Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Any Krispy kreme donut addicts here....?

http://www.angelfire.com/ak2/intelli...y_kreme09.html

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 19, 10:02*am, "Ophelia" > wrote:
> http://www.angelfire.com/ak2/intelli...y_kreme09.html
>
> --
> --https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

I even hate the name. Something about those Ks. Phony sounding.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 19 Oct 2010 11:08:21 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia
> wrote:

>On Oct 19, 10:02*am, "Ophelia" > wrote:
>> http://www.angelfire.com/ak2/intelli...y_kreme09.html
>>
>> --
>> --https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

>I even hate the name. Something about those Ks. Phony sounding.

K, K, Kalmia? LOL-LOL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 20/10/2010 5:08 AM, Kalmia wrote:
> On Oct 19, 10:02 am, > wrote:
>> http://www.angelfire.com/ak2/intelli...y_kreme09.html
>>
>> --
>> --https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

> I even hate the name. Something about those Ks. Phony sounding.

As phony as the "Kreme" I daresay!

Krypsis

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 19/10/2010 2:08 PM, Kalmia wrote:
> On Oct 19, 10:02 am, > wrote:
>> http://www.angelfire.com/ak2/intelli...y_kreme09.html
>>
>> --
>> --https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

> I even hate the name. Something about those Ks. Phony sounding.

I had them a couple times. Not impressed. They made a big deal about
opening their first outlet up here and I guess they thought they were
going to take a big share of Tim Hortons business. That was more than
10 years ago. According to their web site they still have only one store
in Ontario and two in Quebec.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2010-10-19, Dave Smith > wrote:

> I had them a couple times. Not impressed.

Actually, they suck! If what you want is a lotta suger mixed into
a lotta grease, they deliver. If you actually want to taste a good
doughnut, look elsewhere.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:
> On 2010-10-19, Dave Smith > wrote:
>
>> I had them a couple times. Not impressed.

> Actually, they suck! If what you want is a lotta suger mixed into
> a lotta grease, they deliver. If you actually want to taste a good
> doughnut, look elsewhere.
>
> nb

KK's are the most overrated doughnut of all time. Too sweet, too
much fat. The stores didn't last long here. Dunkin' Donuts is more
popular in this area.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Ophelia" > wrote:

> http://www.angelfire.com/ak2/intelli...y_kreme09.html
>
> --

We never saw what all the fuss was about when we lived in NC. When
they're warm, they're okay. When they're cold, bleah! Top Pot and
Daily Dozen do much more business than the Krispy Kreme in Seattle, and
sell a better product.

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller

Delete the obvious to email me
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 19, 3:12*pm, Cindy Fuller >
wrote:
> In article >,
>
> *"Ophelia" > wrote:
> >http://www.angelfire.com/ak2/intelli...y_kreme09.html

> > --

> We never saw what all the fuss was about when we lived in NC. *When
> they're warm, they're okay. *When they're cold, bleah! *Top Pot and
> Daily Dozen do much more business than the Krispy Kreme in Seattle, and
> sell a better product.
>
> Cindy
>
> --
> C.J. Fuller
>
> Delete the obvious to email me

Have you ever been to Connie's Donuts in Tacoma? I'm not a big donut
fan, but theirs are great!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cindy Fuller" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Ophelia" > wrote:
>
>> http://www.angelfire.com/ak2/intelli...y_kreme09.html
>>
>> --

> We never saw what all the fuss was about when we lived in NC. When
> they're warm, they're okay. When they're cold, bleah! Top Pot and
> Daily Dozen do much more business than the Krispy Kreme in Seattle, and
> sell a better product.

I only ever had a cold one. Or I should say a tiny bite of a cold one. It
was just nasty. I should add that I am not a donut lover to begin with.
They came into CA where we were living shortly before we moved. My dad
bought a big box of them, thinking the movers would want some. They didn't.
Nobody else did either.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"l, not -l" > wrote in message

> On 19-Oct-2010, "Dora" > wrote:
>
>> KK's are the most overrated doughnut of all time. Too sweet, too
>> much fat. The stores didn't last long here. Dunkin' Donuts is more
>> popular in this area.

