Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Salmon fillet scraps

A supermarket has small scrap pieces of fresh salmon fillet for $2 per
pound. It's pre-packed but fresh, and I hardly ever have it because it's so
damn expensive.

I just fried some and broiled some, and that's good enough really, but what
else? Maybe I could grind it. What else can you do with four-bite-size
pieces of salmon? The image of something with avacado is vaguely forming
but it's too hazy.

--

Reply in group, but if emailing remove the last word.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, September 30, 2013 8:51:29 AM UTC-4, Tom Del Rosso wrote:
> A supermarket has small scrap pieces of fresh salmon fillet for $2 per
>
> pound. It's pre-packed but fresh, and I hardly ever have it because it's so
> damn expensive.
>
> I just fried some and broiled some, and that's good enough really, but what
> else? Maybe I could grind it. What else can you do with four-bite-size
> pieces of salmon? The image of something with avacado is vaguely forming
> but it's too hazy.
>
> Reply in group, but if emailing remove the last word.

Perfect for a kedgeree.

http://www.richardisher.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:
> "Tom Del Rosso" > wrote in message
> >
> > A supermarket has small scrap pieces of fresh salmon fillet for $2
> > per pound. It's pre-packed but fresh, and I hardly ever have it
> > because it's so damn expensive.
> >
> > I just fried some and broiled some, and that's good enough really,
> > but what else? Maybe I could grind it. What else can you do with
> > four-bite-size pieces of salmon? The image of something with
> > avacado is vaguely forming but it's too hazy.

> Salmon fish cakes? Gently mix the salmon pieces with some mashed
> potato and seasoning. Fry gently on each side.

Can you chop it small or do you have to get out the processor and grind it?

--

Reply in group, but if emailing remove the last word.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/30/2013 8:51 AM, Tom Del Rosso wrote:
> A supermarket has small scrap pieces of fresh salmon fillet for $2 per
> pound. It's pre-packed but fresh, and I hardly ever have it because it's so
> damn expensive.
>
> I just fried some and broiled some, and that's good enough really, but what
> else? Maybe I could grind it. What else can you do with four-bite-size
> pieces of salmon? The image of something with avacado is vaguely forming
> but it's too hazy.

I wish I could find a deal like that! South Carolina isn't exactly the
salmon capitol of the US. Heh. I use canned salmon for this, but I see
no reason why you couldn't finely chop the salmon scraps.

Salmon Stuffed Pasta Shells

14-16 jumbo shell macaroni
1 egg, beaten
1 c. ricotta cheese
3 Tbs. chopped onion
2 Tbs. minced parsley
1/4 tsp. salt
1 c. canned salmon, drained and flaked
grated lemon zest
1/4 c. light cream or whole milk

Dill Sauce:

1-1/2 Tbs. butter
1-1/2 - 2 Tbs. all purpose flour
1/4 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
1 c. light cream
3 Tbs. freshly snipped dill or 2 Tbs. dried dill weed
1 Tbs. lemon juice

Melt butter in a small saucepan and whisk in flour with salt and pepper;
stir until well blended. Add cream and cook until thickened to desired
consistency. Add the lemon juice and dill and stir until well blended,
about 1 minute. Remove saucepan from heat.

Cook shells according to package directions; drain well. Set aside,
separated on waxed paper so they don't stick together. Combine egg,
ricotta, onion, parsley, lemon zest, salt and flaked salmon. Add the
light cream or milk to the bottom of a large baking dish. Fill each
pasta shell with a heaping tablespoonful of the salmon filling. Arrange
the shells in a 13X9 baking dish. Cover with foil and bake at 350F for
30 minutes. Before serving, spoon the cream sauce over the top.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:
> "Tom Del Rosso" > wrote in message
> >
> > Ophelia wrote:
> > >
> > > Salmon fish cakes? Gently mix the salmon pieces with some mashed
> > > potato and seasoning. Fry gently on each side.

> > Can you chop it small or do you have to get out the processor and
> > grind it?

> Nooo don't process it (unless you just want mush of course) Keep
> decent sized pieces and mix very gently to keep them whole. sf makes
> these I think so she will be able to share the way she makes them.

