Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default American vs British cooking vocabulary

So marrow isn't a different plant after all, it's just a huge
zucchini.
http://lifehacker.com/the-difference...m=soc ialflow

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message

> So marrow isn't a different plant after all, it's just a huge
> zucchini.
> http://lifehacker.com/the-difference...m=soc ialflow

Pah I could have told you that <g>
--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message

> So marrow isn't a different plant after all, it's just a huge
> zucchini.
> http://lifehacker.com/the-difference...m=soc ialflow

"Rutabaga (US) is sometimes referred to as swede (UK), but also called
turnip or neep in some parts of the UK, particularly Scotland, depending on
the variety and how it is prepared"

No these are two different beasts I loathe turnip and for me, it flavours
a whole dish and makes me feel ill!

http://tinyurl.com/mdy4o2x

Swede is different and I love it mashed with butter

http://tinyurl.com/lrl25sq

Both get referred to though as 'neeps')

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" wrote:
>"sf" wrote:
>>
>> So marrow isn't a different plant after all, it's just a huge
>> zucchini.
>> http://lifehacker.com/the-difference...m=soc ialflow

>Pah I could have told you that <g>

Pah I could have demonstrated! <g>
Caution (XXXX Rated):
http://i60.tinypic.com/25f7gw7.jpg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 10 May 2014 17:05:21 +0100, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

>"sf" > wrote in message
.. .

>> So marrow isn't a different plant after all, it's just a huge
>> zucchini.
>> http://lifehacker.com/the-difference...m=soc ialflow

>"Rutabaga (US) is sometimes referred to as swede (UK), but also called
>turnip or neep in some parts of the UK, particularly Scotland, depending on
>the variety and how it is prepared"
>
>No these are two different beasts I loathe turnip and for me, it flavours
>a whole dish and makes me feel ill!
>
>http://tinyurl.com/mdy4o2x
>
>Swede is different and I love it mashed with butter
>
>http://tinyurl.com/lrl25sq
>
>Both get referred to though as 'neeps')

I like a tiny bit of brown sugar mashed with my swede, as well.

Doris

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 10 May 2014 08:17:05 -0700, sf > wrote:

>So marrow isn't a different plant after all, it's just a huge
>zucchini.
>http://lifehacker.com/the-difference...m=soc ialflow

I've been watching Australian cooking shows on TV lately, and have
discovered that a chicken leg+thigh piece is called a "Maryland" in
Oz. Never heard of that before.

Doris

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/10/2014 12:52 PM, Doris Night wrote:
> On Sat, 10 May 2014 17:05:21 +0100, "Ophelia"

>> No these are two different beasts I loathe turnip and for me, it flavours
>> a whole dish and makes me feel ill!
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/mdy4o2x
>>
>> Swede is different and I love it mashed with butter
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/lrl25sq
>>
>> Both get referred to though as 'neeps')

> I like a tiny bit of brown sugar mashed with my swede, as well.

Me too! But hold the swede.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Doris Night" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 10 May 2014 17:05:21 +0100, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>

>>"sf" > wrote in message
. ..

>>> So marrow isn't a different plant after all, it's just a huge
>>> zucchini.
>>> http://lifehacker.com/the-difference...m=soc ialflow

>>"Rutabaga (US) is sometimes referred to as swede (UK), but also called
>>turnip or neep in some parts of the UK, particularly Scotland, depending
>>on
>>the variety and how it is prepared"
>>
>>No these are two different beasts I loathe turnip and for me, it
>>flavours
>>a whole dish and makes me feel ill!
>>
>>http://tinyurl.com/mdy4o2x
>>
>>Swede is different and I love it mashed with butter
>>
>>http://tinyurl.com/lrl25sq
>>
>>Both get referred to though as 'neeps')

> I like a tiny bit of brown sugar mashed with my swede, as well.

