Recipes (alt.food.recipes) An alternative recipe newsgroup. For the posting and sharing of recipes.

Tim

Default Savory Neapolitan Easter Bread

Savory Neapolitan Easter Bread

I have been making an Easter Bread from Naples called Casatiello for about

20

years. It and the goat are my staples for an Easter meal. The bread takes

forever but it is worth it. I was never given a recipe, just an

explanation by a

couple of guys from Napoli. So that is the best I can do here.

a basic bread dough

fresh cracked pepper

1/4 lb each of chopped up salami and pancetta

prosciutto

Pecorino Romano or Parmigiano

5 eggs

Make a basic bread dough, whatever you like except double the yeast. Let

it rise until double. Punch down and roll out into a large square (about

30" x 30"). Spread on some lard (I have no idea on the amount but a good

guestimate would be 225g/half pound) and sprinkle with a lot of fresh

cracked pepper. Now add 1/4 lb each of chopped up salami and pancetta and

a little bit of chopped up prosciutto. Sprinkle with coarsely grated

Pecorino Romano or Parmigiano. Roll up into a tube. Grease an angel food

cake pan with lard and place tube inside (forming a ring). Lay 5 eggs

(wash them but do not boil them first) on top and top with a criss cross

of dough (2 strips of dough, forming an X, laid on top to hold down the

eggs). Let rise for another hour or more (again, should be more than

doubled). When ready, place in oven at 375 - 400 F (185-200 C) until the

top is nice and brown and looks ready. This normally takes about an hour

to an hour and a half. The smell in your house should tell you it is ready

(my mouth starts watering and I know it is time :-) Now the hard part.

Let bread cool. Place in a paper bag (NOT PLASTIC) and leave it for the

following day (do not refrigerate). It really needs a day to get full

flavor. Leftover is great toasted the following day or even topped with a

mild cheese and tomato slices and toasted in the oven.

--

Rec.food.recipes is moderated by Patricia Hill at .

Archives:
http://www.cdkitchen.com/rfr/ http://recipes.alastra.com/