Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Moldy bread again!

This time it was Essential Baking Company Panino Rolls. Central Market had
them on sale. I can't remember what day I bought them. I ate one. Didn't
notice a problem. Then went to make a sandwich just now. The top roll
looked fine on first glance. But the one underneath it had a visible little
round spot of green mold. I then looked at the one underneath it and it had
several smaller spots just starting. The one on my plate? Had what
appeared to be a piece of rosemary baked into the bread. I checked the
ingredients as they do make a bread with rosemary. But there was none in
this bread. So out it went!

I don't know if you've ever bitten into moldy bread before. I have. I will
never forget that taste. It is not a good one!

Odd thing is, the date on the package was 6/14. I don't know if they made a
mistake on the date or what. I haven't bought a lot of their bread before.
Just their single long loaves (they're small) or the par baked that Costco
sells. And the rosemary bread which I wasn't such a fan of. Too much
rosemary in it.

We have been having rather warm weather. And one day it felt muggy. I just
don't know what would cause this. I still had the San Fransico sourdough
rolls (only a few left), two loaves of the honey wheat bread (one almost
gone) and neither showed any mold. One honey wheat is dated 6/9 and the
other is dated 6/12. The sourdough is 6/10.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/10/14, 12:57 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

> We have been having rather warm weather. And one day it felt muggy. I
> just don't know what would cause this....

Ummm, warm weather and humidity.

We have that problem year-round in Florida -- no bread lasts as long as
we expected when we lived up north.

We rnow efrigerate all breads and baked good -- double-wrapped -- after
one day.

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 9 Jun 2014 21:57:58 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> We have been having rather warm weather. And one day it felt muggy. I just
> don't know what would cause this. I still had the San Fransico sourdough
> rolls (only a few left), two loaves of the honey wheat bread (one almost
> gone) and neither showed any mold. One honey wheat is dated 6/9 and the
> other is dated 6/12. The sourdough is 6/10.

1. Don't buy so much bread all at once.
2. Check the dates carefully and buy only what you can consume before
it goes stale.
3.
http://www.eatbydate.com/grains/bake...piration-date/

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/10/2014 10:22 AM, sf wrote:
> On Mon, 9 Jun 2014 21:57:58 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>> We have been having rather warm weather. And one day it felt muggy. I just
>> don't know what would cause this.

It's called "humidity". Mold thrives in warm, moist climates.

>> I still had the San Fransico sourdough
>> rolls (only a few left), two loaves of the honey wheat bread (one almost
>> gone) and neither showed any mold. One honey wheat is dated 6/9 and the
>> other is dated 6/12. The sourdough is 6/10.

> 1. Don't buy so much bread all at once.
> 2. Check the dates carefully and buy only what you can consume before
> it goes stale.
> 3.
> http://www.eatbydate.com/grains/bake...piration-date/

It seems Julie feels compelled to buy lots of stuff all at one time. If
they'd replaced the second freezer when it broke (even with a smaller
one) she wouldn't have this problem, but they chose not to. So... don't
buy bread as if you're a squirrel gathering nuts for the winter.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, June 10, 2014 7:07:06 AM UTC-7, pltrgyst wrote:
> On 6/10/14, 12:57 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>

> > We have been having rather warm weather. And one day it felt muggy. I
> > just don't know what would cause this....

> Ummm, warm weather and humidity.
>
> We have that problem year-round in Florida -- no bread lasts as long as
> we expected when we lived up north.
>
> We rnow efrigerate all breads and baked good -- double-wrapped -- after
> one day.

When we buy bread we freeze half the loaf right away. Mold especially
likes whole wheat bread, so we will freeze the loaf in two or three sections.

We can get several uses out of each ziploc bag.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Tuesday, June 10, 2014 7:07:06 AM UTC-7, pltrgyst wrote:
>> On 6/10/14, 12:57 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>

>> > We have been having rather warm weather. And one day it felt muggy. I
>> > just don't know what would cause this....

>> Ummm, warm weather and humidity.
>>
>> We have that problem year-round in Florida -- no bread lasts as long as
>> we expected when we lived up north.
>>
>> We rnow efrigerate all breads and baked good -- double-wrapped -- after
>> one day.

> When we buy bread we freeze half the loaf right away. Mold especially
> likes whole wheat bread, so we will freeze the loaf in two or three
> sections.
>
> We can get several uses out of each ziploc bag.

