Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Now that Valentine's Day is over...

I'm sure many of you ran into this with the latest weekly grocery store
ads. First it was Superbowl snacky-stuff, then...V-Day.

The Publix weekly ad (came out on Thursday) was mostly devoted to
pushing boxes of candy, heart shaped cookies from the bakery, bouquets
of flowers and overpriced bottles of wine. I'm sure that's great for
the guy who went oh hell, I forgot about Valentine's Day!

It didn't feature much in the way of what I consider actual "groceries".
You know, meat, dairy, cheeses. I sure could stand another sale on
chuck roast @$2.99/lb! It did show some nice looking produce.
Still, if possible I'd rather buy it from local farmers rather than what
they have trucked up from the home base in Florida. Just sayin'

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, February 15, 2014 10:02:05 AM UTC-6, jmcquown wrote:
> I'm sure many of you ran into this with the latest weekly grocery store
>
> ads. First it was Superbowl snacky-stuff, then...V-Day.
>

> The Publix weekly ad (came out on Thursday) was mostly devoted to
>
> pushing boxes of candy, heart shaped cookies from the bakery, bouquets
>
> of flowers and overpriced bottles of wine. I'm sure that's great for
>
> the guy who went oh hell, I forgot about Valentine's Day!

Did your Valentine remember you? Cover you with kisses? Maybe even, well,
you know, those one special kind of kisses?

http://dreampunk.me/blog/ape-leader/

> Jill

--B
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 15 Feb 2014 11:02:05 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

> It did show some nice looking produce.
> Still, if possible I'd rather buy it from local farmers rather than what
> they have trucked up from the home base in Florida. Just sayin'

I'd rather have vegetables via interstate commerce than NAFTA imports.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 15-Feb-2014, jmcquown > wrote:

> I'm sure many of you ran into this with the latest weekly grocery store
> ads. First it was Superbowl snacky-stuff, then...V-Day.
>
> The Publix weekly ad (came out on Thursday) was mostly devoted to
> pushing boxes of candy, heart shaped cookies from the bakery, bouquets
> of flowers and overpriced bottles of wine. I'm sure that's great for
> the guy who went oh hell, I forgot about Valentine's Day!
>
> It didn't feature much in the way of what I consider actual "groceries".
> You know, meat, dairy, cheeses. I sure could stand another sale on
> chuck roast @$2.99/lb! It did show some nice looking produce.
> Still, if possible I'd rather buy it from local farmers rather than what
> they have trucked up from the home base in Florida. Just sayin'
>
> Jill

The most ridiculous V-day item I saw at the supermarket was the two-pack of
heart-shaped filet mignon - what a bargain at only $2 more per pound than
usual.

The car dealer "service advisor" offered a rose when I paid for my oil
change. Is there no business that has the good sense to just conduct
business as usual on Saint Valentine's Day?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, February 15, 2014 11:25:21 AM UTC-6, l not -l wrote:
> On 15-Feb-2014, jmcquown > wrote:
>

> > I'm sure many of you ran into this with the latest weekly grocery store

> > ads. First it was Superbowl snacky-stuff, then...V-Day.

> > The Publix weekly ad (came out on Thursday) was mostly devoted to

> > pushing boxes of candy, heart shaped cookies from the bakery, bouquets

> > of flowers and overpriced bottles of wine. I'm sure that's great for

> > the guy who went oh hell, I forgot about Valentine's Day!

> > It didn't feature much in the way of what I consider actual "groceries".

> > You know, meat, dairy, cheeses. I sure could stand another sale on

> > chuck roast @$2.99/lb! It did show some nice looking produce.

> > Still, if possible I'd rather buy it from local farmers rather than what

> > they have trucked up from the home base in Florida. Just sayin'

> > Jill

> The most ridiculous V-day item I saw at the supermarket was the two-pack of
>
> heart-shaped filet mignon - what a bargain at only $2 more per pound than
>
> usual.

The steak thing is stupid.

