Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Hello Bays; Goodbye Thomas's

English muffins that is. Never heard of Bay's until it came up here
a few weeks back. Happened to see them in the refrigerated case at
Stop & Shop so I figured I'd give them a try. They were also on sale
and had a $1 coupon attached too.

Both wife and I prefer them over the other brands so they will become
the English muffin of choice in this house. I don't recall who posted
the brand name first, but thanks for mentioning them.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 11 Aug 2013 11:01:42 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

> English muffins that is. Never heard of Bay's until it came up here
> a few weeks back. Happened to see them in the refrigerated case at
> Stop & Shop so I figured I'd give them a try. They were also on sale
> and had a $1 coupon attached too.
>
> Both wife and I prefer them over the other brands so they will become
> the English muffin of choice in this house. I don't recall who posted
> the brand name first, but thanks for mentioning them.

My reaction was the exact opposite. I hate Bays. There is nothing I
like about them - they are dense, heavy and tasteless. Discovered
Sara Lee english muffins and like them even better than Thomas's.
Love the flavor of their "regular" plus they have better nooks &
crannies and are crispier than Thomas's when toasted.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> On Sun, 11 Aug 2013 11:01:42 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
>
> > English muffins that is. Never heard of Bay's until it came up here
> > a few weeks back. Happened to see them in the refrigerated case at
> > Stop & Shop so I figured I'd give them a try. They were also on sale
> > and had a $1 coupon attached too.
> >
> > Both wife and I prefer them over the other brands so they will become
> > the English muffin of choice in this house. I don't recall who posted
> > the brand name first, but thanks for mentioning them.

> My reaction was the exact opposite. I hate Bays. There is nothing I
> like about them - they are dense, heavy and tasteless. Discovered
> Sara Lee english muffins and like them even better than Thomas's.
> Love the flavor of their "regular" plus they have better nooks &
> crannies and are crispier than Thomas's when toasted.

I'm not sure what you did to that batch of Bays, but everyone else I
know prefers them, including folks from the UK. I eat Bays muffins
regularly and have yet to have one that was in any way "dense", "heavy"
or "tasteless".
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/11/2013 11:14 AM, sf wrote:
> On Sun, 11 Aug 2013 11:01:42 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
>
>> English muffins that is. Never heard of Bay's until it came up here
>> a few weeks back. Happened to see them in the refrigerated case at
>> Stop & Shop so I figured I'd give them a try. They were also on sale
>> and had a $1 coupon attached too.
>>
>> Both wife and I prefer them over the other brands so they will become
>> the English muffin of choice in this house. I don't recall who posted
>> the brand name first, but thanks for mentioning them.

> My reaction was the exact opposite. I hate Bays. There is nothing I
> like about them - they are dense, heavy and tasteless. Discovered
> Sara Lee english muffins and like them even better than Thomas's.
> Love the flavor of their "regular" plus they have better nooks &
> crannies and are crispier than Thomas's when toasted.

Wow, what a contrast of opinions. I did not think they were dense at
all and thought the texture was better. I eat one half with me fried
egg, the other half with Trappist strawberry preserves with my tea.
Sort of like dessert.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/11/2013 9:01 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> English muffins that is. Never heard of Bay's until it came up here
> a few weeks back. Happened to see them in the refrigerated case at
> Stop & Shop so I figured I'd give them a try. They were also on sale
> and had a $1 coupon attached too.
>
> Both wife and I prefer them over the other brands so they will become
> the English muffin of choice in this house. I don't recall who posted
> the brand name first, but thanks for mentioning them.

I don't like either brand. Oroweat (Arnolds in the east?) are my
favorite, next to home made. Bays and Thomas's are too full of holes
and get too crisp when they are toasted for my taste.

gloria p

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Sunday, August 11, 2013 2:01:43 PM UTC-7, gloria p wrote:

> I don't like either brand. Oroweat (Arnolds in the east?) are my
>
> favorite, next to home made. Bays and Thomas's are too full of holes
>
> and get too crisp when they are toasted for my taste.
>

> gloria p

There is the beauty of individual preference. I like English muffins that are a bit dense and have lots of nooks and crannies and I like the crispy toasted with a soft center.
LOL !

