Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Stroganoff.

I'm making wallaby strog tonight, and I've never really stuck to any
particular recipe for stroganoff - I've never made a truly 'authentic'
one, put it that way. Was wondering if anyone here has a favourite?

Hopefully I have all the main ingredients. I have garlic, mushrooms,
sour cream, tomato paste, rice and spaghetti... thanks in advance for
any recipes or tips.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jeßus" > wrote in message
> I'm making wallaby strog tonight, and I've never really stuck to any
> particular recipe for stroganoff - I've never made a truly 'authentic'
> one, put it that way. Was wondering if anyone here has a favourite?
>
> Hopefully I have all the main ingredients. I have garlic, mushrooms,
> sour cream, tomato paste, rice and spaghetti... thanks in advance for
> any recipes or tips.

Bag the tomatoe paste - ewww

Slice meat on the bias, thin, dredge in seasoned flour
brown in a skillet, do not crowd or you will get a soggy mess, break up the
batches. When I say brown I mean b r o w n. Not tan or beige
remove meat pour of excess grease
deglasse with white wine
sauté minced shallots in pan with additional butter
add sliced mushrooms and garlic (I typically do not use garlic in this dish)
cook till tender
add back meat
add dark beef broth or consommé to cover
add copious amounts of paprika
braise - adjust seasoning
thicken by reduction
just before serving add sour cream

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 12 Feb 2014 20:43:16 -0800, "Paul M. Cook" >
wrote:

>"Jeßus" > wrote in message
.. .
>> I'm making wallaby strog tonight, and I've never really stuck to any
>> particular recipe for stroganoff - I've never made a truly 'authentic'
>> one, put it that way. Was wondering if anyone here has a favourite?
>>
>> Hopefully I have all the main ingredients. I have garlic, mushrooms,
>> sour cream, tomato paste, rice and spaghetti... thanks in advance for
>> any recipes or tips.

>Bag the tomatoe paste - ewww

Heh... okay

>Slice meat on the bias, thin, dredge in seasoned flour
>brown in a skillet, do not crowd or you will get a soggy mess, break up the
>batches. When I say brown I mean b r o w n. Not tan or beige
>remove meat pour of excess grease
>deglasse with white wine

Out of white wine ATM, could possibly use cider...

>sauté minced shallots in pan with additional butter

Will have to substitute with onion...

>add sliced mushrooms and garlic (I typically do not use garlic in this dish)
>cook till tender
>add back meat
>add dark beef broth or consommé to cover
>add copious amounts of paprika
>braise - adjust seasoning
>thicken by reduction
>just before serving add sour cream

Thanks Paul, I'll start making this shortly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jeßus" > wrote in message
> I'm making wallaby strog tonight, and I've never really stuck to any
> particular recipe for stroganoff - I've never made a truly 'authentic'
> one, put it that way. Was wondering if anyone here has a favourite?
>
> Hopefully I have all the main ingredients. I have garlic, mushrooms,
> sour cream, tomato paste, rice and spaghetti... thanks in advance for
> any recipes or tips.

Well I don't use tom paste in it. but yes to all the rest

I don't really have a recipe. How tender is your wallaby? I usually use
pork or chicken. I brown strips fast in hot oil, remove, add some butter
and cook onions. Replace meat, add seasoning and sour cream and cook
through. Is that the norm? Who knows, we like it)

Simple and fast. I usually serve with pasta.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "Jeßus" > wrote in message
>> I'm making wallaby strog tonight, and I've never really stuck to any
>> particular recipe for stroganoff - I've never made a truly 'authentic'
>> one, put it that way. Was wondering if anyone here has a favourite?
>>
>> Hopefully I have all the main ingredients. I have garlic, mushrooms,
>> sour cream, tomato paste, rice and spaghetti... thanks in advance for
>> any recipes or tips.

