Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Making Yogurt at home?

On Fri, 26 Jul 2013 11:33:18 -0600, Christine Dabney
> wrote:

>Heya all,
>
>I am getting interested in making my own yogurt. I know some of you
>do or did make your own. I am eventually getting a yogurt maker, but
>until I get one in my hot little hands, I would like to make some the
>old fashioned way-by hand. I have been reading about the benefits of
>yogurts with live cultures, especially upon gut health, and I am sold.
>Plus I do like a good yogurt.
>
>Anyone make their own?
>
>Christine

I have been making mine for years. I found a 1 quart maker at a
thrift store for not much money. I buy Yogourmet brand of starter
especially since I do not make it on a very regular basis. Amazon has
2 kinds of Yogurt and 1 Kefir starters. The descriptions are somewhat
confusing. They come in boxes of 3 packets, there are 2 starters for
each packet. A box makes 6 quarts. I have had my starters in the
refrigerator for a couple of years and it still works just fine.

I believe it was Curly Sue who mentioned the Yogourmet brand. How
many remember her (not the movie)?
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"The Cook" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 26 Jul 2013 11:33:18 -0600, Christine Dabney
> > wrote:
>
>>Heya all,
>>
>>I am getting interested in making my own yogurt. I know some of you
>>do or did make your own. I am eventually getting a yogurt maker, but
>>until I get one in my hot little hands, I would like to make some the
>>old fashioned way-by hand. I have been reading about the benefits of
>>yogurts with live cultures, especially upon gut health, and I am sold.
>>Plus I do like a good yogurt.
>>
>>Anyone make their own?
>>
>>Christine

> I have been making mine for years. I found a 1 quart maker at a
> thrift store for not much money. I buy Yogourmet brand of starter
> especially since I do not make it on a very regular basis. Amazon has
> 2 kinds of Yogurt and 1 Kefir starters. The descriptions are somewhat
> confusing. They come in boxes of 3 packets, there are 2 starters for
> each packet. A box makes 6 quarts. I have had my starters in the
> refrigerator for a couple of years and it still works just fine.
>
> I believe it was Curly Sue who mentioned the Yogourmet brand. How
> many remember her (not the movie)?
> --

Gosh yes. I remember her. Any idea why she doesn't post anymore?

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 29 Jul 2013 09:39:57 +0100, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

> Gosh yes. I remember her. Any idea why she doesn't post anymore?

She's on Facebook now.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 29 Jul 2013 09:39:57 +0100, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>
>> Gosh yes. I remember her. Any idea why she doesn't post anymore?

> She's on Facebook now.

Ahh familiar story.

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/