Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Easter Pie/Italian Savory

Do you make this? My husband's family makes it but they don't put a crust
on it. I was watching a rerun of Cake Boss last night and they made it but
called it Cold Cut Pie. They did theirs in a huge rectangle with a flaky
crust and it looked like they used sliced meats. My husband's family does
theirs as rounds and the recipe makes many rounds, depending on what size.

I don't have the actual recipe but I know there are eggs that hold it
together. I believe there are also chopped hard boiled eggs, many kinds of
cheese, cooked Italian sausage and many kinds of cold cuts, chopped and
ditalini (sp?) a tiny pasta.

I was looking up a recipe online and it called for very thinly sliced cold
cuts and fresh cheese. The fresh cheese had to be thinly sliced as well and
inserted between the layers of cold cuts. It said if you didn't do this it
would be inedible. Not sure why.

My husband's family recipe isn't that picky. But it is very time consuming
given the amount that it makes and all the cooking and chopping you have to
do. When I made it I scaled it back so that I had two large pies. But I
was told this is not the correct way to do it. Supposedly it is served at
Easter as a way to break the fast. You are supposed to go visiting. Each
person you visit will give you a piece of their pie to taste and also a pie
to take home. Apparently each family has their own recipe and they are all
different.

Do you make such a pie? What do you put in yours?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote:
> Do you make this? My husband's family makes it but they don't put a crust
> on it. I was watching a rerun of Cake Boss last night and they made it but
> called it Cold Cut Pie. They did theirs in a huge rectangle with a flaky
> crust and it looked like they used sliced meats. My husband's family does
> theirs as rounds and the recipe makes many rounds, depending on what size.
>
> I don't have the actual recipe but I know there are eggs that hold it
> together. I believe there are also chopped hard boiled eggs, many kinds of
> cheese, cooked Italian sausage and many kinds of cold cuts, chopped and
> ditalini (sp?) a tiny pasta.
>
> I was looking up a recipe online and it called for very thinly sliced cold
> cuts and fresh cheese. The fresh cheese had to be thinly sliced as well and
> inserted between the layers of cold cuts. It said if you didn't do this it
> would be inedible. Not sure why.
>
> My husband's family recipe isn't that picky. But it is very time consuming
> given the amount that it makes and all the cooking and chopping you have to
> do. When I made it I scaled it back so that I had two large pies. But I
> was told this is not the correct way to do it. Supposedly it is served at
> Easter as a way to break the fast. You are supposed to go visiting. Each
> person you visit will give you a piece of their pie to taste and also a pie
> to take home. Apparently each family has their own recipe and they are all
> different.
>
> Do you make such a pie? What do you put in yours?

Is this a timballo?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 30, 2:08*pm, Andy > wrote:
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> > Do you make this? *My husband's family makes it but they don't put a
> > crust on it.

> Julie
>
> You're an awful windbag troll sometimes, claiming "I don't have the
> actual recipe."
>
> If it's your husband's family recipe. You should know it by heart!!!
>
> Geez!!!
>
> Andy

and you're an awful windbag as well....
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> Do you make this? My husband's family makes it but they don't put a crust
> on it. I was watching a rerun of Cake Boss last night and they made it
> but called it Cold Cut Pie. They did theirs in a huge rectangle with a
> flaky crust and it looked like they used sliced meats. My husband's
> family does theirs as rounds and the recipe makes many rounds, depending
> on what size.
>
> I don't have the actual recipe but I know there are eggs that hold it
> together. I believe there are also chopped hard boiled eggs, many kinds
> of cheese, cooked Italian sausage and many kinds of cold cuts, chopped and
> ditalini (sp?) a tiny pasta.
>
> I was looking up a recipe online and it called for very thinly sliced cold
> cuts and fresh cheese. The fresh cheese had to be thinly sliced as well
> and inserted between the layers of cold cuts. It said if you didn't do
> this it would be inedible. Not sure why.
>
> My husband's family recipe isn't that picky. But it is very time
> consuming given the amount that it makes and all the cooking and chopping
> you have to do. When I made it I scaled it back so that I had two large
> pies. But I was told this is not the correct way to do it. Supposedly it
> is served at Easter as a way to break the fast. You are supposed to go
> visiting. Each person you visit will give you a piece of their pie to
> taste and also a pie to take home. Apparently each family has their own
> recipe and they are all different.
>
> Do you make such a pie? What do you put in yours?