> Well I don't use tom paste in it. but yes to all the rest
>
> I don't really have a recipe. How tender is your wallaby? I usually use
> pork or chicken. I brown strips fast in hot oil, remove, add some butter
> and cook onions. Replace meat, add seasoning and sour cream and cook
> through. Is that the norm? Who knows, we like it)
>
> Simple and fast. I usually serve with pasta.

Ooops forgot the mushrooms Gotta have the mushrooms In fact I will
make a simple mushroom stroganoff anyway

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jeßus" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 12 Feb 2014 20:43:16 -0800, "Paul M. Cook" >
> wrote:
>

>>"Jeßus" > wrote in message
. ..
>>> I'm making wallaby strog tonight, and I've never really stuck to any
>>> particular recipe for stroganoff - I've never made a truly 'authentic'
>>> one, put it that way. Was wondering if anyone here has a favourite?
>>>
>>> Hopefully I have all the main ingredients. I have garlic, mushrooms,
>>> sour cream, tomato paste, rice and spaghetti... thanks in advance for
>>> any recipes or tips.

>>Bag the tomatoe paste - ewww

> Heh... okay
>
>>Slice meat on the bias, thin, dredge in seasoned flour
>>brown in a skillet, do not crowd or you will get a soggy mess, break up
>>the
>>batches. When I say brown I mean b r o w n. Not tan or beige
>>remove meat pour of excess grease
>>deglasse with white wine

> Out of white wine ATM, could possibly use cider...

Ugh. No way. I use a dry white wine. Dry reds work but the finished
product looks like tar even though it tastes good.

>>sauté minced shallots in pan with additional butter

> Will have to substitute with onion...

White onions work So do sweet yellows. .

>>add sliced mushrooms and garlic (I typically do not use garlic in this
>>dish)
>>cook till tender
>>add back meat
>>add dark beef broth or consommé to cover
>>add copious amounts of paprika
>>braise - adjust seasoning
>>thicken by reduction
>>just before serving add sour cream

> Thanks Paul, I'll start making this shortly

And the best pasta IMO is egg noodles. Bot sure why but it just works.
Baked potatoes are nice as well.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, February 13, 2014 8:13:43 PM UTC-6, Paul M. Cook wrote:

> And the best pasta IMO is egg noodles.

Home made egg noodles are something that none of us do often enough.
Simple, though not easy, but they call for whole eggs. No wasted whites.

--B
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 13 Feb 2014 18:13:43 -0800, "Paul M. Cook" >
wrote:

>"Jeßus" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Wed, 12 Feb 2014 20:43:16 -0800, "Paul M. Cook" >
>> wrote:

>>>Bag the tomatoe paste - ewww

>> Heh... okay
>>
>>>Slice meat on the bias, thin, dredge in seasoned flour
>>>brown in a skillet, do not crowd or you will get a soggy mess, break up
>>>the
>>>batches. When I say brown I mean b r o w n. Not tan or beige
>>>remove meat pour of excess grease
>>>deglasse with white wine

>> Out of white wine ATM, could possibly use cider...

>Ugh. No way. I use a dry white wine. Dry reds work but the finished
>product looks like tar even though it tastes good.

It was just fine with cider. I'm making a 3 hour round trip just for
some wine.

>>>sauté minced shallots in pan with additional butter

>> Will have to substitute with onion...

>White onions work So do sweet yellows. .
>
>>>add sliced mushrooms and garlic (I typically do not use garlic in this
>>>dish)
>>>cook till tender
>>>add back meat
>>>add dark beef broth or consommé to cover
>>>add copious amounts of paprika
>>>braise - adjust seasoning
>>>thicken by reduction
>>>just before serving add sour cream

>> Thanks Paul, I'll start making this shortly

>And the best pasta IMO is egg noodles. Bot sure why but it just works.
>Baked potatoes are nice as well.