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 11 Aug 2013 15:09:54 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

> I eat one half with me fried
> egg, the other half with Trappist strawberry preserves with my tea.
> Sort of like dessert.

I made a couple of batches of plum-peach jam this summer that I'm
inventing excuses to eat. It's really good!

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 11 Aug 2013 15:01:43 -0600, gloria p >
wrote:

> Bays and Thomas's are too full of holes
> and get too crisp when they are toasted for my taste.

The Bays I ate didn't have any holes. It was like eating a fork split
loaf of bread, only not as tasty. If you said that about Sara Lee,
I'd agree with the full of holes and crispy part... but that's what I
like.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> On Sun, 11 Aug 2013 15:01:43 -0600, gloria p >
> wrote:
>
> > Bays and Thomas's are too full of holes
> > and get too crisp when they are toasted for my taste.

> The Bays I ate didn't have any holes. It was like eating a fork split
> loaf of bread, only not as tasty. If you said that about Sara Lee,
> I'd agree with the full of holes and crispy part... but that's what I
> like.

If they didn't have any holes I don't know what you got, but it wasn't
the Bay's English Muffins. I've gone through many dozen over the years
and never had one without plenty of holes.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> On Sun, 11 Aug 2013 15:01:43 -0600, gloria p >
> wrote:
>
> > Bays and Thomas's are too full of holes
> > and get too crisp when they are toasted for my taste.

> The Bays I ate didn't have any holes. It was like eating a fork split
> loaf of bread, only not as tasty. If you said that about Sara Lee,
> I'd agree with the full of holes and crispy part... but that's what I
> like.

I'm really not sure what you got then, Bay's only makes English Muffins
and I have been eating their original ones for years and all have plenty
of holes. I've not had their Sourdough, Honey Wheat or Multi-Grain so
perhaps one of those is sub-par. Another possibility is that being in
the bay area, perhaps you got something else local that is using Bay in
it's name. At any rate this is what a Bay's English Muffin looks like:
http://wpnet.us/Bays.jpg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Pete C." wrote:

> sf wrote:
> >
> > On Sun, 11 Aug 2013 15:01:43 -0600, gloria p >
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Bays and Thomas's are too full of holes
> > > and get too crisp when they are toasted for my taste.

> > The Bays I ate didn't have any holes. It was like eating a fork split
> > loaf of bread, only not as tasty. If you said that about Sara Lee,
> > I'd agree with the full of holes and crispy part... but that's what I
> > like.

> I'm really not sure what you got then, Bay's only makes English Muffins
> and I have been eating their original ones for years and all have plenty
> of holes. I've not had their Sourdough, Honey Wheat or Multi-Grain so
> perhaps one of those is sub-par. Another possibility is that being in
> the bay area, perhaps you got something else local that is using Bay in
> it's name. At any rate this is what a Bay's English Muffin looks like:
> http://wpnet.us/Bays.jpg

Bay's aren't fork split either, they're factory cut.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 11 Aug 2013 15:09:54 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
>
>> I eat one half with me fried
>> egg, the other half with Trappist strawberry preserves with my tea.
>> Sort of like dessert.

> I made a couple of batches of plum-peach jam this summer that I'm
> inventing excuses to eat. It's really good!

Breakfast works for me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 11 Aug 2013 19:24:13 -0500, "Pete C." >
wrote:

> sf wrote:
> >
> > On Sun, 11 Aug 2013 15:01:43 -0600, gloria p >
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Bays and Thomas's are too full of holes
> > > and get too crisp when they are toasted for my taste.

> > The Bays I ate didn't have any holes. It was like eating a fork split
> > loaf of bread, only not as tasty. If you said that about Sara Lee,
> > I'd agree with the full of holes and crispy part... but that's what I
> > like.

> If they didn't have any holes I don't know what you got, but it wasn't
> the Bay's English Muffins. I've gone through many dozen over the years
> and never had one without plenty of holes.