I was thinking of it like a burger, but I guess salmon burgers are just
chopped too.

--

Reply in group, but if emailing remove the last word.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 30 Sep 2013 10:42:02 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 9/30/2013 8:51 AM, Tom Del Rosso wrote:
>> A supermarket has small scrap pieces of fresh salmon fillet for $2 per
>> pound. It's pre-packed but fresh, and I hardly ever have it because it's so
>> damn expensive.
>>
>> I just fried some and broiled some, and that's good enough really, but what
>> else? Maybe I could grind it. What else can you do with four-bite-size
>> pieces of salmon? The image of something with avacado is vaguely forming
>> but it's too hazy.
>>

>I wish I could find a deal like that! South Carolina isn't exactly the
>salmon capitol of the US. Heh. I use canned salmon for this, but I see
>no reason why you couldn't finely chop the salmon scraps.
>
>Salmon Stuffed Pasta Shells
>
>14-16 jumbo shell macaroni
>1 egg, beaten
>1 c. ricotta cheese
>3 Tbs. chopped onion
>2 Tbs. minced parsley
>1/4 tsp. salt
>1 c. canned salmon, drained and flaked
>grated lemon zest
>1/4 c. light cream or whole milk
>
>Dill Sauce:
>
>1-1/2 Tbs. butter
>1-1/2 - 2 Tbs. all purpose flour
>1/4 tsp. salt
>1/8 tsp. pepper
>1 c. light cream
>3 Tbs. freshly snipped dill or 2 Tbs. dried dill weed
>1 Tbs. lemon juice
>
>Melt butter in a small saucepan and whisk in flour with salt and pepper;
>stir until well blended. Add cream and cook until thickened to desired
>consistency. Add the lemon juice and dill and stir until well blended,
>about 1 minute. Remove saucepan from heat.
>
>Cook shells according to package directions; drain well. Set aside,
>separated on waxed paper so they don't stick together. Combine egg,
>ricotta, onion, parsley, lemon zest, salt and flaked salmon. Add the
>light cream or milk to the bottom of a large baking dish. Fill each
>pasta shell with a heaping tablespoonful of the salmon filling. Arrange
>the shells in a 13X9 baking dish. Cover with foil and bake at 350F for
>30 minutes. Before serving, spoon the cream sauce over the top.
>
>Jill

Thank you for that. It's a perfect solution to all the salmon I have
in the freezer.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/30/2013 11:48 AM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Sep 2013 10:42:02 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>> On 9/30/2013 8:51 AM, Tom Del Rosso wrote:
>>> A supermarket has small scrap pieces of fresh salmon fillet for $2 per
>>> pound. It's pre-packed but fresh, and I hardly ever have it because it's so
>>> damn expensive.
>>>
>>> I just fried some and broiled some, and that's good enough really, but what
>>> else? Maybe I could grind it. What else can you do with four-bite-size
>>> pieces of salmon? The image of something with avacado is vaguely forming
>>> but it's too hazy.
>>>

>> I wish I could find a deal like that! South Carolina isn't exactly the
>> salmon capitol of the US. Heh. I use canned salmon for this, but I see
>> no reason why you couldn't finely chop the salmon scraps.
>>
>> Salmon Stuffed Pasta Shells
>>
>> 14-16 jumbo shell macaroni
>> 1 egg, beaten
>> 1 c. ricotta cheese
>> 3 Tbs. chopped onion
>> 2 Tbs. minced parsley
>> 1/4 tsp. salt
>> 1 c. canned salmon, drained and flaked
>> grated lemon zest
>> 1/4 c. light cream or whole milk
>>
>> Dill Sauce:
>>
>> 1-1/2 Tbs. butter
>> 1-1/2 - 2 Tbs. all purpose flour
>> 1/4 tsp. salt
>> 1/8 tsp. pepper
>> 1 c. light cream
>> 3 Tbs. freshly snipped dill or 2 Tbs. dried dill weed
>> 1 Tbs. lemon juice
>>
>> Melt butter in a small saucepan and whisk in flour with salt and pepper;
>> stir until well blended. Add cream and cook until thickened to desired
>> consistency. Add the lemon juice and dill and stir until well blended,
>> about 1 minute. Remove saucepan from heat.
>>
>> Cook shells according to package directions; drain well. Set aside,
>> separated on waxed paper so they don't stick together. Combine egg,
>> ricotta, onion, parsley, lemon zest, salt and flaked salmon. Add the
>> light cream or milk to the bottom of a large baking dish. Fill each
>> pasta shell with a heaping tablespoonful of the salmon filling. Arrange
>> the shells in a 13X9 baking dish. Cover with foil and bake at 350F for
>> 30 minutes. Before serving, spoon the cream sauce over the top.
>>
>> Jill

