Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

Default not Stroganoff

Due to a combination of unexpected factors I ended up with a leftover
pork tenderloin, a little more than a pound. I sauteed a bunch of
mushrooms, maybe 8 oz., in a generous dollop of butter, squeezing the
juice of a lime over them as they cooked. Then I sliced the
tenderloin thinly and added that to the mushrooms. Stirred in sour
cream until all heated through and served it over rice. It was
lacking something, or maybe several somethings, but I excused myself
because I was tired. Looking back, I think I had the beginnings of
something that could have been pretty good if I figured out what to
add. Onion? Worcestershire? Tomato paste? Sherry? Parsley in some
way other than a garnish sprinkle? What would you have done? -aem
Posted to rec.food.cooking

aem wrote on Fri, 5 Mar 2010 06:41:16 -0800 (PST):

> Due to a combination of unexpected factors I ended up with a
> leftover pork tenderloin, a little more than a pound. I
> sauteed a bunch of mushrooms, maybe 8 oz., in a generous
> dollop of butter, squeezing the juice of a lime over them as
> they cooked. Then I sliced the tenderloin thinly and added
> that to the mushrooms. Stirred in sour cream until all heated
> through and served it over rice. It was lacking something, or
> maybe several somethings, but I excused myself because I was
> tired. Looking back, I think I had the beginnings of
> something that could have been pretty good if I figured out
> what to add. Onion? Worcestershire? Tomato paste? Sherry?
> Parsley in some way other than a garnish sprinkle? What would
> you have done? -aem

I would say that paprika is definitely missing and, as you mention,
onions.
--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 5, 6:41*am, aem > wrote:
> Due to a combination of unexpected factors I ended up with a leftover
> pork tenderloin, a little more than a pound. *I sauteed a bunch of
> mushrooms, maybe 8 oz., in a generous dollop of butter, squeezing the
> juice of a lime over them as they cooked. *Then I sliced the
> tenderloin thinly and added that to the mushrooms. *Stirred in sour
> cream until all heated through and served it over rice. *It was
> lacking something, or maybe several somethings, but I excused myself
> because I was tired. *Looking back, I think I had the beginnings of
> something that could have been pretty good if I figured out what to
> add. *Onion? *Worcestershire? *Tomato paste? *Sherry? *Parsley in some
> way other than a garnish sprinkle? *What would you have done? * *-aem

Started with sautéed onions and crushed garlic, added in the mushrooms
when the onions caramelized, added in the pork like you, a dash of
Worcestershire sauce, some tomato paste, and then some crème fraiche
(the daughter units can all taste sour cream when I sneak it into a
dish.) There really is a difference when you don't add the onions and
garlic, Worcestershire sauce and tomato paste. Thanks for the idea;
I've got a tenderloin sitting in the fridge that I was going to bake
in a salt cover; think your dish sounds easier and more fulfilling.

The Ranger
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"aem" > wrote in message
> Due to a combination of unexpected factors I ended up with a leftover
> pork tenderloin, a little more than a pound. I sauteed a bunch of
> mushrooms, maybe 8 oz., in a generous dollop of butter, squeezing the
> juice of a lime over them as they cooked. Then I sliced the
> tenderloin thinly and added that to the mushrooms. Stirred in sour
> cream until all heated through and served it over rice. It was
> lacking something, or maybe several somethings, but I excused myself
> because I was tired. Looking back, I think I had the beginnings of
> something that could have been pretty good if I figured out what to
> add. Onion? Worcestershire? Tomato paste? Sherry? Parsley in some
> way other than a garnish sprinkle? What would you have done? -aem

1. The lime juice is a little sweet - at any rate sweeter than lemon
juice.
2. The acid in the citrus juice cuts the oiliness (is there such a word?)
of the butter. good choice.
3. Onions add a lot of flavor to any meat dish.
4. I really like the flavor of mustard with pork - I would have been
tempted to use some Dijon to the dish.

--
Dimitri

Searing

http://kitchenguide.wordpress.com.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Mar 5, 10:14 am, "Dimitri" > wrote:
[snip]
> 4. I really like the flavor of mustard with pork - I would have been
> tempted to use some Dijon to the dish.