> The car dealer "service advisor" offered a rose when I paid for my oil
>
> change. Is there no business that has the good sense to just conduct
>
> business as usual on Saint Valentine's Day?

The rose thing, though, is kind of nice. Especially since they were obviously offering to both men and women.

--B

Posted to rec.food.cooking

l not -l wrote:

> The most ridiculous V-day item I saw at the supermarket was the two-pack of
> heart-shaped filet mignon - what a bargain at only $2 more per pound than
> usual.
>
> The car dealer "service advisor" offered a rose when I paid for my oil
> change. Is there no business that has the good sense to just conduct
> business as usual on Saint Valentine's Day?

Valentine's Day is just a marketing ploy to drum up over inflated
business for many companies....flowers, candy, cards, jewelry. If you
have a significant other that you truly love, every single day of the
year can and should be "valentine's day." February 14th should be
just one day out of 365 to express your love for each other.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/15/2014 12:25 PM, l not -l wrote:
> On 15-Feb-2014, jmcquown > wrote:
>
>> The Publix weekly ad (came out on Thursday) was mostly devoted to
>> pushing boxes of candy, heart shaped cookies from the bakery, bouquets
>> of flowers and overpriced bottles of wine. I'm sure that's great for
>> the guy who went oh hell, I forgot about Valentine's Day!
>>
>> Jill

> The most ridiculous V-day item I saw at the supermarket was the two-pack of
> heart-shaped filet mignon - what a bargain at only $2 more per pound than
> usual.

But it's so *cuuuuute*! Hopefully [the collective] you knows how to
grill that overpriced steak from the cutesy container without burning it
to a cinder.

> The car dealer "service advisor" offered a rose when I paid for my oil
> change. Is there no business that has the good sense to just conduct
> business as usual on Saint Valentine's Day?

Okay. Regardless of the day, I wouldn't object to being offered a rose.
(It's not as if hare krishna's accosted you in an airport.) It's just
good marketing. After all, you mentioned it here, didn't you? Word of
mouth advertizing. It works wonders. And it's practically free!

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, February 15, 2014 11:51:26 AM UTC-6, Gary wrote:
> l not -l wrote:
>

> > The most ridiculous V-day item I saw at the supermarket was the two-pack of

> > heart-shaped filet mignon - what a bargain at only $2 more per pound than

> > usual.

> > The car dealer "service advisor" offered a rose when I paid for my oil

> > change. Is there no business that has the good sense to just conduct

> > business as usual on Saint Valentine's Day?

> Valentine's Day is just a marketing ploy to drum up over inflated
>
> business for many companies....flowers, candy, cards, jewelry. If you
>
> have a significant other that you truly love, every single day of the
>
> year can and should be "valentine's day." February 14th should be
>
> just one day out of 365 to express your love for each other.

The only thing that I do on V-Day is cook my wife a live lobster, but I
was feeling poorly yesterday, so we just bought frozen tails from ALDI.

Pretty much every day *is* V-Day around here. With all my faults, not
being lovey enough isn't one of them. Most women would think I'm too
much that way, 365. I did warn her though, more than 28 years ago. I
really do believe that a lot of women, even women around age 50 would
say something like, "Couldn't you, like, go fishing, or to a ball game
occasionally?"

365 romance really isn't for everyone, and it's not an ideal. What's
important is to not be horribly mismatched, where one person feels
smothered unless the other feels neglected.

I got to laughing thinking about this. When I was a pre-teen, I was
so romance crazed that I was super into Bread.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bread_(band)

There are going to be some folks thinking, "Ewww," about that revelation.

> G.

