Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Stuffed Salmon Fillet's?

Omelet wrote:

> I'll be cooking for guests next week and am planning a seafood dinner.
> I saved 1/2 of the Paella I made in the freezer (sorry, but it's
> sometimes a practical thing for time consuming side-dishes) but am
> planning on serving baked salmon as the main entree'.
>
> After reading some of those favorite recipe posts, I'm considering
> stuffing them.
>
> I've never done this and am open to suggestions as to what to use as a
> stuffing. :-)
>
> Anyone?

I have had a few different types of salmon stuffed with ... stuff. I was
never impressed. How about salmon fillets baked in Phyllo pastry?

Preheat oven to 400 F. 200 C
For each portion of salmon you will need 4 half sheets of phyllo pastry.
Lay the pastry out and brush with melted butter and sprinkle a few sesame
seeds on each until 4 high. Lay the salmon on the middle of the top sheet
of pastry and sprinkle with 1/4 tsp brown sugar, about one tablespoon of
finely chopped onion, one table spoon of orange juice and 1-2 tsp chopped
fresh dill. Draw up the edges of the pasty and pinch into a drawstring.
Brush with more butter and sprinkle with some more sesame seeds then bake
for 20 minutes.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I'll be cooking for guests next week and am planning a seafood dinner.
I saved 1/2 of the Paella I made in the freezer (sorry, but it's
sometimes a practical thing for time consuming side-dishes) but am
planning on serving baked salmon as the main entree'.

After reading some of those favorite recipe posts, I'm considering
stuffing them.

I've never done this and am open to suggestions as to what to use as a
stuffing. :-)

Anyone?

Or is this a bad idea?
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> Omelet wrote:
>>
>> I'll be cooking for guests next week and am planning a seafood dinner.
>> I saved 1/2 of the Paella I made in the freezer (sorry, but it's
>> sometimes a practical thing for time consuming side-dishes) but am
>> planning on serving baked salmon as the main entree'.
>>
>> After reading some of those favorite recipe posts, I'm considering
>> stuffing them.
>>
>> I've never done this and am open to suggestions as to what to use as a
>> stuffing. :-)
>>
>> Anyone?

> I have had a few different types of salmon stuffed with ... stuff. I was
> never impressed. How about salmon fillets baked in Phyllo pastry?
>
> Preheat oven to 400 F. 200 C
> For each portion of salmon you will need 4 half sheets of phyllo pastry.
> Lay the pastry out and brush with melted butter and sprinkle a few sesame
> seeds on each until 4 high. Lay the salmon on the middle of the top sheet
> of pastry and sprinkle with 1/4 tsp brown sugar, about one tablespoon of
> finely chopped onion, one table spoon of orange juice and 1-2 tsp chopped
> fresh dill. Draw up the edges of the pasty and pinch into a drawstring.
> Brush with more butter and sprinkle with some more sesame seeds then bake
> for 20 minutes.

Phyllo pastry works well and easy too. Not sure about the brown sugar - it
wouldn't be my thing, sesame seeds sounds good though.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 31 Mar 2007 14:19:58 -0600, Omelet >
wrote:

>I'll be cooking for guests next week and am planning a seafood dinner.
>I saved 1/2 of the Paella I made in the freezer (sorry, but it's
>sometimes a practical thing for time consuming side-dishes) but am
>planning on serving baked salmon as the main entree'.
>
>After reading some of those favorite recipe posts, I'm considering
>stuffing them.
>
>I've never done this and am open to suggestions as to what to use as a
>stuffing. :-)
>
>Anyone?
>
>Or is this a bad idea?

1. Stuffing a salmon like you'd stuff a sole is guilding a lily.
Don't do it unless you can find something very simple that doesn't
involve bread crumbs.

2. I wouldn't serve two "fussy" dishes together.

3. Did you remove the seafood from your paella before you froze it?
I can see freezing and reheating the rice - adding fresh seafood, but
I can't imagine how the seafood will taste now if you froze it along
with the rice.