Spuds are a good idea. I ended up using rice.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 13 Feb 2014 13:19:54 -0000, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

>"Jeßus" > wrote in message
.. .
>> I'm making wallaby strog tonight, and I've never really stuck to any
>> particular recipe for stroganoff - I've never made a truly 'authentic'
>> one, put it that way. Was wondering if anyone here has a favourite?
>>
>> Hopefully I have all the main ingredients. I have garlic, mushrooms,
>> sour cream, tomato paste, rice and spaghetti... thanks in advance for
>> any recipes or tips.

>Well I don't use tom paste in it. but yes to all the rest

I mentioned that as I've seen it in a few Strog recipes.

>I don't really have a recipe. How tender is your wallaby? I usually use
>pork or chicken.

Average tender, I suppose, much like lean beef really.
Chicken sounds nice...

> I brown strips fast in hot oil, remove, add some butter
>and cook onions. Replace meat, add seasoning and sour cream and cook
>through. Is that the norm? Who knows, we like it)

Pretty much what I did, following Paul's recipe
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
news
> On Fri, 14 Feb 2014 13:34:25 +1100, Jeßus > wrote:

>>>Ugh. No way. I use a dry white wine. Dry reds work but the finished
>>>product looks like tar even though it tastes good.

>>It was just fine with cider. I'm making a 3 hour round trip just for
>>some wine.
>>

> A good cider is preferable to white wine IMO - though stroganoff is
> one thing where I do not use wine, simply meat, mushrooms, onions and
> sour cream.

I can see hard cider. Otherwise my tongue says too much sugar. That is why
I don't like tom paste; too sweet.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/15/2014 11:02 AM, sf wrote:

> How do English speakers who are not American distinguish between the
> two and which is the default cider?

In my experience, the fermented stuff is 'cider'. The non-fermented is
'apple juice'.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/15/2014 11:02 AM, sf wrote:
> On Sat, 15 Feb 2014 07:26:54 -0400, wrote:

>>> I can see hard cider. Otherwise my tongue says too much sugar. That is why
>>> I don't like tom paste; too sweet.
>>>

>> I had assumed Jeßus was referring to hard cider given he was adding it
>> to cooking. IMO hard cider is the only kind

> How do English speakers who are not American distinguish between the
> two and which is the default cider?

I grew up in Britain and, in fact, my first pub drink was cider ("hard"
of course). It was disappointing to buy "cider" in America and find it
was apple juice tho' the big jugs would ferment in the refrigerator and
become much improved. Fermenting at room temperature was faster but the
result tasted of hydrogen sulfide.

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not." in Reply To.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

S Viemeister wrote:

> On 2/15/2014 11:02 AM, sf wrote:
>
> > How do English speakers who are not American distinguish between the
> > two and which is the default cider?
> >

> In my experience, the fermented stuff is 'cider'. The non-fermented is
> 'apple juice'.

In the US, the fermented cider is usually served hot. The heating
steams off most of the alcohol before you drink it. Apple juice is
just apple juice.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 15 Feb 2014 11:11:11 -0500, S Viemeister
> wrote:

> On 2/15/2014 11:02 AM, sf wrote:
>
> > How do English speakers who are not American distinguish between the
> > two and which is the default cider?
> >

> In my experience, the fermented stuff is 'cider'. The non-fermented is
> 'apple juice'.

Even if it's slightly fizzy, but not alcoholic? I've been looking up
what the internet says the "differences" are and none represent what I
remember drinking as a kid. I remember clear (filtered), but ever so
slightly fizzy (not Martinelli's fizzy) and less sweet than regular
apple juice. I have looked and looked, but haven't found it... so I'm
wondering if what I had was restricted to the area I was brought up in
or maybe it was restricted to those times, because standardization has
caused yet another product to go completely bland for national
distribution purposes.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/15/2014 11:51 AM, sf wrote:

> I like pork and pears, so maybe I'll try pear cider next time.

