Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Making Yogurt at home?

On 7/26/2013 1:33 PM, Christine Dabney wrote:
> Heya all,
>
> I am getting interested in making my own yogurt. I know some of you
> do or did make your own. I am eventually getting a yogurt maker, but
> until I get one in my hot little hands, I would like to make some the
> old fashioned way-by hand. I have been reading about the benefits of
> yogurts with live cultures, especially upon gut health, and I am sold.
> Plus I do like a good yogurt.
>
> Anyone make their own?

I used to, when the kids were little. I've been thinking about doing it
again, and looking into yoghurt makers - but the single induction plate
I bought yesterday has directions for using it to make yoghurt...

I think I'll be trying that.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"S Viemeister" > wrote in message
> On 7/26/2013 1:33 PM, Christine Dabney wrote:
>> Heya all,
>>
>> I am getting interested in making my own yogurt. I know some of you
>> do or did make your own. I am eventually getting a yogurt maker, but
>> until I get one in my hot little hands, I would like to make some the
>> old fashioned way-by hand. I have been reading about the benefits of
>> yogurts with live cultures, especially upon gut health, and I am sold.
>> Plus I do like a good yogurt.
>>
>> Anyone make their own?
>>

> I used to, when the kids were little. I've been thinking about doing it
> again, and looking into yoghurt makers - but the single induction plate I
> bought yesterday has directions for using it to make yoghurt...
>
> I think I'll be trying that.

I had planned to make mine today when (the best made plans of mice and men)
family arrived !! lol Anyway the lasagna came in very handy!
Not complaining. It's nice that they can just drop in, but when they are
coming all the way up from England ... Well there was only the food to
worry about and that was sorted! Do you think I might have had a
premonition??

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/27/2013 12:07 PM, Ophelia wrote:

> I had planned to make mine today when (the best made plans of mice and
> men) family arrived !! lol Anyway the lasagna came in very handy!
> Not complaining. It's nice that they can just drop in, but when they
> are coming all the way up from England ... Well there was only the
> food to worry about and that was sorted! Do you think I might have had a
> premonition??

I wouldn't be at all surprised!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"S Viemeister" > wrote in message
> On 7/27/2013 12:07 PM, Ophelia wrote:
>
>> I had planned to make mine today when (the best made plans of mice and
>> men) family arrived !! lol Anyway the lasagna came in very handy!
>> Not complaining. It's nice that they can just drop in, but when they
>> are coming all the way up from England ... Well there was only the
>> food to worry about and that was sorted! Do you think I might have had a
>> premonition??
>>

> I wouldn't be at all surprised!

) oh and that would be best laid ...

Apparently they just fancied giving us a surprise Well they did that
alright It would be better if they were here for longer but they need
to be back for work on Wednesday. Oh well, better than nowt Now, what to
make for dinner tomorrow ... ideas anyone? )

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/27/2013 2:05 PM, Ophelia wrote:

> "S Viemeister" > wrote in message
>> On 7/27/2013 12:07 PM, Ophelia wrote:
>>
>>> I had planned to make mine today when (the best made plans of mice and
>>> men) family arrived !! lol Anyway the lasagna came in very handy!
>>> Not complaining. It's nice that they can just drop in, but when they
>>> are coming all the way up from England ... Well there was only the
>>> food to worry about and that was sorted! Do you think I might have had a
>>> premonition??
>>>

>> I wouldn't be at all surprised!

> ) oh and that would be best laid ...
>
> Apparently they just fancied giving us a surprise Well they did that
> alright It would be better if they were here for longer but they need
> to be back for work on Wednesday. Oh well, better than nowt Now,
> what to
> make for dinner tomorrow ... ideas anyone? )

Whirled peas?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/27/2013 4:05 PM, Ophelia wrote:

> Apparently they just fancied giving us a surprise Well they did that
> alright It would be better if they were here for longer but they need
> to be back for work on Wednesday. Oh well, better than nowt Now,
> what to
> make for dinner tomorrow ... ideas anyone? )

I'm not cooking tomorrow - we'll be at a wine-tasting, and then having
dinner at the winery.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"S Viemeister" > wrote in message
> On 7/27/2013 4:05 PM, Ophelia wrote:
>
>> Apparently they just fancied giving us a surprise Well they did that
>> alright It would be better if they were here for longer but they
>> need
>> to be back for work on Wednesday. Oh well, better than nowt Now,
>> what to
>> make for dinner tomorrow ... ideas anyone? )
>>

> I'm not cooking tomorrow - we'll be at a wine-tasting, and then having
> dinner at the winery.

Ooooh you spoilt thing ))) Enjoy Report back?

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, July 27, 2013 4:05:57 PM UTC-4, Ophelia wrote:

> ) oh and that would be best laid ...

