Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Moldy bread in freezer.

Now I have it! Was going to make a hot turkey sandwich. Pulled out half a
loaf of honey white bread dated 10/17. Pried of two slices and was going to
nuke them when I noticed a speck on the corner of the crust. Sure enough,
it was a green speck. Looked further and found another speck on another
loaf. And out it went!

Now I can't remember the story of this bread. I did buy it either at Whole
Foods or Central Market as those are the only places I have been that sell
this bread. And I only buy this bread if I want to make a sandwich because
other than that, I don't eat it. And nobody else eats it. I do remember
tucking it away with the intent to make stuffing out of it but then I didn't
make the stuffing.

There is the possibility that the bread was moldy when I put it in there but
I just didn't notice it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 4 Dec 2014 22:50:43 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> Now I have it! Was going to make a hot turkey sandwich. Pulled out half a
> loaf of honey white bread dated 10/17. Pried of two slices and was going to
> nuke them when I noticed a speck on the corner of the crust. Sure enough,
> it was a green speck. Looked further and found another speck on another
> loaf. And out it went!

<snip>

> There is the possibility that the bread was moldy when I put it in there but
> I just didn't notice it.

Could be. Have you checked the temperature of your freezer? Maybe
that could have something to do with it.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 4 Dec 2014 22:50:43 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>>Now I have it! Was going to make a hot turkey sandwich. Pulled out half
>>loaf of honey white bread dated 10/17. Pried of two slices and was going
>>nuke them when I noticed a speck on the corner of the crust. Sure enough,
>>it was a green speck. Looked further and found another speck on another
>>loaf. And out it went!
>>
>>Now I can't remember the story of this bread. I did buy it either at
>>Whole
>>Foods or Central Market as those are the only places I have been that sell
>>this bread. And I only buy this bread if I want to make a sandwich
>>because
>>other than that, I don't eat it. And nobody else eats it. I do remember
>>tucking it away with the intent to make stuffing out of it but then I
>>didn't
>>make the stuffing.
>>
>>There is the possibility that the bread was moldy when I put it in there
>>but
>>I just didn't notice it.

> Don't you think that's the only possibility?

No. Cheryl had the same problem a while back.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 4 Dec 2014 22:50:43 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>> Now I have it! Was going to make a hot turkey sandwich. Pulled out half
>> loaf of honey white bread dated 10/17. Pried of two slices and was going
>> nuke them when I noticed a speck on the corner of the crust. Sure
>> enough,
>> it was a green speck. Looked further and found another speck on another
>> loaf. And out it went!
>>

> <snip>
>>
>> There is the possibility that the bread was moldy when I put it in there
>> but
>> I just didn't notice it.

> Could be. Have you checked the temperature of your freezer? Maybe
> that could have something to do with it.

There's a thermometer in there. I did have the door open for a little while
the other day to rearrange and clean out.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in
:

> Now I have it! Was going to make a hot turkey sandwich. Pulled out
> half a loaf of honey white bread dated 10/17. Pried of two slices and
> was going to nuke them when I noticed a speck on the corner of the
> crust. Sure enough, it was a green speck. Looked further and found
> another speck on another loaf. And out it went!

I freeze homemade bread all the time. Never had this problem. But maybe I
don't look at the slices as carefully as you do. Anyway, I've survived.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
>> On Thu, 4 Dec 2014 22:50:43 -0800, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> Now I have it! Was going to make a hot turkey sandwich. Pulled out half
>>> loaf of honey white bread dated 10/17. Pried of two slices and was going
>>> nuke them when I noticed a speck on the corner of the crust. Sure
>>> enough,
>>> it was a green speck. Looked further and found another speck on another
>>> loaf. And out it went!
>>>

>> <snip>
>>>
>>> There is the possibility that the bread was moldy when I put it in there
>>> but
>>> I just didn't notice it.

>> Could be. Have you checked the temperature of your freezer? Maybe
>> that could have something to do with it.

> There's a thermometer in there. I did have the door open for a little while
> the other day to rearrange and clean out.

next time this happens, send a sample to the lab - you may have discovered
a new strain of mold that grows in freezing temperatures - and as the
discoverer you should have naming rights

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, December 4, 2014 11:51:02 PM UTC-7, Julie Bove wrote:
> Now I have it! Was going to make a hot turkey sandwich. Pulled out half a
> loaf of honey white bread dated 10/17. Pried of two slices and was going to
> nuke them when I noticed a speck on the corner of the crust. Sure enough,
> it was a green speck. Looked further and found another speck on another
> loaf. And out it went!
>
> Now I can't remember the story of this bread. I did buy it either at Whole
> Foods or Central Market as those are the only places I have been that sell
> this bread. And I only buy this bread if I want to make a sandwich because
> other than that, I don't eat it. And nobody else eats it. I do remember
> tucking it away with the intent to make stuffing out of it but then I didn't
> make the stuffing.
>
> There is the possibility that the bread was moldy when I put it in there but
> I just didn't notice it.