I braised pork in perry/pear cider earlier this week - it was yummy!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/15/2014 11:25 AM, Gary wrote:
> S Viemeister wrote:
>>
>> On 2/15/2014 11:02 AM, sf wrote:
>>
>>> How do English speakers who are not American distinguish between the
>>> two and which is the default cider?
>>>

>> In my experience, the fermented stuff is 'cider'. The non-fermented is
>> 'apple juice'.

> In the US, the fermented cider is usually served hot. The heating
> steams off most of the alcohol before you drink it. Apple juice is
> just apple juice.

Around here, liquor stores have hard cider in six-packs, imported and
domestic of different tastes and alcohol content tho' none quite as dry
as I would like.

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not." in Reply To.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/15/2014 12:08 PM, James Silverton wrote:

> The British name for pear cider: "Perry" does not seem to have caught on
> here. Is there not a British drink that is perry fermented by the
> champagne process?

Babycham?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 15 Feb 2014 12:05:30 -0500, James Silverton
> wrote:

>On 2/15/2014 11:25 AM, Gary wrote:
>> S Viemeister wrote:

>>> In my experience, the fermented stuff is 'cider'. The non-fermented is
>>> 'apple juice'.

>> In the US, the fermented cider is usually served hot. The heating
>> steams off most of the alcohol before you drink it. Apple juice is
>> just apple juice.

>Around here, liquor stores have hard cider in six-packs, imported and
>domestic of different tastes and alcohol content tho' none quite as dry
>as I would like.

here too. I've never had fermented cider hot. The hot smelly stuff
has always just been fruit juice/cider.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 15 Feb 2014 08:39:37 -0800, sf > wrote:

>On Sat, 15 Feb 2014 11:11:11 -0500, S Viemeister
> wrote:
>
>> On 2/15/2014 11:02 AM, sf wrote:
>>
>> > How do English speakers who are not American distinguish between the
>> > two and which is the default cider?
>> >

>> In my experience, the fermented stuff is 'cider'. The non-fermented is
>> 'apple juice'.

>Even if it's slightly fizzy, but not alcoholic? I've been looking up
>what the internet says the "differences" are and none represent what I
>remember drinking as a kid. I remember clear (filtered), but ever so
>slightly fizzy (not Martinelli's fizzy) and less sweet than regular
>apple juice. I have looked and looked, but haven't found it... so I'm
>wondering if what I had was restricted to the area I was brought up in
>or maybe it was restricted to those times, because standardization has
>caused yet another product to go completely bland for national
>distribution purposes.

I had the same thing when growing up. We would get it at the grower
(several had a press). You could get either hard or regular. The
regular tasted nothing like the awful apple juice that is sold.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 15 Feb 2014 11:54:47 -0500, S Viemeister
> wrote:

> On 2/15/2014 11:51 AM, sf wrote:
>
> > I like pork and pears, so maybe I'll try pear cider next time.
> >

> I braised pork in perry/pear cider earlier this week - it was yummy!

Oh, good - thanks! I'll pick up a bottle the next time I'm at the
grocery store I know sells hard cider.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 15 Feb 2014 12:08:28 -0500, James Silverton
> wrote:

> The British name for pear cider: "Perry" does not seem to have caught on
> here. Is there not a British drink that is perry fermented by the
> champagne process?

My grandmother was a Perry... wondering if they farmed pears or what?

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"S Viemeister" > wrote in message
> On 2/15/2014 12:08 PM, James Silverton wrote:
>
>> The British name for pear cider: "Perry" does not seem to have caught on
>> here. Is there not a British drink that is perry fermented by the
>> champagne process?
>>

> Babycham?

Ick I seem to remember that was the first alcohol I ever tasted)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/15/2014 12:34 PM, Ophelia wrote:
> "S Viemeister" > wrote
>> On 2/15/2014 12:08 PM, James Silverton wrote:
>>
>>> The British name for pear cider: "Perry" does not seem to have caught on
>>> here. Is there not a British drink that is perry fermented by the
>>> champagne process?
>>>

>> Babycham?