Pizza Chena?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Julie Bove" > wrote:

> Do you make this? My husband's family makes it but they don't put a crust
> on it. I was watching a rerun of Cake Boss last night and they made it but
> called it Cold Cut Pie. They did theirs in a huge rectangle with a flaky
> crust and it looked like they used sliced meats. My husband's family does
> theirs as rounds and the recipe makes many rounds, depending on what size.
>
> I don't have the actual recipe but I know there are eggs that hold it
> together. I believe there are also chopped hard boiled eggs, many kinds of
> cheese, cooked Italian sausage and many kinds of cold cuts, chopped and
> ditalini (sp?) a tiny pasta.
>
> I was looking up a recipe online and it called for very thinly sliced cold
> cuts and fresh cheese. The fresh cheese had to be thinly sliced as well and
> inserted between the layers of cold cuts. It said if you didn't do this it
> would be inedible. Not sure why.
>
> My husband's family recipe isn't that picky. But it is very time consuming
> given the amount that it makes and all the cooking and chopping you have to
> do. When I made it I scaled it back so that I had two large pies. But I
> was told this is not the correct way to do it. Supposedly it is served at
> Easter as a way to break the fast. You are supposed to go visiting. Each
> person you visit will give you a piece of their pie to taste and also a pie
> to take home. Apparently each family has their own recipe and they are all
> different.
>
> Do you make such a pie? What do you put in yours?

That sounds like 'pizza rustica'- Give that a google.

D.M.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:
> Julie
>
> You're an awful windbag troll sometimes, claiming "I don't have the
> actual recipe."

Can you spell "Irony"?

C'mon. I know you can.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" > wrote in message ...
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>
>> Do you make this? My husband's family makes it but they don't put a
>> crust on it.

> Julie
>
> You're an awful windbag troll sometimes, claiming "I don't have the
> actual recipe."
>
> If it's your husband's family recipe. You should know it by heart!!!
>
> Geez!!!

I only made it once. I had assumed it would always be at his parent's
house. But then they sold that house and got rid of a lot of stuff. Nobody
knows where the recipe is now. I have made something that sounded similar
from a recipe I found online. My husband said it was good. Also from what
I was told, theirs never came out the same way twice. They mainly made it
with whatever they had in the house. I know the recipe called for Tuma
cheese, yet they said they never put it in! So that's kind of weird. I
also get the feeling they don't want me to know the actual recipe because
I'm not one of "them".

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Pico Rico" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>> Do you make this? My husband's family makes it but they don't put a
>> crust on it. I was watching a rerun of Cake Boss last night and they
>> made it but called it Cold Cut Pie. They did theirs in a huge rectangle
>> with a flaky crust and it looked like they used sliced meats. My
>> husband's family does theirs as rounds and the recipe makes many rounds,
>> depending on what size.
>>
>> I don't have the actual recipe but I know there are eggs that hold it
>> together. I believe there are also chopped hard boiled eggs, many kinds
>> of cheese, cooked Italian sausage and many kinds of cold cuts, chopped
>> and ditalini (sp?) a tiny pasta.
>>
>> I was looking up a recipe online and it called for very thinly sliced
>> cold cuts and fresh cheese. The fresh cheese had to be thinly sliced as
>> well and inserted between the layers of cold cuts. It said if you didn't
>> do this it would be inedible. Not sure why.
>>
>> My husband's family recipe isn't that picky. But it is very time
>> consuming given the amount that it makes and all the cooking and chopping
>> you have to do. When I made it I scaled it back so that I had two large
>> pies. But I was told this is not the correct way to do it. Supposedly
>> it is served at Easter as a way to break the fast. You are supposed to
>> go visiting. Each person you visit will give you a piece of their pie to
>> taste and also a pie to take home. Apparently each family has their own
>> recipe and they are all different.
>>
>> Do you make such a pie? What do you put in yours?

> Pizza Chena?