I was just going to take YOU, a SCOT, to task on that.: )) OK, Burns, you can stop the rollover.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kalmia" > wrote in message
> On Saturday, July 27, 2013 4:05:57 PM UTC-4, Ophelia wrote:
>> >>

>> ) oh and that would be best laid ...

> I was just going to take YOU, a SCOT, to task on that.: )) OK, Burns, you
> can stop the rollover.

lol too late) btw I am not a Scot) Himself is and I am of Scottish
extraction but I am a Yorkshire lass, resident in Scotland for many years)

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, July 27, 2013 1:05:57 PM UTC-7, Ophelia wrote:

> Apparently they just fancied giving us a surprise Well they did that
> alright It would be better if they were here for longer but they need
> to be back for work on Wednesday. Oh well, better than nowt Now, what to
> make for dinner tomorrow ... ideas anyone? )

I hate to cook in front of company -- does your grocer sell roast chickens? Make a tossed green salad, and buy or make some sort of starch.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Saturday, July 27, 2013 1:05:57 PM UTC-7, Ophelia wrote:
>

>> Apparently they just fancied giving us a surprise Well they did that
>> alright It would be better if they were here for longer but they
>> need
>> to be back for work on Wednesday. Oh well, better than nowt Now, what
>> make for dinner tomorrow ... ideas anyone? )
>>

> I hate to cook in front of company -- does your grocer sell roast
> chickens? Make a tossed green salad, and buy or make some sort of starch.

Oh I am sorry you hate to cook That is a shame. I love to cook.
Anyway, they aren't company, they are family so I expect that helps

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, July 28, 2013 9:15:26 AM UTC-7, Ophelia wrote:
> > wrote in message

> > On Saturday, July 27, 2013 1:05:57 PM UTC-7, Ophelia wrote:

> >> Apparently they just fancied giving us a surprise Well they did that

> >> alright It would be better if they were here for longer but they

> >> need

> >> to be back for work on Wednesday. Oh well, better than nowt Now, what

> >> make for dinner tomorrow ... ideas anyone? )

> > I hate to cook in front of company -- does your grocer sell roast

> > chickens? Make a tossed green salad, and buy or make some sort of starch.

> Oh I am sorry you hate to cook That is a shame. I love to cook.
>
> Anyway, they aren't company, they are family so I expect that helps

No, I would rather sit and visit with them. I like to have the cooking out of
the way before visitors come. I get distracted, they offer to help, I have no
idea how to put them to work, and so on.

But, if they're family not company, can you effectively put them to work in the
kitchen? If cooking is a joint pastime, not just visitors watching you work,
it could be great.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message

> No, I would rather sit and visit with them. I like to have the cooking out
> of
> the way before visitors come. I get distracted, they offer to help, I have
> no
> idea how to put them to work, and so on.
>
> But, if they're family not company, can you effectively put them to work
> in the
> kitchen? If cooking is a joint pastime, not just visitors watching you
> work,
> it could be great.

Not only would they help they would take all the work off me completely if I
allowed) At them moment it is just one son and his wife but at Christmas
when all the family were home, I was given the job of overseeing while they
did all the work As I said, they are not just visitors, they are family)
If
we rarely saw or spoke them it might be different, but we see them fairly
often and speak regularly so it isn't a rare meeting we are talking about.
We don't actually have a lot of catching up to do, it is just lovely to have
them around. I love to cook for them and from what they say, they love my
cooking) They help out with the meal in various ways but I prefer to cook
it myself.

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Ophelia" > wrote:

> "Kalmia" > wrote in message
> > On Saturday, July 27, 2013 4:05:57 PM UTC-4, Ophelia wrote:
> >> >>

> >> ) oh and that would be best laid ...

> > I was just going to take YOU, a SCOT, to task on that.: )) OK, Burns, you
> > can stop the rollover.

> lol too late) btw I am not a Scot) Himself is and I am of Scottish
> extraction but I am a Yorkshire lass,

Equally unintelligible.

> resident in Scotland for many years)

You hit the exacta.

--
Michael Press
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Sun, 28 Jul 2013 18:05:05 +0100, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>

>>Not only would they help they would take all the work off me completely if
>>allowed) At them moment it is just one son and his wife but at
>>Christmas
>>when all the family were home, I was given the job of overseeing while
>>they
>>did all the work As I said, they are not just visitors, they are
>>family)
>>If
>>we rarely saw or spoke them it might be different, but we see them fairly
>>often and speak regularly so it isn't a rare meeting we are talking about.
>>We don't actually have a lot of catching up to do, it is just lovely to
>>have
>>them around. I love to cook for them and from what they say, they love my
>>cooking) They help out with the meal in various ways but I prefer to
>>cook
>>it myself.
>>
>>--

> I like to do all the prep ahead of time as my kitchen is small and my
> kids know that once the meal is served, they clear dishes to
> dishwasher etc so the balance of the work is done for me. I like it
> that way.