> Ick I seem to remember that was the first alcohol I ever tasted)

I've never tasted it. Doesn't sound as though I'm missing much, though!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"S Viemeister" > wrote in message
> On 2/15/2014 12:34 PM, Ophelia wrote:

>>> Babycham?

>> Ick I seem to remember that was the first alcohol I ever tasted)
>>

> I've never tasted it. Doesn't sound as though I'm missing much, though!

Well let's just say it put me off trying any other for a very long time

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 15 Feb 2014 10:26:27 -0700, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:

> On Sat, 15 Feb 2014 08:39:37 -0800, sf > wrote:
>
> >On Sat, 15 Feb 2014 11:11:11 -0500, S Viemeister
> > wrote:

> >> In my experience, the fermented stuff is 'cider'. The non-fermented is
> >> 'apple juice'.

> >Even if it's slightly fizzy, but not alcoholic? I've been looking up
> >what the internet says the "differences" are and none represent what I
> >remember drinking as a kid. I remember clear (filtered), but ever so
> >slightly fizzy (not Martinelli's fizzy) and less sweet than regular
> >apple juice. I have looked and looked, but haven't found it... so I'm
> >wondering if what I had was restricted to the area I was brought up in
> >or maybe it was restricted to those times, because standardization has
> >caused yet another product to go completely bland for national
> >distribution purposes.

> I had the same thing when growing up. We would get it at the grower
> (several had a press). You could get either hard or regular. The
> regular tasted nothing like the awful apple juice that is sold.

Thank you! Yes, the apple juice sold today is (barely) apple flavored
sugar water IMO.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/15/2014 12:21 PM, S Viemeister wrote:
> On 2/15/2014 12:08 PM, James Silverton wrote:
>
>> The British name for pear cider: "Perry" does not seem to have caught on
>> here. Is there not a British drink that is perry fermented by the
>> champagne process?
>>

> Babycham?

I think that's it but I don't recall ever trying it.

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not." in Reply To.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> wrote in message
>news
>> On Fri, 14 Feb 2014 13:34:25 +1100, Jeßus > wrote:

>>>It was just fine with cider. I'm making a 3 hour round trip just for
>>>some wine.
>>>

>> A good cider is preferable to white wine IMO - though stroganoff is
>> one thing where I do not use wine, simply meat, mushrooms, onions and
>> sour cream.

>I can see hard cider. Otherwise my tongue says too much sugar. That is why
>I don't like tom paste; too sweet.

Cider can be very dry, or very sweet, or anywhere else between that.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 15 Feb 2014 11:11:11 -0500, S Viemeister
> wrote:

>On 2/15/2014 11:02 AM, sf wrote:
>
>> How do English speakers who are not American distinguish between the
>> two and which is the default cider?
>>

>In my experience, the fermented stuff is 'cider'. The non-fermented is
>'apple juice'.

That's how I understand it at least.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 15 Feb 2014 11:54:47 -0500, S Viemeister
> wrote:

>On 2/15/2014 11:51 AM, sf wrote:
>
>> I like pork and pears, so maybe I'll try pear cider next time.
>>

>I braised pork in perry/pear cider earlier this week - it was yummy!

Yes indeed... pork and cider or perry is a wonderful combination and a
regular thing here during winter.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jeßus > wrote:

> I'm making wallaby strog tonight, and I've never really stuck to any
> particular recipe for stroganoff - I've never made a truly 'authentic'
> one, put it that way. Was wondering if anyone here has a favourite?

I'd say that the "authentic" ones are certainly worth trying, even with
the beef replaced by the wallaby. The recipes are relative latecomers
and are not traditional in the context of the national cuisine, but they
have passed the test of time and remain very popular.

