Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Turkey Shortage

Batten down the hatches and get your bird early!
<http://www.click2houston.com/news/butterball-experiences-turkey-shortage-before-thanksgiving/-/1735978/22999284/-/x7k7jaz/-/index.html>
or http://tinyurl.com/kngftl8

I blame climate change. There's no need to fatten up for the winter
anymore.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/17/2013 8:46 AM, sf wrote:

> Batten down the hatches and get your bird early!
> <http://www.click2houston.com/news/butterball-experiences-turkey-shortage-before-thanksgiving/-/1735978/22999284/-/x7k7jaz/-/index.html>
> or http://tinyurl.com/kngftl8
>
> I blame climate change. There's no need to fatten up for the winter
> anymore.

I love this sentence: "The shortage only applies to the company's
fresh, never frozen whole turkeys in sizes 16 pounds and up."

Well, I certainly won't have to worry much about this one. I've never
bought a 16 lb. turkey (even frozen!).

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/17/2013 3:46 AM, sf wrote:

> Batten down the hatches and get your bird early!
> <http://www.click2houston.com/news/butterball-experiences-turkey-shortage-before-thanksgiving/-/1735978/22999284/-/x7k7jaz/-/index.html>
> or http://tinyurl.com/kngftl8
>
> I blame climate change. There's no need to fatten up for the winter
> anymore.

Turkeys that don't get fat is most alarming. That sounds like a bunch of
corporate hogwash.

I was expecting to travel to the other island the day before
Thanksgiving. The company I'm helping out was probably surprised that I
agreed to do it but I thought it would be great to get out of Dodge and
weasel my way out of cooking. Unfortunately, they chickened out. That's
the breaks.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-11-17, jmcquown > wrote:

> Well, I certainly won't have to worry much about this one. I've never
> bought a 16 lb. turkey (even frozen!).

No loss. I don't recall who, but someone did a big throwdown between
a buncha turkeys, frozen and fresh. The cheapest ($.59lb) frozen
turkey won.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney wrote:

>I don't buy Butterballs anyway..they have too many additives. I
>would rather buy fresh...even a heritage turkey.

The Tops market in town has store brand birds (all natural) 49¢/lb
w/$25 purchase, works for me. I won't buy butterball or any other
*enhanced* bird. Since with Barney & Kali I have seven cats to feed I
will choose a big bird. We'll also be having roasted sweet potatoes,
brussels sprouts, and a huge quantity of kasha varnishkas... I abhor
stuffing - grease laden bread crumbs - blech!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 17 Nov 2013 11:52:30 -0800, Christine Dabney
> wrote:

>On Sun, 17 Nov 2013 05:46:33 -0800, sf > wrote:
>

>>Batten down the hatches and get your bird early!
>><http://www.click2houston.com/news/butterball-experiences-turkey-shortage-before-thanksgiving/-/1735978/22999284/-/x7k7jaz/-/index.html>
>>or http://tinyurl.com/kngftl8
>>
>>I blame climate change. There's no need to fatten up for the winter
>>anymore.

>I think that must be Butterball turkeys. I don't see a shortage
>anywhere else.
>I don't buy Butterballs anyway..they have too many additives. I
>would rather buy fresh...even a heritage turkey.
>
>Christine

Our turkey this year is coming from a farm about 20 miles from here.
It will be fresh, delivered on Tuesday. We had a frozen one from
there last year and it was very good.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Big birds are good, if you can eventually use it all. The bones weigh the same, more or less, in every size bird,
so you get more for the money in a big bird. At least that is what I have read multiple times over the years.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 18 Nov 2013 09:35:52 -0800 (PST), Nancy2
> wrote:

>Big birds are good, if you can eventually use it all. The bones weigh the same, more or less, in every size bird,
>so you get more for the money in a big bird. At least that is what I have read multiple times over the years.
>
>N.

I bought a huge turkey last year the day after Thanksgiving at
Costco. They were clearing them out cheap to make room for Christmas
hams. That bird just fit in my sink and parting it out for freezing
was a whole new experience. I wasn't prepared for the really large
bones and how difficult it would be to cut the rib cage. We finished
off the 26 pound bird during the summer. Each half of the breast went
in the smoker at separate times. The dog got the drums as dog food
supplement. It was a good investment.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 18 Nov 2013 09:35:52 -0800 (PST), Nancy2
> wrote:

>Big birds are good, if you can eventually use it all. The bones weigh the same, more or less, in every size bird,
>so you get more for the money in a big bird. At least that is what I have read multiple times over the years.