Oh, good idea. I already knew from my stroganoff experience that
tomato paste wouldn't do much for me, but a little Dijon would have
been right on. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
aem > wrote:

> Due to a combination of unexpected factors I ended up with a leftover
> pork tenderloin, a little more than a pound. I sauteed a bunch of
> mushrooms, maybe 8 oz., in a generous dollop of butter, squeezing the
> juice of a lime over them as they cooked. Then I sliced the
> tenderloin thinly and added that to the mushrooms. Stirred in sour
> cream until all heated through and served it over rice. It was
> lacking something, or maybe several somethings, but I excused myself
> because I was tired. Looking back, I think I had the beginnings of
> something that could have been pretty good if I figured out what to
> add. Onion? Worcestershire? Tomato paste? Sherry? Parsley in some
> way other than a garnish sprinkle? What would you have done? -aem

There is nothing wrong with keeping it simple. Maybe a little dry
Vermouth, granulated garlic and a few fresh parsley leaves. A browned
Onion would not hurt but would (imho) not be necessary.

Maybe some MSG <eg>
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
aem > wrote:

> On Mar 5, 10:14 am, "Dimitri" > wrote:
> [snip]
> > 4. I really like the flavor of mustard with pork - I would have been
> > tempted to use some Dijon to the dish.
> >

> Oh, good idea. I already knew from my stroganoff experience that
> tomato paste wouldn't do much for me, but a little Dijon would have
> been right on. -aem

I agree. I'm still discovering all the cool uses for Mustard. It's a
nice flavoring for a lot of things.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 5, 8:41*am, aem > wrote:
> Due to a combination of unexpected factors I ended up with a leftover
> pork tenderloin, a little more than a pound. *I sauteed a bunch of
> mushrooms, maybe 8 oz., in a generous dollop of butter, squeezing the
> juice of a lime over them as they cooked. *Then I sliced the
> tenderloin thinly and added that to the mushrooms. *Stirred in sour
> cream until all heated through and served it over rice. *It was
> lacking something, or maybe several somethings, but I excused myself
> because I was tired. *Looking back, I think I had the beginnings of
> something that could have been pretty good if I figured out what to
> add. *Onion? *Worcestershire? *Tomato paste? *Sherry? *Parsley in some
> way other than a garnish sprinkle? *What would you have done? * *-aem

It seems to have needed some kind of hearty flavor - broth - even
vegetable broth would have given it some substance. You could have
used veg broth with some pork "Better than Boullion" added - a little
spritz of Worcestershire sauce wouldn't hurt, either. Plenty of
pepper, too, if you like it.

The basic problem was you had "bare nekkid" sour cream and also that
pork really doesn't have a lot of flavor any more. At least the way I
read it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 5, 8:51*am, The Ranger > wrote:
> On Mar 5, 6:41*am, aem > wrote:
>
> > Due to a combination of unexpected factors I ended up with a leftover
> > pork tenderloin, a little more than a pound. *I sauteed a bunch of
> > mushrooms, maybe 8 oz., in a generous dollop of butter, squeezing the
> > juice of a lime over them as they cooked. *Then I sliced the
> > tenderloin thinly and added that to the mushrooms. *Stirred in sour
> > cream until all heated through and served it over rice. *It was
> > lacking something, or maybe several somethings, but I excused myself
> > because I was tired. *Looking back, I think I had the beginnings of
> > something that could have been pretty good if I figured out what to
> > add. *Onion? *Worcestershire? *Tomato paste? *Sherry? *Parsley in some
> > way other than a garnish sprinkle? *What would you have done? * *-aem

> Started with sautéed onions and crushed garlic, added in the mushrooms
> when the onions caramelized, added in the pork like you, a dash of
> Worcestershire sauce, some tomato paste, and then some crème fraiche
> (the daughter units can all taste sour cream when I sneak it into a
> dish.) There really is a difference when you don't add the onions and
> garlic, Worcestershire sauce and tomato paste. Thanks for the idea;
> I've got a tenderloin sitting in the fridge that I was going to bake
> in a salt cover; think your dish sounds easier and more fulfilling.
>
> The Ranger

