Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default REC: Cool summer salad

I was on the hunt for somthing different for a summer salad and ran
across this. It's cool, crisp, a bit spicy and herbacious.
I just might live on this during the summer.

Here's how I made it.

http://www.kokoscornerblog.com/mycor...ed-salad-.html

or
http://tinyurl.com/kz2j5ze

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Israeli Chopped Salad

salads/salad dressings

1/4 cup cilantro; minced
1/4 cup mint; minced
1/4 cup parsley; minced
2 teaspoons sumac
1 teaspoon Cinnamon
1/2 cup olive oil
6 scallions; thinly sliced
4 cloves garlic; finely minced
4 medium tomatoes, cored, seeded; minced
3 medium cucumbers; seeded, minced
2 serrano chili, stemmed, seeded; minced
1 red bell pepper. stemmed, seeded; minced
1 large white onion,; minced
3 lemons, juiced and zested
salt
freshly ground black pepper; to taste

Mix all ingredients in a bowl. Let sit 20 minutes before serving.

Notes: Janna Gur The Book of New Israeli Food

koko
James Beard

www.kokoscornerblog.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 01 Jun 2013 11:38:17 -0700, wrote:

>I was on the hunt for somthing different for a summer salad and ran
>across this. It's cool, crisp, a bit spicy and herbacious.
>I just might live on this during the summer.
>
>Here's how I made it.

http://www.kokoscornerblog.com/mycor...ed-salad-.html

>or
>http://tinyurl.com/kz2j5ze
>

>@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format
>
>Israeli Chopped Salad
>
>salads/salad dressings
>
>1/4 cup cilantro; minced
>1/4 cup mint; minced
>1/4 cup parsley; minced
>2 teaspoons sumac
>1 teaspoon Cinnamon
>1/2 cup olive oil
>6 scallions; thinly sliced
>4 cloves garlic; finely minced
>4 medium tomatoes, cored, seeded; minced
>3 medium cucumbers; seeded, minced
>2 serrano chili, stemmed, seeded; minced
>1 red bell pepper. stemmed, seeded; minced
>1 large white onion,; minced
>3 lemons, juiced and zested
> salt
> freshly ground black pepper; to taste
>
>Mix all ingredients in a bowl. Let sit 20 minutes before serving.
>
>Notes: Janna Gur The Book of New Israeli Food
>

>** Exported from Now You're Cooking! v5.87 **
>
>koko

I'll try this, it does sound good. I'm going to have to cut the mint
back to almost nothing because I just don't care for mint greens.
Otherwise, it is an intriguing combination of flavors for raw veggies.
Thanks for the recipe.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-06-01, Janet Bostwick > wrote:

>>1/2 cup olive oil

> I'll try this, it does sound good.

Yes, it does. Sound like a typical delightful Med salad. But, ye gads! Half a
cup of OO!? Is that a typo?

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1 Jun 2013 19:57:44 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>On 2013-06-01, Janet Bostwick > wrote:
>
>>>1/2 cup olive oil

>> I'll try this, it does sound good.

>Yes, it does. Sound like a typical delightful Med salad. But, ye gads! Half a
>cup of OO!? Is that a typo?

?? seems about right to me-
>4 medium tomatoes, cored, seeded; minced
>3 medium cucumbers; seeded, minced
>2 serrano chili, stemmed, seeded; minced
>1 red bell pepper. stemmed, seeded; minced
>1 large white onion,; minced
>3 lemons, juiced and zested

Looks like an 8-10 serving salad. 1T oil per serving.

I just did a similarly sized watermelon and barley salad and was
surprised it only had 1/2 C oil.

I think Koko will let you live if you choose to use less oil, though.
She's nice like that. <g>

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 01 Jun 2013 11:38:17 -0700, wrote:

> I was on the hunt for somthing different for a summer salad and ran
> across this. It's cool, crisp, a bit spicy and herbacious.
> I just might live on this during the summer.
>
> Here's how I made it.

http://www.kokoscornerblog.com/mycor...ed-salad-.html

> or
> http://tinyurl.com/kz2j5ze
>

> @@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format
>
> Israeli Chopped Salad

Thanks, this looks like a fancier version of a chopped salad I was
looking at this morning.
http://mideastfood.about.com/od/iran...irazi.htm?nl=1
Maybe I'll use za'atar (because I have it) in place of the sumac and
mint (which I don't have).

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 01 Jun 2013 16:11:26 -0400, Jim Elbrecht >
wrote:

> I think Koko will let you live if you choose to use less oil, though.
> She's nice like that. <g>

It always surprises me when people demonstrate they have no ability to
use their own judgment.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1 Jun 2013 19:57:44 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>On 2013-06-01, Janet Bostwick > wrote:
>
>>>1/2 cup olive oil

>> I'll try this, it does sound good.

>Yes, it does. Sound like a typical delightful Med salad. But, ye gads! Half a
>cup of OO!? Is that a typo?
>
>nb

Nope, that's right, and no, it's not too much; well, for my taste, but
but I don't need to tell you to use what pleases you.

koko
James Beard

www.kokoscornerblog.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>> I'll try this, it does sound good.

>>Yes, it does. Sound like a typical delightful Med salad. But, ye gads! Half a
>>cup of OO!? Is that a typo?

>?? seems about right to me-
>>4 medium tomatoes, cored, seeded; minced
>>3 medium cucumbers; seeded, minced
>>2 serrano chili, stemmed, seeded; minced
>>1 red bell pepper. stemmed, seeded; minced
>>1 large white onion,; minced
>>3 lemons, juiced and zested

>Looks like an 8-10 serving salad. 1T oil per serving.
>
>I just did a similarly sized watermelon and barley salad and was
>surprised it only had 1/2 C oil.
>
>I think Koko will let you live if you choose to use less oil, though.
>She's nice like that. <g>
>
>Jim

LOl, thanks Jim.
I'm not in an "off with his head" mood very often ;-)

koko
James Beard

www.kokoscornerblog.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 01 Jun 2013 11:38:17 -0700 in rec.food.cooking,
wrote,
>@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format
>
>Israeli Chopped Salad
>
>salads/salad dressings
>
>1/4 cup cilantro; minced

Well, that's a loser. *next*
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 02 Jun 2013 16:32:53 -0700, David Harmon >
wrote:

>On Sat, 01 Jun 2013 11:38:17 -0700 in rec.food.cooking,
wrote,
>>@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format
>>
>>Israeli Chopped Salad
>>
>>salads/salad dressings
>>
>>1/4 cup cilantro; minced

>Well, that's a loser. *next*

So use parsley if you like the rest of the recipe but have the same
cilantro-hating gene that I do.

I interchange cilantro, watercress, parsley depending on my mood or
availability.

Jim