I don't eat much bread these days, so that when I make one, I cut it into
slices and freeze it. Saves wastes.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Julie Bove" > wrote:

> This time it was Essential Baking Company Panino Rolls. Central Market had
> them on sale. I can't remember what day I bought them. I ate one. Didn't
> notice a problem. Then went to make a sandwich just now. The top roll
> looked fine on first glance. But the one underneath it had a visible little
> round spot of green mold. I then looked at the one underneath it and it had
> several smaller spots just starting. The one on my plate? Had what
> appeared to be a piece of rosemary baked into the bread. I checked the
> ingredients as they do make a bread with rosemary. But there was none in
> this bread. So out it went!
>
> I don't know if you've ever bitten into moldy bread before. I have. I will
> never forget that taste. It is not a good one!
>
> Odd thing is, the date on the package was 6/14. I don't know if they made a
> mistake on the date or what. I haven't bought a lot of their bread before.
> Just their single long loaves (they're small) or the par baked that Costco
> sells. And the rosemary bread which I wasn't such a fan of. Too much
> rosemary in it.
>
> We have been having rather warm weather. And one day it felt muggy. I just
> don't know what would cause this. I still had the San Fransico sourdough
> rolls (only a few left), two loaves of the honey wheat bread (one almost
> gone) and neither showed any mold. One honey wheat is dated 6/9 and the
> other is dated 6/12. The sourdough is 6/10.

What did Central Market say when you returned the Rolls?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote:
> > wrote in message

>>> Ummm, warm weather and humidity.
>>>
>>> We have that problem year-round in Florida -- no bread lasts as long as
>>> we expected when we lived up north.
>>>
>>> We rnow efrigerate all breads and baked good -- double-wrapped -- after
>>> one day.

>> When we buy bread we freeze half the loaf right away. Mold especially
>> likes whole wheat bread, so we will freeze the loaf in two or three
>> sections.
>>
>> We can get several uses out of each ziploc bag.

> I don't eat much bread these days, so that when I make one, I cut it into
> slices and freeze it. Saves wastes.

Yes, bread immediately goes into the freezer here, if we buy it at all.
Bread is essentially empty calories anyway, even the whole wheat stuff, so
it doesn't make sense to really eat much of it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"pltrgyst" > wrote in message
> On 6/10/14, 12:57 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> We have been having rather warm weather. And one day it felt muggy. I
>> just don't know what would cause this....

> Ummm, warm weather and humidity.
>
> We have that problem year-round in Florida -- no bread lasts as long as we
> expected when we lived up north.
>
> We rnow efrigerate all breads and baked good -- double-wrapped -- after
> one day.
>
> -- Larry

I grew up with refrigerated or frozen bread and I just don't like what it
does to the texture.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 9 Jun 2014 21:57:58 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>> We have been having rather warm weather. And one day it felt muggy. I
>> just
>> don't know what would cause this. I still had the San Fransico sourdough
>> rolls (only a few left), two loaves of the honey wheat bread (one almost
>> gone) and neither showed any mold. One honey wheat is dated 6/9 and the
>> other is dated 6/12. The sourdough is 6/10.

> 1. Don't buy so much bread all at once.
> 2. Check the dates carefully and buy only what you can consume before
> it goes stale.
> 3.
> http://www.eatbydate.com/grains/bake...piration-date/

This was only 4 rolls and not expired. The date on it indicated that it
should be good through 6/14. Obviously not. But the bread I have with
dates that are sooner than that have no mold. So just weird.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 6/10/2014 10:22 AM, sf wrote:
>> On Mon, 9 Jun 2014 21:57:58 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> We have been having rather warm weather. And one day it felt muggy. I
>>> just
>>> don't know what would cause this.

> It's called "humidity". Mold thrives in warm, moist climates.
>
>>> I still had the San Fransico sourdough
>>> rolls (only a few left), two loaves of the honey wheat bread (one almost
>>> gone) and neither showed any mold. One honey wheat is dated 6/9 and the
>>> other is dated 6/12. The sourdough is 6/10.

>> 1. Don't buy so much bread all at once.
>> 2. Check the dates carefully and buy only what you can consume before
>> it goes stale.
>> 3.
>> http://www.eatbydate.com/grains/bake...piration-date/
>>

> It seems Julie feels compelled to buy lots of stuff all at one time. If
> they'd replaced the second freezer when it broke (even with a smaller one)
> she wouldn't have this problem, but they chose not to. So... don't buy
> bread as if you're a squirrel gathering nuts for the winter.

I didn't buy this all at one time. I bought the second loaf of honey whole
wheat only because I can't get it everywhere. Only Costco, Whole Foods, PCC
or Central Market. I got this loaf at Central Market only because I
happened to be there and they had the sale on the Panino rolls so I decided
to try them. Plus they were dated 6/14 so I assumed they would be fine. I
already knew that I had only a few of the Sourdough rolls left. They are
small and it was a big bag of them. I knew they were soon to expire. Only
reason that I bought those is that I wanted something for sandwiches and
whatever store I bought them at (Target? I think...) did not have what I
wanted and they were the only rolls they had that I could eat. So while it
was still a larger amount than I wanted, they had no other options and I
didn't want to go to another store.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> I grew up with refrigerated or frozen bread and I just don't like what it
>
> does to the texture.