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Mar 31, 12:19 pm, Omelet > wrote:
> I'll be cooking for guests next week and am planning a seafood dinner.
> I saved 1/2 of the Paella I made in the freezer (sorry, but it's
> sometimes a practical thing for time consuming side-dishes) but am
> planning on serving baked salmon as the main entree'.
>
> After reading some of those favorite recipe posts, I'm considering
> stuffing them.
>
> I've never done this and am open to suggestions as to what to use as a
> stuffing. :-)
>
> Anyone?
>
> Or is this a bad idea?
> --
> Peace, Om
>
> Remove _ to validate e-mails.
>
> "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a bitch" -- Jack Nicholson

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
> I'll be cooking for guests next week and am planning a seafood dinner.
> I saved 1/2 of the Paella I made in the freezer (sorry, but it's
> sometimes a practical thing for time consuming side-dishes) but am
> planning on serving baked salmon as the main entree'.
>
> After reading some of those favorite recipe posts, I'm considering
> stuffing them.
>
> I've never done this and am open to suggestions as to what to use as a
> stuffing. :-)
>
> Anyone?
>
> Or is this a bad idea?

I've never stuffed salmon, only white fish fillets. Then I used tiny shrimp
and canned crabmeat. It may or may not work well with salmon, I really
don't know.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> I have had a few different types of salmon stuffed with ... stuff. I was
> never impressed. How about salmon fillets baked in Phyllo pastry?

<snip>

I am with you on this one Dave. Tried something very similar to this
before - was great!

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:
> Omelet wrote:
>>
>> I'll be cooking for guests next week and am planning a seafood
>> dinner. I saved 1/2 of the Paella I made in the freezer (sorry, but
>> it's sometimes a practical thing for time consuming side-dishes) but
>> am planning on serving baked salmon as the main entree'.
>>
>> After reading some of those favorite recipe posts, I'm considering
>> stuffing them.
>>
>> I've never done this and am open to suggestions as to what to use as
>> a stuffing. :-)
>>
>> Anyone?

> I have had a few different types of salmon stuffed with ... stuff. I
> was never impressed. How about salmon fillets baked in Phyllo pastry?
>
> Preheat oven to 400 F. 200 C
> For each portion of salmon you will need 4 half sheets of phyllo
> pastry. Lay the pastry out and brush with melted butter and sprinkle
> a few sesame seeds on each until 4 high. Lay the salmon on the middle
> of the top sheet of pastry and sprinkle with 1/4 tsp brown sugar,
> about one tablespoon of finely chopped onion, one table spoon of
> orange juice and 1-2 tsp chopped fresh dill. Draw up the edges of
> the pasty and pinch into a drawstring. Brush with more butter and
> sprinkle with some more sesame seeds then bake for 20 minutes.

I've never been impressed with stuffed salmon, either, Dave. I like your
idea better. And, it's probably cheaper!

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>After reading some of those favorite recipe posts, I'm considering
>stuffing them.
>
>I've never done this and am open to suggestions as to what to use as a
>stuffing.

This has been done many times for us.....guests drop to their knees
and beg for the recipe.

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Salmon Wellington

fish, seafood

8 salmon fillets, 6 oz. each
1 egg yolk glaze
1 pkg puff pastry
----MUSHROOM ONION FILLING----
3 tablespoon butter
1 salt & pepper
1 lb mushrooms, chopped
2 onions, chopped
----LIGHT WHITE WINE SAUCE----
6 tablespoon dry white wine
6 tablespoon white vinegar
2 tablespoon shallots, minced
1 1/2 cup heavy cream
1 teaspoon salt & white pepper
2 tablespoon parsley, minced

Make mushroom onion filling: Melt butter or margarine in skillet and
sauté‚
onion until lightly browned. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring, until
most
of the liquid has evaporated. Season to taste. Remove to bowl and
chill.

*Filling may be refrigerated up to 2 days or may be frozen.

Roll half the pastry on a floured board into a rectangle approximately
14
inches long and 12 inches wide. Cut into 4 rectangles. Repeat with
remaining dough.