Sorry, I don't know what that is.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Don Martinich" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>
>> Do you make this? My husband's family makes it but they don't put a
>> crust
>> on it. I was watching a rerun of Cake Boss last night and they made it
>> but
>> called it Cold Cut Pie. They did theirs in a huge rectangle with a flaky
>> crust and it looked like they used sliced meats. My husband's family
>> does
>> theirs as rounds and the recipe makes many rounds, depending on what
>> size.
>>
>> I don't have the actual recipe but I know there are eggs that hold it
>> together. I believe there are also chopped hard boiled eggs, many kinds
>> of
>> cheese, cooked Italian sausage and many kinds of cold cuts, chopped and
>> ditalini (sp?) a tiny pasta.
>>
>> I was looking up a recipe online and it called for very thinly sliced
>> cold
>> cuts and fresh cheese. The fresh cheese had to be thinly sliced as well
>> and
>> inserted between the layers of cold cuts. It said if you didn't do this
>> it
>> would be inedible. Not sure why.
>>
>> My husband's family recipe isn't that picky. But it is very time
>> consuming
>> given the amount that it makes and all the cooking and chopping you have
>> do. When I made it I scaled it back so that I had two large pies. But I
>> was told this is not the correct way to do it. Supposedly it is served
>> at
>> Easter as a way to break the fast. You are supposed to go visiting.
>> Each
>> person you visit will give you a piece of their pie to taste and also a
>> pie
>> to take home. Apparently each family has their own recipe and they are
>> all
>> different.
>>
>> Do you make such a pie? What do you put in yours?

> That sounds like 'pizza rustica'- Give that a google.
>
> D.M.

I see Giada's recipe. This is nothing like that.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> Do you make this? My husband's family makes it but they don't put a crust
> on it. I was watching a rerun of Cake Boss last night and they made it
> but called it Cold Cut Pie. They did theirs in a huge rectangle with a
> flaky crust and it looked like they used sliced meats. My husband's
> family does theirs as rounds and the recipe makes many rounds, depending
> on what size.

This is two recipes mixed up. Torta di Pasqua is a cheese bread and very
good, if maybe not worth the trouble to make at home. Pizza Rustica is the
stacked up cured meats enclosed in a crust.

Here is an article by a friend of mine who runs an agriturismo down the road
a ways.
http://www.brigolante.com/blog/2010/...rta-di-pasqua/

She's married into an Italian family and has the "living Italian" thing
sewed up about as well as it can be done.

http://www.magieincucina.com/2010/03/pizza-rustica/
is just one of the versions I found by Googling. They vary a great deal.
The ones I have seen ion the US are usually very tall and sold by the slice.
This one is more cheesy than usual and not at all tall, presumably to
providea quantity a family can consume.

Another is he
http://www.reluctantgourmet.com/lcrustic.htm and is very different.

People don't make these things at home very much anymore, but if they do
they use the family recipe. There is a different recipe for every family,
so if you don't get the one from yours, you'll never find it elsewhere.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Giusi" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>> Do you make this? My husband's family makes it but they don't put a
>> crust on it. I was watching a rerun of Cake Boss last night and they
>> made it but called it Cold Cut Pie. They did theirs in a huge rectangle
>> with a flaky crust and it looked like they used sliced meats. My
>> husband's family does theirs as rounds and the recipe makes many rounds,
>> depending on what size.

> This is two recipes mixed up. Torta di Pasqua is a cheese bread and very
> good, if maybe not worth the trouble to make at home. Pizza Rustica is
> the stacked up cured meats enclosed in a crust.
>
> Here is an article by a friend of mine who runs an agriturismo down the
> road a ways.
> http://www.brigolante.com/blog/2010/...rta-di-pasqua/
>
> She's married into an Italian family and has the "living Italian" thing
> sewed up about as well as it can be done.
>
> http://www.magieincucina.com/2010/03/pizza-rustica/
> is just one of the versions I found by Googling. They vary a great deal.
> The ones I have seen ion the US are usually very tall and sold by the
> slice. This one is more cheesy than usual and not at all tall, presumably
> to providea quantity a family can consume.
>
> Another is he
> http://www.reluctantgourmet.com/lcrustic.htm and is very different.
>
> People don't make these things at home very much anymore, but if they do
> they use the family recipe. There is a different recipe for every family,
> so if you don't get the one from yours, you'll never find it elsewhere.