--B
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 15 Feb 2014 12:54:06 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 2/15/2014 12:25 PM, l not -l wrote:
>> On 15-Feb-2014, jmcquown > wrote:
>>
>>> The Publix weekly ad (came out on Thursday) was mostly devoted to
>>> pushing boxes of candy, heart shaped cookies from the bakery, bouquets
>>> of flowers and overpriced bottles of wine. I'm sure that's great for
>>> the guy who went oh hell, I forgot about Valentine's Day!
>>>
>>> Jill

>> The most ridiculous V-day item I saw at the supermarket was the two-pack of
>> heart-shaped filet mignon - what a bargain at only $2 more per pound than
>> usual.
>>

>But it's so *cuuuuute*! Hopefully [the collective] you knows how to
>grill that overpriced steak from the cutesy container without burning it
>to a cinder.
>
>> The car dealer "service advisor" offered a rose when I paid for my oil
>> change. Is there no business that has the good sense to just conduct
>> business as usual on Saint Valentine's Day?
>>

>Okay. Regardless of the day, I wouldn't object to being offered a rose.
> (It's not as if hare krishna's accosted you in an airport.) It's just
>good marketing. After all, you mentioned it here, didn't you? Word of
>mouth advertizing. It works wonders. And it's practically free!
>
>Jill

What's even worse is the customary presentation of flowers to a
potential mate! It's like "Here, have some plant's pretty sex organs
as a token of my desire to get into your pants!"

;-)

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

http://www.wallsave.com/wallpapers/1...ute-423475.jpg

> Jill

--B

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, February 15, 2014 12:15:26 PM UTC-6, John Kuthe wrote:

> What's even worse is the customary presentation of flowers to a
>
> potential mate! It's like "Here, have some plant's pretty sex organs
>
> as a token of my desire to get into your pants!"

You wouldn't want to do that, because if it worked, you might be expected
to have sex.

> John Kuthe...

--B
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, February 15, 2014 11:54:06 AM UTC-6, jmcquown wrote:
> On 2/15/2014 12:25 PM, l not -l wrote:
>

> > The car dealer "service advisor" offered a rose when I paid for my oil

> > change. Is there no business that has the good sense to just conduct

> > business as usual on Saint Valentine's Day?

> Okay. Regardless of the day, I wouldn't object to being offered a rose.
>
> (It's not as if hare krishna's accosted you in an airport.) It's just
>
> good marketing. After all, you mentioned it here, didn't you? Word of
>
> mouth advertizing. It works wonders. And it's practically free!

http://www.wallsave.com/wallpapers/1...ute-423475.jpg

> Jill

--B
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 15 Feb 2014 12:51:26 -0500, Gary > wrote:

>l not -l wrote:
>>
>> The most ridiculous V-day item I saw at the supermarket was the two-pack of
>> heart-shaped filet mignon - what a bargain at only $2 more per pound than
>> usual.
>>
>> The car dealer "service advisor" offered a rose when I paid for my oil
>> change. Is there no business that has the good sense to just conduct
>> business as usual on Saint Valentine's Day?

>Valentine's Day is just a marketing ploy to drum up over inflated
>business for many companies....flowers, candy, cards, jewelry. If you
>have a significant other that you truly love, every single day of the
>year can and should be "valentine's day." February 14th should be
>just one day out of 365 to express your love for each other.
>
>G.

Sure, but it is nice to go a bit overboard for your sweetie once in a
while.

She made me her favorite cake (she made mine last Sunday) and I made
her dinner with a couple of extra touches.

We did not exchange cards or buy overpriced flowers, but I did buy her
a big chocolate covered strawberry from the bakery when I was there.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> Gary wrote:
>
> >Valentine's Day is just a marketing ploy to drum up over inflated
> >business for many companies....flowers, candy, cards, jewelry. If you
> >have a significant other that you truly love, every single day of the
> >year can and should be "valentine's day." February 14th should be
> >just one day out of 365 to express your love for each other.
> >

> Sure, but it is nice to go a bit overboard for your sweetie once in a
> while.

No kidding, Ed. It should just be another day but if you have a wife
or girlfriend, don't you *DARE* not get her anything for valentine'
day....."DANGER, WILL ROBINSON!"