Place salmon fillets on a greased baking sheet. Tuck the thinner parts
of
fillet underneath, making them all the same thickness. Divide mushroom
onion filling among the fillets and spread evenly on top. Cover each
with
a rectangle of pastry. Tuck 1/2 inch of pastry under fillets; trim off
excess dough. Do not cover the entire bottom with pastry or it will
become
soggy. Brush top and sides with egg yolk glaze, being careful not to
let
glaze drip. Re-roll scraps of pastry and cut out small decorations.
Place
on Wellingtons and glaze the entire pastry again.

*May be refrigerated up to 8 hours.

Make light white wine sauce: Place wine, vinegar and shallots or onion
in
medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, lower the heat, and simmer until
slightly thickened and reduced to approximately 4 tablespoons. Slowly
whisk in the cream. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until sauce
thickens to
desired consistency. This will take a little time, but as the water
evaporates from the cream, it will thicken. Season to taste with salt
and
pepper. Stir in chives or parsley. Reheat before serving. If sauce
becomes
too thick, thin down with additional wine or cream. Serve hot.

Before serving, bring Wellingtons to room temperature for 1 hour.
Preheat
oven to 425F. Bake Wellingtons for 20-25 minutes or until the pastry
is
golden. At this time, if the fillets are 3/4 inch thick, they will be
moist and flaky. Spoon a small amount of sauce on each plate, place
Wellingtons on sauce and pass remaining sauce.

Yield: 8 servings

The Fine Art of Cooking involves personal choice.
Many preferences, ingredients, and procedures
may not be consistent with what you know to be true.

As with any recipe, you may find your personal
intervention will be necessary. Bon Appetit!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

elaine wrote:

> >> I've never done this and am open to suggestions as to what to use as a
> >> stuffing. :-)
> >>
> >> Anyone?

> > I have had a few different types of salmon stuffed with ... stuff. I was
> > never impressed. How about salmon fillets baked in Phyllo pastry?
> >
> > Preheat oven to 400 F. 200 C
> > For each portion of salmon you will need 4 half sheets of phyllo pastry.
> > Lay the pastry out and brush with melted butter and sprinkle a few sesame
> > seeds on each until 4 high. Lay the salmon on the middle of the top sheet
> > of pastry and sprinkle with 1/4 tsp brown sugar, about one tablespoon of
> > finely chopped onion, one table spoon of orange juice and 1-2 tsp chopped
> > fresh dill. Draw up the edges of the pasty and pinch into a drawstring.
> > Brush with more butter and sprinkle with some more sesame seeds then bake
> > for 20 minutes.

> Phyllo pastry works well and easy too. Not sure about the brown sugar - it
> wouldn't be my thing, sesame seeds sounds good though.

I wondered about the brown sugar too, but believe me, it works. This makes
a fantastic meal. The only problem I have with it is that there are only
two of us here, so it would only require 4 sheets. I would have to get a
while package of phyllo. I suppose I could always use the rest of it to
make a batch of Galaktobourito.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
> In article >,
> "jmcquown" > wrote:
>
>> Omelet wrote:
>>> I'll be cooking for guests next week and am planning a seafood dinner.
>>> I saved 1/2 of the Paella I made in the freezer (sorry, but it's
>>> sometimes a practical thing for time consuming side-dishes) but am
>>> planning on serving baked salmon as the main entree'.
>>>
>>> After reading some of those favorite recipe posts, I'm considering
>>> stuffing them.
>>>
>>> I've never done this and am open to suggestions as to what to use as a
>>> stuffing. :-)
>>>
>>> Anyone?
>>>
>>> Or is this a bad idea?

>> I've never stuffed salmon, only white fish fillets. Then I used tiny shrimp
>> and canned crabmeat. It may or may not work well with salmon, I really
>> don't know.
>>
>> Jill

> Hm, I dunno... This was my dilemma.
> Salmon has a very strong flavor on it's own. I milder stuffing would be
> in order.

Personally, I prefer salmon on its own...teriyaki or with mango salsa.