Interesting. I know my husband's family puts little bits of pasta in theirs
which is likely why they don't use a crust. There are meats, cheeses and
eggs and I think some of the eggs are hard cooked, chopped and mixed in.
The only person I know of who has made this recipe before would no longer
have it. Her husband divorced her and the family wants nothing to do with
her. I am still in contact with her. My MIL is in a nursing home now and
can't write or really hold a conversation due to medical problems. So she
might remember how to make it but she isn't able to relate it to me.

I don't think my other SIL ever made it. She did try some of their
Christmas recipes once but at least at that point in time didn't know how to
cook much. Her husband said she tried but the taste just wasn't the same.

I think part of it is that my husband's grandma really didn't like to cook.
People said she was a good cook and they loved her food. But she told me
that she took any shortcuts she could. Such as using instant mashed
potatoes. So it is likely that even though she wrote down the family recipe
on a card, she may not have actually followed it. She also had very bad
handwriting and the best I could do when it came to some ingredients was to
guess what they were. I did ask around but didn't get much help from anyone
except not to buy the Tuma cheese and that the one word I couldn't make out
was Ditalini.

When I made these pies, I used the pie pans that my MIL told me to use. At
that point in time she could still speak and be understood. The pans may
have been Pennsylvania Dutch in origin. They were different than anything I
would recognize as a pie pan. They were made of ceramic and were huge! Not
just big around but quite deep as well. Even though I scaled back the
recipe, and there were two pies, those pies were huge! They were also
served cold.

I have only made the pies once here. I didn't taste them because I didn't
like the stuff at all. It was far too rich for me. I am not a big meat
eater and don't like eggs. But now I am allergic to eggs so I couldn't
taste it anyway. My family was pretty much less than thrilled with the pies
I made. My husband did say they were good. But he was really the only one
who ate them. The others just took a taste.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> "Giusi" > wrote in message

> Interesting. I know my husband's family puts little bits of pasta in
> theirs which is likely why they don't use a crust. There are meats,
> cheeses and eggs and I think some of the eggs are hard cooked, chopped and
> mixed in.

Then that is more pasticcio di Pasqua, another different thing. Look at
these photos and you can see that no one follows the exact recipe because
there isn't one.
http://www.google.it/search?q=pastic...w=1152&bih=626

I think you could make any of the ones found in these searches and they
would be good. Just realize that none of these names mean exactly the same
thing to anyone.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Don Martinich" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>
>> Do you make this? My husband's family makes it but they don't put a
>> crust
>> on it. I was watching a rerun of Cake Boss last night and they made it
>> but
>> called it Cold Cut Pie. They did theirs in a huge rectangle with a flaky
>> crust and it looked like they used sliced meats. My husband's family
>> does
>> theirs as rounds and the recipe makes many rounds, depending on what
>> size.
>>
>> I don't have the actual recipe but I know there are eggs that hold it
>> together. I believe there are also chopped hard boiled eggs, many kinds
>> of
>> cheese, cooked Italian sausage and many kinds of cold cuts, chopped and
>> ditalini (sp?) a tiny pasta.
>>
>> I was looking up a recipe online and it called for very thinly sliced
>> cold
>> cuts and fresh cheese. The fresh cheese had to be thinly sliced as well
>> and
>> inserted between the layers of cold cuts. It said if you didn't do this
>> it
>> would be inedible. Not sure why.
>>
>> My husband's family recipe isn't that picky. But it is very time
>> consuming
>> given the amount that it makes and all the cooking and chopping you have
>> do. When I made it I scaled it back so that I had two large pies. But I
>> was told this is not the correct way to do it. Supposedly it is served
>> at
>> Easter as a way to break the fast. You are supposed to go visiting.
>> Each
>> person you visit will give you a piece of their pie to taste and also a
>> pie
>> to take home. Apparently each family has their own recipe and they are
>> all
>> different.
>>
>> Do you make such a pie? What do you put in yours?

> That sounds like 'pizza rustica'- Give that a google.

Yep this sounds like a good one, Julie!

http://italianfood.about.com/od/brea.../r/blr1968.htm

--
http://www.shop.helpforheros.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Giusi" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>> Do you make this? My husband's family makes it but they don't put a
>> crust on it. I was watching a rerun of Cake Boss last night and they
>> made it but called it Cold Cut Pie. They did theirs in a huge rectangle
>> with a flaky crust and it looked like they used sliced meats. My
>> husband's family does theirs as rounds and the recipe makes many rounds,
>> depending on what size.