Actually not. The meat to bone ratio is more economical
with smaller birds, a tom will have significately less meat to bone
than a hen. For those having a large gathering I suggest two hens
rather than one tom, and a bird at each end of a long table is much
easier to serve and I think makes a nicer presentation. Two smaller
birds are easy to roast in an oven at the same time too, also
takes less roasting time. Smaller birds are much easier to carve. And
two birds give four drumsticks and four wings, for those who desire
them.
I purchased my turkey today, a 15 pound hen, plenty enough for my cats
too.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 18 Nov 2013 16:48:01 -0500, Brooklyn1
> wrote:

>On Mon, 18 Nov 2013 09:35:52 -0800 (PST), Nancy2
> wrote:
>
>>Big birds are good, if you can eventually use it all. The bones weigh the same, more or less, in every size bird,
>>so you get more for the money in a big bird. At least that is what I have read multiple times over the years.

>Actually not. The meat to bone ratio is more economical
>with smaller birds, a tom will have significately less meat to bone
>than a hen. For those having a large gathering I suggest two hens
>rather than one tom, and a bird at each end of a long table is much
>easier to serve and I think makes a nicer presentation. Two smaller
>birds are easy to roast in an oven at the same time too, also
>takes less roasting time. Smaller birds are much easier to carve. And
>two birds give four drumsticks and four wings, for those who desire
>them.
>I purchased my turkey today, a 15 pound hen, plenty enough for my cats
>too.

All excellent points. I got my turkey today too. I couldn't pass up
the $.48 per pound.
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-11-18 4:48 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Nov 2013 09:35:52 -0800 (PST), Nancy2
> > wrote:
>
>> Big birds are good, if you can eventually use it all. The bones weigh the same, more or less, in every size bird,
>> so you get more for the money in a big bird. At least that is what I have read multiple times over the years.

> Actually not. The meat to bone ratio is more economical
> with smaller birds,

Actually.... yes. She is right. The bigger the bird the higher the meat
to none ratio.

a tom will have significately less meat to bone
> than a hen. For those having a large gathering I suggest two hens
> rather than one tom, and a bird at each end of a long table is much
> easier to serve and I think makes a nicer presentation. Two smaller
> birds are easy to roast in an oven at the same time too, also
> takes less roasting time. Smaller birds are much easier to carve. And
> two birds give four drumsticks and four wings, for those who desire
> them.

That part I would agree with. Maybe it depends on the crowd you are
feeding. When I had one of my brothers, his wife, kids. DiL and
grandchildren over for Christmas there was not enough dark meat. All but
one of them wanted dark meat. Another Christmas I had a different
brother, his wife, daughter, in-laws..... all white meat eaters.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 18 Nov 2013 17:18:43 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> On 2013-11-18 4:48 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>
> a tom will have significately less meat to bone
> > than a hen. For those having a large gathering I suggest two hens
> > rather than one tom, and a bird at each end of a long table is much
> > easier to serve and I think makes a nicer presentation. Two smaller
> > birds are easy to roast in an oven at the same time too, also
> > takes less roasting time. Smaller birds are much easier to carve. And
> > two birds give four drumsticks and four wings, for those who desire
> > them.

> That part I would agree with. Maybe it depends on the crowd you are
> feeding. When I had one of my brothers, his wife, kids. DiL and
> grandchildren over for Christmas there was not enough dark meat. All but
> one of them wanted dark meat. Another Christmas I had a different
> brother, his wife, daughter, in-laws..... all white meat eaters.

If you know these things ahead of time, then you can buy a smallish
bird and extra light or dark parts to boost the quantity of whichever
is it they like best. Oh, well.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, November 18, 2013 5:18:43 PM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2013-11-18 4:48 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 18 Nov 2013 09:35:52 -0800 (PST), Nancy2

> > > wrote:

> >> Big birds are good, if you can eventually use it all. The bones weigh the same, more or less, in every size bird,

> >> so you get more for the money in a big bird. At least that is what I have read multiple times over the years.

> > Actually not. The meat to bone ratio is more economical

> > with smaller birds,

> Actually.... yes. She is right. The bigger the bird the higher the meat
>
> to none ratio.
>

> a tom will have significately less meat to bone
>
> > than a hen. For those having a large gathering I suggest two hens

> > rather than one tom, and a bird at each end of a long table is much

> > easier to serve and I think makes a nicer presentation. Two smaller

> > birds are easy to roast in an oven at the same time too, also

> > takes less roasting time. Smaller birds are much easier to carve. And

> > two birds give four drumsticks and four wings, for those who desire

> > them.

> That part I would agree with. Maybe it depends on the crowd you are
>
> feeding. When I had one of my brothers, his wife, kids. DiL and
>
> grandchildren over for Christmas there was not enough dark meat. All but
>
> one of them wanted dark meat. Another Christmas I had a different
>
> brother, his wife, daughter, in-laws..... all white meat eaters.

If Sheldon says it, you can bank on the opposite being true. Watch a while and see if I'm not right.