Can't tell you. The package is the same package I always see in the
refrigerated section. Didn't like it and won't repeat that mistake.
They are too expensive to give them a second chance when I found
another brand I like better.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 11 Aug 2013 19:34:50 -0500, "Pete C." >
wrote:

> sf wrote:
> >
> > On Sun, 11 Aug 2013 15:01:43 -0600, gloria p >
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Bays and Thomas's are too full of holes
> > > and get too crisp when they are toasted for my taste.

> > The Bays I ate didn't have any holes. It was like eating a fork split
> > loaf of bread, only not as tasty. If you said that about Sara Lee,
> > I'd agree with the full of holes and crispy part... but that's what I
> > like.

> I'm really not sure what you got then, Bay's only makes English Muffins
> and I have been eating their original ones for years and all have plenty
> of holes. I've not had their Sourdough, Honey Wheat or Multi-Grain so
> perhaps one of those is sub-par. Another possibility is that being in
> the bay area, perhaps you got something else local that is using Bay in
> it's name. At any rate this is what a Bay's English Muffin looks like:
> http://wpnet.us/Bays.jpg

I don't know. The one I had didn't look like that, but hubby says all
the ones he ate did and he likes Bays. So it's a split decision at my
house.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 11 Aug 2013 15:09:54 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
>
>> I eat one half with me fried
>> egg, the other half with Trappist strawberry preserves with my tea.
>> Sort of like dessert.

> I made a couple of batches of plum-peach jam this summer that I'm
> inventing excuses to eat. It's really good!

If you find you have too much I can send you my address ....
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> On Sun, 11 Aug 2013 19:24:13 -0500, "Pete C." >
> wrote:
>

> > sf wrote:

> > > The Bays I ate didn't have any holes. It was like eating a fork split
> > > loaf of bread, only not as tasty. If you said that about Sara Lee,
> > > I'd agree with the full of holes and crispy part... but that's what I
> > > like.

> > If they didn't have any holes I don't know what you got, but it wasn't
> > the Bay's English Muffins. I've gone through many dozen over the years
> > and never had one without plenty of holes.

> Can't tell you. The package is the same package I always see in the
> refrigerated section. Didn't like it and won't repeat that mistake.
> They are too expensive to give them a second chance when I found
> another brand I like better.

Well, since you seem to have somehow got a dud muffin, I'd say that a
second try is in order. If you still don't like them after getting a
proper non-dud one, let me know and I'll pay-pal you the cost of the
package.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 12 Aug 2013 09:57:18 +0100, "Ophelia"
> wrote:
>

> "sf" > wrote in message
> >
> > I made a couple of batches of plum-peach jam this summer that I'm
> > inventing excuses to eat. It's really good!

> If you find you have too much I can send you my address ....
> --

LOL! Do send me your address, I have a couple of things for you from
Trader Joe's that I thought you might like. As far as the jam goes...
thumbprint cookies are scheduled for the near future.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 12 Aug 2013 10:18:12 -0500, "Pete C." >
wrote:

> Well, since you seem to have somehow got a dud muffin, I'd say that a
> second try is in order. If you still don't like them after getting a
> proper non-dud one, let me know and I'll pay-pal you the cost of the
> package.

Thanks, but no thanks. Hubby liked it well enough to polish off the
rest of the package... but he prefers Sara Lee too. Unfortunately,
the place I shop at the most doesn't carry that brand of English
muffin, so I have to shop elsewhere for that. I have to go to that
store to find the little 4 pack of Woodbridge cabernet sauvignon that
I use for cooking purposes, so now I will make the trip a twofer.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 12 Aug 2013 09:57:18 +0100, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>>

>> "sf" > wrote in message
>> >
>> > I made a couple of batches of plum-peach jam this summer that I'm
>> > inventing excuses to eat. It's really good!

>> If you find you have too much I can send you my address ....
>> --

> LOL! Do send me your address, I have a couple of things for you from
> Trader Joe's that I thought you might like. As far as the jam goes...
> thumbprint cookies are scheduled for the near future.

