Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Ham shortage?

The Mom Food Project for the week was going to be her ham with pineapple
gravy, so I went to Safeway, where I usually go when I want to buy a lot
of meat. No hams. None. Well, a glazed spiral cut one (one!), and some
ham steaks, and some turkey ham, but um, no.

Went to the Berkeley Bowl, my local grocery with the great meat
department. No hams. Some ham steaks, but otherwise nothing.

No hams! Is it just not the right time of year? the last time I bought a
ham, it was for a holiday, so it was easy to find. Is it hard to find
the rest of the year?

(We're going to end up having pork enchiladas instead. I found a bone-in
pork butt for $4.50 a pound, and I'm pressure-cooking it now -- half of
it will go in the enchiladas, and half will be for sandwiches later in
the week.)

ObRFC: I'll be using this enchilada sauce recipe, posted by Becca in
2002, but with pork stock instead of chicken:

Enchilada Sauce

12 New Mexico dried chiles
1/2 onion, quartered
4 cloves garlic
1 qt boiling chicken broth
1-2 tblsp Masa Harina
salt to taste

Remove stems and seeds from chiles and rinse. Combine chiles, onion,
garlic and boiling chicken broth in a blender and allow to sit for 10
minutes. Puree until smooth. To thicken, and add flavor, I will us a
tablespoon or two of Masa Harina, then salt to taste.

Instead of using a food processor or blender, you can bring the
chicken stock to a boil, add the chiles, onion and garlic, then use the
hand held immersion blender in the pot.

Serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene Vannoy > wrote:

>ObRFC: I'll be using this enchilada sauce recipe, posted by Becca in
>2002, but with pork stock instead of chicken:
>
> Enchilada Sauce
>
> 12 New Mexico dried chiles
>1/2 onion, quartered
> 4 cloves garlic
> 1 qt boiling chicken broth
>1-2 tblsp Masa Harina
> salt to taste

>Remove stems and seeds from chiles and rinse. Combine chiles, onion,
>garlic and boiling chicken broth in a blender and allow to sit for 10
>minutes. Puree until smooth. To thicken, and add flavor, I will us a
>tablespoon or two of Masa Harina, then salt to taste.
>
>Instead of using a food processor or blender, you can bring the
>chicken stock to a boil, add the chiles, onion and garlic, then use the
>hand held immersion blender in the pot.

Just to voice a random opinion, chicken (or other meat) stock
does not belong in enchilada sauce. I always toast the chiles
(this must be done carefully) right after rinsing them; I am not sure
that is completely standard, but it is pretty common.

The above seems like a lot of liquid for the number of chilies.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene Vannoy > wrote:

> (We're going to end up having pork enchiladas instead. I found a bone-in
> pork butt for $4.50 a pound, and I'm pressure-cooking it now...

I never pay more than $1.69/lb for pork butts. $1.19 for picnics.
And $1.59 for boneless pork butt chunks.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene Vannoy wrote:
> The Mom Food Project for the week was going to be her ham with pineapple
> gravy, so I went to Safeway, where I usually go when I want to buy a lot
> of meat. No hams. None. Well, a glazed spiral cut one (one!), and some
> ham steaks, and some turkey ham, but um, no.
>
> Went to the Berkeley Bowl, my local grocery with the great meat
> department. No hams. Some ham steaks, but otherwise nothing.
>
> No hams! Is it just not the right time of year? the last time I bought a
> ham, it was for a holiday, so it was easy to find. Is it hard to find
> the rest of the year?
>
> (We're going to end up having pork enchiladas instead. I found a bone-in
> pork butt for $4.50 a pound, and I'm pressure-cooking it now -- half of
> it will go in the enchiladas, and half will be for sandwiches later in
> the week.)
>
> ObRFC: I'll be using this enchilada sauce recipe, posted by Becca in
> 2002, but with pork stock instead of chicken:
>
> Enchilada Sauce
>
> 12 New Mexico dried chiles
> 1/2 onion, quartered
> 4 cloves garlic
> 1 qt boiling chicken broth
> 1-2 tblsp Masa Harina
> salt to taste
>
> Remove stems and seeds from chiles and rinse. Combine chiles, onion,
> garlic and boiling chicken broth in a blender and allow to sit for 10
> minutes. Puree until smooth. To thicken, and add flavor, I will us a
> tablespoon or two of Masa Harina, then salt to taste.
>
> Instead of using a food processor or blender, you can bring the
> chicken stock to a boil, add the chiles, onion and garlic, then use the
> hand held immersion blender in the pot.

To heck with ham. Your enchiladas sound wonderful, but I always put
onions in the enchiladas, but not the enchilada *sauce*.

Funny that pork "butts" are actually a shoulder cut. They're very
popular here in St. Louis, and they get really cheap, like $1.19/#.

> Serene

--Bryan, who's all for making corn into ethanol, as long as it's for
drinking not cars, but would rather see corn flour or cornmeal.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

BoboBonobo > wrote:

>To heck with ham. Your enchiladas sound wonderful, but I always put
>onions in the enchiladas, but not the enchilada *sauce*.

My inclination is also to leave onion out of the enchilada
sauce, but Mrs. Pope (who is from New Mexico) always says
to put it in.

S.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.mexican-cooking

Steve Pope wrote:
> Serene Vannoy > wrote:
>
>> ObRFC: I'll be using this enchilada sauce recipe, posted by Becca in
>> 2002, but with pork stock instead of chicken:
>>
>> Enchilada Sauce
>>
>> 12 New Mexico dried chiles
>> 1/2 onion, quartered
>> 4 cloves garlic
>> 1 qt boiling chicken broth
>> 1-2 tblsp Masa Harina
>> salt to taste

>> Remove stems and seeds from chiles and rinse. Combine chiles, onion,
>> garlic and boiling chicken broth in a blender and allow to sit for 10
>> minutes. Puree until smooth. To thicken, and add flavor, I will us a
>> tablespoon or two of Masa Harina, then salt to taste.
>>
>> Instead of using a food processor or blender, you can bring the
>> chicken stock to a boil, add the chiles, onion and garlic, then use the
>> hand held immersion blender in the pot.

> Just to voice a random opinion, chicken (or other meat) stock
> does not belong in enchilada sauce. I always toast the chiles
> (this must be done carefully) right after rinsing them; I am not sure
> that is completely standard, but it is pretty common.

Gosh, I can hardly believe that I'm defending using something against a
pretty legitimate "does not belong", but the nice flavor that a little
pork imparts to chile is something I've experienced, and specifically
with NuMex Reds, though not as enchilada sauce. It's nice that it
doesn't have all kinds of other stuff added, as so often people want to
throw other ingredients in.
I can certainly see why you'd caution, "this must be done carefully,"
when you're referring to re-hydrated reds. I bet it took you a while to
get that right.

> The above seems like a lot of liquid for the number of chilies.

I think that's what the masa was about, and it does seem that the quart
of stock would need to be reduced a bit, rather than merely brought to a
boil, though those NuMex chilies are often pretty large.

I'm x-posting my reply, I think, quite aptly.

> Steve

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" wrote

>> (We're going to end up having pork enchiladas instead. I found a bone-in
>> pork butt for $4.50 a pound, and I'm pressure-cooking it now...

> I never pay more than $1.69/lb for pork butts. $1.19 for picnics.
> And $1.59 for boneless pork butt chunks.

I just did a big shopping trip (stocked the freezer). The picnics were out
just then so dunno how much they were but the bone-in butts were 1.13/lb and
the boneless 1.39/lb. I was happy, usually they are more like your prices.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 12:34:03 -0400, cshenk wrote:

> "Sqwertz" wrote
>
>>> (We're going to end up having pork enchiladas instead. I found a bone-in
>>> pork butt for $4.50 a pound, and I'm pressure-cooking it now...

>> I never pay more than $1.69/lb for pork butts. $1.19 for picnics.
>> And $1.59 for boneless pork butt chunks.

> I just did a big shopping trip (stocked the freezer). The picnics were out
> just then so dunno how much they were but the bone-in butts were 1.13/lb and
> the boneless 1.39/lb. I was happy, usually they are more like your prices.

I don't care what part of the country you're in, $4.50/lb for pork butt
is just outrageous. I've never heard of that, even in CA. I'm
convinced there's some sort of price-fixing going on there in the
northern CA grocery stores.

For comparison, shop at the Mexican and Asian markets and you'll see the
*real* market prices for things like that.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> Serene Vannoy > wrote:
>
>> (We're going to end up having pork enchiladas instead. I found a bone-in
>> pork butt for $4.50 a pound, and I'm pressure-cooking it now...

> I never pay more than $1.69/lb for pork butts. $1.19 for picnics.
> And $1.59 for boneless pork butt chunks.

Well, I wasn't going to worry about the price in this instance. We
couldn't find a ham, so I wanted some big piece of pig to compensate.

Three large meals for five people out of a $20 roast is acceptable, but
it's certainly more than I usually pay for meat.

Serene

--
"I think I have an umami receptor that has developed sentience." -- Stef
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Wertz > wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 12:34:03 -0400, cshenk wrote:
> > "Sqwertz" wrote

> >> I never pay more than $1.69/lb for pork butts. �$1.19 for picnics.
> >> And $1.59 for boneless pork butt chunks.

> > I just did a big shopping trip (stocked the freezer). �The picnics were out
> > just then so dunno how much they were but the bone-in butts were 1.13/lb and
> > the boneless 1.39/lb. �I was happy, usually they are more like your prices.

> I don't care what part of the country you're in, $4.50/lb for pork butt
> is just outrageous. �I've never heard of that, even in CA. �I'm
> convinced there's some sort of price-fixing going on there in the
> northern CA grocery stores. �
>
> For comparison, shop at the Mexican and Asian markets and you'll see the
> *real* market prices for things like that.
>
> -sw

There is no cut of fresh pork that costs $4.50/lb, not anywhere in the
48. That pig tail story sounds exactly like Duh'Wayne's chicken tale.

At the Hispanic Market chain I used to shop on Lung Guyland pork butt/
pork shoulder typically sells for about $1/lb.

http://www.comparesupermarkets.com/showSales.php?SID=18

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 25, 4:07�pm, Serene Vannoy > wrote:
> Sqwertz wrote:
> > Serene Vannoy > wrote:

> >> (We're going to end up having pork enchiladas instead. I found a bone-in
> >> pork butt for $4.50 a pound, and I'm pressure-cooking it now...

> > I never pay more than $1.69/lb for pork butts. �$1.19 for picnics.
> > And $1.59 for boneless pork butt chunks.

> Well, I wasn't going to worry about the price in this instance. We
> couldn't find a ham, so I wanted some big piece of pig to compensate.
>
> Three large meals for five people out of a $20 roast is acceptable, but
> it's certainly more than I usually pay for meat.

A four pound pork butt is hardly going to feed five adults even one
meal, pork butt is mostly fat, after cooking it weighs less than half

$4.50/lb will buy a pretty decent beef roast.

Whole fresh ham shouldn't cost more than like $1.30/lb, usually less.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 13:26:28 -0700 (PDT), Sheldon >
wrote:

>At the Hispanic Market chain I used to shop on Lung Guyland pork butt/
>pork shoulder typically sells for about $1/lb.

It's always about that here in Chicago too. For $4.50 I can buy
steak. No way I'd spend more than $1.50 for a shoulder. I'd change
the menu first.

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 13:07:29 -0700, Serene Vannoy
> wrote:

>Sqwertz wrote:
>> Serene Vannoy > wrote:
>>
>>> (We're going to end up having pork enchiladas instead. I found a bone-in
>>> pork butt for $4.50 a pound, and I'm pressure-cooking it now...

>> I never pay more than $1.69/lb for pork butts. $1.19 for picnics.
>> And $1.59 for boneless pork butt chunks.

>Well, I wasn't going to worry about the price in this instance. We
>couldn't find a ham, so I wanted some big piece of pig to compensate.

Pork tenderloin is about $3.50 here. If I paid $4.50 for a butt I'd
want a BJ too.

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 25, 7:09�pm, Lou Decruss > wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 13:07:29 -0700, Serene Vannoy
>
> > wrote:
> >Sqwertz wrote:

> >> I never pay more than $1.69/lb for pork butts. �$1.19 for picnics.
> >> And $1.59 for boneless pork butt chunks.

> >Well, I wasn't going to worry about the price in this instance. We
> >couldn't find a ham, so I wanted some big piece of pig to compensate.

> Pork tenderloin is about $3.50 here. �If I paid $4.50 for a butt I'd
> want a BJ too.

I think you'd best get that BJ before you do butt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 17:01:47 -0700 (PDT), Sheldon >
wrote:

>On Jun 25, 7:09?pm, Lou Decruss > wrote:
>> On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 13:07:29 -0700, Serene Vannoy
>>
>> > wrote:

>> >Well, I wasn't going to worry about the price in this instance. We
>> >couldn't find a ham, so I wanted some big piece of pig to compensate.

>> Pork tenderloin is about $3.50 here. ?If I paid $4.50 for a butt I'd
>> want a BJ too.

>I think you'd best get that BJ before you do butt.

I never did understand the hole sequence of porn flicks. I hope they
clean up between there sometime.

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Serene Vannoy" > wrote in message
> The Mom Food Project for the week was going to be her ham with pineapple
> gravy, so I went to Safeway, where I usually go when I want to buy a lot
> of meat. No hams. None. Well, a glazed spiral cut one (one!), and some
> ham steaks, and some turkey ham, but um, no.
>
> Went to the Berkeley Bowl, my local grocery with the great meat
> department. No hams. Some ham steaks, but otherwise nothing.
>
> No hams! Is it just not the right time of year? the last time I bought a
> ham, it was for a holiday, so it was easy to find. Is it hard to find the
> rest of the year?
>
> (We're going to end up having pork enchiladas instead. I found a bone-in
> pork butt for $4.50 a pound, and I'm pressure-cooking it now -- half of it
> will go in the enchiladas, and half will be for sandwiches later in the
> week.)
>
> ObRFC: I'll be using this enchilada sauce recipe, posted by Becca in 2002,
> but with pork stock instead of chicken:
>
> Enchilada Sauce
>
> 12 New Mexico dried chiles
> 1/2 onion, quartered
> 4 cloves garlic
> 1 qt boiling chicken broth
> 1-2 tblsp Masa Harina
> salt to taste
>
> Remove stems and seeds from chiles and rinse. Combine chiles, onion,
> garlic and boiling chicken broth in a blender and allow to sit for 10
> minutes. Puree until smooth. To thicken, and add flavor, I will us a
> tablespoon or two of Masa Harina, then salt to taste.
>
> Instead of using a food processor or blender, you can bring the
> chicken stock to a boil, add the chiles, onion and garlic, then use the
> hand held immersion blender in the pot.
>
> Serene

I just bought a "Cook's" bone in shank half ham at Walmart for $1.48/lb.
This was at a massive Walmart 30 mi. west of Sacramento. I don't know about
the local Walmarts in the bay area.

Kent

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kent wrote:

> I just bought a "Cook's" bone in shank half ham at Walmart for $1.48/lb.
> This was at a massive Walmart 30 mi. west of Sacramento. I don't know about
> the local Walmarts in the bay area.

I don't shop at Wal-mart, but thanks for the tip.

Serene
--
"I think I have an umami receptor that has developed sentience." -- Stef
Posted to rec.food.cooking

BoboBonobo wrote:

> To heck with ham. Your enchiladas sound wonderful, but I always put
> onions in the enchiladas, but not the enchilada *sauce*.

I usually do, too, but I forgot. No one missed them but me. :-)

Serene
--
"I think I have an umami receptor that has developed sentience." -- Stef
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Pope wrote:
> Serene Vannoy > wrote:
>
>> ObRFC: I'll be using this enchilada sauce recipe, posted by Becca in
>> 2002, but with pork stock instead of chicken:
>>
>> Enchilada Sauce
>>
>> 12 New Mexico dried chiles
>> 1/2 onion, quartered
>> 4 cloves garlic
>> 1 qt boiling chicken broth
>> 1-2 tblsp Masa Harina
>> salt to taste

>> Remove stems and seeds from chiles and rinse. Combine chiles, onion,
>> garlic and boiling chicken broth in a blender and allow to sit for 10
>> minutes. Puree until smooth. To thicken, and add flavor, I will us a
>> tablespoon or two of Masa Harina, then salt to taste.
>>
>> Instead of using a food processor or blender, you can bring the
>> chicken stock to a boil, add the chiles, onion and garlic, then use the
>> hand held immersion blender in the pot.

> Just to voice a random opinion, chicken (or other meat) stock
> does not belong in enchilada sauce. I always toast the chiles
> (this must be done carefully) right after rinsing them; I am not sure
> that is completely standard, but it is pretty common.
>
> The above seems like a lot of liquid for the number of chilies.

The chilis were large. At any rate, it ended up being VERY thick sauce,
so more liquid would've been called for, but I left it thick. It was
actually quite impressive, all dark and thick like that.

Serene

--
"I think I have an umami receptor that has developed sentience." -- Stef
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene Vannoy > wrote:

>Steve Pope wrote:

>> Just to voice a random opinion, chicken (or other meat) stock
>> does not belong in enchilada sauce. I always toast the chiles
>> (this must be done carefully) right after rinsing them; I am not sure
>> that is completely standard, but it is pretty common.

>> The above seems like a lot of liquid for the number of chilies.

>The chilis were large. At any rate, it ended up being VERY thick sauce,
>so more liquid would've been called for, but I left it thick. It was
>actually quite impressive, all dark and thick like that.

Cool, I'm glad it worked out.

After your initial post, I looked at Andronicos for hams. No
hams there either. Maybe it's seasonal, or somehow a fallout
from high fuel prices.

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene Vannoy wrote:
> Kent wrote:
>
>> I just bought a "Cook's" bone in shank half ham at Walmart for
>> $1.48/lb. This was at a massive Walmart 30 mi. west of Sacramento. I
>> don't know about the local Walmarts in the bay area.

> I don't shop at Wal-mart, but thanks for the tip.
>
> Serene

Kroger's has a meat case full of Cook's shank and butt hams for .99 per
lb up to 1.99 per lb. This is in SW Louisiana but I'm sure the Kroger's
chain elsewhere generally has hams.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Serene Vannoy" > wrote in message
> Kent wrote:
>
>> I just bought a "Cook's" bone in shank half ham at Walmart for $1.48/lb.
>> This was at a massive Walmart 30 mi. west of Sacramento. I don't know
>> about the local Walmarts in the bay area.

> I don't shop at Wal-mart, but thanks for the tip.
>
> Serene

This was at a Wal-Mart "Supercenter", I just discovered. My calculations
suggest the store is about 4 acres in size.
The closest one to the east SF bay is in America Canyon, about 20 miles
north. I'm sure the standard Wal-Mart doesn't carry ham.

Kent

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Serene Vannoy > wrote:

> The Mom Food Project for the week was going to be her ham with pineapple
> gravy, so I went to Safeway, where I usually go when I want to buy a lot
> of meat. No hams. None. Well, a glazed spiral cut one (one!), and some
> ham steaks, and some turkey ham, but um, no.

That's been my experience also. There are a lot of hams when it's the
season (Easter mostly, in the US), but very few at other times. Worse
yet, there are terrific sales during season, but at other times, you are
looking at US$25.00 for a ham.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 13:47:41 -0700, Serene Vannoy
>>> (We're going to end up having pork enchiladas instead. I found a bone-in
>>> pork butt for $4.50 a pound, and I'm pressure-cooking it now -- half of it
>>> will go in the enchiladas, and half will be for sandwiches later in the
>>> week.)
>>>

>> At $4.50/lb, you got taken.

>Oh, I know, but as I said, it worked out well, and I got three big meals
>for that $20. *shrug* Still cheaper than eating out.
>
>Serene

You should have been here last year...I got pork butts like you
described, for $0.97/pound.

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 09:50:17 -0700, Serene Vannoy
> wrote:

>Kent wrote:
>
>> I just bought a "Cook's" bone in shank half ham at Walmart for $1.48/lb.
>> This was at a massive Walmart 30 mi. west of Sacramento. I don't know about
>> the local Walmarts in the bay area.

>I don't shop at Wal-mart, but thanks for the tip.
>
>Serene

I won't shop there either, but Cook's is one of the few grocery store
brands that is only partially cooked and is wonderful for a slow cook
in a grill or smoker.

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Serene Vannoy" > wrote in message
> The Mom Food Project for the week was going to be her ham with pineapple
> gravy, so I went to Safeway, where I usually go when I want to buy a lot
> of meat. No hams. None. Well, a glazed spiral cut one (one!), and some
> ham steaks, and some turkey ham, but um, no.
>
> Went to the Berkeley Bowl, my local grocery with the great meat
> department. No hams. Some ham steaks, but otherwise nothing.
>
> No hams! Is it just not the right time of year? the last time I bought a
> ham, it was for a holiday, so it was easy to find. Is it hard to find the
> rest of the year?
>
> (We're going to end up having pork enchiladas instead. I found a bone-in
> pork butt for $4.50 a pound, and I'm pressure-cooking it now -- half of it
> will go in the enchiladas, and half will be for sandwiches later in the
> week.)

At $4.50/lb, you got taken.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kswck wrote:
> "Serene Vannoy" > wrote in message

>> (We're going to end up having pork enchiladas instead. I found a bone-in
>> pork butt for $4.50 a pound, and I'm pressure-cooking it now -- half of it
>> will go in the enchiladas, and half will be for sandwiches later in the
>> week.)
>>

> At $4.50/lb, you got taken.

Oh, I know, but as I said, it worked out well, and I got three big meals
for that $20. *shrug* Still cheaper than eating out.

Serene
--
"I think I have an umami receptor that has developed sentience." -- Stef
Posted to rec.food.cooking

The Cook wrote:

> You better check the meat before you buy it. As far as I am
> concerned, beef roast should not have an ingredient list. Their's
> does.

I like the way you put that. Certainly a good point.
Posted to rec.food.cooking