Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Why females and not males; pork?

On our farm, and every other farm that was owned by our people of my ethnic background, sows were purchased when they were very young. Why always females and not males. The meat must be tastier???
I've heard(never tried it)that wild 'boar' is tasty. Why not domesticated boar?

OT: We had a crazy cow. Some kind of a Jersey breed. She was always escaping and taking off into the woods. She tried to run me down once, but I managed to jump up on the wagon. Anyway, my dad brought home some ducks from the stockyard and that stupid cow actually ran over them and what a bloody mess. I hope she was reincarnated as a gnat.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-03-04 9:37 AM, A Moose in Love wrote:
> On our farm, and every other farm that was owned by our people of my
> ethnic background, sows were purchased when they were very young.
> Why always females and not males. The meat must be tastier???

You grew up on a farm and you never understood why there were more
females than males? First of all, herd animals tend to have more
females than males. You get too many herd dynamics with virile males.
They are usually neutered and slaughtered young. Then there is this
thing called reproduction. Females give birth to more, and that is a
pretty handy way to get more animals on your farm. Cows usually only
have one calf, but pigs have litters of 8-12.

> OT: We had a crazy cow. Some kind of a Jersey breed. She was
> always escaping and taking off into the woods. She tried to run me
> down once, but I managed to jump up on the wagon.

Was it a cow or a bull? Bulls can be very playful, and they don't know
their strength... or they can be very aggressive and use their mass.

I was always amazed at how stupid at how stupid cows are. We used to
herd the cows on my friend's farm just for fun. On the way out to the
cow pasture we would snap off some willow whips and all we had to do was
threaten them with these flexible little twigs. Even if we did actually
whip them they probably would not feel it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, March 4, 2014 9:56:31 AM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2014-03-04 9:37 AM, A Moose in Love wrote:
>
> > On our farm, and every other farm that was owned by our people of my

> > ethnic background, sows were purchased when they were very young.

> > Why always females and not males. The meat must be tastier???

> You grew up on a farm and you never understood why there were more
>
> females than males?

I stated that we purchased females. It had nothing to do with breeding.

First of all, herd animals tend to have more

> females than males. You get too many herd dynamics with virile males.
>
> They are usually neutered and slaughtered young. Then there is this
>
> thing called reproduction. Females give birth to more, and that is a
>
> pretty handy way to get more animals on your farm. Cows usually only
>
> have one calf, but pigs have litters of 8-12.

> > OT: We had a crazy cow. Some kind of a Jersey breed. She was

> > always escaping and taking off into the woods. She tried to run me

> > down once, but I managed to jump up on the wagon.

> Was it a cow or a bull? Bulls can be very playful, and they don't know

I said it was a cow. It gave milk.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 04 Mar 2014 09:56:31 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2014-03-04 9:37 AM, A Moose in Love wrote:
>> On our farm, and every other farm that was owned by our people of my
>> ethnic background, sows were purchased when they were very young.
>> Why always females and not males. The meat must be tastier???

>You grew up on a farm and you never understood why there were more
>females than males?

He's just being an idiot again.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, March 4, 2014 3:00:40 PM UTC-5, Jeßus wrote:
> On Tue, 04 Mar 2014 09:56:31 -0500, Dave Smith
>
> > wrote:
>

> >On 2014-03-04 9:37 AM, A Moose in Love wrote:

> >> On our farm, and every other farm that was owned by our people of my

> >> ethnic background, sows were purchased when they were very young.

> >> Why always females and not males. The meat must be tastier???

> >You grew up on a farm and you never understood why there were more

> >females than males?

> He's just being an idiot again.

Oh OK. The above is an obvious flame, so like like take a flying one.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/4/2014 8:37 AM, A Moose in Love wrote:
> On our farm, and every other farm that was owned by our people of
> my ethnic background, sows were purchased when they were very
> young. Why always females and not males. The meat must be
> tastier??? I've heard(never tried it)that wild 'boar' is tasty.
> Why not domesticated boar?

Boar taint. It's an offensive/strong flavor in the meat that the
majority of people are sensitive to. It is primarily caused by male
hormones, so in the past, the best way to reduce the chances of
tainted meat was to prefer the meat from female pigs, and to castrate
male pigs to reduce the likelihood of their meat being tainted.

Since even meat from sows can have boar taint, there's been more
research done in how to prevent it. See the Wikipedia article for more
details.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boar_taint

I'm hypersensitive to it; if I taste or smell it in cooked pork or
bacon, I can't eat it. I throw it out. It's nauseating.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Moe DeLoughan" > wrote in message
> On 3/4/2014 8:37 AM, A Moose in Love wrote:
>> On our farm, and every other farm that was owned by our people of
>> my ethnic background, sows were purchased when they were very
>> young. Why always females and not males. The meat must be
>> tastier??? I've heard(never tried it)that wild 'boar' is tasty.
>> Why not domesticated boar?

> Boar taint. It's an offensive/strong flavor in the meat that the majority
> of people are sensitive to. It is primarily caused by male hormones, so in
> the past, the best way to reduce the chances of tainted meat was to prefer
> the meat from female pigs, and to castrate male pigs to reduce the
> likelihood of their meat being tainted.
>
> Since even meat from sows can have boar taint, there's been more research
> done in how to prevent it. See the Wikipedia article for more details.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boar_taint
>
> I'm hypersensitive to it; if I taste or smell it in cooked pork or bacon,
> I can't eat it. I throw it out. It's nauseating.

I have that problem too It took me some time to understand what was
happening, because it seemed no one else had a problem with it. I learned
of 'boar taint' here.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-03-04 11:02 AM, A Moose in Love wrote:
> On Tuesday, March 4, 2014 9:56:31 AM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:
>> On 2014-03-04 9:37 AM, A Moose in Love wrote:
>>
>>> On our farm, and every other farm that was owned by our people of my

>>> ethnic background, sows were purchased when they were very young.

>>> Why always females and not males. The meat must be tastier???

>> You grew up on a farm and you never understood why there were more
>>
>> females than males?

> I stated that we purchased females. It had nothing to do with breeding.
>
> First of all, herd animals tend to have more

You also said that you and and other farm bought females. You apparently
did not know the reason why the others did.

>>> OT: We had a crazy cow. Some kind of a Jersey breed. She was

>>> always escaping and taking off into the woods. She tried to run me

>>> down once, but I managed to jump up on the wagon.

>> Was it a cow or a bull? Bulls can be very playful, and they don't know

> I said it was a cow. It gave milk.

I had to imagine what happened when you guys got lonely out there. No
wonder the cow was acting strangely.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-03-04 3:07 PM, A Moose in Love wrote:

>> He's just being an idiot again.

> Oh OK. The above is an obvious flame, so like like take a flying one.

Naw. Not a flame. He was being generous.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> On 2014-03-04 11:02 AM, A Moose in Love wrote:

>>> You grew up on a farm and you never understood why there were more
>>>
>>> females than males?

>> I stated that we purchased females. It had nothing to do with breeding.
>>
>> First of all, herd animals tend to have more

> You also said that you and and other farm bought females. You apparently
> did not know the reason why the others did.

>>> Was it a cow or a bull? Bulls can be very playful, and they don't know

>> I said it was a cow. It gave milk.
>>

> I had to imagine what happened when you guys got lonely out there. No
> wonder the cow was acting strangely.

rofl

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, March 4, 2014 4:07:23 PM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2014-03-04 3:07 PM, A Moose in Love wrote:
>
> >> He's just being an idiot again.

> > Oh OK. The above is an obvious flame, so like like take a flying one.

> Naw. Not a flame. He was being generous.

get on the bar bozo.