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 15 Feb 2014 10:20:41 -0800 (PST), Bryan-TGWWW
> wrote:

>On Saturday, February 15, 2014 12:15:26 PM UTC-6, John Kuthe wrote:
>>

>> What's even worse is the customary presentation of flowers to a
>>
>> potential mate! It's like "Here, have some plant's pretty sex organs
>>
>> as a token of my desire to get into your pants!"
>>

>You wouldn't want to do that, because if it worked, you might be expected
>to have sex.
>>
>> John Kuthe...

>--B

What a stinkin male chauvanist PIG you are, Bryan! You see women as
mere sex objects!! It's always about your penis!!

John Kuthe...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, February 15, 2014 12:14:19 PM UTC-6, Bryan-TGWWW wrote:

> I got to laughing thinking about this. When I was a pre-teen, I was
>
> so romance crazed that I was super into Bread.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bread_(band)
>

> There are going to be some folks thinking, "Ewww," about that revelation.

Oh, crap, if I listen to any more of this I'm going to get all weepy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8x9lfIqzZDc

But, I thought I was just wasting time on this NG, but one thing led
to another, and I know what song is going to be included in Winter's
and Ann's wedding. (It's not a Gread song)

> > G.

> --B

--B
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/15/2014 1:44 PM, Gary wrote:
> Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>>
>> Gary wrote:
>>
>>> Valentine's Day is just a marketing ploy to drum up over inflated
>>> business for many companies....flowers, candy, cards, jewelry. If you
>>> have a significant other that you truly love, every single day of the
>>> year can and should be "valentine's day." February 14th should be
>>> just one day out of 365 to express your love for each other.
>>>

>> Sure, but it is nice to go a bit overboard for your sweetie once in a
>> while.

> No kidding, Ed. It should just be another day but if you have a wife
> or girlfriend, don't you *DARE* not get her anything for valentine'
> day....."DANGER, WILL ROBINSON!"
>
> G.

Puleeeze. Some women are not that shallow. Sure, a gesture is nice.
Usually much more appreciated when Hallmark or some candy company did
NOT suggest it. My 2 cents.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 15 Feb 2014 10:50:04 -0800 (PST), Bryan-TGWWW
> wrote:

>On Saturday, February 15, 2014 12:14:19 PM UTC-6, Bryan-TGWWW wrote:
>>

>> I got to laughing thinking about this. When I was a pre-teen, I was
>>
>> so romance crazed that I was super into Bread.
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bread_(band)
>>

>> There are going to be some folks thinking, "Ewww," about that revelation.
>>

>Oh, crap, if I listen to any more of this I'm going to get all weepy.

Heaven forbid Bryan shouljnd ever experience a human emoton other than
anger!! ;-)

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, February 15, 2014 12:49:10 PM UTC-6, John "The One Trick Gelding" Kuthe wrote:
> On Sat, 15 Feb 2014 10:20:41 -0800 (PST), Bryan-TGWWW
>
> > wrote:
>

> >On Saturday, February 15, 2014 12:15:26 PM UTC-6, John Kuthe wrote:

> >> What's even worse is the customary presentation of flowers to a

> >> potential mate! It's like "Here, have some plant's pretty sex organs

> >> as a token of my desire to get into your pants!"

> >You wouldn't want to do that, because if it worked, you might be expected

> >to have sex.

> >> John Kuthe...

> >--B

> What a stinkin male chauvanist PIG you are, Bryan! You see women as
>
> mere sex objects!! It's always about your penis!!

It's almost never about yours. More than two decades...

> John Kuthe...

--B
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 15 Feb 2014 12:51:26 -0500, Gary > wrote:

> l not -l wrote:
> >
> > The most ridiculous V-day item I saw at the supermarket was the two-pack of
> > heart-shaped filet mignon - what a bargain at only $2 more per pound than
> > usual.
> >
> > The car dealer "service advisor" offered a rose when I paid for my oil
> > change. Is there no business that has the good sense to just conduct
> > business as usual on Saint Valentine's Day?

