Posted to rec.food.restaurants

Default My Horrible Experience at The Inn Spot of Hampton Bays, NY

Recently I was excited to be invited to a friend's wedding at the
Inn Spot of Hampton Bays located on Long Island, New York. I had heard
good things from the wedding and food community. In fact when I worked
for the New York Times, a fellow food critic told me what a nice time
they had at this Inn and Restaurant.

Sadly I must report that the wedding and subsequent stay at the
Inn was a horror show of epic proportions. When I arrived with my
guest the view of the water was beautiful and the laid back charm of
the restaurant was inviting. That is the only good thing I can say
about the experience. This place was unorganized, dirty, and staffed
by rude and inappropriate women.

It is safe to say that the staff did not know my history and that
currently I was the editor in chief of Gourmet magazine. The girl who
was working the desk rudely threw me my hotel keys after jabbering on a
cell phone for ten minutes. Upon walking to our room my guest shrieked
in horror as she saw three rats commiserating by the dumpster. I think
rats would be the only animal I would recommend the food that is served
at the Inn Spot. The rats however turned out to be just the beginning
of a nightmare weekend. After entering the shabby and poorly furnished
room I noticed cockroaches. I called the staff and was treated to poor
service and rude treatment. Finally our room was changed and we were
informed that they had no more towels. All weekend I had to conserve
the two towels that were already present in the room. In addition the
rooms were very small and had electrical problems as the air
conditioner was very tempermental and frequently shut down.

I could only pray that the wedding festivities would turn out much
better for my friend. With much despair I must report that the bad
service continued. The food in a word, was a disaster. The seafood
dish had no discernible seafood that I could find. The steak was
overcooked and bland. The dish that they claimed was chicken tasted as
if it was imported from China. The appetizers were small and
unappealing, that is if you could get any from the lazy staff. The
food was so bad that as a food critic I really can't go into any more
detail because I am starting to feel sick just thinking about it.

What was I to do, I grabbed my friend and ran straight to the bar,
thinking we would drink this bad experience out of us. Well even that
went badly. The bartender was lazy and ineffectual. This guy couldn't
make drinks if his life depended on it. I think he believed a
screwdriver was something to fix the door, which needed fixing by the
way. Strangely this fool for a bartender was serving minors all night.
One of the underaged guests got so sick he threw up on the back porch.
Only after taking a tongue lashing from the worried parent did the
bartender start carding the minors.

We went back to our rooms that night and decided to leave a day
early on Saturday. This experience needed to end as quickly as
possible. After leaving I noticed somthing crawling in my shoe, yes
indeed, a disgusting cockroach. My only hope is that my readers heed
my warnings and stay away from this place. If I can just prevent one
person from going through another horrible experience, I will feel what
I went through was worth it. Do yourself a favor and find another
place for a wedding, or hotel stay, or dinner.

In summary there is only one thing I can say about The Inn Spot in
Hampton Bays New York. STAY FAR AWAY!!!

Inn Spot of Hampton Bays
32 Lighthouse Road
Hampton Bays, New York

Horrible rating as a hotel, restaurant, and wedding caterer.

Written by Ruth Reichl
Editor in Chief of Gourmet Magazine