Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Easter Pie (Italian, savory)

My husband's family makes this for Easter. The theory being that you make a
ton of them and following the big fast, you go from home to home, sampling
how their family makes theirs and they will give you one to take home.
Since people don't tend to do that here, I will attempt to make just one.

His family's pie has no crust but it does contain cooked ditalini (tiny
pasta) in it. There are tons of chopped meats and cheeses, and eggs like
you would make for scrambling. I think there also may be chopped hard
boiled eggs. Can't remember. I only ever made it once and it was a lot of
work with all that chopping.

I have done numerous searched online and did not turn up much. Most of the
Easter pie recipes are for dessert pies. I did find one once and made it.
He said it was okay but I know it did not have as many kinds of meats and
cheeses and it didn't contain pasta but I did add some.

This type of pie is best served cold. It's very dense, very rich and very
filling. Anyone? Thanks!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I finally found a very similar recipe if anyone is interested! The family
recipe did have some white pepper in it (I used black) and did have a little
pasta which would be easy enough to add. No crust. I think I will be
making this!

http://www.mademan.com/mm/italian-ea...ie-recipe.html

Now if I could just find some tuma cheese. I left it out initially. SIL
told me it was disgusting and just to add some other cheese. I didn't know
what I was looking for. Apparently it's a soft cheese, sort of like
ricotta. I've still not seen it but haven't looked except for the one time
I made it.
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> My husband's family makes this for Easter. The theory being that you make
> a ton of them and following the big fast, you go from home to home,
> sampling how their family makes theirs and they will give you one to take
> home. Since people don't tend to do that here, I will attempt to make just
> one.
>
> His family's pie has no crust but it does contain cooked ditalini (tiny
> pasta) in it. There are tons of chopped meats and cheeses, and eggs like
> you would make for scrambling. I think there also may be chopped hard
> boiled eggs. Can't remember. I only ever made it once and it was a lot
> of work with all that chopping.
>
> I have done numerous searched online and did not turn up much. Most of
> the Easter pie recipes are for dessert pies. I did find one once and made
> it. He said it was okay but I know it did not have as many kinds of meats
> and cheeses and it didn't contain pasta but I did add some.
>
> This type of pie is best served cold. It's very dense, very rich and very
> filling. Anyone? Thanks!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove > wrote:

> I have done numerous searched online and did not turn up much. Most of the
> Easter pie recipes are for dessert pies. I did find one once and made it.
> He said it was okay but I know it did not have as many kinds of meats and
> cheeses and it didn't contain pasta but I did add some.
>
> This type of pie is best served cold. It's very dense, very rich and very
> filling. Anyone? Thanks!

In case you want something half way authentic, look up Torta Pasqualina
or Torta di Pasquetta -there are some English translations. Traditional
recipes do not include any kind of pasta, meats or seafood, though there
are some such modern recipes now.
The main ingredients are dough (traditionally 33 layers, as in Christ's
years - this is rare to encounter nowadays), eggs (traditionally 12, for
the number of apostles), and greens (traditionally chard or beet greens,
but spinach and artichokes are used often enough now).

Here are a couple of examples from serious sources:
<http://www.visitgenoa.it/en/torta-pasqualina-easter-tart>
<http://www.academiabarilla.com/italian-recipes/appetizers-vegetables/easter-cake-torta-pasqualina.aspx>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Victor Sack" > wrote in message
.. .
> Julie Bove > wrote:
>
>> I have done numerous searched online and did not turn up much. Most of
>> the
>> Easter pie recipes are for dessert pies. I did find one once and made
>> it.
>> He said it was okay but I know it did not have as many kinds of meats and
>> cheeses and it didn't contain pasta but I did add some.
>>
>> This type of pie is best served cold. It's very dense, very rich and
>> very
>> filling. Anyone? Thanks!

> In case you want something half way authentic, look up Torta Pasqualina
> or Torta di Pasquetta -there are some English translations. Traditional
> recipes do not include any kind of pasta, meats or seafood, though there
> are some such modern recipes now.
> The main ingredients are dough (traditionally 33 layers, as in Christ's
> years - this is rare to encounter nowadays), eggs (traditionally 12, for
> the number of apostles), and greens (traditionally chard or beet greens,
> but spinach and artichokes are used often enough now).
>
> Here are a couple of examples from serious sources:
> <http://www.visitgenoa.it/en/torta-pasqualina-easter-tart>
> <http://www.academiabarilla.com/italian-recipes/appetizers-vegetables/easter-cake-torta-pasqualina.aspx>

Thanks! I have seen such. But this isn't so much layered as it is all
mixed together.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"The Other Guy" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 7 Apr 2014 14:25:06 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:

>>> In case you want something half way authentic, look up Torta Pasqualina
>>> or Torta di Pasquetta -there are some English translations. Traditional
>>> recipes do not include any kind of pasta, meats or seafood, though there
>>> are some such modern recipes now.
>>> The main ingredients are dough (traditionally 33 layers, as in Christ's
>>> years - this is rare to encounter nowadays), eggs (traditionally 12, for
>>> the number of apostles), and greens (traditionally chard or beet greens,
>>> but spinach and artichokes are used often enough now).
>>>
>>> Here are a couple of examples from serious sources:
>>> <http://www.visitgenoa.it/en/torta-pasqualina-easter-tart>
>>> <http://www.academiabarilla.com/italian-recipes/appetizers-vegetables/easter-cake-torta-pasqualina.aspx>

>>Thanks! I have seen such. But this isn't so much layered as it is all
>>mixed together.

> First link I came up with (NOT using Google)
>
> http://www.browneyedbaker.com/2013/0...er-pie-recipe/
>
> Then there are these..
>
> http://www.cooks.com/rec/story/164/
> http://www.food.com/recipe/italian-e...pie-quot-59847
> http://www.inmamaskitchen.com/FOOD_I...aster_pie.html

Oooh! Thanks! Sicilians make it with macaroni. And they are in fact
Sicilian. That would explain the Ditalini. I did buy that today. Thought
I would have a hard time finding it because a few years ago was at another
store where they had never heard of it and the poor customer said she had
been all over. I directed her to Central Market which is probably where I
will go for the meats and cheeses but at least I have one thing! I wonder
if these pies will freeze?