> Valentine's Day is just a marketing ploy to drum up over inflated
> business for many companies....flowers, candy, cards, jewelry. If you
> have a significant other that you truly love, every single day of the
> year can and should be "valentine's day." February 14th should be
> just one day out of 365 to express your love for each other.

It should be, but it isn't. Flower producers are impacted, so they
jack up their wholesale prices, which means retail prices are sky high
- especially for red roses. Flower shop roses are astronomically
priced for V-Day. A dozen roses at the grocery store were $20 a dozen
+ another $5 for the filler (baby's breath?). I don't know how it
happened, but Trader Joe's scored a nice discount with their growers.
They had a dozen (red) roses *with* filler for $13... only $3 more
than usual.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> On Sat, 15 Feb 2014 11:02:05 -0500, jmcquown >
>
> wrote:
>

> > It did show some nice looking produce.

> > Still, if possible I'd rather buy it from local farmers rather than what

> > they have trucked up from the home base in Florida. Just sayin'

> I'd rather have vegetables via interstate commerce than NAFTA imports.

So what's wrong with Canadian hothouse tomatoes...???

--
Best
Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 15 Feb 2014 11:08:03 -0800 (PST), Bryan-TGWWW
> wrote:

>On Saturday, February 15, 2014 12:49:10 PM UTC-6, John "The One Trick Gelding" Kuthe wrote:
>> On Sat, 15 Feb 2014 10:20:41 -0800 (PST), Bryan-TGWWW
>>
>> > wrote:

>> >You wouldn't want to do that, because if it worked, you might be expected

>> >to have sex.

>> >--B

>> What a stinkin male chauvanist PIG you are, Bryan! You see women as
>>
>> mere sex objects!! It's always about your penis!!
>>

>It's almost never about yours. More than two decades...
>>
>> John Kuthe...

>--B

Angry much?

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, February 15, 2014 1:38:03 PM UTC-6, wrote:

> So what's wrong with Canadian hothouse tomatoes...???

Same thing that's wrong with American hothouse tomatoes, too low in acid
and almost devoid of flavor.

> Best
>
> Greg

--B
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 15 Feb 2014 11:28:05 -0800, sf > wrote:

>On Sat, 15 Feb 2014 12:51:26 -0500, Gary > wrote:
>
>> l not -l wrote:
>> >
>> > The most ridiculous V-day item I saw at the supermarket was the two-pack of
>> > heart-shaped filet mignon - what a bargain at only $2 more per pound than
>> > usual.
>> >
>> > The car dealer "service advisor" offered a rose when I paid for my oil
>> > change. Is there no business that has the good sense to just conduct
>> > business as usual on Saint Valentine's Day?

>> Valentine's Day is just a marketing ploy to drum up over inflated
>> business for many companies....flowers, candy, cards, jewelry. If you
>> have a significant other that you truly love, every single day of the
>> year can and should be "valentine's day." February 14th should be
>> just one day out of 365 to express your love for each other.
>>

>It should be, but it isn't. Flower producers are impacted, so they
>jack up their wholesale prices, which means retail prices are sky high
>- especially for red roses. Flower shop roses are astronomically
>priced for V-Day...

Well I looked at the local candy shop Chocolate Chocolate Chocolate
for their signature chocolates and it was like $42/lb! So Undercut
them at $39/lb and my Chocolate Covered Cherries are vastly better
than anything CVhocolate Chocolate Chocolate offers!

John Kuthe...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-02-15 12:25 PM, l not -l wrote:

> The most ridiculous V-day item I saw at the supermarket was the two-pack of
> heart-shaped filet mignon - what a bargain at only $2 more per pound than
> usual.

Last night's Valentine dinner was a joint effort. I cooked surf and sod
....lobster tails and lamp chops.... and asparagus. My wife made the
salad and she cut the red pepper into little hearts.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-02-15 1:52 PM, jmcquown wrote:

> Puleeeze. Some women are not that shallow. Sure, a gesture is nice.
> Usually much more appreciated when Hallmark or some candy company did
> NOT suggest it. My 2 cents.