I don't think I'd put tomato paste (or sauce) in it - that's not
really a stroganoff take on it....but that's just me.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"aem" > wrote in message
> Due to a combination of unexpected factors I ended up with a leftover
> pork tenderloin, a little more than a pound. I sauteed a bunch of
> mushrooms, maybe 8 oz., in a generous dollop of butter, squeezing the
> juice of a lime over them as they cooked. Then I sliced the
> tenderloin thinly and added that to the mushrooms. Stirred in sour
> cream until all heated through and served it over rice. It was
> lacking something, or maybe several somethings, but I excused myself
> because I was tired. Looking back, I think I had the beginnings of
> something that could have been pretty good if I figured out what to
> add. Onion? Worcestershire? Tomato paste? Sherry? Parsley in some
> way other than a garnish sprinkle? What would you have done? -aem

Worcestershire. And served it over noodles

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 5, 8:51*am, The Ranger > wrote:

> (the daughter units can all taste sour cream when I sneak it into a
> dish.)

Just tell them it's ***, they can probably relate to that much more
easily.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
projectile vomit chick > wrote:

> On Mar 5, 8:51*am, The Ranger > wrote:
> >
> > (the daughter units can all taste sour cream when I sneak it into a
> > dish.)

> Just tell them it's ***, they can probably relate to that much more
> easily.

Ok, that was gross. Even for you. ;-+
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

aem > wrote:

> Due to a combination of unexpected factors I ended up with a leftover
> pork tenderloin, a little more than a pound. I sauteed a bunch of
> mushrooms, maybe 8 oz., in a generous dollop of butter, squeezing the
> juice of a lime over them as they cooked. Then I sliced the
> tenderloin thinly and added that to the mushrooms. Stirred in sour
> cream until all heated through and served it over rice. It was
> lacking something, or maybe several somethings, but I excused myself
> because I was tired. Looking back, I think I had the beginnings of
> something that could have been pretty good if I figured out what to
> add. Onion? Worcestershire? Tomato paste? Sherry? Parsley in some
> way other than a garnish sprinkle? What would you have done? -aem

In Germany, that would be called Geschnetzeltes vom Schwein. People
would add some or all of the following: onions, celery, carrots, leeks,
bell peppers, garlic, mustard, white wine.

In Russia, it would be called skoblyanka, an unfortunately
semi-forgotten dish that may well have been a precursor of beef
Stroganoff. Originally, it was made with veal, but other meats,
poultry, game and even fish have also been used. People would add
onions, flour and broth. This dish is often cooked with potatoes.

In Hungary, this kind of dish would be close enough to sertéstokány or
csikóstokány (respectively pork- or cowboy's tokány). Such additions as
onions, bacon, marjoram, paprika, green pepper or lecsó, garlic,
tomatoes or tomato purée would be typical.

Victor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 5 Mar 2010 06:41:16 -0800 (PST), aem >
wrote:

> Due to a combination of unexpected factors I ended up with a leftover
> pork tenderloin, a little more than a pound. I sauteed a bunch of
> mushrooms, maybe 8 oz., in a generous dollop of butter, squeezing the
> juice of a lime over them as they cooked. Then I sliced the
> tenderloin thinly and added that to the mushrooms. Stirred in sour
> cream until all heated through and served it over rice. It was
> lacking something, or maybe several somethings, but I excused myself
> because I was tired. Looking back, I think I had the beginnings of
> something that could have been pretty good if I figured out what to
> add. Onion? Worcestershire? Tomato paste? Sherry? Parsley in some
> way other than a garnish sprinkle? What would you have done? -aem

Onion, Worcestershire and sherry are naturals with pork. Season with
thyme (and garlic) too.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>Due to a combination of unexpected factors I ended up with a leftover
>pork tenderloin, a little more than a pound. I sauteed a bunch of
>mushrooms, maybe 8 oz., in a generous dollop of butter, squeezing the
>juice of a lime over them as they cooked. Then I sliced the
>tenderloin thinly and added that to the mushrooms. Stirred in sour
>cream until all heated through and served it over rice. It was
>lacking something, or maybe several somethings, but I excused myself
>because I was tired. Looking back, I think I had the beginnings of
>something that could have been pretty good if I figured out what to
>add. Onion? Worcestershire? Tomato paste? Sherry? Parsley in some
>way other than a garnish sprinkle? What would you have done? -aem

aem, I just read through the responses, you got some great ideas, many
of which I will use. Thanks for asking the question.