That sounds good

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
> On 5/10/2014 12:52 PM, Doris Night wrote:
>> On Sat, 10 May 2014 17:05:21 +0100, "Ophelia"

>>> No these are two different beasts I loathe turnip and for me, it
>>> flavours
>>> a whole dish and makes me feel ill!
>>>
>>> http://tinyurl.com/mdy4o2x
>>>
>>> Swede is different and I love it mashed with butter
>>>
>>> http://tinyurl.com/lrl25sq
>>>
>>> Both get referred to though as 'neeps')

>> I like a tiny bit of brown sugar mashed with my swede, as well.

> Me too! But hold the swede.

lol that's cheating)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/10/2014 1:03 PM, Ophelia wrote:

> "Nancy Young" > wrote

>> On 5/10/2014 12:52 PM, Doris Night wrote:

>>> I like a tiny bit of brown sugar mashed with my swede, as well.

>> Me too! But hold the swede.

> lol that's cheating)

Heh. Whatever it takes, all those vegetables are not for me,
as much as I love many other vegetables.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, lid
says...

> "sf" > wrote in message
> >
> > So marrow isn't a different plant after all, it's just a huge
> > zucchini.

http://lifehacker.com/the-difference...m=soc ialflow

> Pah I could have told you that <g>

Courgettes hadn't been invented when I was growing up so we only ever
had marrow.

And of course you can now by "baby" courgettes, which is a bit of an
enigma if you think about it too hard.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, lid
says...

> "sf" > wrote in message
> >
> > So marrow isn't a different plant after all, it's just a huge
> > zucchini.

http://lifehacker.com/the-difference...m=soc ialflow

> "Rutabaga (US) is sometimes referred to as swede (UK), but also called
> turnip or neep in some parts of the UK, particularly Scotland, depending on
> the variety and how it is prepared"
>
> No these are two different beasts I loathe turnip and for me, it flavours
> a whole dish and makes me feel ill!
>
> http://tinyurl.com/mdy4o2x
>
> Swede is different and I love it mashed with butter
>
> http://tinyurl.com/lrl25sq
>
> Both get referred to though as 'neeps')

Yes, I agree - same family but different things.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/10/2014 2:32 PM, Yellow wrote:
> In article >, lid
> says...
>>
>> "sf" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> So marrow isn't a different plant after all, it's just a huge
>>> zucchini.

http://lifehacker.com/the-difference...m=soc ialflow

>> Pah I could have told you that <g>

> Courgettes hadn't been invented when I was growing up so we only ever
> had marrow.
>
> And of course you can now by "baby" courgettes, which is a bit of an
> enigma if you think about it too hard.

Like baby portabellas. An overgrown mushroom, now they call the
smaller ones baby.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/10/2014 12:52 PM, Doris Night wrote:
> On Sat, 10 May 2014 17:05:21 +0100, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>

>> "sf" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> So marrow isn't a different plant after all, it's just a huge
>>> zucchini.
>>> http://lifehacker.com/the-difference...m=soc ialflow

>> "Rutabaga (US) is sometimes referred to as swede (UK), but also called
>> turnip or neep in some parts of the UK, particularly Scotland, depending on
>> the variety and how it is prepared"
>>
>> No these are two different beasts I loathe turnip and for me, it flavours
>> a whole dish and makes me feel ill!
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/mdy4o2x
>>
>> Swede is different and I love it mashed with butter
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/lrl25sq
>>
>> Both get referred to though as 'neeps')

> I like a tiny bit of brown sugar mashed with my swede, as well.
>
> Doris

Despite being brought up in Scotland, I don't care if I never see
turnips or Swedes again; I know they are different.

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not." in Reply To.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
> On 5/10/2014 1:03 PM, Ophelia wrote:

>>> Me too! But hold the swede.

>> lol that's cheating)

> Heh. Whatever it takes, all those vegetables are not for me,
> as much as I love many other vegetables.