Oh? My wife would be really upset if I did not get something a card and
a gift and either take her out for dinner or cook something special for
her. My brother has to take his wife out for dinner on Valentine Day.
That really annoys him because because he also has to take her out for a
nice dinner on her birthday, which is 6 days earlier.

I was almost in trouble yesterday because of my lack of excitement over
the commercialized "holiday". Luckily, as we were coming home yesterday
afternoon there was a person on the radio talking about how one sided
Valentine Day is, that men are expected to do all sorts of special
things for their wives and girlfriends, but that the best the guys can
expect is a card.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...

> No kidding, Ed. It should just be another day but if you have a wife
> or girlfriend, don't you *DARE* not get her anything for valentine'
> day....."DANGER, WILL ROBINSON!"
>
> G.

That's not true in my house at all. We do nice things for each other all
year long, so...no need to get overly excited about a sweetheart day that
commerical interests picked as a special day. JMO :-)

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> On 2014-02-15 12:25 PM, l not -l wrote:
>
>> The most ridiculous V-day item I saw at the supermarket was the two-pack
>> of
>> heart-shaped filet mignon - what a bargain at only $2 more per pound than
>> usual.

> Last night's Valentine dinner was a joint effort. I cooked surf and sod
> ...lobster tails and lamp chops.... and asparagus. My wife made the salad
> and she cut the red pepper into little hearts.

Aww bless her

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" > wrote in message

> "Gary" > wrote in message
>
>> No kidding, Ed. It should just be another day but if you have a wife
>> or girlfriend, don't you *DARE* not get her anything for valentine'
>> day....."DANGER, WILL ROBINSON!"
>>
>> G.

> That's not true in my house at all. We do nice things for each other all
> year long, so...no need to get overly excited about a sweetheart day that
> commerical interests picked as a special day. JMO :-)

That is just the same here. There is no special day for such things)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, February 15, 2014 9:51:26 AM UTC-8, Gary wrote:
> l not -l wrote:
>

> > The most ridiculous V-day item I saw at the supermarket was the two-pack of

> > heart-shaped filet mignon - what a bargain at only $2 more per pound than

> > usual.

> > The car dealer "service advisor" offered a rose when I paid for my oil

> > change. Is there no business that has the good sense to just conduct

> > business as usual on Saint Valentine's Day?

> Valentine's Day is just a marketing ploy to drum up over inflated
>
> business for many companies....flowers, candy, cards, jewelry. If you
>
> have a significant other that you truly love, every single day of the
>
> year can and should be "valentine's day." February 14th should be
>
> just one day out of 365 to express your love for each other.
>

> G.

You are absolutely right, but why not use it as another day to celebrate? We went to a fun activity, an indoor peewee golf course with a San Francisco theme, went to a few antique shops, and then to a Mexican restaurant for dinner. The wait for dinner was one + hours. They took my cell phone number and we walked a couple of miles and back until they called. We do stuff like this all the time, so why not on Valentine's Day?

It was a lot of fun and we also exchanged small gifts. Sometimes we don't but we will agree to it ahead of time. This time I had the perfect thing so we went with the gifts.

Yeah, it is a Hallmark holiday, but we didn't do any of the Hallmark stuff. The only candy heart I had was one that the antique store had.

Julie P
Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2014-02-15 18:52:01 +0000, jmcquown said:

> On 2/15/2014 1:44 PM, Gary wrote:
>> Ed Pawlowski wrote:

>>> Sure, but it is nice to go a bit overboard for your sweetie once in a
>>> while.

>> No kidding, Ed. It should just be another day but if you have a wife
>> or girlfriend, don't you *DARE* not get her anything for valentine'
>> day....."DANGER, WILL ROBINSON!"
>>

> Puleeeze. Some women are not that shallow. Sure, a gesture is nice.
> Usually much more appreciated when Hallmark or some candy company did
> NOT suggest it. My 2 cents.