> A few years back, during the height of the Krispy Kreme kraze, Winchells
> and
> Dunkin' Donuts both exited the St. Louis market. Since then, the number
> of
> KKs has dwindled and, very recently, Dunkin' has returned. We are very
> fortunate to have quite a few non-chain donut shops throughout the
> metropolitan area and all the ones I have tried make better donuts than
> the
> chains. I haven't had a really good chain-store donut since the original
> Dixie Cream shops folded many years ago.

We have a place here called Frosting. Or maybe it's Frostings. I think it
is a chain. I didn't think they would do well at all because they are in an
area where health food is big. But oddly enough they always seem very busy.
I haven't been in so am not sure what all they have in there.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 19, 3:58*pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> "l, not -l" > wrote in ...
>

> > On 19-Oct-2010, "Dora" > wrote:

> >> KK's are the most overrated doughnut of all time. * Too sweet, too
> >> much fat. *The stores didn't last long here. *Dunkin' Donuts is more
> >> popular in this area.

> > A few years back, during the height of the Krispy Kreme kraze, Winchells
> > and
> > Dunkin' Donuts both exited the St. Louis market. *Since then, the number
> > of
> > KKs has dwindled and, very recently, Dunkin' has returned. * We are very
> > fortunate to have quite a few non-chain donut shops throughout the
> > metropolitan area and all the ones I have tried make better donuts than
> > the
> > chains. * I haven't had a really good chain-store donut since the original
> > Dixie Cream shops folded many years ago.

> We have a place here called Frosting. *Or maybe it's Frostings. *I think it
> is a chain. *I didn't think they would do well at all because they are in an
> area where health food is big. *But oddly enough they always seem very busy.
> I haven't been in so am not sure what all they have in there.

Even health food addicts have a sweet tooth.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Chemo the Clown" > wrote in message
On Oct 19, 3:58 pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> "l, not -l" > wrote in
>

> > On 19-Oct-2010, "Dora" > wrote:

> >> KK's are the most overrated doughnut of all time. Too sweet, too
> >> much fat. The stores didn't last long here. Dunkin' Donuts is more
> >> popular in this area.

> > A few years back, during the height of the Krispy Kreme kraze, Winchells
> > and
> > Dunkin' Donuts both exited the St. Louis market. Since then, the number
> > of
> > KKs has dwindled and, very recently, Dunkin' has returned. We are very
> > fortunate to have quite a few non-chain donut shops throughout the
> > metropolitan area and all the ones I have tried make better donuts than
> > the
> > chains. I haven't had a really good chain-store donut since the original
> > Dixie Cream shops folded many years ago.

> We have a place here called Frosting. Or maybe it's Frostings. I think it
> is a chain. I didn't think they would do well at all because they are in
> an
> area where health food is big. But oddly enough they always seem very
> busy.
> I haven't been in so am not sure what all they have in there.

Even health food addicts have a sweet tooth.

---
Maybe some do. I've never wanted a donut though.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> I only ever had a cold one. Or I should say a tiny bite of a cold one. It
> was just nasty. I should add that I am not a donut lover to begin with.
> They came into CA where we were living shortly before we moved. My dad
> bought a big box of them, thinking the movers would want some. They didn't.
> Nobody else did either.

A cold KK donut is *nothing* like a fresh hot one. I'm not a big donut
eater myself but once in a blue moon a hot fresh one is sublime.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/19/2010 5:12 PM, Dora wrote:
> notbob wrote:
>> On 2010-10-19, Dave Smith > wrote:
>>
>>> I had them a couple times. Not impressed.

>> Actually, they suck! If what you want is a lotta suger mixed into
>> a lotta grease, they deliver. If you actually want to taste a good
>> doughnut, look elsewhere.
>>
>> nb

> KK's are the most overrated doughnut of all time. Too sweet, too much
> fat. The stores didn't last long here. Dunkin' Donuts is more popular in
> this area.

mmm munchkins.