There is a lot there I wouldn't eat either)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 10 May 2014 14:55:38 -0400, James Silverton
> wrote:

>On 5/10/2014 12:52 PM, Doris Night wrote:
>> On Sat, 10 May 2014 17:05:21 +0100, "Ophelia"
>> > wrote:

>>> "Rutabaga (US) is sometimes referred to as swede (UK), but also called
>>> turnip or neep in some parts of the UK, particularly Scotland, depending on
>>> the variety and how it is prepared"
>>>
>>> No these are two different beasts I loathe turnip and for me, it flavours
>>> a whole dish and makes me feel ill!
>>>
>>> http://tinyurl.com/mdy4o2x
>>>
>>> Swede is different and I love it mashed with butter
>>>
>>> http://tinyurl.com/lrl25sq
>>>
>>> Both get referred to though as 'neeps')

>> I like a tiny bit of brown sugar mashed with my swede, as well.
>>
>> Doris
>>

>Despite being brought up in Scotland, I don't care if I never see
>turnips or Swedes again; I know they are different.

I like raw rutabaga as crudites, coose your favorite dip.
Rutabaga is also good fried:

Rutabaga Fries
Ingredients

1 large rutabaga (1 lb.), peeled and cut into French fry-sized sticks
1-2 tbsp olive oil
1 1/2 tsp smoked sweet paprika
2 tsp onion granules
1 tsp garlic granules
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 tsp freshly cracked black pepper

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 400°F.

2. Place the peeled and sliced rutabaga in a large bowl and add the
remaining ingredients, tossing everything together until the fries are
thoroughly coated with the seasonings and olive oil.

3. On a parchment-lined baking sheet, spread the fries out in a
single layer and place the sheet in the oven for 25 minutes, or until
the fries have turned a golden colour with browned edges. Flip the
fries once halfway through cooking with a spatula or fork.

4. Remove from the oven and serve immediately with whatever dipping
sauces you like.
---
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Yellow" > wrote in message
T...
> In article >, lid
> says...
>>
>> "sf" > wrote in message
>> >
>> > So marrow isn't a different plant after all, it's just a huge
>> > zucchini.

http://lifehacker.com/the-difference...m=soc ialflow

>> Pah I could have told you that <g>

> Courgettes hadn't been invented when I was growing up so we only ever
> had marrow.
>
> And of course you can now by "baby" courgettes, which is a bit of an
> enigma if you think about it too hard.

Or even if you don't ... ;-)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"James Silverton" > wrote in message
> On 5/10/2014 12:52 PM, Doris Night wrote:
>> On Sat, 10 May 2014 17:05:21 +0100, "Ophelia"
>> > wrote:

>>> "Rutabaga (US) is sometimes referred to as swede (UK), but also called
>>> turnip or neep in some parts of the UK, particularly Scotland, depending
>>> on
>>> the variety and how it is prepared"
>>>
>>> No these are two different beasts I loathe turnip and for me, it
>>> flavours
>>> a whole dish and makes me feel ill!
>>>
>>> http://tinyurl.com/mdy4o2x
>>>
>>> Swede is different and I love it mashed with butter
>>>
>>> http://tinyurl.com/lrl25sq
>>>
>>> Both get referred to though as 'neeps')

>> I like a tiny bit of brown sugar mashed with my swede, as well.
>>
>> Doris
>>

> Despite being brought up in Scotland, I don't care if I never see turnips
> or Swedes again; I know they are different.

<G> can't say I blame you)
--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Senior Member

Location: Foat Wuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf[_9_] View Post
So marrow isn't a different plant after all, it's just a huge
zucchini.
The Differences Between American and International Cooking Vocabulary

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 10 May 2014 12:54:17 -0400, Doris Night
> wrote:

> On Sat, 10 May 2014 08:17:05 -0700, sf > wrote:
>

> >So marrow isn't a different plant after all, it's just a huge
> >zucchini.
> >http://lifehacker.com/the-difference...m=soc ialflow

> I've been watching Australian cooking shows on TV lately, and have
> discovered that a chicken leg+thigh piece is called a "Maryland" in
> Oz. Never heard of that before.

Me either! One of my friends moved to Australia and has been there
for a few years now. I'll ask her if she's heard that one.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 10 May 2014 17:05:21 +0100, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

>"Rutabaga (US) is sometimes referred to as swede (UK), but also called
>turnip or neep in some parts of the UK, particularly Scotland, depending on
>the variety and how it is prepared"
>
>No these are two different beasts I loathe turnip and for me, it flavours
>a whole dish and makes me feel ill!