Wasn't there a really long thread about you having to toss a bunch of groceries due to your electricity being out and there were many individual bags of bread in the freezer? I am a lurker and when bored follow these epic threads and I never post but this inspired me. There is a feel to your posts that remind me of Buffy Lyre or whatever her name was eons ago.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, June 10, 2014 4:07:23 PM UTC-7, wrote:

> > I grew up with refrigerated or frozen bread and I just don't like what it

> > does to the texture.

> Wasn't there a really long thread about you having to toss a bunch of groceries due to your electricity being out and there were many individual bags of bread in the freezer? I am a lurker and when bored follow these epic threads and I never post but this inspired me. There is a feel to your posts that remind me of Buffy Lyre or whatever her name was eons ago.

Hahaha, yes Buffy Lyre was such a kick. The difference is that she knew exactly how silly she and her friend (what was her name, Mary Ann?) were. She was truly witty.

Julie P
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message

> I grew up with refrigerated or frozen bread and I just don't like what it
>
> does to the texture.

Wasn't there a really long thread about you having to toss a bunch of
groceries due to your electricity being out and there were many individual
bags of bread in the freezer? I am a lurker and when bored follow these epic
threads and I never post but this inspired me. There is a feel to your
posts that remind me of Buffy Lyre or whatever her name was eons ago.

No clue who Buffy Lyre was. The bread I had to toss when we had the power
outage was a few pieces of flat bread from Costco. An entire package of
that stuff sells for (I think) $2.97 so it wasn't really a monetary loss. I
also had a few slices of honey whole wheat that I use for toast. I will
continue to freeze the flat bread only because I go to Costco less often
than I do other stores. And that sort of bread I warm before eating so the
freezer doesn't seem to affect it. The *only* reason I froze the other
bread was because I was stuck on the couch due to a foot operation and
subsequent infection. I couldn't go out to get groceries and I was in some
cases paying a premium price to have them delivered. So I did my best to
preserve what little I had.

I can go out and get groceries now as needed. So no need to put extra bread
in the freezer. And there is pretty much always going to be extra. Those
loaves are small but the don't contain preservatives and they will go moldy,
usually on the 8th day. They are good for 7 days after baked. But I can't
always time it to where I am purchasing a loaf with 7 days left on it.
Sometimes there are only 4 days. And I am usually the only one who eats it.
It would be rare for me to eat an entire loaf. And due to the slightly
sweet taste, I have found that we don't like it for other things. French
Toast Casserole being an exception but... Even when I make that, it rarely
gets fully eaten so there is still waste. I'd rather just waste the bread
and not additional eggs, milk, sugar substitute and cinnamon. Plus my time.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"barbie gee" > wrote in message
crg.pbz...

> On Mon, 9 Jun 2014, Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> This time it was Essential Baking Company Panino Rolls. Central Market
>> had them on sale. I can't remember what day I bought them. I ate one.
>> Didn't notice a problem. Then went to make a sandwich just now. The top
>> roll looked fine on first glance. But the one underneath it had a
>> visible little round spot of green mold. I then looked at the one
>> underneath it and it had several smaller spots just starting. The one on
>> my plate? Had what appeared to be a piece of rosemary baked into the
>> bread. I checked the ingredients as they do make a bread with rosemary.
>> But there was none in this bread. So out it went!
>>
>> I don't know if you've ever bitten into moldy bread before. I have. I
>> will never forget that taste. It is not a good one!
>>
>> Odd thing is, the date on the package was 6/14. I don't know if they
>> made a mistake on the date or what. I haven't bought a lot of their
>> bread before. Just their single long loaves (they're small) or the par
>> baked that Costco sells. And the rosemary bread which I wasn't such a
>> fan of. Too much rosemary in it.
>>
>> We have been having rather warm weather. And one day it felt muggy. I
>> just don't know what would cause this. I still had the San Fransico
>> sourdough rolls (only a few left), two loaves of the honey wheat bread
>> (one almost gone) and neither showed any mold. One honey wheat is dated
>> 6/9 and the other is dated 6/12. The sourdough is 6/10.

> How long are you leaving the bag open when you take the first piece out of
> the loaf/bag? Are your hands clean?

My hands are always clean when I prepare food and the bag was only open for
perhaps a few seconds. I grab it out and reclose immediately.