> This is two recipes mixed up. Torta di Pasqua is a cheese bread and very
> good, if maybe not worth the trouble to make at home. Pizza Rustica is
> the stacked up cured meats enclosed in a crust.
>
> Here is an article by a friend of mine who runs an agriturismo down the
> road a ways.
> http://www.brigolante.com/blog/2010/...rta-di-pasqua/

LOL I love the ingredients list) Time for you to get in there with your
measures?

--
http://www.shop.helpforheros.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Giusi" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>> "Giusi" > wrote in message

>> Interesting. I know my husband's family puts little bits of pasta in
>> theirs which is likely why they don't use a crust. There are meats,
>> cheeses and eggs and I think some of the eggs are hard cooked, chopped
>> and mixed in.

> Then that is more pasticcio di Pasqua, another different thing. Look at
> these photos and you can see that no one follows the exact recipe because
> there isn't one.
> http://www.google.it/search?q=pastic...w=1152&bih=626
>

> I think you could make any of the ones found in these searches and they
> would be good. Just realize that none of these names mean exactly the
> same thing to anyone.

Thanks!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "Don Martinich" > wrote in message
>> In article >,
>> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>>
>>> Do you make this? My husband's family makes it but they don't put a
>>> crust
>>> on it. I was watching a rerun of Cake Boss last night and they made it
>>> but
>>> called it Cold Cut Pie. They did theirs in a huge rectangle with a
>>> flaky
>>> crust and it looked like they used sliced meats. My husband's family
>>> does
>>> theirs as rounds and the recipe makes many rounds, depending on what
>>> size.
>>>
>>> I don't have the actual recipe but I know there are eggs that hold it
>>> together. I believe there are also chopped hard boiled eggs, many kinds
>>> of
>>> cheese, cooked Italian sausage and many kinds of cold cuts, chopped and
>>> ditalini (sp?) a tiny pasta.
>>>
>>> I was looking up a recipe online and it called for very thinly sliced
>>> cold
>>> cuts and fresh cheese. The fresh cheese had to be thinly sliced as well
>>> and
>>> inserted between the layers of cold cuts. It said if you didn't do this
>>> it
>>> would be inedible. Not sure why.
>>>
>>> My husband's family recipe isn't that picky. But it is very time
>>> consuming
>>> given the amount that it makes and all the cooking and chopping you have
>>> do. When I made it I scaled it back so that I had two large pies. But
>>> was told this is not the correct way to do it. Supposedly it is served
>>> at
>>> Easter as a way to break the fast. You are supposed to go visiting.
>>> Each
>>> person you visit will give you a piece of their pie to taste and also a
>>> pie
>>> to take home. Apparently each family has their own recipe and they are
>>> all
>>> different.
>>>
>>> Do you make such a pie? What do you put in yours?

>> That sounds like 'pizza rustica'- Give that a google.

> Yep this sounds like a good one, Julie!
>
> http://italianfood.about.com/od/brea.../r/blr1968.htm

Maybe but that is not like what they made. I know there was sausage in it
and I think ham. Am pretty sure it had hard boiled eggs as well as raw
ones. Several other types of cheese although I do think there was basket
cheese. And then the pasta. But no crust. The recipe did call for a crust
but they didn't use it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Ophelia" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Don Martinich" > wrote in message

>>> That sounds like 'pizza rustica'- Give that a google.

>> Yep this sounds like a good one, Julie!
>>
>> http://italianfood.about.com/od/brea.../r/blr1968.htm

> Maybe but that is not like what they made. I know there was sausage in it
> and I think ham. Am pretty sure it had hard boiled eggs as well as raw
> ones. Several other types of cheese although I do think there was basket
> cheese. And then the pasta. But no crust. The recipe did call for a
> crust but they didn't use it.

Are you trying to recreate the one from your family? From what I have read
about these, it differed from family to family and even the family one
wasn't always the same.