I think it's funny that the give-to-women thing gets underscored so
heavily. The wife and I like Valentine's day as a meager and vaguely
media-bogus opportunity to state our communal a reciprocal affection
for one another. It's not really like Girlfriend Day--it's mutual.

We use to make a point of eating out, but the nicer places have too
mucy brouhaha, a prix-fixe dinner, set seating times and then it's so
packed to the gills with customers that the staff is overworked and
service isn't so great. So we've more or less given up on the eating
out part.

Yesterday I bought a prime Porterhouse steak, some over-the-top Danish
pastries for dessert, a really exceptional Claret and we cooked an
incredible meal. And a lovely little at-home cocktail hour to preced
it with plenty of great jazz and low-lights. The evening was a delight
and we had a great time. Happy Valentine's Day to us!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"gtr" > wrote in message news:2014021513493362733-xxx@yyyzzz...
> On 2014-02-15 18:52:01 +0000, jmcquown said:

>>> No kidding, Ed. It should just be another day but if you have a wife
>>> or girlfriend, don't you *DARE* not get her anything for valentine'
>>> day....."DANGER, WILL ROBINSON!"
>>>

>> Puleeeze. Some women are not that shallow. Sure, a gesture is nice.
>> Usually much more appreciated when Hallmark or some candy company did NOT
>> suggest it. My 2 cents.

> I think it's funny that the give-to-women thing gets underscored so
> heavily. The wife and I like Valentine's day as a meager and vaguely
> media-bogus opportunity to state our communal a reciprocal affection for
> one another. It's not really like Girlfriend Day--it's mutual.
>
> We use to make a point of eating out, but the nicer places have too mucy
> brouhaha, a prix-fixe dinner, set seating times and then it's so packed to
> the gills with customers that the staff is overworked and service isn't so
> great. So we've more or less given up on the eating out part.
>
> Yesterday I bought a prime Porterhouse steak, some over-the-top Danish
> pastries for dessert, a really exceptional Claret and we cooked an
> incredible meal. And a lovely little at-home cocktail hour to preced it
> with plenty of great jazz and low-lights. The evening was a delight and we
> had a great time. Happy Valentine's Day to us!

And that is the best of all)))

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> I'm sure many of you ran into this with the latest weekly grocery store
> ads. First it was Superbowl snacky-stuff, then...V-Day.
>
> The Publix weekly ad (came out on Thursday) was mostly devoted to pushing
> boxes of candy, heart shaped cookies from the bakery, bouquets of flowers
> and overpriced bottles of wine. I'm sure that's great for the guy who
> went oh hell, I forgot about Valentine's Day!
>
> It didn't feature much in the way of what I consider actual "groceries".
> You know, meat, dairy, cheeses. I sure could stand another sale on chuck
> roast @$2.99/lb! It did show some nice looking produce. Still, if
> possible I'd rather buy it from local farmers rather than what they have
> trucked up from the home base in Florida. Just sayin'

We seem to have a bit of a produce shortage up here. Stuff like carrots
and greens anyway. What we do have isn't all that fresh!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>>
>> Gary wrote:
>>
>> >Valentine's Day is just a marketing ploy to drum up over inflated
>> >business for many companies....flowers, candy, cards, jewelry. If you
>> >have a significant other that you truly love, every single day of the
>> >year can and should be "valentine's day." February 14th should be
>> >just one day out of 365 to express your love for each other.
>> >

>> Sure, but it is nice to go a bit overboard for your sweetie once in a
>> while.

> No kidding, Ed. It should just be another day but if you have a wife
> or girlfriend, don't you *DARE* not get her anything for valentine'
> day....."DANGER, WILL ROBINSON!"

