Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Celery root success!

Jim loves tomatoes. I don't. Each year we plant tomatoes. Each year
they grow magnificently well with practically no attention. Each year
Jim feasts on fresh tomatoes and exclaims over how wonderful they are.

We also try growing other vegetables. Either they don't grow and get
bug eaten, or they grow and are as good as anything I could get in the
supermarket except the supermarket produce is more convenient and a lot
less trouble.

This year, celeriac. We put 6 seedlings in the ground. The guy at the
nursery was careful to warn us that we were buying celery root, not
celery. At some point in August, I couldn't tell if it was time to
harvest. I dug one up, was disappointed, and tried burying it again.

Yesterday, I had my first try of success. They're the perfect big fist
size. They're tasty. They're better than any I've found in the
supermarket assuming I've been able to find them in the supermarket.
They're cream colored inside, firm, no pithy part in the middle, and
taste oh so wonderful.

I juiced a lemon into a bowl, used the cuisinart to slice them thin,
then put a spoonful of mayonnaise and a spoonful of sour cream on top.
A good stir, a little dill and salt, and I had it. Heaven.

A good friend who gets majorly ill from any dairy product is coming over
tonight. (That includes the things that most lactose intolerent people
can eat, special milk, cheese, goat cheese, and those little pills that
are supposed to help.) I want to show her my remaining celeriacs and am
going back and forth between putting one in a beef stew or baking it
with potatoes. Jim says I should just make the salad again and use all
mayonnaise instead of sour cream, but that doesn't sound appealing to me.

Any best non-dairy celeriac ideas?

--Lia

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Julia Altshuler > wrote:
> I juiced a lemon into a bowl, used the cuisinart to slice them thin,
> then put a spoonful of mayonnaise and a spoonful of sour cream on top.
> A good stir, a little dill and salt, and I had it. Heaven.
>

> A good friend who gets majorly ill from any dairy product is coming over
> tonight. (That includes the things that most lactose intolerent people
> can eat, special milk, cheese, goat cheese, and those little pills that
> are supposed to help.) I want to show her my remaining celeriacs and am
> going back and forth between putting one in a beef stew or baking it
> with potatoes. Jim says I should just make the salad again and use all
> mayonnaise instead of sour cream, but that doesn't sound appealing to me.
>

> Any best non-dairy celeriac ideas?

You don't need mayo _or_ sour cream. For classic celeriac "remoulade",
use salt and lemon juice to soak matchstick/shredded celery root
for 30 minutes, rinse and drain. Then whip dijon mustard with hot water
and whip in olive oil and a bit more salt and lemon juice. Julia's
recipe (in _Art_ vol. 1) gives (for 1 lb. celery root)

4 Tb strong Dijon-type mustard
3 Tb boiling water
Warm mixing bowl in hot water, drain and dry
add mustard and whip in boiling water by droplets
1/3 to 1/2 cup olive oil
Beat in the oil by droplets to make a thick creamy sauce

beat in 2 Tb. wine vinegar [or, lemon juice] + salt & pepper

marinate for 2-3 hours or overnight.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 21 Oct 2007 13:37:27 -0400, Julia Altshuler
> wrote:

>Any best non-dairy celeriac ideas?

Salads?

Google has a gazillion recipes that use celery root.
This looks interesting
http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/da...ele_9374.shtml

or this minus the shrimp
http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci...html?rsrc=like

I'd go for something w/o mayo (or sour cream) myself.

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smiley face first
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 21, 10:37 am, Julia Altshuler > wrote:
> A good friend who gets majorly ill from any dairy product is coming over
> tonight. (That includes the things that most lactose intolerent people
> can eat, special milk, cheese, goat cheese, and those little pills that
> are supposed to help.) I want to show her my remaining celeriacs and am
> going back and forth between putting one in a beef stew or baking it
> with potatoes. Jim says I should just make the salad again and use all
> mayonnaise instead of sour cream, but that doesn't sound appealing to me.
>
> Any best non-dairy celeriac ideas?