Yes, they're two entirely different things. Don't mind the occasional
swede in my stews.

>http://tinyurl.com/mdy4o2x
>
>Swede is different and I love it mashed with butter

Yum...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 10 May 2014 12:54:17 -0400, Doris Night
> > wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 10 May 2014 08:17:05 -0700, sf > wrote:
>>

>> >So marrow isn't a different plant after all, it's just a huge
>> >zucchini.
>> >http://lifehacker.com/the-difference...m=soc ialflow

>> I've been watching Australian cooking shows on TV lately, and have
>> discovered that a chicken leg+thigh piece is called a "Maryland" in
>> Oz. Never heard of that before.
>>

> Me either! One of my friends moved to Australia and has been there
> for a few years now. I'll ask her if she's heard that one.

I've always known what Chicken Maryland was but thought it was the manner of
cooking the chicken leg and thigh piece not the name of the meat.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 10 May 2014 12:54:17 -0400, Doris Night
> wrote:

>I've been watching Australian cooking shows on TV lately, and have
>discovered that a chicken leg+thigh piece is called a "Maryland" in
>Oz. Never heard of that before.

It's a really good cut for things like apricot chicken and I used to
see 'maryland' in all the shops, very very common in Aus.
Since moving off the mainland though I've not seen it for some reason.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jeßus" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 10 May 2014 12:54:17 -0400, Doris Night
> > wrote:
>
>>I've been watching Australian cooking shows on TV lately, and have
>>discovered that a chicken leg+thigh piece is called a "Maryland" in
>>Oz. Never heard of that before.

> It's a really good cut for things like apricot chicken and I used to
> see 'maryland' in all the shops, very very common in Aus.
> Since moving off the mainland though I've not seen it for some reason.

Why do you need it? I suspect you cut up your own chicken as do I.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 10 May 2014 22:29:56 +0100, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

>"Jeßus" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Sat, 10 May 2014 12:54:17 -0400, Doris Night
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>I've been watching Australian cooking shows on TV lately, and have
>>>discovered that a chicken leg+thigh piece is called a "Maryland" in
>>>Oz. Never heard of that before.

>> It's a really good cut for things like apricot chicken and I used to
>> see 'maryland' in all the shops, very very common in Aus.
>> Since moving off the mainland though I've not seen it for some reason.

>Why do you need it? I suspect you cut up your own chicken as do I.

I don't need it as such these days, but just an observation on my
part. I used to see maryland cuts all the time, just as frequently as
drumsticks, legs, breast or thigh. Now it seems to have disappeared,
at least here in Tas anyway.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jeßus" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 10 May 2014 22:29:56 +0100, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>
>>"Jeßus" > wrote in message
. ..
>>> On Sat, 10 May 2014 12:54:17 -0400, Doris Night

>>> It's a really good cut for things like apricot chicken and I used to
>>> see 'maryland' in all the shops, very very common in Aus.
>>> Since moving off the mainland though I've not seen it for some reason.

>>Why do you need it? I suspect you cut up your own chicken as do I.

> I don't need it as such these days, but just an observation on my
> part. I used to see maryland cuts all the time, just as frequently as
> drumsticks, legs, breast or thigh. Now it seems to have disappeared,
> at least here in Tas anyway.

OK, not something I really look for.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 10 May 2014 22:21:23 +0100, "Ophelia"

As in "Maryland Fried Chicken"? http://www.marylandfriedchicken.com/

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 10 May 2014 21:29:33 +0100, bigwheel
> wrote:

>'sf[_9_ Wrote:
>> ;1929587']So marrow isn't a different plant after all, it's just a huge
>> zucchini.
>> 'The Differences Between American and International Cooking Vocabulary'
>> (http://tinyurl.com/ks2bnb3)
>>

>> --
>>
>> Good Food.
>> Good Friends.
>> Good Memories.