Bread CANNOT mold in the freezer. You bought moldy bread...new glasses are in order. Julie is to blame for the problem. Julie is the problem. Your diary entry will not affect this group...so give yourself a good kick and check your bread before purchase and before storage of same. There is no charge for this advice...have a nice day.
====
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> "Julie Bove" wrote:
> > There is the possibility that the bread was moldy when I put it in there but
> > I just didn't notice it.

> Could be. Have you checked the temperature of your freezer? Maybe
> that could have something to do with it.

Julie doesn't freeze bread. She probably put it in her bread box.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> sf wrote:
>>
>> "Julie Bove" wrote:
>> > There is the possibility that the bread was moldy when I put it in
>> > there but
>> > I just didn't notice it.

>> Could be. Have you checked the temperature of your freezer? Maybe
>> that could have something to do with it.

> Julie doesn't freeze bread. She probably put it in her bread box.

I did freeze this with the intent to make it into stuffing. But that never
happened.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

tert in seattle wrote:

> next time this happens, send a sample to the lab - you may have discovered
> a new strain of mold that grows in freezing temperatures - and as the
> discoverer you should have naming rights

Could be useful in terraforming Mars prior
to colonization. And we could honor Julie
by sending her there.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

>tert in seattle wrote:
>
> next time this happens, send a sample to the lab - you may have discovered
> a new strain of mold that grows in freezing temperatures - and as the
> discoverer you should have naming rights

Relatively speaking the temperature of the home freezer is quite
warm... some fungi thrive at that temperature.
http://www.botany.hawaii.edu/faculty...5/Lect03_c.htm
However people who have mold growing in their fridge/freezer are very
likely slobs.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, December 5, 2014 1:51:02 AM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:
> Now I have it! Was going to make a hot turkey sandwich. Pulled out half a
> loaf of honey white bread dated 10/17. Pried of two slices and was going to
> nuke them when I noticed a speck on the corner of the crust. Sure enough,
> it was a green speck. Looked further and found another speck on another
> loaf. And out it went!
>
> Now I can't remember the story of this bread. I did buy it either at Whole
> Foods or Central Market as those are the only places I have been that sell
> this bread. And I only buy this bread if I want to make a sandwich because
> other than that, I don't eat it. And nobody else eats it. I do remember
> tucking it away with the intent to make stuffing out of it but then I didn't
> make the stuffing.
>
> There is the possibility that the bread was moldy when I put it in there but
> I just didn't notice it.

Here we go again. She's running out of to
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-12-06 12:46 PM, Kalmia wrote:

>> Now I can't remember the story of this bread. I did buy it either at Whole
>> Foods or Central Market as those are the only places I have been that sell
>> this bread. And I only buy this bread if I want to make a sandwich because
>> other than that, I don't eat it. And nobody else eats it. I do remember
>> tucking it away with the intent to make stuffing out of it but then I didn't
>> make the stuffing.
>>
>> There is the possibility that the bread was moldy when I put it in there but
>> I just didn't notice it.

> Here we go again. She's running out of to

I recall that the Bove has complained in the past about moldy bread.
Now it's in her freezer???? I don't think I have ever bought a loaf of
bread that was moldy. I have on maybe to occasions had bread develop
mold. That is why I keep it in the fridge if it will be used up within a
day or two, or into the freezer if it is going to last longer than that.
It says a lot about her if mold is a frequent problem in her kitchen.
Most other people learn.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
..I have on maybe to occasions had bread develop
> mold. That is why I keep it in the fridge if it will be used up within a
> day or two, or into the freezer if it is going to last longer than that.

Since I only ever use bread for an occasional piece of toast as a rule, it
lasts for a very long time in the fridge.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" wrote:

>Since I only ever use bread for an occasional piece of toast as a rule, it
>lasts for a very long time in the fridge.
>
>Cheri

I buy a lot of "expired" bread/rolls for feeding critters that I keep
in the fridge, not once have I seen any mold. In fact I often eat
some of that expired bread/rolls myself, nothing wrong with it...
often has been in my fridge for over a month and no mold. I think if
someone buys *fresh* bread and keeps it in their fridge/freezer and it
gets moldy within a month then that's because they handled it with
their filthy unwashed mitts plus their abode has to be a virtual
landfill. A lot of people regularly dust/vacuum their guest
entertaining areas, but haven't a clue about safe food handling. I've
visited many homes that would never pass a military inspection, their
kitchens are disgusting but they don't see it, they haven't a clue.
Don't even get me started on their bathrooms, I've seen some horrors.
Do yoose know there are a lot of people who plop their disgusting
unwashed bodies into the same unlaundered bedding for over a year. The
worst slobs are those with strange dietary habits... moldy bread your
ass, literally... Bove!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
> >tert in seattle wrote:
>>
>> next time this happens, send a sample to the lab - you may have
>> discovered
>> a new strain of mold that grows in freezing temperatures - and as the
>> discoverer you should have naming rights

> Relatively speaking the temperature of the home freezer is quite
> warm... some fungi thrive at that temperature.
> http://www.botany.hawaii.edu/faculty...5/Lect03_c.htm
> However people who have mold growing in their fridge/freezer are very
> likely slobs.