koko
--

There is no love more sincere than the love of food
George Bernard Shaw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 wrote:

>> Due to a combination of unexpected factors I ended up with a leftover
>> pork tenderloin, a little more than a pound. I sauteed a bunch of
>> mushrooms, maybe 8 oz., in a generous dollop of butter, squeezing the
>> juice of a lime over them as they cooked. Then I sliced the tenderloin
>> thinly and added that to the mushrooms. Stirred in sour cream until all
>> heated through and served it over rice. It was lacking something, or
>> maybe several somethings, but I excused myself because I was tired.
>> Looking back, I think I had the beginnings of something that could have
>> been pretty good if I figured out what to add. Onion? Worcestershire?
>> Tomato paste? Sherry? Parsley in some way other than a garnish sprinkle?
>> What would you have done? -aem

> The basic problem was you had "bare nekkid" sour cream and also that pork
> really doesn't have a lot of flavor any more. At least the way I read it.

Your comment about tasteless pork reminded me of my first impression after
reading the original post: "BEEF is what was missing!"

But I agree with the others that onion would have been good in there (cooked
with the mushrooms). Either thyme or dill would have been good herbs to add
during cooking. Garlic too, especially if using dill. Maybe garnish with
chives or sliced scallion greens. I don't think I'd add any booze at all.

The recipe is slightly reminiscent of blanquette de veau, a recipe for which
can be seen at
<http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Cafe-Bouluds-Blanquette-de-Veau-103000>

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

aem wrote:
> On Mar 5, 10:14 am, "Dimitri" > wrote:
> [snip]
>> 4. I really like the flavor of mustard with pork - I would have been
>> tempted to use some Dijon to the dish.
>>

> Oh, good idea. I already knew from my stroganoff experience that
> tomato paste wouldn't do much for me, but a little Dijon would have
> been right on. -aem

In addition to things you have mentioned (possibly onions and
Worcestershire sauce--and paprika; or onions, white wine and
paprika), I was thinking of a coarse, seedy mustard. (I still
have to work out a nice mustard cream sauce.)

--
Jean B.

All truth passes through three stages.
First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently
opposed. Third, it is accepted as being
self-evident. --Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 5 Mar 2010 10:14:23 -0800, Dimitri wrote:

> "aem" > wrote in message
>> Due to a combination of unexpected factors I ended up with a leftover
>> pork tenderloin, a little more than a pound. I sauteed a bunch of
>> mushrooms, maybe 8 oz., in a generous dollop of butter, squeezing the
>> juice of a lime over them as they cooked. Then I sliced the
>> tenderloin thinly and added that to the mushrooms. Stirred in sour
>> cream until all heated through and served it over rice. It was
>> lacking something, or maybe several somethings, but I excused myself
>> because I was tired. Looking back, I think I had the beginnings of
>> something that could have been pretty good if I figured out what to
>> add. Onion? Worcestershire? Tomato paste? Sherry? Parsley in some
>> way other than a garnish sprinkle? What would you have done? -aem

> 1. The lime juice is a little sweet - at any rate sweeter than lemon
> juice.

that seems odd to me. i like both lemon and lime juice in a lot of things,
but i perceive lime juice as being more on the bitter side than lemon.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Mar 5, 10:14 am, "Dimitri" > wrote:

> 1. The lime juice is a little sweet - at any rate sweeter than lemon
> juice.

But I *always* have surplus limes. Two prolific trees, versus one
lemon tree, which is a sporadic producer. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jean B." > wrote in message

> In addition to things you have mentioned (possibly onions and
> Worcestershire sauce--and paprika; or onions, white wine and paprika), I
> was thinking of a coarse, seedy mustard. (I still have to work out a nice
> mustard cream sauce.)
>
> --
> Jean B.

Jean, the mustard honey sauce in this recipe is excellent. I and my sister
were both surprised at how unusually good it was. The OP is posting here
again, too.
I did make the rice separately, and the sauce, and then served the breasts
on a portion of rice with the sauce as a side for pouring or dipping.