> Thank you for that. It's a perfect solution to all the salmon I have
> in the freezer.
> Janet US

You're welcome! It's really quite tasty.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Tom Del Rosso" > wrote in message

> A supermarket has small scrap pieces of fresh salmon fillet for $2 per
> pound. It's pre-packed but fresh, and I hardly ever have it because it's
> so damn expensive.
>
> I just fried some and broiled some, and that's good enough really, but
> what else? Maybe I could grind it. What else can you do with
> four-bite-size pieces of salmon? The image of something with avacado is
> vaguely forming but it's too hazy.

Salmon fish cakes? Gently mix the salmon pieces with some mashed potato and
seasoning. Fry gently on each side.
--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Tom Del Rosso" > wrote in message

> Ophelia wrote:
>> "Tom Del Rosso" > wrote in message
>> >
>> > A supermarket has small scrap pieces of fresh salmon fillet for $2
>> > per pound. It's pre-packed but fresh, and I hardly ever have it
>> > because it's so damn expensive.
>> >
>> > I just fried some and broiled some, and that's good enough really,
>> > but what else? Maybe I could grind it. What else can you do with
>> > four-bite-size pieces of salmon? The image of something with
>> > avacado is vaguely forming but it's too hazy.

>> Salmon fish cakes? Gently mix the salmon pieces with some mashed
>> potato and seasoning. Fry gently on each side.

> Can you chop it small or do you have to get out the processor and grind
> it?

Nooo don't process it (unless you just want mush of course) Keep decent
sized pieces and mix very gently to keep them whole. sf makes these I think
so she will be able to share the way she makes them.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "Tom Del Rosso" > wrote in message

>>> Salmon fish cakes? Gently mix the salmon pieces with some mashed
>>> potato and seasoning. Fry gently on each side.

>> Can you chop it small or do you have to get out the processor and grind
>> it?

> Nooo don't process it (unless you just want mush of course) Keep decent
> sized pieces and mix very gently to keep them whole. sf makes these I
> think so she will be able to share the way she makes them.

OH btw when mine are mixed and shaped, I usually leave them in the fridge
for a wee while to set. They freeze very well too.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Tom Del Rosso" > wrote in message

> Ophelia wrote:

>> > Can you chop it small or do you have to get out the processor and
>> > grind it?

>> Nooo don't process it (unless you just want mush of course) Keep
>> decent sized pieces and mix very gently to keep them whole. sf makes
>> these I think so she will be able to share the way she makes them.

> I was thinking of it like a burger, but I guess salmon burgers are just
> chopped too.

You will find how you like them best, but we like to have pieces of fish in
ours. I make them with other types of fish too.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 1 Oct 2013 15:12:32 +0100, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

> Nooo don't process it (unless you just want mush of course) Keep decent
> sized pieces and mix very gently to keep them whole. sf makes these I think
> so she will be able to share the way she makes them.

I don't use raw fish. I make a double portion of whatever fish I'm
cooking and break it into thumbnail sized chunks along the natural
lines that cooked fish develops. If I was buying those scraps, I'd
poach or saute them lightly first and then proceed.