--
http://www.shop.helpforheros.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message

>>> Yep this sounds like a good one, Julie!
>>>
>>> http://italianfood.about.com/od/brea.../r/blr1968.htm

>> Maybe but that is not like what they made. I know there was sausage in
>> it and I think ham. Am pretty sure it had hard boiled eggs as well as
>> raw ones. Several other types of cheese although I do think there was
>> basket cheese. And then the pasta. But no crust. The recipe did call
>> for a crust but they didn't use it.

> Are you trying to recreate the one from your family? From what I have
> read about these, it differed from family to family and even the family
> one wasn't always the same.

Not really. As I said, my husband was the only one who really liked it.
Was just wondering how common they were because I have never heard of anyone
else eating them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Ophelia" > wrote in message

>>> Maybe but that is not like what they made. I know there was sausage in
>>> it and I think ham. Am pretty sure it had hard boiled eggs as well as
>>> raw ones. Several other types of cheese although I do think there was
>>> basket cheese. And then the pasta. But no crust. The recipe did call
>>> for a crust but they didn't use it.

>> Are you trying to recreate the one from your family? From what I have
>> read about these, it differed from family to family and even the family
>> one wasn't always the same.

> Not really. As I said, my husband was the only one who really liked it.
> Was just wondering how common they were because I have never heard of
> anyone else eating them.

Ahh well then I guess you have found your answer)

--
http://www.shop.helpforheros.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/30/2011 4:41 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> My husband's family recipe isn't that picky. But it is very time consuming
> given the amount that it makes and all the cooking and chopping you have to
> do. When I made it I scaled it back so that I had two large pies. But I
> was told this is not the correct way to do it. Supposedly it is served at
> Easter as a way to break the fast. You are supposed to go visiting. Each
> person you visit will give you a piece of their pie to taste and also a pie
> to take home. Apparently each family has their own recipe and they are all
> different.

I had never heard of it until I had Easter at my former inlaws for the
first time and someone brought the traditional pizza don. Okay, that's
what it sounded like to me but I think they were saying pizza grand.

No recipe, but thanks for the trip down memory lane.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/31/2011 8:04 AM, Nancy Young wrote:

> I had never heard of it until I had Easter at my former inlaws for the
> first time and someone brought the traditional pizza don. Okay, that's
> what it sounded like to me but I think they were saying pizza grand.

Following up to my own post (for some reason I think that's considered
rude), I got curious and googled around. I found mentions of
pizza gran, which makes more sense. Seems 'gran' isn't as in 'grand'
but in 'grain'.

"http://www.foodlivingandeverythingelse.com/2011/04/pizza-gran-meet-your-gluten-free-cousin.html"

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Pico Rico" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>> Do you make this? My husband's family makes it but they don't put a
>>> crust on it. I was watching a rerun of Cake Boss last night and they
>>> made it but called it Cold Cut Pie. They did theirs in a huge rectangle
>>> with a flaky crust and it looked like they used sliced meats. My
>>> husband's family does theirs as rounds and the recipe makes many rounds,
>>> depending on what size.
>>>
>>> I don't have the actual recipe but I know there are eggs that hold it
>>> together. I believe there are also chopped hard boiled eggs, many kinds
>>> of cheese, cooked Italian sausage and many kinds of cold cuts, chopped
>>> and ditalini (sp?) a tiny pasta.
>>>
>>> I was looking up a recipe online and it called for very thinly sliced
>>> cold cuts and fresh cheese. The fresh cheese had to be thinly sliced as
>>> well and inserted between the layers of cold cuts. It said if you didn't
>>> do this it would be inedible. Not sure why.
>>>
>>> My husband's family recipe isn't that picky. But it is very time
>>> consuming given the amount that it makes and all the cooking and
>>> chopping you have to do. When I made it I scaled it back so that I had
>>> two large pies. But I was told this is not the correct way to do it.
>>> Supposedly it is served at Easter as a way to break the fast. You are
>>> supposed to go visiting. Each person you visit will give you a piece of
>>> their pie to taste and also a pie to take home. Apparently each family
>>> has their own recipe and they are all different.
>>>
>>> Do you make such a pie? What do you put in yours?

>> Pizza Chena?

> Sorry, I don't know what that is.