> Maybe you have a mold spore problem in the house, and you're contaminating
> the breads on your own. The breads with more preservatives or less
> contact with the air in your house or a lower moisture content may not
> mold as quickly.

That was brought up before but... Wouldn't all of the bread go moldy then?
And it doesn't. The one I complained of prior was a flatbread. Pita but
not pocket. I have since learned that they have some in Winco that is
actually moldy. I will never buy that brand again. I did write to the
company and never got a response. Someone surmised that they might be
putting it in the bags while warm. Winco sells another brand which is much
cheaper and it is cheaper still (although the bag is much bigger) at Costco.
I have switched to that brand. Never moldy even when 3 days past date.
Although it will get a tad dry.

I still have the partially used bag of honey whole wheat and also the
Sourdough. Date on the Sourdough was yesterday. Neither is moldy at all.

I did have mold around my kitchen sink but I removed all of the caulking and
redid it with a kind that repels mold. No mold there. None in my bathroom.
Husband's bathroom tends to get a little mold most likely because he is not
good to turn the vent fan on and he takes super long, hot showers.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"barbie gee" > wrote in message
crg.pbz...

> On Tue, 10 Jun 2014, Julie Bove wrote:
>

>> "barbie gee" > wrote in message
>> crg.pbz...

>>> How long are you leaving the bag open when you take the first piece out
>>> of the loaf/bag? Are your hands clean?

>> My hands are always clean when I prepare food and the bag was only open
>> for perhaps a few seconds. I grab it out and reclose immediately.
>>>
>>> Maybe you have a mold spore problem in the house, and you're
>>> contaminating the breads on your own. The breads with more
>>> preservatives or less contact with the air in your house or a lower
>>> moisture content may not mold as quickly.

>> That was brought up before but... Wouldn't all of the bread go moldy
>> then? And it doesn't. The one I complained of prior was a flatbread.
>> Pita but not pocket. I have since learned that they have some in Winco
>> that is actually moldy. I will never buy that brand again. I did write
>> to the company and never got a response. Someone surmised that they
>> might be putting it in the bags while warm. Winco sells another brand
>> which is much cheaper and it is cheaper still (although the bag is much
>> bigger) at Costco. I have switched to that brand. Never moldy even when
>> 3 days past date. Although it will get a tad dry.
>>
>> I still have the partially used bag of honey whole wheat and also the
>> Sourdough. Date on the Sourdough was yesterday. Neither is moldy at
>> all.
>>
>> I did have mold around my kitchen sink but I removed all of the caulking
>> and redid it with a kind that repels mold. No mold there. None in my
>> bathroom. Husband's bathroom tends to get a little mold most likely
>> because he is not good to turn the vent fan on and he takes super long,
>> hot showers.

> Maybe you're leaving it out on a sunny counter?

No.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/9/2014 6:57 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
> This time it was Essential Baking Company Panino Rolls. Central Market
> had them on sale. I can't remember what day I bought them. I ate one.
> Didn't notice a problem. Then went to make a sandwich just now. The
> top roll looked fine on first glance. But the one underneath it had a
> visible little round spot of green mold. I then looked at the one
> underneath it and it had several smaller spots just starting. The one
> on my plate? Had what appeared to be a piece of rosemary baked into the
> bread. I checked the ingredients as they do make a bread with
> rosemary. But there was none in this bread. So out it went!
>
> I don't know if you've ever bitten into moldy bread before. I have. I
> will never forget that taste. It is not a good one!
>
> Odd thing is, the date on the package was 6/14. I don't know if they
> made a mistake on the date or what. I haven't bought a lot of their
> bread before. Just their single long loaves (they're small) or the par
> baked that Costco sells. And the rosemary bread which I wasn't such a
> fan of. Too much rosemary in it.
>
> We have been having rather warm weather. And one day it felt muggy. I
> just don't know what would cause this. I still had the San Fransico
> sourdough rolls (only a few left), two loaves of the honey wheat bread
> (one almost gone) and neither showed any mold. One honey wheat is dated
> 6/9 and the other is dated 6/12. The sourdough is 6/10.

