Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Microwaving

I have several Stoffer's brand TV dinners that I enjoy. The main two
are pepper steak and lasagna. The instructions say to cut film to vent
then cook for some time then remove the film and cook some more.

What does leaving the film on do? It makes the cheese stick to it when
doing lasagna. I don't see the point.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed 03 May 2006 06:53:43p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Terry?

> I have several Stoffer's brand TV dinners that I enjoy. The main two
> are pepper steak and lasagna. The instructions say to cut film to vent
> then cook for some time then remove the film and cook some more.
>
> What does leaving the film on do? It makes the cheese stick to it when
> doing lasagna. I don't see the point.

It holds in moisture, concentrates the generated heat, and prevents sauces
from popping all over the oven.

--
Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
_____________________
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
28.19...
> On Wed 03 May 2006 06:53:43p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Terry?
>
>> I have several Stoffer's brand TV dinners that I enjoy. The main two
>> are pepper steak and lasagna. The instructions say to cut film to vent
>> then cook for some time then remove the film and cook some more.
>>
>> What does leaving the film on do? It makes the cheese stick to it when
>> doing lasagna. I don't see the point.

> It holds in moisture, concentrates the generated heat, and prevents sauces
> from popping all over the oven.

To keep stuff from splattering all over my oven, I don't actually even take
any microwave food out of the box. It's hotter than hell when it comes out,
so I just use welding gloves to open it up and prevent steam burns.

No one has ever been able to give me a good reason to take anything (except
pizza) out of the box.

Hasta,
Curt Nelson