>Hello Old Chap. Marrow comes from inside of bones. What are yall smoking
>over there in Merry Olde England? I have kin over there left over from
>the Big War. Be careful not to run over in old fat red headed guys.
>Thats my brother.

Jesus *christ* you're an idiot. But then, you're posting from
foodbanter... so that's a given.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 10 May 2014 08:17:05 -0700, sf > wrote:

>So marrow isn't a different plant after all, it's just a huge
>zucchini.
>http://lifehacker.com/the-difference...m=soc ialflow

Here's a long list that a friend keyed in for me. It is from A Feast of
Scotland by Janet Warren and other sources.

http://paleofood.com/recipes/convert...okingterms.htm

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 10 May 2014 22:39:30 -0400, Don Wiss >
wrote:

> On Sat, 10 May 2014 08:17:05 -0700, sf > wrote:
>
> >So marrow isn't a different plant after all, it's just a huge
> >zucchini.
> >http://lifehacker.com/the-difference...m=soc ialflow

> Here's a long list that a friend keyed in for me. It is from A Feast of
> Scotland by Janet Warren and other sources.
>
> http://paleofood.com/recipes/convert...okingterms.htm

Thank you! I didn't get very far before I saw

Broad beans Fava, lima or java beans

Favas and limas are two completely different beans... no idea what a
java bean is - coffee?

and

Bully beef Corned beef

Okay, Ophelia... have you been holding out on us?

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, May 10, 2014 7:39:30 PM UTC-7, Don Wiss wrote:

> Here's a long list that a friend keyed in for me. It is from A Feast of
> Scotland by Janet Warren and other sources.
>

> http://paleofood.com/recipes/convert...okingterms.htm

Always puzzled me that Brits used the French names (courgettes, aubergines)
for what I think of as Italian vegetables (zucchini, eggplant). Why not
melanzane?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message

> So marrow isn't a different plant after all, it's just a huge
> zucchini.
> http://lifehacker.com/the-difference...m=soc ialflow

You are just now realizing this? And I don't think it necessarily has to be
huge.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 10 May 2014 20:41:32 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Sat, 10 May 2014 22:39:30 -0400, Don Wiss wrote:
>> Here's a long list that a friend keyed in for me. It is from A Feast of
>> Scotland by Janet Warren and other sources.
>>
>> http://paleofood.com/recipes/convert...okingterms.htm
>>

>Thank you! I didn't get very far before I saw
>
>Broad beans Fava, lima or java beans
>
>Favas and limas are two completely different beans... no idea what a
>java bean is - coffee?

So I decided I would hunt them down. It was not easy. Java beans is the
name for software, and that appears like a million times in Google. With a
lot of negative words I found this page from the Royal Highland and
Agricultural Society of Scotland:

http://books.google.com/books?id=I6o...ge &q&f=false

It says that java beans are the uncultivated variety of Phaseolus lunatus.
Burma beans are the cultivated variety. The scientific name for lima beans:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phaseolus_lunatus

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, May 11, 2014 2:48:43 PM UTC+10, Don Wiss wrote:

> It says that java beans are the uncultivated variety of Phaseolus lunatus..
> Burma beans are the cultivated variety. The scientific name for lima beans:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phaseolus_lunatus

Meanwhile, broad beans (fava beans) are Vicia faba, an old Old World domesticate, while lima beans are New World. Different flavour, too, so I wouldn't consider limas a good substitute for broad beans.

The list is mostly OK, but there are various errors and half-errors. E.g., clotted cream (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cream for clotted cream); "mixed spice" is not "allspice", allspice is pimento (the Caribbean round spice), while mixed spice is a mix of different spices; "strong flour" is high-gluten flour (i.e., baker's flour or bread flour); powder "prove" can mean "rise", but is also used to mean to test the yeast for viability before adding it to the dough ("prove" = "test"); see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proofing_(baking_technique)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 11 May 2014 00:48:43 -0400, Don Wiss >
wrote:

> On Sat, 10 May 2014 20:41:32 -0700, sf > wrote:
>
> >On Sat, 10 May 2014 22:39:30 -0400, Don Wiss wrote:
> >> Here's a long list that a friend keyed in for me. It is from A Feast of
> >> Scotland by Janet Warren and other sources.
> >>
> >> http://paleofood.com/recipes/convert...okingterms.htm
> >>

> >Thank you! I didn't get very far before I saw
> >
> >Broad beans Fava, lima or java beans
> >
> >Favas and limas are two completely different beans... no idea what a
> >java bean is - coffee?