Breads with no preservatives will tend to spoil rapidly. Once you open
them, you only have a couple of days to finish it off. That's the way it
is here in the tropics. I tend to stay away from breads like that.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On 6/9/2014 6:57 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> This time it was Essential Baking Company Panino Rolls. Central Market
>> had them on sale. I can't remember what day I bought them. I ate one.
>> Didn't notice a problem. Then went to make a sandwich just now. The
>> top roll looked fine on first glance. But the one underneath it had a
>> visible little round spot of green mold. I then looked at the one
>> underneath it and it had several smaller spots just starting. The one
>> on my plate? Had what appeared to be a piece of rosemary baked into the
>> bread. I checked the ingredients as they do make a bread with
>> rosemary. But there was none in this bread. So out it went!
>>
>> I don't know if you've ever bitten into moldy bread before. I have. I
>> will never forget that taste. It is not a good one!
>>
>> Odd thing is, the date on the package was 6/14. I don't know if they
>> made a mistake on the date or what. I haven't bought a lot of their
>> bread before. Just their single long loaves (they're small) or the par
>> baked that Costco sells. And the rosemary bread which I wasn't such a
>> fan of. Too much rosemary in it.
>>
>> We have been having rather warm weather. And one day it felt muggy. I
>> just don't know what would cause this. I still had the San Fransico
>> sourdough rolls (only a few left), two loaves of the honey wheat bread
>> (one almost gone) and neither showed any mold. One honey wheat is dated
>> 6/9 and the other is dated 6/12. The sourdough is 6/10.

> Breads with no preservatives will tend to spoil rapidly. Once you open
> them, you only have a couple of days to finish it off. That's the way it
> is here in the tropics. I tend to stay away from breads like that.

I'm not sure if these had preservatives or not. I may go back to the store
tomorrow where I got them and will look. My honey whole wheat has no
preservatives and it still seems fine.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 11 Jun 2014 23:04:44 -1000, dsi1
> wrote:

>On 6/9/2014 6:57 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> This time it was Essential Baking Company Panino Rolls. Central Market
>> had them on sale. I can't remember what day I bought them. I ate one.
>> Didn't notice a problem. Then went to make a sandwich just now. The
>> top roll looked fine on first glance. But the one underneath it had a
>> visible little round spot of green mold. I then looked at the one
>> underneath it and it had several smaller spots just starting. The one
>> on my plate? Had what appeared to be a piece of rosemary baked into the
>> bread. I checked the ingredients as they do make a bread with
>> rosemary. But there was none in this bread. So out it went!
>>
>> I don't know if you've ever bitten into moldy bread before. I have. I
>> will never forget that taste. It is not a good one!
>>
>> Odd thing is, the date on the package was 6/14. I don't know if they
>> made a mistake on the date or what. I haven't bought a lot of their
>> bread before. Just their single long loaves (they're small) or the par
>> baked that Costco sells. And the rosemary bread which I wasn't such a
>> fan of. Too much rosemary in it.
>>
>> We have been having rather warm weather. And one day it felt muggy. I
>> just don't know what would cause this. I still had the San Fransico
>> sourdough rolls (only a few left), two loaves of the honey wheat bread
>> (one almost gone) and neither showed any mold. One honey wheat is dated
>> 6/9 and the other is dated 6/12. The sourdough is 6/10.

>Breads with no preservatives will tend to spoil rapidly. Once you open
>them, you only have a couple of days to finish it off. That's the way it
>is here in the tropics. I tend to stay away from breads like that.

So, keep your bread in the fridge... you do have refrigeration? Even
with AC bread without preservatives will keep well for a couple weeks.
The bread I buy contains no preservatives and a loaf can easily last
me ten days, but I keep it in the fridge and it will keep for a
month... very rarely after several weeks there might be a tiny bit of
mold on the last slices, that gets tossed to the critters.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/12/2014 6:24 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:

> So, keep your bread in the fridge... you do have refrigeration? Even
> with AC bread without preservatives will keep well for a couple weeks.
> The bread I buy contains no preservatives and a loaf can easily last
> me ten days, but I keep it in the fridge and it will keep for a
> month... very rarely after several weeks there might be a tiny bit of
> mold on the last slices, that gets tossed to the critters.

I don't have no stinkin' room in my fridge for no bread! If there's a
little mold on the bread, I'll cut it off and proceed with the eating.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, June 12, 2014 9:59:09 AM UTC-7, dsi1 wrote:

> I don't have no stinkin' room in my fridge for no bread! If there's a
> little mold on the bread, I'll cut it off and proceed with the eating.

The theory is that mold visible on the surface has spinnarets that go deep
inside the food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/12/2014 12:29 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

> I'm not sure if these had preservatives or not. I may go back to the
> store tomorrow where I got them and will look. My honey whole wheat has
> no preservatives and it still seems fine.

The trend of foods having no-preservatives mostly causes a lot of food
being dumped. That's not good.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 12 Jun 2014 07:24:08 -1000, dsi1
> wrote:

>On 6/12/2014 12:29 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> I'm not sure if these had preservatives or not. I may go back to the
>> store tomorrow where I got them and will look. My honey whole wheat has
>> no preservatives and it still seems fine.

>The trend of foods having no-preservatives mostly causes a lot of food
>being dumped. That's not good.