Well, when they sneak up on me like that ... I didn't know they were coming
.... A couple of visits ago they came while we were out. They settled
themselves in and them called to see where we were. They had a nice dinner
cooking when we got back

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Mon, 29 Jul 2013 09:42:03 +0100, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>

> wrote in message
. ..
>>> On Sun, 28 Jul 2013 18:05:05 +0100, "Ophelia"

>>> I like to do all the prep ahead of time as my kitchen is small and my
>>> kids know that once the meal is served, they clear dishes to
>>> dishwasher etc so the balance of the work is done for me. I like it
>>> that way.

>>Well, when they sneak up on me like that ... I didn't know they were
>>coming
>>... A couple of visits ago they came while we were out. They settled
>>themselves in and them called to see where we were. They had a nice
>>dinner
>>cooking when we got back
>>
>>--

> Wouldn't mind that either, but I don't care for help in the kitchen
> when the meal is planned.

Oh yes, same here.

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 29 Jul 2013 09:42:03 +0100, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

> Well, when they sneak up on me like that ... I didn't know they were coming
> ... A couple of visits ago they came while we were out. They settled
> themselves in and them called to see where we were. They had a nice dinner
> cooking when we got back

I love that! My kids come here even when we're away on vacation.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 29 Jul 2013 09:42:03 +0100, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>
>> Well, when they sneak up on me like that ... I didn't know they were
>> coming
>> ... A couple of visits ago they came while we were out. They settled
>> themselves in and them called to see where we were. They had a nice
>> dinner
>> cooking when we got back

> I love that! My kids come here even when we're away on vacation.

I guess wherever we live, it will always be home for them, even if they have
never lived here))) Whenever we move, we have to get copies of house keys
for them all ) I keep saying I ought to charge them ..

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 29 Jul 2013 16:02:20 +0100, "Ophelia"
> wrote:
>

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Mon, 29 Jul 2013 09:42:03 +0100, "Ophelia"
> > > wrote:
> >
> >> Well, when they sneak up on me like that ... I didn't know they were
> >> coming
> >> ... A couple of visits ago they came while we were out. They settled
> >> themselves in and them called to see where we were. They had a nice
> >> dinner
> >> cooking when we got back

> > I love that! My kids come here even when we're away on vacation.

> I guess wherever we live, it will always be home for them, even if they have
> never lived here))) Whenever we move, we have to get copies of house keys
> for them all ) I keep saying I ought to charge them ..

We, obviously don't move as often as you do (we have never moved), so
our kids have rekeyed their doors to our key. That way, they just
carry one key and it works whenever they need to let themselves in
somewhere.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 29 Jul 2013 16:02:20 +0100, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>>

>> "sf" > wrote in message
>> > On Mon, 29 Jul 2013 09:42:03 +0100, "Ophelia"

>> > I love that! My kids come here even when we're away on vacation.

>> I guess wherever we live, it will always be home for them, even if they
>> have
>> never lived here))) Whenever we move, we have to get copies of house
>> keys
>> for them all ) I keep saying I ought to charge them ..
>>

> We, obviously don't move as often as you do (we have never moved), so
> our kids have rekeyed their doors to our key. That way, they just
> carry one key and it works whenever they need to let themselves in
> somewhere.

That would be much cheaper but it isn't going to happen
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, July 28, 2013 10:05:05 AM UTC-7, Ophelia wrote:

> Not only would they help they would take all the work off me completely if I
> allowed) At them moment it is just one son and his wife but at Christmas
> when all the family were home, I was given the job of overseeing while they
> did all the work As I said, they are not just visitors, they are family)
>
> If
> we rarely saw or spoke them it might be different, but we see them fairly
> often and speak regularly so it isn't a rare meeting we are talking about.
> We don't actually have a lot of catching up to do, it is just lovely to have
> them around. I love to cook for them and from what they say, they love my
> cooking) They help out with the meal in various ways but I prefer to cook
> it myself.

Ah, your children are certainly used to your habits while cooking for them. And you obviously feel no pressure to keep them "entertained."
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Sunday, July 28, 2013 10:05:05 AM UTC-7, Ophelia wrote:
>

>> Not only would they help they would take all the work off me completely
>> if I
>> allowed) At them moment it is just one son and his wife but at
>> Christmas
>> when all the family were home, I was given the job of overseeing while
>> they
>> did all the work As I said, they are not just visitors, they are
>> family)
>>
>> If
>> we rarely saw or spoke them it might be different, but we see them fairly
>> often and speak regularly so it isn't a rare meeting we are talking
>> about.
>> We don't actually have a lot of catching up to do, it is just lovely to
>> have
>> them around. I love to cook for them and from what they say, they love
>> my
>> cooking) They help out with the meal in various ways but I prefer to
>> cook
>> it myself.
>>

> Ah, your children are certainly used to your habits while cooking for
> them. And you obviously feel no pressure to keep them "entertained."

Yes, that is what makes the difference. If it were anyone else, I would
feel the same as you.

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/