I'll write to you
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2013-08-11 17:37:43 +0000, Pete C. said:

> sf wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, 11 Aug 2013 11:01:42 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
>>
>>> English muffins that is. Never heard of Bay's until it came up here
>>> a few weeks back. Happened to see them in the refrigerated case at
>>> Stop & Shop so I figured I'd give them a try. They were also on sale
>>> and had a $1 coupon attached too.
>>>
>>> Both wife and I prefer them over the other brands so they will become
>>> the English muffin of choice in this house. I don't recall who posted
>>> the brand name first, but thanks for mentioning them.

>> My reaction was the exact opposite. I hate Bays. There is nothing I
>> like about them - they are dense, heavy and tasteless. Discovered
>> Sara Lee english muffins and like them even better than Thomas's.
>> Love the flavor of their "regular" plus they have better nooks &
>> crannies and are crispier than Thomas's when toasted.
>>

> I'm not sure what you did to that batch of Bays, but everyone else I
> know prefers them, including folks from the UK. I eat Bays muffins
> regularly and have yet to have one that was in any way "dense", "heavy"
> or "tasteless".

Add me to the Thomas list. Bays are okay; many are okay. But I've yet
to come up an "okay" that rose to the level of Thomas'.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
ysi ysi is offline

On Sunday, August 11, 2013 10:01:42 AM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> English muffins that is. Never heard of Bay's until it came up here a few weeks back. Happened to see them in the refrigerated case at Stop & Shop so I figured I'd give them a try. They were also on sale and had a $1 coupon attached too. Both wife and I prefer them over the other brands so they will become the English muffin of choice in this house. I don't recall who posted the brand name first, but thanks for mentioning them.

I like Thomas Original best for butter and jelly, but they are too delicate for a stiff peanut butter, and are not presliced in a consistent manner. I made the mistake this weekend of buying Thomas Fiber Light-awful. I like Village Hearth when I make a homemade sausage egg mcmuffin-good support base..
Posted to rec.food.cooking

gtr wrote:

> On 2013-08-11 17:37:43 +0000, Pete C. said:
>
> > sf wrote:

> >> My reaction was the exact opposite. I hate Bays. There is nothing I
> >> like about them - they are dense, heavy and tasteless. Discovered
> >> Sara Lee english muffins and like them even better than Thomas's.
> >> Love the flavor of their "regular" plus they have better nooks &
> >> crannies and are crispier than Thomas's when toasted.
> >>

> > I'm not sure what you did to that batch of Bays, but everyone else I
> > know prefers them, including folks from the UK. I eat Bays muffins
> > regularly and have yet to have one that was in any way "dense", "heavy"
> > or "tasteless".

> Add me to the Thomas list. Bays are okay; many are okay. But I've yet
> to come up an "okay" that rose to the level of Thomas'.

Well, Thomas' aren't remotely close to english muffins in England, Bay's
are very close.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2013-08-12 19:06:08 +0000, Pete C. said:

>>> I'm not sure what you did to that batch of Bays, but everyone else I
>>> know prefers them, including folks from the UK. I eat Bays muffins
>>> regularly and have yet to have one that was in any way "dense", "heavy"
>>> or "tasteless".

>> Add me to the Thomas list. Bays are okay; many are okay. But I've yet
>> to come up an "okay" that rose to the level of Thomas'.

> Well, Thomas' aren't remotely close to english muffins in England, Bay's
> are very close.

We have something in the US called "muffins" and they don't bear any
resemblance to that either. Sometimes even our "English" seems to be at
odds with England's "English".

But I don't care anything about the nomenclature, provinence or
tradition of English muffins. Eating them is the part I care about, and
my pleasure in that is what I use for comparison.

Though the tedious but passionate "authenticiy" issue seems to have
covered everything from tacos and tire-tools to doughnuts and donuts, I
haven't seen it arise on "English" "Muffins".

Let the blood letting begin!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 12 Aug 2013 17:40:06 -0700, gtr > wrote:

> >> Add me to the Thomas list. Bays are okay; many are okay. But I've yet
> >> to come up an "okay" that rose to the level of Thomas'.

> > Well, Thomas' aren't remotely close to english muffins in England, Bay's
> > are very close.