> Hopefully I have all the main ingredients. I have garlic, mushrooms,
> sour cream, tomato paste, rice and spaghetti... thanks in advance for
> any recipes or tips.

Here is the earliest recorded recipe for beef named after Count
Stroganoff, which I posted before. It first appeared in the 1871
edition of E.I. Molokhovets' famous cookbook, _A Gift to Young
Housewives_. I translated it almost literally from the reprint of the
original. Notice that the ingredient list lacks stock and onions called
for in the instructions. Also, the recipe obviously assumes an
old-style wood-fired stove.

Govyadina po-stroganovski s gorchitsej
Beef à la Stroganov with mustard

Ingredients:
3 pounds tender beef
salt
10-15 "English pepper(corns)" (allspice berries)
1/4 pound butter
1 (table)spoon flour
2 tablespoons sour cream
1 teaspoon Sarepta mustard (*)
1 (table)spoon tomato (paste)

Two hours before the start of cooking, take a tender piece of beef, cut
it, raw, into small squares, sprinkle with salt and some pepper
(allspice). Before dinner, take half of 1/8 lb (i.e. 1/16 lb) butter
and 1 (table)spoon flour, mix, fry lightly, dilute with 2 glasses stock,
cook through, add 1 teaspoon of prepared Sarepta mustard, a little
pepper, mix, cook through, strain. Before serving, add 2 tablespoons of
the freshest sour cream and a spoon of the already fried tomato (paste).
Over high heat, fry the beef with butter and onions, place it in the
sauce, cover tightly, put for 1/4 hour at the edge of the stove, cook
through, serve.

(*) Hot mustard made with brown mustard seeds (Brassica juncea Czern.),
named after the town of Sarepta. [VS]

And here is a recipe according to the official GOST standard of the
former Soviet Union (yes, even recipes were officially standardised
there). The recipe is based on the one in the recently published book
by Alyona Spirina, _Soviet Cuisine according to the GOST_. I've just
translated it on the fly, somewhat compacting it.

Govyadina po-stroganovski
6 servings

1 kg (2.2 pounds) beef fillet/filet/tenderloin
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
50 g (1.8 oz) butter
2 large onions
250 g (9 oz) small button mushrooms
1 tablespoon hot mustard
2 tablespoons curly parsley, finely chopped
100 g (3.5 oz) sour cream of 30% fat content
100 g (3.5 oz) strong beef stock
2 tablespoons flour
salt, ground black pepper

1. Slice the onion in thin half-rings, the mushrooms in thin slices.

2. Slice the meat in 1-cm(0.4-inch)-thick rectangular prisms.

3. Put the oil and 1/2 of the butter in a large frying pan and melt the
butter over medium heat. Add the onions, salt and pepper. Fry until
the onions are transparent.

4. Add the mushrooms and fry for 2-3 minutes. The mushrooms should
just soften a bit. Remove the onions and mushrooms and set aside.

5. Put the sliced meat in a bag, pour in the flour and shake the bag to
cover each strip with flour. Tip into a colander and shake off excess
flour.

6. In the pan, melt the rest of the butter and over high heat brown the
meat in batches, removing each batch to the dish with the onions and
mushrooms.

7. Mix the sour cream and mustard, add the stock and mix well.

8. Return to the frying pan the onions, mushrooms and the browned meat,
pour in the sour cream-mustard-stock mixture and heat through for 1-2
minutes (or for up to 15-20 minutes if the meat cuts used are tougher).

9. Sprinkle the meat with the finely chopped parsley. Serve with
mashed potatoes, buckwheat kasha, rice, or buttered wide egg noodles.

Victor

not Stroganoff aem General Cooking 22 07-03-2010 01:37 AM
Stroganoff telephone General Cooking 29 10-11-2008 11:41 PM
Stroganoff Me General Cooking 13 23-01-2006 05:06 PM
BEEF STROGANOFF Duckie ® Recipes 0 28-06-2005 02:45 PM