If I were to stuff fish I'd choose catfish, trout, or flounder.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Dave Smith > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
> >
> > I'll be cooking for guests next week and am planning a seafood dinner.
> > I saved 1/2 of the Paella I made in the freezer (sorry, but it's
> > sometimes a practical thing for time consuming side-dishes) but am
> > planning on serving baked salmon as the main entree'.
> >
> > After reading some of those favorite recipe posts, I'm considering
> > stuffing them.
> >
> > I've never done this and am open to suggestions as to what to use as a
> > stuffing. :-)
> >
> > Anyone?

> I have had a few different types of salmon stuffed with ... stuff. I was
> never impressed. How about salmon fillets baked in Phyllo pastry?
>
> Preheat oven to 400 F. 200 C
> For each portion of salmon you will need 4 half sheets of phyllo pastry.
> Lay the pastry out and brush with melted butter and sprinkle a few sesame
> seeds on each until 4 high. Lay the salmon on the middle of the top sheet
> of pastry and sprinkle with 1/4 tsp brown sugar, about one tablespoon of
> finely chopped onion, one table spoon of orange juice and 1-2 tsp chopped
> fresh dill. Draw up the edges of the pasty and pinch into a drawstring.
> Brush with more butter and sprinkle with some more sesame seeds then bake
> for 20 minutes.

Cool.

Recipe saved for reference, thanks!

I'm not "set" on stuffed salmon, catfish fillets are still not out of
the question. They are milder so might be more suited.

Nothing is set in stone at this point. :-) I won't be cooking until Wed.
the 4th.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"jmcquown" > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
> > I'll be cooking for guests next week and am planning a seafood dinner.
> > I saved 1/2 of the Paella I made in the freezer (sorry, but it's
> > sometimes a practical thing for time consuming side-dishes) but am
> > planning on serving baked salmon as the main entree'.
> >
> > After reading some of those favorite recipe posts, I'm considering
> > stuffing them.
> >
> > I've never done this and am open to suggestions as to what to use as a
> > stuffing. :-)
> >
> > Anyone?
> >
> > Or is this a bad idea?

> I've never stuffed salmon, only white fish fillets. Then I used tiny shrimp
> and canned crabmeat. It may or may not work well with salmon, I really
> don't know.
>
> Jill

Hm, I dunno... This was my dilemma.
Salmon has a very strong flavor on it's own. I milder stuffing would be
in order.

It's why I've considered (and mentioned to my guests) stuffed catfish
fillet as an alternative.

Granted, it's less expensive too, but not significantly enough to make
cost a real consideration in the final decision.

I can get whitefish but It tends to be "overly" flaky for stuffing?
<shrugs> I need a meat with more texture.

Too bad they don't like to eat pork or much beef. ;-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 01 Apr 2007 10:05:47 -0500, Omelet >
wrote:

>In article . com>,
> "aem" > wrote:
>
><snipped my part> but you did not add anything???
>
>?????????

Sometimes what you read and did not to post to gets posted anyway. It
has happened to me (and some other posters) too. I can cancel usenet
messages via this newsreader - so if I catch it quickly enough, I'll
cancel.

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"kilikini" > wrote:

> Dave Smith wrote:
> > Omelet wrote:
> >>
> >> I'll be cooking for guests next week and am planning a seafood
> >> dinner. I saved 1/2 of the Paella I made in the freezer (sorry, but
> >> it's sometimes a practical thing for time consuming side-dishes) but
> >> am planning on serving baked salmon as the main entree'.
> >>
> >> After reading some of those favorite recipe posts, I'm considering
> >> stuffing them.
> >>
> >> I've never done this and am open to suggestions as to what to use as
> >> a stuffing. :-)
> >>
> >> Anyone?

> > I have had a few different types of salmon stuffed with ... stuff. I
> > was never impressed. How about salmon fillets baked in Phyllo pastry?
> >
> > Preheat oven to 400 F. 200 C
> > For each portion of salmon you will need 4 half sheets of phyllo
> > pastry. Lay the pastry out and brush with melted butter and sprinkle
> > a few sesame seeds on each until 4 high. Lay the salmon on the middle
> > of the top sheet of pastry and sprinkle with 1/4 tsp brown sugar,
> > about one tablespoon of finely chopped onion, one table spoon of
> > orange juice and 1-2 tsp chopped fresh dill. Draw up the edges of
> > the pasty and pinch into a drawstring. Brush with more butter and
> > sprinkle with some more sesame seeds then bake for 20 minutes.