> So I decided I would hunt them down. It was not easy. Java beans is the
> name for software, and that appears like a million times in Google. With a
> lot of negative words I found this page from the Royal Highland and
> Agricultural Society of Scotland:
>
> http://books.google.com/books?id=I6o...ge &q&f=false
>
> It says that java beans are the uncultivated variety of Phaseolus lunatus.
> Burma beans are the cultivated variety. The scientific name for lima beans:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phaseolus_lunatus

Thank you for doing that sleuthing. I didn't get past all the
software references. Wondering why they would name fava beans once
and lima beans twice? That's rhetorical, I don't expect an answer.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 10 May 2014 21:10:34 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

> On Saturday, May 10, 2014 7:39:30 PM UTC-7, Don Wiss wrote:
>
> > Here's a long list that a friend keyed in for me. It is from A Feast of
> > Scotland by Janet Warren and other sources.

http://paleofood.com/recipes/convert...okingterms.htm

> Always puzzled me that Brits used the French names (courgettes, aubergines)
> for what I think of as Italian vegetables (zucchini, eggplant). Why not
> melanzane?

Does "1066" ring any bells? England was invaded by the French, and
afterwards the "English" aristocracy was of French heritage and spoke
French. The real English people (Anglos) were merchants and farmers.

IMO: French words filtered down to the ordinary people over the years
because it was (obviously) "posh" to sound French.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brooklyn1 > wrote in
:

> "Ophelia" wrote:
>>"sf" wrote:
>>>
>>> So marrow isn't a different plant after all, it's just a huge
>>> zucchini.
>>> http://lifehacker.com/the-difference...nd-american-co
>>> oking-vo-1574080813?utm_campaign=socialflow_lifehacker_face book&utm_s
>>> ource=lifehacker_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

>>Pah I could have told you that <g>

> Pah I could have demonstrated! <g>
> Caution (XXXX Rated):
> http://i60.tinypic.com/25f7gw7.jpg

More like PG in my opinion, but nice looking crop of veggies...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 10 May 2014 21:21:22 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> >
> > So marrow isn't a different plant after all, it's just a huge
> > zucchini.
> > http://lifehacker.com/the-difference...m=soc ialflow
> >

> You are just now realizing this? And I don't think it necessarily has to be
> huge.

When I was trying to figure it out, I Googled images of marrows that
were half the size of a full grown man and the text with the images
led me to think that marrow was a different plant. I've inquired here
plus another group more than once asking if marrow and zucchini were
the same and have been told they are different. They don't seem to
know what a pumpkin really is either and don't get me started on their
use of the word "pudding".

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 10 May 2014 22:21:23 +0100, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>

>> "sf" > wrote in message
>> > On Sat, 10 May 2014 12:54:17 -0400, Doris Night

>> > Me either! One of my friends moved to Australia and has been there
>> > for a few years now. I'll ask her if she's heard that one.

>> I've always known what Chicken Maryland was but thought it was the manner
>> of
>> cooking the chicken leg and thigh piece not the name of the meat.

> As in "Maryland Fried Chicken"? http://www.marylandfriedchicken.com/

That's the one)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Don Wiss" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 10 May 2014 08:17:05 -0700, sf > wrote:
>
>>So marrow isn't a different plant after all, it's just a huge
>>zucchini.
>>http://lifehacker.com/the-difference...m=soc ialflow

> Here's a long list that a friend keyed in for me. It is from A Feast of
> Scotland by Janet Warren and other sources.
>
> http://paleofood.com/recipes/convert...okingterms.htm

Aye, they are all good))

O in Scotland)

--