That's the fault of the purchaser, not the bread.
Aside from having awful texture and taste, bread with preservatives
isn't exactly good for you and some people are sensitive to it. It
doesnt feel or taste like bread to me.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 11 Jun 2014 23:04:44 -1000, dsi1
> > wrote:
>
>>On 6/9/2014 6:57 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>> This time it was Essential Baking Company Panino Rolls. Central Market
>>> had them on sale. I can't remember what day I bought them. I ate one.
>>> Didn't notice a problem. Then went to make a sandwich just now. The
>>> top roll looked fine on first glance. But the one underneath it had a
>>> visible little round spot of green mold. I then looked at the one
>>> underneath it and it had several smaller spots just starting. The one
>>> on my plate? Had what appeared to be a piece of rosemary baked into the
>>> bread. I checked the ingredients as they do make a bread with
>>> rosemary. But there was none in this bread. So out it went!
>>>
>>> I don't know if you've ever bitten into moldy bread before. I have. I
>>> will never forget that taste. It is not a good one!
>>>
>>> Odd thing is, the date on the package was 6/14. I don't know if they
>>> made a mistake on the date or what. I haven't bought a lot of their
>>> bread before. Just their single long loaves (they're small) or the par
>>> baked that Costco sells. And the rosemary bread which I wasn't such a
>>> fan of. Too much rosemary in it.
>>>
>>> We have been having rather warm weather. And one day it felt muggy. I
>>> just don't know what would cause this. I still had the San Fransico
>>> sourdough rolls (only a few left), two loaves of the honey wheat bread
>>> (one almost gone) and neither showed any mold. One honey wheat is dated
>>> 6/9 and the other is dated 6/12. The sourdough is 6/10.

>>Breads with no preservatives will tend to spoil rapidly. Once you open
>>them, you only have a couple of days to finish it off. That's the way it
>>is here in the tropics. I tend to stay away from breads like that.

> So, keep your bread in the fridge... you do have refrigeration? Even
> with AC bread without preservatives will keep well for a couple weeks.
> The bread I buy contains no preservatives and a loaf can easily last
> me ten days, but I keep it in the fridge and it will keep for a
> month... very rarely after several weeks there might be a tiny bit of
> mold on the last slices, that gets tossed to the critters.

As I have said countless times before, I don't like the texture of
refrigerated bread.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On 6/12/2014 6:24 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>>
>> So, keep your bread in the fridge... you do have refrigeration? Even
>> with AC bread without preservatives will keep well for a couple weeks.
>> The bread I buy contains no preservatives and a loaf can easily last
>> me ten days, but I keep it in the fridge and it will keep for a
>> month... very rarely after several weeks there might be a tiny bit of
>> mold on the last slices, that gets tossed to the critters.
>>

> I don't have no stinkin' room in my fridge for no bread! If there's a
> little mold on the bread, I'll cut it off and proceed with the eating.

That's not a wise plan. If you can see mold it is all through it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/12/2014 12:09 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "dsi1" > wrote in message
>> On 6/12/2014 6:24 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>>>
>>> So, keep your bread in the fridge... you do have refrigeration? Even
>>> with AC bread without preservatives will keep well for a couple weeks.
>>> The bread I buy contains no preservatives and a loaf can easily last
>>> me ten days, but I keep it in the fridge and it will keep for a
>>> month... very rarely after several weeks there might be a tiny bit of
>>> mold on the last slices, that gets tossed to the critters.
>>>

>> I don't have no stinkin' room in my fridge for no bread! If there's a
>> little mold on the bread, I'll cut it off and proceed with the eating.

> That's not a wise plan. If you can see mold it is all through it.

My guess is that mold can be an important source of vitamins and
nutrients for strong bodied and minds. Well, at least bodies, anyway.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, June 9, 2014 11:57:58 PM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:
> This time it was Essential Baking Company Panino Rolls. Central Market had
>
> them on sale. I can't remember what day I bought them. I ate one. Didn't
>
> notice a problem. Then went to make a sandwich just now. The top roll
>
> looked fine on first glance. But the one underneath it had a visible little
>
> round spot of green mold. I then looked at the one underneath it and it had
>
> several smaller spots just starting. The one on my plate? Had what
>
> appeared to be a piece of rosemary baked into the bread. I checked the
>
> ingredients as they do make a bread with rosemary. But there was none in
>
> this bread. So out it went!
>

> I don't know if you've ever bitten into moldy bread before. I have. I will
>
> never forget that taste. It is not a good one!
>

> Odd thing is, the date on the package was 6/14. I don't know if they made a
>
> mistake on the date or what. I haven't bought a lot of their bread before.
>
> Just their single long loaves (they're small) or the par baked that Costco
>
> sells. And the rosemary bread which I wasn't such a fan of. Too much
>
> rosemary in it.
>