Supposed to get Russell Stover chocolates. Ad on TV said so!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 15-Feb-2014, jmcquown > wrote:

> On 2/15/2014 12:25 PM, l not -l wrote:
> > On 15-Feb-2014, jmcquown > wrote:
> >
> >> The Publix weekly ad (came out on Thursday) was mostly devoted to
> >> pushing boxes of candy, heart shaped cookies from the bakery, bouquets
> >> of flowers and overpriced bottles of wine. I'm sure that's great for
> >> the guy who went oh hell, I forgot about Valentine's Day!
> >>
> >> Jill

> > The most ridiculous V-day item I saw at the supermarket was the two-pack
> > of
> > heart-shaped filet mignon - what a bargain at only $2 more per pound
> > than
> > usual.
> >

> But it's so *cuuuuute*! Hopefully [the collective] you knows how to
> grill that overpriced steak from the cutesy container without burning it
> to a cinder.
>
> > The car dealer "service advisor" offered a rose when I paid for my oil
> > change. Is there no business that has the good sense to just conduct
> > business as usual on Saint Valentine's Day?
> >

> Okay. Regardless of the day, I wouldn't object to being offered a rose.
> (It's not as if hare krishna's accosted you in an airport.) It's just
> good marketing. After all, you mentioned it here, didn't you? Word of
> mouth advertizing. It works wonders. And it's practically free!

But, I didn't mention the name of the dealer, so word of mouth does little,
even among the 2 or 3 folks here who could patronize the dealer. I'm just
a curmudgeon who doesn't like the idea of killing a plant just to say thanks
for coming in today, just as I prefer a live tree to killing a pine to
commemorate the birth of Christ.

I always appreciate the $7 discount they inexplicably give me each visit;
and the wi-fi in the waiting area. If I still ate such things I'd
appreciate the Dad's Oatmeal Cookies (my favorite, crunchy, not chewy) and
frozen custard or ice cream that are always available in the waiting area.
Not so much the coffee - the dealer's idea of good coffee and mine differ by
a wide margin.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"l not -l" > wrote in message
eb.com...

> But, I didn't mention the name of the dealer, so word of mouth does
> little,
> even among the 2 or 3 folks here who could patronize the dealer. I'm
> just
> a curmudgeon who doesn't like the idea of killing a plant just to say
> thanks
> for coming in today, just as I prefer a live tree to killing a pine to
> commemorate the birth of Christ.

I am with you on this. The children will send me flowers ... which are
very beautiful but they die off so fast I would much prefer a plant I
don't tell them because I don't like to hurt them.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-02-15, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

> There is a lot of tradition on Valentine's Day that goes back hundreds
> of years. The tradition of sending cards and chocolates began in the
> UK circa 18th century.

Happy day after Valentine's Day:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74A8wFv7qnw

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 15 Feb 2014 23:02:50 -0000, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

>"l not -l" > wrote in message
web.com...

>> But, I didn't mention the name of the dealer, so word of mouth does
>> little,
>> even among the 2 or 3 folks here who could patronize the dealer. I'm
>> just
>> a curmudgeon who doesn't like the idea of killing a plant just to say
>> thanks
>> for coming in today, just as I prefer a live tree to killing a pine to
>> commemorate the birth of Christ.

>I am with you on this. The children will send me flowers ... which are
>very beautiful but they die off so fast I would much prefer a plant I
>don't tell them because I don't like to hurt them.

My younger son has it figured out. On Mother's day both boys came
down and helped get the yard in shape. At Thanksgiving younger one
brought bulbs and planted them. We will see this spring what we have.
--
Susan N.

Valentine Leonard Blaisdell[_2_] General Cooking 21 18-02-2012 10:01 PM
Pre-Valentine's Day Party! Come Find Your Valentine New York! LeeAnne General 0 04-02-2007 04:10 PM
Valentine's Day sf General Cooking 13 16-02-2006 07:02 AM
Valentine's Day [email protected] Chocolate 0 19-01-2005 07:17 PM
Tea for Valentine's day Pierre Lagrande Tea 0 11-02-2004 09:20 AM