> I've never been impressed with stuffed salmon, either, Dave. I like your
> idea better. And, it's probably cheaper!
>
> kili

This is why I was asking, thanks luv!

I know you do not care for catfish either, but the farm raised fillet's
in this area are very mild and not the least bit muddy, but I'm still
open to suggestions. ;-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, sf wrote:

> On Sat, 31 Mar 2007 14:19:58 -0600, Omelet >
> wrote:
>
> >I'll be cooking for guests next week and am planning a seafood dinner.
> >I saved 1/2 of the Paella I made in the freezer (sorry, but it's
> >sometimes a practical thing for time consuming side-dishes) but am
> >planning on serving baked salmon as the main entree'.
> >
> >After reading some of those favorite recipe posts, I'm considering
> >stuffing them.
> >
> >I've never done this and am open to suggestions as to what to use as a
> >stuffing. :-)
> >
> >Anyone?
> >
> >Or is this a bad idea?

> 1. Stuffing a salmon like you'd stuff a sole is guilding a lily.
> Don't do it unless you can find something very simple that doesn't
> involve bread crumbs.
>
> 2. I wouldn't serve two "fussy" dishes together.
>
> 3. Did you remove the seafood from your paella before you froze it?
> I can see freezing and reheating the rice - adding fresh seafood, but
> I can't imagine how the seafood will taste now if you froze it along
> with the rice.

Trust me... :-) It works fine, I've done it in the past.

The trick is to forget you own a microwave...

Thaw the dish in the refrigerator, then re-heat by STEAMING.

Just like buying any frozen pre-cooked seafood item, such as crab legs.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Chatty Cathy > wrote:

> Dave Smith wrote:
>
> > I have had a few different types of salmon stuffed with ... stuff. I was
> > never impressed. How about salmon fillets baked in Phyllo pastry?

> <snip>
>
> I am with you on this one Dave. Tried something very similar to this
> before - was great!

Problem:

These people eat like me.

Low carb.

Pastry is out, but thanks anyhoo! :-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 01 Apr 2007 10:48:26 -0500, Omelet >
wrote:

>In article >,
> ravenlynne > wrote:
>
>> > Hm, I dunno... This was my dilemma.
>> > Salmon has a very strong flavor on it's own. I milder stuffing would be
>> > in order.

>> Personally, I prefer salmon on its own...teriyaki or with mango salsa.
>>
>> If I were to stuff fish I'd choose catfish, trout, or flounder.

>Catfish has not been ruled out. :-)
>I actually have some very nice fillet's in the freezer. Perhaps a
>mushroom/veggie mix of some sort?

I like the catfish idea better. What about a carrot and currant
stuffing?
http://beyondsalmon.blogspot.com/200...t-currant.html
or
http://tinylink.com/?M0jCTStFuY

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
ravenlynne > wrote:

> > Hm, I dunno... This was my dilemma.
> > Salmon has a very strong flavor on it's own. I milder stuffing would be
> > in order.

> Personally, I prefer salmon on its own...teriyaki or with mango salsa.
>
> If I were to stuff fish I'd choose catfish, trout, or flounder.

Catfish has not been ruled out. :-)
I actually have some very nice fillet's in the freezer. Perhaps a
mushroom/veggie mix of some sort?
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Apr 1, 8:05 am, Omelet > wrote:
> In article . com>,
>
> "aem" > wrote:
>
> <snipped my part> but you did not add anything???
>
> ?????????

I took out the apostrophe you inadvertently put in the title. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ravenlynne wrote:

> Personally, I prefer salmon on its own...teriyaki or with mango salsa.
>
> If I were to stuff fish I'd choose catfish, trout, or flounder.

I love teriyaki salmon. I used to do that often, back on Maui. If you
don't want to make your own Teriyaki, Kikkoman's (gasp) makes a half-way
decent pineapple teriyaki. I'd wrap the salmon in foil and bake it
slathered in the sauce. It wasn't bad!

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
> In article >,
> Chatty Cathy > wrote:
>
>> Dave Smith wrote:
>>
>>> I have had a few different types of salmon stuffed with ... stuff.
>>> I was never impressed. How about salmon fillets baked in Phyllo
>>> pastry?

>> <snip>
>>
>> I am with you on this one Dave. Tried something very similar to this
>> before - was great!

> Problem:
>
> These people eat like me.
>
> Low carb.
>
> Pastry is out, but thanks anyhoo! :-)

Shoots, I forgot about the necessary low-carb thing. Darn it. That leaves
Teriyaki out, too. At this point, I'd go for stuffed catfish. How large
are the fillets?

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:

> In article >,
> Chatty Cathy > wrote:
>
> > Dave Smith wrote:
> >
> > > I have had a few different types of salmon stuffed with ... stuff. I was
> > > never impressed. How about salmon fillets baked in Phyllo pastry?

> > <snip>
> >
> > I am with you on this one Dave. Tried something very similar to this
> > before - was great!

> Problem:
>
> These people eat like me.
>
> Low carb.
>
> Pastry is out, but thanks anyhoo! :-)

How many carbs are too many? This is phyllo pasty, not puff pastry. There
are only four layers of phyllo, each one using a half sheet, so it is only
two sheets of phyllo per serving. If I read this site correctly, that makes
20 grams of carbs, 6% of RDA.

FWIW, my wife is into the low carb diet and she has no problem with this
one.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, sf wrote:

> On Sun, 01 Apr 2007 10:48:26 -0500, Omelet >
> wrote:

> >> Personally, I prefer salmon on its own...teriyaki or with mango salsa.
> >>
> >> If I were to stuff fish I'd choose catfish, trout, or flounder.

> >Catfish has not been ruled out. :-)
> >I actually have some very nice fillet's in the freezer. Perhaps a
> >mushroom/veggie mix of some sort?

> I like the catfish idea better. What about a carrot and currant
> stuffing?
> http://beyondsalmon.blogspot.com/200...carrot-currant.
> html
> or
> http://tinylink.com/?M0jCTStFuY

That looks interesting, but I want something more savory. :-)

Perhaps mushrooms and various chopped veggies. MOSTLY mushroom with
celery, summer squash and maybe even peas. The guests tend to avoid
carbs as much as we do which is what makes it a pleasure to cook for
them. <G>

Many thanks tho'!

I have settled on both stuffed catfish AND baked salmon with basil and
lemon, a small portion of each.

I'll do my best to make it look decorative. <G>

2 days and counting....

My gods. I'm going to be 45.

<sigh>

On the bright side, it's closer to retirement, but dad is 30 years older
than I as of June.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"kilikini" > wrote:

> ravenlynne wrote:
>
> > Personally, I prefer salmon on its own...teriyaki or with mango salsa.
> >
> > If I were to stuff fish I'd choose catfish, trout, or flounder.

> I love teriyaki salmon. I used to do that often, back on Maui. If you
> don't want to make your own Teriyaki, Kikkoman's (gasp) makes a half-way
> decent pineapple teriyaki. I'd wrap the salmon in foil and bake it
> slathered in the sauce. It wasn't bad!
>
> kili

Ooh, I never thought of pineapple, my thoughts were all on citrus,
thanks! Pineapple would go well with catfish, but I'm not too sure about
Salmon? ;-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"kilikini" > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
> > In article >,
> > Chatty Cathy > wrote:

> >> <snip>
> >>
> >> I am with you on this one Dave. Tried something very similar to this
> >> before - was great!

> > Problem:
> >
> > These people eat like me.
> >
> > Low carb.
> >
> > Pastry is out, but thanks anyhoo! :-)

> Shoots, I forgot about the necessary low-carb thing. Darn it. That leaves
> Teriyaki out, too. At this point, I'd go for stuffed catfish. How large
> are the fillets?
>
> kili

Big enough for a small stuffing. :-)

All suggestions are appreciated, as "low carb" does not equal "NO carb"!
<lol>

You, of all people, know about that! <G>

I'm just lucky to have a pair of guests that eat the same as we do! ;-D
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Dave Smith > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
> >
> > In article >,
> > Chatty Cathy > wrote:

> > > <snip>
> > >
> > > I am with you on this one Dave. Tried something very similar to this
> > > before - was great!

> > Problem:
> >
> > These people eat like me.
> >
> > Low carb.
> >
> > Pastry is out, but thanks anyhoo! :-)

> How many carbs are too many? This is phyllo pasty, not puff pastry. There
> are only four layers of phyllo, each one using a half sheet, so it is only
> two sheets of phyllo per serving. If I read this site correctly, that makes
> 20 grams of carbs, 6% of RDA.
>
> FWIW, my wife is into the low carb diet and she has no problem with this
> one.

My personal limit is 20 grams per day... And since I don't know what my
guests limit is, I try to make it as low as possible. ;-)

Thanks!
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
> In article >,
> "kilikini" > wrote:

>> Shoots, I forgot about the necessary low-carb thing. Darn it. That
>> leaves Teriyaki out, too. At this point, I'd go for stuffed
>> catfish. How large are the fillets?
>>
>> kili

> Big enough for a small stuffing. :-)
>
> All suggestions are appreciated, as "low carb" does not equal "NO
> carb"! <lol>
>
> You, of all people, know about that! <G>
>
> I'm just lucky to have a pair of guests that eat the same as we do!
> ;-D

What if you try a cream cheese stuffing with a celery, thyme, onion (carbs)
thingy? Roll it up, add lemon juice and bake? Or you may be able to get
away with a ricotta filling? Then again, you could do the mainstay of crab
or even mudbugs with onion (carbs), celery, lemon, old bay and egg. Or a
combo of some of the above, perhaps. OR, how about ricotta and spinach with
crab rolled up in a fillet? (I'm trying to think here.) I don't know.
Just don't forget the garlic, and if you want some sort of crust, you can
always use crushed almonds, pecans or mac nuts to roll the fillet in. Toss
in a little parmesan and melted butter with the nuts, and you've got
yourself a tasty dish. I don't know if this gives you any ideas, but I'm
trying to help!

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"kilikini" > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
> > In article >,
> > "kilikini" > wrote:

> >> Shoots, I forgot about the necessary low-carb thing. Darn it. That
> >> leaves Teriyaki out, too. At this point, I'd go for stuffed
> >> catfish. How large are the fillets?
> >>
> >> kili

> > Big enough for a small stuffing. :-)
> >
> > All suggestions are appreciated, as "low carb" does not equal "NO
> > carb"! <lol>
> >
> > You, of all people, know about that! <G>
> >
> > I'm just lucky to have a pair of guests that eat the same as we do!
> > ;-D

> What if you try a cream cheese stuffing with a celery, thyme, onion (carbs)
> thingy? Roll it up, add lemon juice and bake? Or you may be able to get
> away with a ricotta filling? Then again, you could do the mainstay of crab
> or even mudbugs with onion (carbs), celery, lemon, old bay and egg. Or a
> combo of some of the above, perhaps. OR, how about ricotta and spinach with
> crab rolled up in a fillet? (I'm trying to think here.) I don't know.
> Just don't forget the garlic, and if you want some sort of crust, you can
> always use crushed almonds, pecans or mac nuts to roll the fillet in. Toss
> in a little parmesan and melted butter with the nuts, and you've got
> yourself a tasty dish. I don't know if this gives you any ideas, but I'm
> trying to help!
>
> kili

Indeed.... :-)
I'd not even thought of adding cheese.

Right now tho', (I've been off line for the most part for the past
couple of days) the plan is chopped mushrooms, baby spinach with dill
weed, garlic, lemon and basil. They don't like to mix dairy products
with meat. They are not Jewish, but they tend to follow some of the
Kosher rules.

I'm still learning about those......

<hugs>

:-)