Those scraps could also be sautéed and served with some sort of sauce.
http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipe...iyaki?cmpid=fb
http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipe...-Mustard-Sauce
http://www.pillsbury.com/recipes/gri...6-d67263a65b84

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, October 3, 2013 10:41:45 AM UTC-4, Marcella Peek wrote:

> And the old Silver Palate cookbook has a recipe with pasta tossed with a
> creamy alfredo type sauce with pesto stirred in and chunks of salmon
> that is quite good as well. Not sure if that recipe is in the updated
> version of the book.
>
> marcella

Excellent cook book. The first two in the series, Silver
Palate and Good times Silver Palate are good but don't buy
the others. The ones I know are a rehash of the first two
and some have untested recipes. If you like this style of
cooking there is enough in the first two books for a
lifetime of ideas.

http://www.richardfisher.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 03 Oct 2013 07:41:45 -0700, Marcella Peek
> wrote:

> And the old Silver Palate cookbook has a recipe with pasta tossed with a
> creamy alfredo type sauce with pesto stirred in and chunks of salmon
> that is quite good as well. Not sure if that recipe is in the updated
> version of the book.

I like to serve salmon with aioli as dinner. Leftover salmon becomes
part of a pasta salad with aioli serving as the dressing. Sometimes I
think I like the pasta salad made from leftovers better than the
original meal.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Marcella Peek wrote:

> And the old Silver Palate cookbook has a recipe with pasta tossed
> with a creamy alfredo type sauce with pesto stirred in and chunks of
> salmon that is quite good as well. Not sure if that recipe is in the
> updated version of the book.

Creamy Alfredo and pesto together?

--

Reply in group, but if emailing remove the last word.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/30/2013 11:48 AM, Janet Bostwick wrote:

> On Mon, 30 Sep 2013 10:42:02 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:

>> Salmon Stuffed Pasta Shells
>>
>> 14-16 jumbo shell macaroni
>> 1 egg, beaten
>> 1 c. ricotta cheese
>> 3 Tbs. chopped onion
>> 2 Tbs. minced parsley
>> 1/4 tsp. salt
>> 1 c. canned salmon, drained and flaked
>> grated lemon zest
>> 1/4 c. light cream or whole milk
>>
>> Dill Sauce:
>>
>> 1-1/2 Tbs. butter
>> 1-1/2 - 2 Tbs. all purpose flour
>> 1/4 tsp. salt
>> 1/8 tsp. pepper
>> 1 c. light cream
>> 3 Tbs. freshly snipped dill or 2 Tbs. dried dill weed
>> 1 Tbs. lemon juice
>>
>> Melt butter in a small saucepan and whisk in flour with salt and pepper;
>> stir until well blended. Add cream and cook until thickened to desired
>> consistency. Add the lemon juice and dill and stir until well blended,
>> about 1 minute. Remove saucepan from heat.
>>
>> Cook shells according to package directions; drain well. Set aside,
>> separated on waxed paper so they don't stick together. Combine egg,
>> ricotta, onion, parsley, lemon zest, salt and flaked salmon. Add the
>> light cream or milk to the bottom of a large baking dish. Fill each
>> pasta shell with a heaping tablespoonful of the salmon filling. Arrange
>> the shells in a 13X9 baking dish. Cover with foil and bake at 350F for
>> 30 minutes. Before serving, spoon the cream sauce over the top.
>>
>> Jill

> Thank you for that. It's a perfect solution to all the salmon I have
> in the freezer.
> Janet US

I'm a little late to reply to this, but I'd bet it would be great with
crab meat.

As for salmon, I made rangoon with salmon and crab one time and it was
fantastic. Everyone devoured them.

--
CAPSLOCK–Preventing Login Since 1980.

Dinner last night 13Dec, PICs: Salmon fillet. Aussie1 General Cooking 0 13-12-2010 08:35 PM
Stuffed Salmon Fillet's? Omelet General Cooking 29 04-04-2007 07:19 AM
How long to "dry" a Salmon fillet before plopping it in the smoker? Rick F. Barbecue 7 20-03-2007 08:20 PM
Salmon scraps notbob General Cooking 14 03-07-2004 07:22 AM
Help! Need salmon recipe for tonite(ground-up wasabi peas on sauteed salmon fillet) Pierre General Cooking 1 07-02-2004 01:17 PM