Wow. You ask for info, I give a suggestion, and you say you don't know what
it is. Of course you don't! If you did, you wouldn't be seeking the info
in the first place. Search for a recipe using the term I suggested and get
back to us. Testa Quadra!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" <email@replyto> wrote in message
. com...
> On 8/31/2011 8:04 AM, Nancy Young wrote:
>
>> I had never heard of it until I had Easter at my former inlaws for the
>> first time and someone brought the traditional pizza don. Okay, that's
>> what it sounded like to me but I think they were saying pizza grand.

> Following up to my own post (for some reason I think that's considered
> rude),

Which I never did understand! All these arbitrary rules... pah! Anyone not
liking it can always ignore them eh?

--
http://www.shop.helpforheros.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/31/2011 10:32 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "Nancy Young" <email@replyto> wrote

>> Following up to my own post (for some reason I think that's considered
>> rude),

> Which I never did understand! All these arbitrary rules... pah! Anyone
> not liking it can always ignore them eh?

(laugh) Exactly. I don't think I've seen anyone complain about
it, so who knows.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 31 Aug 2011 09:25:37 +0100, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

> "Don Martinich" > wrote in message
> >
> > That sounds like 'pizza rustica'- Give that a google.

> Yep this sounds like a good one, Julie!
>
> http://italianfood.about.com/od/brea.../r/blr1968.htm

Sounds like not only are there a million different recipes for it,
there are many different names for it too.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 31 Aug 2011 08:37:33 -0400, Nancy Young <email@replyto> wrote:

> On 8/31/2011 8:04 AM, Nancy Young wrote:
>
> > I had never heard of it until I had Easter at my former inlaws for the
> > first time and someone brought the traditional pizza don. Okay, that's
> > what it sounded like to me but I think they were saying pizza grand.

> Following up to my own post (for some reason I think that's considered
> rude), I got curious and googled around. I found mentions of
> pizza gran, which makes more sense. Seems 'gran' isn't as in 'grand'
> but in 'grain'.
>
> "http://www.foodlivingandeverythingelse.com/2011/04/pizza-gran-meet-your-gluten-free-cousin.html"
>
> nancy

KEWL! Another GF recipe I can file away to use when my gluten
intolerant DIL comes to dinner. Thanks.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 31 Aug 2011 12:04:56 -0400, Nancy Young <email@replyto> wrote:

> On 8/31/2011 10:32 AM, Ophelia wrote:
> >
> > "Nancy Young" <email@replyto> wrote

> >> Following up to my own post (for some reason I think that's considered
> >> rude),

> > Which I never did understand! All these arbitrary rules... pah! Anyone
> > not liking it can always ignore them eh?

> (laugh) Exactly. I don't think I've seen anyone complain about
> it, so who knows.

I have, but I haven't seen it happen for a long time.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "Nancy Young" <email@replyto> wrote in message
> . com...
>> On 8/31/2011 8:04 AM, Nancy Young wrote:
>>
>>> I had never heard of it until I had Easter at my former inlaws for the
>>> first time and someone brought the traditional pizza don. Okay, that's
>>> what it sounded like to me but I think they were saying pizza grand.

>> Following up to my own post (for some reason I think that's considered
>> rude),

> Which I never did understand! All these arbitrary rules... pah! Anyone
> not liking it can always ignore them eh?

Truly.

Cheir

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/31/2011 2:36 AM, Giusi wrote:

> http://www.magieincucina.com/2010/03/pizza-rustica/
> is just one of the versions I found by Googling. They vary a great deal.
> The ones I have seen ion the US are usually very tall and sold by the slice.
> This one is more cheesy than usual and not at all tall, presumably to
> providea quantity a family can consume.

I like the looks of this but can't read it. Bummer!

> Another is he
> http://www.reluctantgourmet.com/lcrustic.htm and is very different.

The first one looks much yummier.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Pico Rico" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message

>>> Pizza Chena?

>> Sorry, I don't know what that is.

> Wow. You ask for info, I give a suggestion, and you say you don't know
> what it is. Of course you don't! If you did, you wouldn't be seeking the
> info in the first place. Search for a recipe using the term I suggested
> and get back to us. Testa Quadra!

I did look it up. Looks like it is something served at Easter but it is not
the stuff that my in-laws make.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

but if you followed up your own post and top posted it would probably be
armegedan, lol, Lee