I'll never turn down a krispy kreme though. especially fresh out of the
fat vat.

--
Currently reading: Star Trek TOS #2 The Entropy Effect by vonda macintyre

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default A moment of silence please for the greatest of all time - was - some Krispy Kreme Krap

ravenlynne > wrote in -
september.org:

>> R.I.P. Ray Lamar, the greatest donut man in the history of the civilized
>> world. Ever. Seriously.
>>
>> MartyB -
>>

> I have one too. Mackenzies back in New Orleans. Their buttermilk drops
> were sublime. People all over the world knew about them. Too bad they
> shut down.

Well, if we're going in for limited distribution, my aunt Monique's beignes
de Noël were always my favourite.

> Currently reading: Star Trek TOS #2 The Entropy Effect by vonda
> macintyre

Myself, it's "Britain and The Yemen Civil War 1962–65: Ministers,
Mercenaries and Mandarins; Foreign Policy and the Limits of Covert Action"
by Clive Jones

Gripping stuff.

--

When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag
and carrying a cross.

Sinclair Lewis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnrYMafCzeE
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 19 Oct 2010 15:02:29 +0100, Ophelia wrote:
>
>> http://www.angelfire.com/ak2/intelli...y_kreme09.html

> Thanks for the heads up :-) I've passed this along to the only Krispy
> Kreme fanatic I know (who weighs in at a mere 330+lbs).

Blimey
https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:

> If what you want is a lotta suger mixed into a lotta grease, they deliver.

Thing is a large percentage of the population have no taste, including
some who claim to have well developed tastes. Krispy Kreme donuts
deliver sweet and fat with less other flavor than if they were made from
tofu. Humans instinctively crave sweet and fat foods and therefore the
donuts are popular. They trigger instictive cravings and have no
flavors anyone will find probematic. They are popular for the same
reason that Olive Garden is always full - They target folks other than
foodies.

People with no taste like Krispy Kreme. This is not the same thing as
saying people who like Krispy Kreme have no taste. It is quite possible
for someone with refined tastes to have no problem eating a food that is
purely sweet and fat with no other detectable flavor. That's an
educated choice as opposed to not being able to tell the difference.

> If you actually want to taste a good doughnut, look elsewhere.

Before I learned that I was wheat intolerant I would get the donuts at
Two-Eyes at Topanga Canyon Blvd and Ventura Hwy in the northern Los
Angeles burbs. Delicious and they had enough real ingredients to give
me serious indigestion. Being wheat intolerant there's something
seriously wrong with any donut that fails to give me indigestion.
Krispy Kremes fail to give me indigestion. Go figure.

At one point Krispy Kreme exapnded much too fast and they closed well
over half of their stores. They have not yet recovered. Here in
Chicago metro I know of two stores open in the outer burbs compared to
many more than that before they crashed. Here they seem common in
grocery stores.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 20/10/2010 12:50 PM, Doug Freyburger wrote:

> Thing is a large percentage of the population have no taste, including
> some who claim to have well developed tastes.

That is clearly demonstrated with mass produced beer.

> At one point Krispy Kreme exapnded much too fast and they closed well
> over half of their stores. They have not yet recovered. Here in
> Chicago metro I know of two stores open in the outer burbs compared to
> many more than that before they crashed. Here they seem common in
> grocery stores.

As I mentioned in another post, the made a much hyped arrival here in
southern Ontario more than 10 years ago. Their first of many planned
outlets was in Mississauga. I don't know if they actually opened any
more, but that is the one and only now. Hold on a sec.. Wikopedia says
they had planned to have 32 outlets but only opened 18, and now there
are four still operating.

After they opened the Mississauga outlet they started selling them in
one of the local grocery stores. I only saw them there for a couple
weeks. It just didn't take. It probably didn't help that the store
had an in store bakery that made better donuts than KK, or that it was
across the street from a Hortons and within a mile of several more,
where there are better and cheaper donuts.