> We have been having rather warm weather. And one day it felt muggy. I just
>
> don't know what would cause this. I still had the San Fransico sourdough
>
> rolls (only a few left), two loaves of the honey wheat bread (one almost
>
> gone) and neither showed any mold. One honey wheat is dated 6/9 and the
>
> other is dated 6/12. The sourdough is 6/10.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, June 9, 2014 11:57:58 PM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:
> This time it was Essential Baking Company Panino Rolls. Central Market had
>
> them on sale. I can't remember what day I bought them. I ate one. Didn't
>
> notice a problem. Then went to make a sandwich just now. The top roll
>
> looked fine on first glance. But the one underneath it had a visible little
>
> round spot of green mold. I then looked at the one underneath it and it had
>
> several smaller spots just starting. The one on my plate? Had what
>
> appeared to be a piece of rosemary baked into the bread. I checked the
>
> ingredients as they do make a bread with rosemary. But there was none in
>
> this bread. So out it went!
>

> I don't know if you've ever bitten into moldy bread before. I have. I will
>
> never forget that taste. It is not a good one!
>

> Odd thing is, the date on the package was 6/14. I don't know if they made a
>
> mistake on the date or what. I haven't bought a lot of their bread before.
>
> Just their single long loaves (they're small) or the par baked that Costco
>
> sells. And the rosemary bread which I wasn't such a fan of. Too much
>
> rosemary in it.
>

> We have been having rather warm weather. And one day it felt muggy. I just
>
> don't know what would cause this. I still had the San Fransico sourdough
>
> rolls (only a few left), two loaves of the honey wheat bread (one almost
>
> gone) and neither showed any mold. One honey wheat is dated 6/9 and the
>
> other is dated 6/12. The sourdough is 6/10.

try putting the bread in the fridge, that may help. If I leave it out in the bread box, for more than a coule days, it tends to get moldy.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On 6/12/2014 12:09 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

>>> I don't have no stinkin' room in my fridge for no bread! If there's a
>>> little mold on the bread, I'll cut it off and proceed with the eating.

>> That's not a wise plan. If you can see mold it is all through it.

> My guess is that mold can be an important source of vitamins and nutrients
> for strong bodied and minds. Well, at least bodies, anyway.

I don't know if it would make you sick or not but... I remember eating that
piece of flat bread with hummus at the dance studio. All of a sudden I
wanted to hurl. I had the most off taste in my mouth. Then I looked down
and saw the big green spots. I must have been in a hurry that day and just
grabbed stuff to throw in a bag. Blech!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/12/2014 4:44 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "dsi1" > wrote in message

>>> That's not a wise plan. If you can see mold it is all through it.

>> My guess is that mold can be an important source of vitamins and
>> nutrients for strong bodied and minds. Well, at least bodies, anyway.

> I don't know if it would make you sick or not but... I remember eating
> that piece of flat bread with hummus at the dance studio. All of a
> sudden I wanted to hurl. I had the most off taste in my mouth. Then I
> looked down and saw the big green spots. I must have been in a hurry
> that day and just grabbed stuff to throw in a bag. Blech!

Ugggh! That's a pretty disgusting story. I would have probably hurled
too. I just don't understand why people feel the need to put hummus on a
perfectly good piece of bread.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On 6/12/2014 4:44 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

>>> My guess is that mold can be an important source of vitamins and
>>> nutrients for strong bodied and minds. Well, at least bodies, anyway.

>> I don't know if it would make you sick or not but... I remember eating
>> that piece of flat bread with hummus at the dance studio. All of a
>> sudden I wanted to hurl. I had the most off taste in my mouth. Then I
>> looked down and saw the big green spots. I must have been in a hurry
>> that day and just grabbed stuff to throw in a bag. Blech!

> Ugggh! That's a pretty disgusting story. I would have probably hurled too.
> I just don't understand why people feel the need to put hummus on a
> perfectly good piece of bread.

No, no! The bread wasn't good. It was moldy. Most awful taste. I will
say that I didn't care for the hummus that I just ate though. The regular
flavor was fine. The roasted pepper was okay as was the tomato and pesto.
But the jalapeno and cilantro kind? I could do without. It was a party
platter that I got at Costco. Never again. Nobody else liked it either.
Was the Pita Pals brand.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/12/2014 3:14 PM, Jeßus wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Jun 2014 07:24:08 -1000, dsi1
> > wrote:
>
>> On 6/12/2014 12:29 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm not sure if these had preservatives or not. I may go back to the
>>> store tomorrow where I got them and will look. My honey whole wheat has
>>> no preservatives and it still seems fine.