The bread was sealed in a bag and there was no mold anywhere else.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
> "Cheri" wrote:
>>
>>Since I only ever use bread for an occasional piece of toast as a rule, it
>>lasts for a very long time in the fridge.
>>
>>Cheri

> I buy a lot of "expired" bread/rolls for feeding critters that I keep
> in the fridge, not once have I seen any mold. In fact I often eat
> some of that expired bread/rolls myself, nothing wrong with it...
> often has been in my fridge for over a month and no mold. I think if
> someone buys *fresh* bread and keeps it in their fridge/freezer and it
> gets moldy within a month then that's because they handled it with
> their filthy unwashed mitts plus their abode has to be a virtual
> landfill. A lot of people regularly dust/vacuum their guest
> entertaining areas, but haven't a clue about safe food handling. I've
> visited many homes that would never pass a military inspection, their
> kitchens are disgusting but they don't see it, they haven't a clue.
> Don't even get me started on their bathrooms, I've seen some horrors.
> Do yoose know there are a lot of people who plop their disgusting
> unwashed bodies into the same unlaundered bedding for over a year. The
> worst slobs are those with strange dietary habits... moldy bread your
> ass, literally... Bove!

This is not your standard bread. It is made at a local bakery and has no
preservatives. I rarely bought the white and never will again. As I
recall, I tried to make a sandwich with that loaf and the bread just turned
to mush. It may have not been baked for long enough because it was overly
moist.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Brooklyn1 > wrote:

> "Cheri" wrote:
> >
> >Since I only ever use bread for an occasional piece of toast as a rule, it
> >lasts for a very long time in the fridge.
> >
> >Cheri

> I buy a lot of "expired" bread/rolls for feeding critters that I keep
> in the fridge,

don't they die?

not once have I seen any mold. In fact I often eat
> some of that expired bread/rolls myself, nothing wrong with it...
> often has been in my fridge for over a month and no mold. I think if
> someone buys *fresh* bread and keeps it in their fridge/freezer and it
> gets moldy within a month then that's because they handled it with
> their filthy unwashed mitts plus their abode has to be a virtual
> landfill. A lot of people regularly dust/vacuum their guest
> entertaining areas, but haven't a clue about safe food handling. I've
> visited many homes that would never pass a military inspection, their
> kitchens are disgusting but they don't see it, they haven't a clue.
> Don't even get me started on their bathrooms, I've seen some horrors.
> Do yoose know there are a lot of people who plop their disgusting
> unwashed bodies into the same unlaundered bedding for over a year. The
> worst slobs are those with strange dietary habits... moldy bread your
> ass, literally... Bove!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

like cheese,
i just cut off/out the mold, and eat,
all the time, and i've survived

what do the homeless do?

marc
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/5/2014 9:34 AM, KenK wrote:
> "Julie Bove" > wrote in
> :
>
>> Now I have it! Was going to make a hot turkey sandwich. Pulled out
>> half a loaf of honey white bread dated 10/17. Pried of two slices and
>> was going to nuke them when I noticed a speck on the corner of the
>> crust. Sure enough, it was a green speck. Looked further and found
>> another speck on another loaf. And out it went!
>>

> I freeze homemade bread all the time. Never had this problem. But maybe I
> don't look at the slices as carefully as you do. Anyway, I've survived.

The time it happened to me, the mold was visible through the plastic
bag. It was not only on the bread, but on the inside of the plastic bag.
I've since discovered where I put it isn't the coldest part of the
freezer. Now when I freeze bread, I know where to put it. Plus, at the
time, my freezer was a little too full.

--
ღ.¸¸.œ«*¨`*œ¶
Cheryl

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheryl wrote:
>KenK wrote:
>> "Julie Bove" wrote:
>>>
>>> Now I have it! Was going to make a hot turkey sandwich. Pulled out
>>> half a loaf of honey white bread dated 10/17. Pried of two slices and
>>> was going to nuke them when I noticed a speck on the corner of the
>>> crust. Sure enough, it was a green speck. Looked further and found
>>> another speck on another loaf. And out it went!

>> I freeze homemade bread all the time. Never had this problem. But maybe I
>> don't look at the slices as carefully as you do. Anyway, I've survived.
>>

>The time it happened to me, the mold was visible through the plastic
>bag. It was not only on the bread, but on the inside of the plastic bag.
>
> I've since discovered where I put it isn't the coldest part of the
>freezer. Now when I freeze bread, I know where to put it. Plus, at the
>time, my freezer was a little too full.

I seriously doubt the coldest and warmest parts of your freezer vary
by more than 5ºF, unless your appliance is Circa 1948 or older, the
door gasket is kaput, or if overfilled and something is preventing the
door from fully closing. In my experience bread mold doesn't form at
modern freezer temperatures (I've had bread in my freezer for over a
year with no mold), more likely your bread was already moldy when you
placed it in your freezer. I've kept expired bread in my fridge for
two months without it molding. Most likely your bread was already
moldy when you brought it home or it was left out on the counter for a
week or more before you decided to freeze it.