Boli

Subject: ckicken on bone recipe wanted
Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2002 17:46:48 -0400
From: Billy >
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Baked Chicken Breasts W/ Honey Mustard Sauce

main dish, poultry

1 cup rice
2 1/2 cup chicken stock
3 chicken breasts
1 cup plain yogurt
1/2 cup honey
1/3 cup dijon mustard
2 tablespoon dark brown sugar
1 tablespoon soy sauce

Heat oven to 375F. with rack in center position.

Spray a 2-quart casserole with Pam. Pour rice over bottom of prepared dish,
then pour in broth. Rinse chicken and pat it dry with paper towels. Remove
chicken skin if desired. Layer the chicken over the rice.

Combine remaining ingredients, mix well, and spread over the chicken. Cover
loosely with foil and bake 40-50 minutes. Remove the foil and continue
baking 10 minutes more.

Yield: 6 servings

Posted to rec.food.cooking

bolivar wrote:
> "Jean B." > wrote in message
>> In addition to things you have mentioned (possibly onions and
>> Worcestershire sauce--and paprika; or onions, white wine and paprika), I
>> was thinking of a coarse, seedy mustard. (I still have to work out a nice
>> mustard cream sauce.)
>>
>> --
>> Jean B.

> Jean, the mustard honey sauce in this recipe is excellent. I and my sister
> were both surprised at how unusually good it was. The OP is posting here
> again, too.
> I did make the rice separately, and the sauce, and then served the breasts
> on a portion of rice with the sauce as a side for pouring or dipping.
>
> Boli
>

> Subject: ckicken on bone recipe wanted
> Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2002 17:46:48 -0400
> From: Billy >
> Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
>
> @@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format
>
> Baked Chicken Breasts W/ Honey Mustard Sauce
>
> main dish, poultry
>
> 1 cup rice
> 2 1/2 cup chicken stock
> 3 chicken breasts
> 1 cup plain yogurt
> 1/2 cup honey
> 1/3 cup dijon mustard
> 2 tablespoon dark brown sugar
> 1 tablespoon soy sauce
>
> Heat oven to 375F. with rack in center position.
>
> Spray a 2-quart casserole with Pam. Pour rice over bottom of prepared dish,
> then pour in broth. Rinse chicken and pat it dry with paper towels. Remove
> chicken skin if desired. Layer the chicken over the rice.
>
> Combine remaining ingredients, mix well, and spread over the chicken. Cover
> loosely with foil and bake 40-50 minutes. Remove the foil and continue
> baking 10 minutes more.
>
> Yield: 6 servings
>
> ** Exported from Now You're Cooking! v5.52 **

That does sound interesting. Thanks! And yes, I noticed (or
again noticed) the OP's current name here.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 5, 3:07*pm, projectile vomit chick
> wrote:
> On Mar 5, 8:51*am, The Ranger > wrote:
>

> > (the daughter units can all taste sour cream when I sneak it into a
> > dish.)

> Just tell them it's ***, they can probably relate to that much more
> easily.

Any father who tries "sneak it into" something he's giving his
daughters ought to have enough shame not to admit it on Usenet.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 5, 3:42*pm, Omelet > wrote:
> In article
> >,
> *projectile vomit chick > wrote:
>
> > On Mar 5, 8:51*am, The Ranger > wrote:

> > > (the daughter units can all taste sour cream when I sneak it into a
> > > dish.)

> > Just tell them it's ***, they can probably relate to that much more
> > easily.

> Ok, that was gross. Even for you. ;-+

Parents shouldn't "sneak it into a dish," whatever the heck "it" is.
I do agree that semen as an ingredient is just wrong, a lot wronger
than soup packets, jarred mayonnaise, ketchup, or even canned French
fried onions.

> --
> Peace! Om

--Bryan

Stroganoff. Jeßus[_3_] General Cooking 44 16-02-2014 09:59 PM
Stroganoff telephone General Cooking 29 10-11-2008 11:41 PM
Stroganoff Me General Cooking 13 23-01-2006 05:06 PM
BEEF STROGANOFF Duckie ® Recipes 0 28-06-2005 02:45 PM