> We have something in the US called "muffins" and they don't bear any
> resemblance to that either. Sometimes even our "English" seems to be at
> odds with England's "English".
>
> But I don't care anything about the nomenclature, provinence or
> tradition of English muffins. Eating them is the part I care about, and
> my pleasure in that is what I use for comparison.
>
> Though the tedious but passionate "authenticiy" issue seems to have
> covered everything from tacos and tire-tools to doughnuts and donuts, I
> haven't seen it arise on "English" "Muffins".
>
> Let the blood letting begin!

I missed Pete's message where he said " Thomas' aren't remotely close
to English muffins in England, Bay's are very close" - so it confirms
to me that the English muffins served to me at a B&B in Bath were
really and truly HORRIBLE. They were by far the nastiest English
muffins I'd ever tasted... by FAR much worse than the cheapest piece
of crud they dare call an English muffin that you would ever buy over
here.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2013-08-13 07:01:59 +0000, sf said:

>>> Well, Thomas' aren't remotely close to english muffins in England, Bay's
>>> are very close.

>> We have something in the US called "muffins" and they don't bear any
>> resemblance to that either. Sometimes even our "English" seems to be at
>> odds with England's "English".
>>
>> But I don't care anything about the nomenclature, provinence or
>> tradition of English muffins. Eating them is the part I care about, and
>> my pleasure in that is what I use for comparison.
>>
>> Though the tedious but passionate "authenticiy" issue seems to have
>> covered everything from tacos and tire-tools to doughnuts and donuts, I
>> haven't seen it arise on "English" "Muffins".
>>
>> Let the blood letting begin!

> I missed Pete's message where he said " Thomas' aren't remotely close
> to English muffins in England, Bay's are very close" - so it confirms
> to me that the English muffins served to me at a B&B in Bath were
> really and truly HORRIBLE. They were by far the nastiest English
> muffins I'd ever tasted... by FAR much worse than the cheapest piece
> of crud they dare call an English muffin that you would ever buy over
> here.

That sounds authentically English to me!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 13 Aug 2013 09:48:37 -0700, gtr > wrote:

> That sounds authentically English to me!

I was astounded that she had the nerve to put something like that out
for guests.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 13 Aug 2013 19:13:17 +0100, Janet > wrote:

> In article >,
> says...
>
> > I was astounded that she had the nerve to put something like that out
> > for guests.

> Something like what? Can you find a picture that shows the kind of
> "muffin" you were served.

They aren't proud enough of what I'm talking about to take a picture
of it and show the interior, but English muffins look like this
http://www.macheesmo.com/wp-content/...nstack_550.jpg
what I'm talking about is thinner, cheap tasting and they are sliced,
not even mechanically fork split.

> The only kind of "muffin" I've ever seen served in UK BB's looks
> approximately like this; is this the style?
>
> http://www.captreegourmetdeli.com/im...st_muffins.jpg

They put those out too. They were too sweet and obviously bought in a
package at a grocery store. The coffee was okay, but unremarkable...
the fruit and yogurt were good. There isn't much you can do to ruin
individual packages of store bought yogurt.

We stayed at a couple of other B&Bs and I liked everything about them.
I was just disappointed by that one. Bath is a popular tourist
location, it was located right in town and we spent more than one
night so you'd think she would have put a little more effort into it
and tried to make a good impression in the name of tourism. It wasn't
like she didn't know we were coming, we made the reservation weeks in
advance. That person simply put zero effort into guest services (if
that's what breakfast at a B&B is called) - guests were obviously
considered a bothersome source of income and I question why she was in
the business at all.

We were given a full English breakfast (with some choices) at a less
expensive, working man's, B&B we stayed in on the spur of the moment -
so it's not like a decent meal can't be served to guests on short
notice.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, August 13, 2013 4:23:47 PM UTC-4, sf wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Aug 2013 19:13:17 +0100, Janet > wrote:
>

> > In article >,

> > says...

> > > I was astounded that she had the nerve to put something like that out

> > > for guests.

> > Something like what? Can you find a picture that shows the kind of

> > "muffin" you were served.

> They aren't proud enough of what I'm talking about to take a picture
>
> of it and show the interior, but English muffins look like this

http://www.macheesmo.com/wp-content/...nstack_550.jpg

> what I'm talking about is thinner, cheap tasting and they are sliced,
>
> not even mechanically fork split.
>

> > The only kind of "muffin" I've ever seen served in UK BB's looks

> > approximately like this; is this the style?

> > http://www.captreegourmetdeli.com/im...st_muffins.jpg

> They put those out too. They were too sweet and obviously bought in a
>
> package at a grocery store. The coffee was okay, but unremarkable...
>
> the fruit and yogurt were good. There isn't much you can do to ruin
>
> individual packages of store bought yogurt.
>

> We stayed at a couple of other B&Bs and I liked everything about them.
>
> I was just disappointed by that one. Bath is a popular tourist
>
> location, it was located right in town and we spent more than one
>
> night so you'd think she would have put a little more effort into it
>
> and tried to make a good impression in the name of tourism. It wasn't
>
> like she didn't know we were coming, we made the reservation weeks in
>
> advance. That person simply put zero effort into guest services (if
>
> that's what breakfast at a B&B is called) - guests were obviously
>
> considered a bothersome source of income and I question why she was in
>
> the business at all.
>

> We were given a full English breakfast (with some choices) at a less
>
> expensive, working man's, B&B we stayed in on the spur of the moment -
>
> so it's not like a decent meal can't be served to guests on short
>
> notice.
>

> --
>
> Food is an important part of a balanced diet.

If you morons don't know what english muffins are, why do you comment? It's an american term. We don't care what the **** you think about it. It's not "muffins in england". It's english muffins. ****ing google it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 13 Aug 2013 21:05:46 -0500, barbie gee >
wrote:

> I'm thinking that the closest the English have to what we call an English
> Muffin might be a crumpet, at least in shape and size. But the dough and
> cooking methods are different.
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_muffin>
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crumpet>
>
> Now back on point, I bought some Bay's on sale and had one this morning.
> Probably seem a bit denser than Thomas's to me. I'd probably buy Thomas's
> over Bay's, because I also like that they're more shelf stable while the
> Bay's is in the refrigerated section.

I *love* crumpets and even make them from time to time. Not sure why
English muffins are called by that term, they just are.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"barbie gee" > wrote in message
hcrg.pbz...

> I'm thinking that the closest the English have to what we call an English
> Muffin might be a crumpet, at least in shape and size. But the dough and
> cooking methods are different.
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_muffin>
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crumpet>

Yes those are our muffins and crumpets! We have those cake type muffins
too, but they are not the muffins being discussed here.
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> On Tue, 13 Aug 2013 21:05:46 -0500, barbie gee >
> wrote:
> >
> > I'm thinking that the closest the English have to what we call an English
> > Muffin might be a crumpet, at least in shape and size. But the dough and
> > cooking methods are different.
> > <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_muffin>
> > <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crumpet>
> >
> > Now back on point, I bought some Bay's on sale and had one this morning.
> > Probably seem a bit denser than Thomas's to me. I'd probably buy Thomas's
> > over Bay's, because I also like that they're more shelf stable while the
> > Bay's is in the refrigerated section.

> I *love* crumpets and even make them from time to time. Not sure why
> English muffins are called by that term, they just are.

English Muffins and Crumpets are definitely two distinctly different
things.

People may indeed prefer the Thomas' English Muffins over the Bay's, but
the Bay's are far more "authentic" to what I had when I was in the UK.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 14 Aug 2013 07:58:47 -0500, "Pete C." >
wrote:

> sf wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, 13 Aug 2013 21:05:46 -0500, barbie gee >
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > I'm thinking that the closest the English have to what we call an English
> > > Muffin might be a crumpet, at least in shape and size. But the dough and
> > > cooking methods are different.
> > > <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_muffin>
> > > <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crumpet>
> > >
> > > Now back on point, I bought some Bay's on sale and had one this morning.
> > > Probably seem a bit denser than Thomas's to me. I'd probably buy Thomas's
> > > over Bay's, because I also like that they're more shelf stable while the
> > > Bay's is in the refrigerated section.

> > I *love* crumpets and even make them from time to time. Not sure why
> > English muffins are called by that term, they just are.

> English Muffins and Crumpets are definitely two distinctly different
> things.

I didn't mean to imply that they were, I said I don't know why English
muffins are called English muffins.

> People may indeed prefer the Thomas' English Muffins over the Bay's, but
> the Bay's are far more "authentic" to what I had when I was in the UK.

So, you're telling Barbie & Janet there are English muffins found in
England that aren't crumpets or cupcakes?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 14 Aug 2013 09:26:12 +0100, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

> "barbie gee" > wrote in message
> hcrg.pbz...
>
> > I'm thinking that the closest the English have to what we call an English
> > Muffin might be a crumpet, at least in shape and size. But the dough and
> > cooking methods are different.
> > <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_muffin>
> > <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crumpet>

> Yes those are our muffins and crumpets! We have those cake type muffins
> too, but they are not the muffins being discussed here.
> --

I guess that's why we call them *English* muffins.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message

> So, you're telling Barbie & Janet there are English muffins found in
> England that aren't crumpets or cupcakes?

Of course there is)

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 14 Aug 2013 09:26:12 +0100, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>

>> "barbie gee" > wrote in message
>> hcrg.pbz...
>>
>> > I'm thinking that the closest the English have to what we call an
>> > English
>> > Muffin might be a crumpet, at least in shape and size. But the dough
>> > and
>> > cooking methods are different.
>> > <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_muffin>
>> > <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crumpet>

>> Yes those are our muffins and crumpets! We have those cake type muffins
>> too, but they are not the muffins being discussed here.
>> --

> I guess that's why we call them *English* muffins.

Dunno, we just call them 'muffins'

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> On Wed, 14 Aug 2013 07:58:47 -0500, "Pete C." >
> wrote:
>

> > sf wrote:

> > > I *love* crumpets and even make them from time to time. Not sure why
> > > English muffins are called by that term, they just are.

> > English Muffins and Crumpets are definitely two distinctly different
> > things.

> I didn't mean to imply that they were, I said I don't know why English
> muffins are called English muffins.
> >
> > People may indeed prefer the Thomas' English Muffins over the Bay's, but
> > the Bay's are far more "authentic" to what I had when I was in the UK.

> So, you're telling Barbie & Janet there are English muffins found in
> England that aren't crumpets or cupcakes?

It would seem so.

Also the fact that Bay's isn't full of preservatives and is thus
refrigerated is a plus for most people.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, August 11, 2013 10:14:16 AM UTC-5, sf wrote:
> On Sun, 11 Aug 2013 11:01:42 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
>

> > English muffins that is. Never heard of Bay's until it came up here

> > a few weeks back. Happened to see them in the refrigerated case at

> > Stop & Shop so I figured I'd give them a try. They were also on sale

> > and had a $1 coupon attached too.

> > Both wife and I prefer them over the other brands so they will become

> > the English muffin of choice in this house. I don't recall who posted

> > the brand name first, but thanks for mentioning them.

> My reaction was the exact opposite. I hate Bays. There is nothing I
>
> like about them - they are dense, heavy and tasteless. Discovered
>
> Sara Lee english muffins and like them even better than Thomas's.
>
> Love the flavor of their "regular" plus they have better nooks &
>
> crannies and are crispier than Thomas's when toasted.

Sara Lee's vinegar muffins, like most of their crap, are made with hydrogenated oils.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 14 Aug 2013 20:33:29 +0100, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
>
> > So, you're telling Barbie & Janet there are English muffins found in
> > England that aren't crumpets or cupcakes?

> Of course there is)

Getting back to what drove this off course... the "English" muffins I
had at that B&B were horrible. I would have enjoyed a grocery store
style crumpet, but they put out cruddy English muffins instead. Bah.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 14 Aug 2013 14:35:00 -0500, "Pete C." >
wrote:

> Also the fact that Bay's isn't full of preservatives and is thus
> refrigerated is a plus for most people.

I don't like their quick bread/cake like texture. Ugh.