Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Celeriac root and celery sticks

Google has fooled me here. Despite quite a lot of research I am still not
sure whether or not celery sticks are cut from celeriac roots or whether
they are different plants. Would someone kindly enlighten me?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Emrys Davies" > wrote in message
> Google has fooled me here. Despite quite a lot of research I am still
> not sure whether or not celery sticks are cut from celeriac roots or
> whether they are different plants. Would someone kindly enlighten me?

Celariac is like a big turnip and tastes like aniseed to me The sticks
come from regular celery!

http://tinyurl.com/p7czsl5

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/12/2014 6:43 PM, Emrys Davies wrote:
> Google has fooled me here. Despite quite a lot of research I am still
> not sure whether or not celery sticks are cut from celeriac roots or
> whether they are different plants. Would someone kindly enlighten me?

Really? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celeriac

"Celeriac (Apium graveolens var. rapaceum), also called turnip-rooted
celery[3] or knob celery, is a variety of celery cultivated for its
edible roots, hypocotyl, and shoots; these are sometimes collectively
(but erroneously) called celery root."

It has nothing to do with celery if you're talking about the kind you
chop to add to soup or stew. Or sometimes stuff with peanut butter or a
cream cheese dip and serve as a chilled appetizer circa 1966.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Emrys Davies" > wrote in message
> Google has fooled me here. Despite quite a lot of research I am still
> not sure whether or not celery sticks are cut from celeriac roots or
> whether they are different plants. Would someone kindly enlighten me?

Celery sticks are simply the ribs cut from celery stalks. Celeriac is a
different thing entirely.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Emrys Davies" > wrote in message
>> Google has fooled me here. Despite quite a lot of research I am still
>> not sure whether or not celery sticks are cut from celeriac roots or
>> whether they are different plants. Would someone kindly enlighten me?

> Celery sticks are simply the ribs cut from celery stalks. Celeriac is a
> different thing entirely.

Thanks every one. Everything is clear now.