>> The trend of foods having no-preservatives mostly causes a lot of food
>> being dumped. That's not good.

> That's the fault of the purchaser, not the bread.
> Aside from having awful texture and taste, bread with preservatives
> isn't exactly good for you and some people are sensitive to it. It
> doesnt feel or taste like bread to me.

Oh, FFS. The preservative most commonly used in bread is calcium
propionate, which is naturally found in far higher levels in Swiss
Cheese. People decided that 'preservative' was bad, so they demanded
preservative-free bread. Which then goes bad much faster. But they
never knew it was a natural product in their cheese, so they never got
worked up about it there.

So preservative-free bread molds a lot faster. Congratulations, food
loons, you got what you asked for.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/12/2014 5:29 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "dsi1" > wrote in message
>> On 6/9/2014 6:57 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>> This time it was Essential Baking Company Panino Rolls. Central
>>> Market
>>> had them on sale. I can't remember what day I bought them. I ate
>>> one.
>>> Didn't notice a problem. Then went to make a sandwich just now. The
>>> top roll looked fine on first glance. But the one underneath it had a
>>> visible little round spot of green mold. I then looked at the one
>>> underneath it and it had several smaller spots just starting. The one
>>> on my plate? Had what appeared to be a piece of rosemary baked
>>> into the
>>> bread. I checked the ingredients as they do make a bread with
>>> rosemary. But there was none in this bread. So out it went!
>>>
>>> I don't know if you've ever bitten into moldy bread before. I
>>> have. I
>>> will never forget that taste. It is not a good one!
>>>
>>> Odd thing is, the date on the package was 6/14. I don't know if they
>>> made a mistake on the date or what. I haven't bought a lot of their
>>> bread before. Just their single long loaves (they're small) or the par
>>> baked that Costco sells. And the rosemary bread which I wasn't such a
>>> fan of. Too much rosemary in it.
>>>
>>> We have been having rather warm weather. And one day it felt
>>> muggy. I
>>> just don't know what would cause this. I still had the San Fransico
>>> sourdough rolls (only a few left), two loaves of the honey wheat bread
>>> (one almost gone) and neither showed any mold. One honey wheat is
>>> dated
>>> 6/9 and the other is dated 6/12. The sourdough is 6/10.

>> Breads with no preservatives will tend to spoil rapidly. Once you
>> open them, you only have a couple of days to finish it off. That's
>> the way it is here in the tropics. I tend to stay away from breads
>> like that.

> I'm not sure if these had preservatives or not. I may go back to the
> store tomorrow where I got them and will look. My honey whole wheat
> has no preservatives and it still seems fine.

It may have trace amounts of a natural product with preservative
qualities, such as raisins or raisin juice, or cinnamon. Tiny amounts
of those items will extend the shelf life of bread. Bakers in the know
add trace amounts to their doughs for that reason.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/12/2014 5:09 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "dsi1" > wrote in message
>> On 6/12/2014 6:24 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>>>
>>> So, keep your bread in the fridge... you do have refrigeration? Even
>>> with AC bread without preservatives will keep well for a couple weeks.
>>> The bread I buy contains no preservatives and a loaf can easily last
>>> me ten days, but I keep it in the fridge and it will keep for a
>>> month... very rarely after several weeks there might be a tiny bit of
>>> mold on the last slices, that gets tossed to the critters.
>>>

>> I don't have no stinkin' room in my fridge for no bread! If there's
>> a little mold on the bread, I'll cut it off and proceed with the
>> eating.

> That's not a wise plan. If you can see mold it is all through it.

"Mold" does not equal "death". If it did, the ancestors of the human
race would never have made it out of the ocean.

I can guarantee you that the vast majority of humanity has eaten moldy
bread and survived the experience. Most in modern times probably never
even noticed.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/12/2014 4:04 AM, dsi1 wrote:

> Breads with no preservatives will tend to spoil rapidly. Once you open
> them, you only have a couple of days to finish it off. That's the way
> it is here in the tropics. I tend to stay away from breads like that.

Sometimes bread is bagged before it has fully cooled. That happens
more often than it should, and it will promote mold growth.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 17 Jun 2014 12:33:58 -0500, Moe DeLoughan >
wrote:

> So preservative-free bread molds a lot faster. Congratulations, food
> loons, you got what you asked for.

I want preservatives in other things too. For instance, I bought this
yesterday
http://www.shopwell.com/el-mexicano-...s/p/4274323125
DD looked at the ingredient list and said I shouldn't buy it. My
response was that Seville oranges are only once a year (quick like
apricot season, except I have to go to the farmer's market to buy them
because they don't show up in my grocery stores) and my timing has to
be perfect to find them... so, yes, I DO want preservatives in it.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila