Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Marshmallow shortage

I got the idea to make Rice Krispies treats yesterday. Bought
some cereal and a bag of marshmallows. Recipe on the bag says
to use 50 marshmallows, so I counted. The bag contains 40.
I'd counted once before and it used to contain 48. I guess it used
to be 12 ounces, now it's 10. Thanks for nothing, luckily I had an
old container of Fluff to make up the shortfall.

On the up-side, the store had the Ugly Ripe tomatoes! I grabbed
a couple. Oh, boy, they are so delicious. Really made something out
of a turkey sandwich. That lifted my winter weary spirits.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
> I got the idea to make Rice Krispies treats yesterday. Bought
> some cereal and a bag of marshmallows. Recipe on the bag says
> to use 50 marshmallows, so I counted. The bag contains 40.
> I'd counted once before and it used to contain 48. I guess it used
> to be 12 ounces, now it's 10. Thanks for nothing, luckily I had an
> old container of Fluff to make up the shortfall.

Heh. I would place a bet that they charged the same price for less? They
do that sorta thing here too. Instead of increasing the price, they
lower the weight - sigh.

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young said...

> I got the idea to make Rice Krispies treats yesterday. Bought
> some cereal and a bag of marshmallows. Recipe on the bag says
> to use 50 marshmallows, so I counted. The bag contains 40.
> I'd counted once before and it used to contain 48. I guess it used
> to be 12 ounces, now it's 10. Thanks for nothing, luckily I had an
> old container of Fluff to make up the shortfall.

So the bag said 50 and gyp'd you 10??? The BUMS!!!

> On the up-side, the store had the Ugly Ripe tomatoes! I grabbed
> a couple. Oh, boy, they are so delicious. Really made something out
> of a turkey sandwich. That lifted my winter weary spirits.
>
> nancy

And a couple strips of bacon?

So much for winter, Happy April Showers!!!

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Chatty Cathy" > wrote

> Nancy Young wrote:
>> I got the idea to make Rice Krispies treats yesterday. Bought
>> some cereal and a bag of marshmallows. Recipe on the bag says
>> to use 50 marshmallows, so I counted. The bag contains 40.
>> I'd counted once before and it used to contain 48. I guess it used
>> to be 12 ounces, now it's 10. Thanks for nothing, luckily I had an
>> old container of Fluff to make up the shortfall.
>>

> Heh. I would place a bet that they charged the same price for less? They
> do that sorta thing here too. Instead of increasing the price, they lower
> the weight - sigh.

It's annoying. Starting with the fact that they say how many marshmallows
to use, on their own bag. You know way back when it would say to use
the whole bag by weight.

How many old recipes called for a 16 ounce can of (whatever) ... good
luck with that, they're mostly all 15, 14 1/2 ounces.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chatty Cathy said...

> Heh. I would place a bet that they charged the same price for less? They
> do that sorta thing here too. Instead of increasing the price, they
> lower the weight - sigh.

Cathy,

Before long I'm gonna need tweezers to dunk my oreos.

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:

> It's annoying. Starting with the fact that they say how many marshmallows
> to use, on their own bag. You know way back when it would say to use
> the whole bag by weight.
>
> How many old recipes called for a 16 ounce can of (whatever) ... good
> luck with that, they're mostly all 15, 14 1/2 ounces.

'Zactly! I get "suspicious" whenever they "repackage" a product i.e.
change the shape of the bottle/package, slap on a new label, whatever -
guaranteed you are going to get less product for your money. First thing
I do is check the weight/volume of the contents (which they have to
state clearly, by law). Seen it plenty around here, even the bags of
charcoal we buy used to be 5kgs - now most of them are sold in 4kg bags
- for the same price as they charged for the 5kgs in the past. Not to
mention bottles of dried herbs etc. Highly annoying indeed.
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:
> Chatty Cathy said...
>
>> Heh. I would place a bet that they charged the same price for less? They
>> do that sorta thing here too. Instead of increasing the price, they
>> lower the weight - sigh.

> Cathy,
>
> Before long I'm gonna need tweezers to dunk my oreos.
>
> Andy

LOL. Sorry, Andy - that "image" just made me chuckle, but I know what
you mean Bet if you counted how many you get in a box these days, its
less than it used to be.
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chatty Cathy said...

> Andy wrote:
>> Chatty Cathy said...
>>
>>> Heh. I would place a bet that they charged the same price for less?

They
>>> do that sorta thing here too. Instead of increasing the price, they
>>> lower the weight - sigh.

>> Cathy,
>>
>> Before long I'm gonna need tweezers to dunk my oreos.
>>
>> Andy

> LOL. Sorry, Andy - that "image" just made me chuckle, but I know what
> you mean Bet if you counted how many you get in a box these days, its
> less than it used to be.

248...
249...
250 dime-sized oreos.

They're SO CUTE! ((

<VBG>

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Nancy Young" > wrote:

> I got the idea to make Rice Krispies treats yesterday. Bought
> some cereal and a bag of marshmallows. Recipe on the bag says
> to use 50 marshmallows, so I counted. The bag contains 40.
> I'd counted once before and it used to contain 48. I guess it used
> to be 12 ounces, now it's 10. Thanks for nothing, luckily I had an
> old container of Fluff to make up the shortfall.

I hear you. And that reminds me. My jars of Hellman's are now 30 oz
instead of 32! I wonder how long that's been going on or if other mayo
has been similarly reduced in size. I'm put out with Hellman's anyway
for putting HFCS in it... blech! And I seem to recall that Cook's
Illustrated replaced Hellman's with Kraft as their number one best mayo.
Making my own seems much more probable now.

Emma
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:
> Chatty Cathy said...
>
>> Heh. I would place a bet that they charged the same price for less? They
>> do that sorta thing here too. Instead of increasing the price, they
>> lower the weight - sigh.

> Cathy,
>
> Before long I'm gonna need tweezers to dunk my oreos.
>
> Andy

I swear the packages of those used to be bigger!

Or maybe that was because I was smaller?

--
"I'm thinking that if this dilemma grows any more horns, I'm going to
shoot it and put it up on the wall."

- Harry Dresden

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:
> Chatty Cathy said...
>
>> Andy wrote:
>>> Chatty Cathy said...

> They
>>>
>>> Cathy,
>>>
>>> Before long I'm gonna need tweezers to dunk my oreos.
>>>
>>> Andy

>> LOL. Sorry, Andy - that "image" just made me chuckle, but I know what
>> you mean Bet if you counted how many you get in a box these days, its
>> less than it used to be.

> 248...
> 249...
> 250 dime-sized oreos.
>
> They're SO CUTE! ((
>
> <VBG>
>
> Andy

They actually sell those you know...the oreo minis...the kids love them.
And it keeps them out of my bag.

--
"I'm thinking that if this dilemma grows any more horns, I'm going to
shoot it and put it up on the wall."

- Harry Dresden
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:

> I got the idea to make Rice Krispies treats yesterday. Bought
> some cereal and a bag of marshmallows. Recipe on the bag says
> to use 50 marshmallows, so I counted. The bag contains 40.
> I'd counted once before and it used to contain 48. I guess it used
> to be 12 ounces, now it's 10. Thanks for nothing, luckily I had an
> old container of Fluff to make up the shortfall.
>
> On the up-side, the store had the Ugly Ripe tomatoes! I grabbed
> a couple. Oh, boy, they are so delicious. Really made something out
> of a turkey sandwich. That lifted my winter weary spirits.

Damn that downsizing. I usually buy the large size box of Shredded Wheat,
the one with 24 biscuits. About a month ago I started having trouble
finding the large size. There is still one store around that sells the 24
size, but the rest carry the "New Format" with only 18 biscuits. The old
format had 8 packages of 3 stacked one on top of the other. The new format
lays the packages on their sides, side by side and three high. The box is
as high as the 24 format but is a lot thinner but holds 3/4 what the old
box did.

The kicker...... same price.
I switched to Muffets.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chatty wrote on Sun, 15 Apr 2007 16:02:34 +0200:

??>> It's annoying. Starting with the fact that they say how
??>> many marshmallows to use, on their own bag. You know way
??>> back when it would say to use the whole bag by weight.
??>>
??>> How many old recipes called for a 16 ounce can of
??>> (whatever) ... good luck with that, they're mostly all 15,
??>> 14 1/2 ounces.

Perverse ingenuity seems to be a hallmark of current
merchandising. Cereal boxes would seem a prime example of boxes
that remain the same in size but contain less. I haven't any
hope for it since it might be too much "government intervention"
but wouldn't it be great if only a set of standard sizes like
1, 2, 4, 8,. ounces and perhaps 4oz increments after that were
allowed?

It's not just an American perversity; as a drinker of imported
beers, I am often disappointed by the variations on 12 oz that
imports come up with. I don't know why, if undersized variations
like 333 or 300 ml are allowed, 355ml is so difficult. I have
even come across 250 ml bottles from France

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" wrote:
> "Chatty Cathy" wrote
> > Nancy Young wrote:
> >> I got the idea to make Rice Krispies treats yesterday. *Bought
> >> some cereal and a bag of marshmallows. *Recipe on the bag says
> >> to use 50 marshmallows, so I counted. *The bag contains 40.
> >> I'd counted once before and it used to contain 48. *I guess it used
> >> to be 12 ounces, now it's 10. *Thanks for nothing, luckily I had an
> >> old container of Fluff to make up the shortfall.

> > Heh. I would place a bet that they charged the same price for less? They
> > do that sorta thing here too. Instead of increasing the price, they lower
> > the weight - sigh.

> It's annoying. *Starting with the fact that they say how many marshmallows
> to use, on their own bag. *You know way back when it would say to use
> the whole bag by weight.
>
> How many old recipes called for a 16 ounce can of (whatever) ... good
> luck with that, they're mostly all 15, 14 1/2 ounces.

It's easy to make your own and a lot less expensive... there are lots
of recipes on the net for marshmallow cream, some remain pourable,
some set up.

http://www.preparedpantry.com/ChocCreamPie.htm

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton wrote:
> Chatty wrote on Sun, 15 Apr 2007 16:02:34 +0200:
>
>>> It's annoying. Starting with the fact that they say how
>>> many marshmallows to use, on their own bag. You know way
>>> back when it would say to use the whole bag by weight.
>>>

> It's not just an American perversity; as a drinker of imported
> beers, I am often disappointed by the variations on 12 oz that
> imports come up with. I don't know why, if undersized variations
> like 333 or 300 ml are allowed, 355ml is so difficult. I have
> even come across 250 ml bottles from France
>
> James Silverton
> Potomac, Maryland

Obviously it's not just an American perversity since Cathy is in South
Africa!

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton wrote:

> It's not just an American perversity; as a drinker of imported
> beers, I am often disappointed by the variations on 12 oz that
> imports come up with. I don't know why, if undersized variations
> like 333 or 300 ml are allowed, 355ml is so difficult. I have
> even come across 250 ml bottles from France

Biro and Kronnenburg? Some things taste better out of small bottles, like
the old 8 oz Coke bottles.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote

> James Silverton wrote:

>> It's not just an American perversity; as a drinker of imported
>> beers, I am often disappointed by the variations on 12 oz that
>> imports come up with. I don't know why, if undersized variations
>> like 333 or 300 ml are allowed, 355ml is so difficult. I have
>> even come across 250 ml bottles from France

> Obviously it's not just an American perversity since Cathy is in South
> Africa!

Actually, bad snipping happened somewhere along the line, he's
responding to what I said.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 16, 4:27 am, "Sheldon" > wrote:
> It's easy to make your own and a lot less expensive...
> Sheldon

Gads that comment took me back...
Home Economics circa 1972....today class will be making marshmallows!
And in all honesty, in the 35 years since that class, I have never
made them again. One of the (many) distinctly useless things we were
taught at school.
I used to love marshmallows, but once I made them lost my desire...
must have been all that glucose & sugar syrup!
We each used a different colouring... mine were blue. The most hideous
was a vivid green and another dark purple. No one at my home would
touch them... hehehe. Think the dog ended up having most of them on
reflection.

LadyJane
--
"Never trust a skinny cook!"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

LadyJane wrote:
> On Apr 16, 4:27 am, "Sheldon" > wrote:
>> It's easy to make your own and a lot less expensive...
>> Sheldon

> Gads that comment took me back...
> Home Economics circa 1972....today class will be making marshmallows!
> And in all honesty, in the 35 years since that class, I have never
> made them again. One of the (many) distinctly useless things we were
> taught at school.

I don't believe the lesson was worthless. You practiced reading a
recipe, measuring the ingredients, cooking, all of it. What you made
wasn't as important as that you did make something.

I recently saw Ina Gartner on her show pack up some homemade
marshmallows for a supposed bake sale. They were gorgeous and would be a
nice treat for someone who appreciated them.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 15, 9:09?pm, Goomba38 > wrote:
> LadyJane wrote:
> > On Apr 16, 4:27 am, "Sheldon" > wrote:
> >> It's easy to make your own and a lot less expensive...
> >> Sheldon

> > Gads that comment took me back...
> > Home Economics circa 1972....today class will be making marshmallows!
> > And in all honesty, in the 35 years since that class, I have never
> > made them again. One of the (many) distinctly useless things we were
> > taught at school.

> I don't believe the lesson was worthless. You practiced reading a
> recipe, measuring the ingredients, cooking, all of it. What you made
> wasn't as important as that you did make something.
>
> I recently saw Ina Gartner on her show pack up some homemade
> marshmallows for a supposed bake sale. They were gorgeous and would be a
> nice treat for someone who appreciated them.

As confections go marshmallow is a fairly healthful choice, contains
zero fat and is rich in high quality protein from egg whites... the
trick is to practice until one is able to make a batch that serves the
intended purpose and consistantly... actually making marshmallow is
one of those items that teaches a great many cooking skills and with
very inexpensive ingredients... probably why it's popular for a home
ec class.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"l, not -l" > wrote in
:

> On 15-Apr-2007, Andy <q> wrote:
>
>> Before long I'm gonna need tweezers to dunk my oreos.
>>
>> Andy

> At that point, aren't they just cold cereal, to be dumped in a bowl of
> milk and eaten with at spoon? 8-P

I've actually done that, with Tiny Teddies :P

Posted to rec.food.cooking

LadyJane wrote:

> Gads that comment took me back...
> Home Economics circa 1972....today class will be making marshmallows!
> And in all honesty, in the 35 years since that class, I have never
> made them again. One of the (many) distinctly useless things we were
> taught at school.
> I used to love marshmallows, but once I made them lost my desire...
> must have been all that glucose & sugar syrup!
> We each used a different colouring... mine were blue. The most hideous
> was a vivid green and another dark purple. No one at my home would
> touch them... hehehe. Think the dog ended up having most of them on
> reflection.

I've been wanting to make real marshmallows -- using the marshmallow
plant rather than sugar and glucose. One of these days I'll track down
a source for the marshmallow plants.

--Charlene

--
I have found out that there ain't no surer way to find out whether you
like people or hate them than to travel with them. -- Mark Twain

email perronnellec at earthlink . net

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 15, 9:21�am, "Nancy Young" > wrote:
> I got the idea to make Rice Krispies treats yesterday. *Bought
> some cereal and a bag of marshmallows. *Recipe on the bag says
> to use 50 marshmallows, so I counted. *The bag contains 40.
> I'd counted once before and it used to contain 48. *I guess it used
> to be 12 ounces, now it's 10. *Thanks for nothing, luckily I had an
> old container of Fluff to make up the shortfall.
>
> On the up-side, the store had the Ugly Ripe tomatoes! *I grabbed
> a couple. *Oh, boy, they are so delicious. *Really made something out
> of a turkey sandwich. *That lifted my winter weary spirits.
>
> nancy

50 marshmallows? The recipe on the box of Rice Krispies has always
called for 40 marshmallows or 1 ten ounce bag. Maybe the company that
made the marshmallows wants you to have to buy two bags.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Charlene Charette wrote:
>> I've been wanting to make real marshmallows -- using the marshmallow

> plant rather than sugar and glucose. *One of these days I'll track down
> a source for the marshmallow plants.

I really think you ought to stick to the modern versions for preparing
the marshmallow confection.

http://home.howstuffworks.com/question128.htm

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/d...rshmallow.html

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 15, 8:59 pm, "LadyJane" > wrote:
> On Apr 16, 4:27 am, "Sheldon" > wrote:
>
> > It's easy to make your own and a lot less expensive...
> > Sheldon

> Gads that comment took me back...
> Home Economics circa 1972....today class will be making marshmallows!
> And in all honesty, in the 35 years since that class, I have never
> made them again. One of the (many) distinctly useless things we were
> taught at school.
> I used to love marshmallows, but once I made them lost my desire...
> must have been all that glucose & sugar syrup!
> We each used a different colouring... mine were blue. The most hideous
> was a vivid green and another dark purple. No one at my home would
> touch them... hehehe. Think the dog ended up having most of them on
> reflection.
>
> LadyJane
> --
> "Never trust a skinny cook!"

Eh, I made them once. The next time I used my 50 year old KA, the
motor died while whipping egg whites!

OTOH, my husband, daughter, and stepsons have not stopped begging me
to make more....

maxine in ri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:

> Charlene Charette wrote:
>
>>>I've been wanting to make real marshmallows -- using the marshmallow

>>plant rather than sugar and glucose. �One of these days I'll track down
>>a source for the marshmallow plants.

> I really think you ought to stick to the modern versions for preparing
> the marshmallow confection.
>
> http://home.howstuffworks.com/question128.htm
>
> http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/d...rshmallow.html
>

> Sheldon

Thanks for the links. I'm not planning to eat tons of the stuff. I'm
interested in historic food and would like to try the original version
once as an experiement. So far I've only found one method of
preparation and I'm not sure I trust the source. I'd also need to find
the plant in a larger quantity than I've been able to find already.

--Charlene