I just roasted celery root last night with chicken. Whole chicken, 2
lemons, quartered, head of garlic, cut cloves up, skin and all, 1/2
onion, rosemary, and celery root. Oh and roasted potatoes and carrots
in there, too. Love celery root!

Karen

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael Siemon wrote:

> You don't need mayo _or_ sour cream. For classic celeriac "remoulade",
> use salt and lemon juice to soak matchstick/shredded celery root
> for 30 minutes, rinse and drain. Then whip dijon mustard with hot water
> and whip in olive oil and a bit more salt and lemon juice. Julia's
> recipe (in _Art_ vol. 1) gives (for 1 lb. celery root)
>
> 4 Tb strong Dijon-type mustard
> 3 Tb boiling water
> Warm mixing bowl in hot water, drain and dry
> add mustard and whip in boiling water by droplets
> 1/3 to 1/2 cup olive oil
> Beat in the oil by droplets to make a thick creamy sauce
>
> beat in 2 Tb. wine vinegar [or, lemon juice] + salt & pepper
>
> marinate for 2-3 hours or overnight.

This is the one we tried, and it worked. Thanks! I didn't marinate it
overnight. I did make my friends come outside and see me dig up the
celeriac straight from the garden. Then they came in and got to see me
doing the whisking.

--Lia

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Julia Altshuler > wrote:

> Michael Siemon wrote:
> >
> > You don't need mayo _or_ sour cream. For classic celeriac "remoulade",
> > use salt and lemon juice to soak matchstick/shredded celery root
> > for 30 minutes, rinse and drain. Then whip dijon mustard with hot water
> > and whip in olive oil and a bit more salt and lemon juice. Julia's
> > recipe (in _Art_ vol. 1) gives (for 1 lb. celery root)
> >
> > 4 Tb strong Dijon-type mustard
> > 3 Tb boiling water
> > Warm mixing bowl in hot water, drain and dry
> > add mustard and whip in boiling water by droplets
> > 1/3 to 1/2 cup olive oil
> > Beat in the oil by droplets to make a thick creamy sauce
> >
> > beat in 2 Tb. wine vinegar [or, lemon juice] + salt & pepper
> >
> > marinate for 2-3 hours or overnight.

> This is the one we tried, and it worked. Thanks! I didn't marinate it
> overnight. I did make my friends come outside and see me dig up the
> celeriac straight from the garden. Then they came in and got to see me
> doing the whisking.
>

> --Lia

Kewl! As others have noted, celeriac is also great as a roasted veggie
with others when you're doing a hunk of meat in the oven. It is also
really nice in a puree with potatoes (and maybe cauliflower) -- that's
a great light alternative to mashed taters -- I usually saute some
shallots and maybe some garlic in butter/oil, and then allow them to
braise a bit in wine & chicken-stock[*]. Then plonk cubes of potato into
the braising liquid and top with celeriac chunks and/or cauliflower
florets, steam/braise for 10-15 minutes and then puree in a food
processor (or keep some texture by using a potato ricer...) and add
some snipped chives...
--[*] try adding some thyme or oregano or whatever during the braising...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael Siemon wrote:

> Kewl! As others have noted, celeriac is also great as a roasted veggie
> with others when you're doing a hunk of meat in the oven. It is also
> really nice in a puree with potatoes (and maybe cauliflower) -- that's
> a great light alternative to mashed taters -- I usually saute some
> shallots and maybe some garlic in butter/oil, and then allow them to
> braise a bit in wine & chicken-stock[*]. Then plonk cubes of potato into
> the braising liquid and top with celeriac chunks and/or cauliflower
> florets, steam/braise for 10-15 minutes and then puree in a food
> processor (or keep some texture by using a potato ricer...) and add
> some snipped chives...
> --
>[*] try adding some thyme or oregano or whatever during the braising...

I am SO planting a garden full of celeriac next year. At this point, I
only have 1 left of the original 6.

--Lia