General Cooking 6 30-07-2009 04:19 PM
REAL Canadian Bacon - Back Bacon - Peameal Bacon Online. [email protected] General Cooking 1 15-09-2007 04:41 PM
a bacon butty a bacon sarnie or The Ultimate Bacon Sandwich phillip.skinner General Cooking 38 14-08-2006 11:01 AM
Microwaving Terry General Cooking 2 04-05-2006 05:51 PM
Microwaving corn Peter Aitken General Cooking 13 26-07-2005 06:30 PM