Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default A bad week for bridges

Since the thread about the Skagit River bridge was in the news.... how
about that one in Missouri. A couple trains collided and one of the
derailed cars struck a bridge and wiped it out.

That one I can understand.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> Since the thread about the Skagit River bridge was in the news.... how
> about that one in Missouri. A couple trains collided and one of the
> derailed cars struck a bridge and wiped it out.
>
> That one I can understand.

well, except for the collision part.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> Since the thread about the Skagit River bridge was in the news.... how
> about that one in Missouri. A couple trains collided and one of the
> derailed cars struck a bridge and wiped it out.
>
> That one I can understand.

Clearly the free school lunch program?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 26 May 2013 15:23:15 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>Since the thread about the Skagit River bridge was in the news.... how
>about that one in Missouri. A couple trains collided and one of the
>derailed cars struck a bridge and wiped it out.

Bad week for trains, too-- a couple trains on adjacent tracks bumped
each other and derailed in CT. 70 or so injured- but again no
deaths.

I think we should take the engineers that are designing the insides of
trains and airplanes and have them check the bridges.

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Dave Smith > wrote:

> Since the thread about the Skagit River bridge was in the news.... how
> about that one in Missouri. A couple trains collided and one of the
> derailed cars struck a bridge and wiped it out.
>
> That one I can understand.

The Interstate 5 Skagit River bridge collapse is causing a world of hurt
to travelers and commerce in the Northwest. The detours are over mostly
farm to market 2-lane roads. I guess the SO and I won't go to Vancouver
or Spuzzum (our favorite non-destination in BC) for a while.

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller

Delete the obvious to email me

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Fuller wrote:
> In article >,
> Dave Smith > wrote:
>
>> Since the thread about the Skagit River bridge was in the news.... how
>> about that one in Missouri. A couple trains collided and one of the
>> derailed cars struck a bridge and wiped it out.
>>
>> That one I can understand.

> The Interstate 5 Skagit River bridge collapse is causing a world of hurt
> to travelers and commerce in the Northwest. The detours are over mostly
> farm to market 2-lane roads. I guess the SO and I won't go to Vancouver
> or Spuzzum (our favorite non-destination in BC) for a while.
>
> Cindy

I went this weekend - steered very wide of backups and took 9 for too long
on the way up but it was scenic and a nice unplanned diversion. Return
trip southbound exited at Cook Rd, then headed south again at Highway 9
to Francis Rd which gently ambles until its final 90 degree turn placing
you at College Way about a mile east of I-5. Country roads ... take me
home. The polar opposite of driving in the city.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"tert in seattle" > wrote in message
> Cindy Fuller wrote:
>> In article >,
>> Dave Smith > wrote:
>>
>>> Since the thread about the Skagit River bridge was in the news.... how
>>> about that one in Missouri. A couple trains collided and one of the
>>> derailed cars struck a bridge and wiped it out.
>>>
>>> That one I can understand.

>> The Interstate 5 Skagit River bridge collapse is causing a world of hurt
>> to travelers and commerce in the Northwest. The detours are over mostly
>> farm to market 2-lane roads. I guess the SO and I won't go to Vancouver
>> or Spuzzum (our favorite non-destination in BC) for a while.
>>
>> Cindy

> I went this weekend - steered very wide of backups and took 9 for too long
> on the way up but it was scenic and a nice unplanned diversion. Return
> trip southbound exited at Cook Rd, then headed south again at Highway 9
> to Francis Rd which gently ambles until its final 90 degree turn placing
> you at College Way about a mile east of I-5. Country roads ... take me
> home. The polar opposite of driving in the city.

I'm glad that 9 is not messed up by me at the moment. It was pretty bad for
a while. I had to drive it in the dark and there was no telling where my
lane might be on any given day. But I know they're not done so it will get
bad again.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 27 May 2013 10:33:47 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>That was the State of Washington's fault. Screw any fine print
>disclaimers. If you're paying for a permit then it's their job to
>know those things and deny the permit if the load won't fit. It's not
>the truck driver's responsibility to stop and get out of the truck
>with a ladder and measure every underhang before they proceed.
>
>-sw

Around here, with oversize in height I always see a pilot car with a
fiberglass pole the height of the load. If that hits, they stop.
Saves a lot of bridges that way.

I also see competent drivers stop and go slowly if they think there
may be a problem.

Regardless of who you want to assign the blame to, it was preventable
in various ways.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 27, 11:51*am, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
> On Mon, 27 May 2013 10:33:47 -0500, Sqwertz >
> wrote:
>
> >That was the State of Washington's fault. *Screw any fine print
> >disclaimers. *If you're paying for a permit then it's their job to
> >know those things and deny the permit if the load won't fit. *It's not
> >the truck driver's responsibility to stop and get out of the truck
> >with a ladder and measure every underhang before they proceed.

> >-sw

> Around here, with oversize in height I always see a pilot car with a
> fiberglass pole the height of the load. *If that hits, they stop.
> Saves a lot of bridges that way.
>
> I also see competent drivers stop and go slowly if they think there
> may be a problem.
>
> Regardless of who you want to assign the blame to, it was preventable
> in various ways.

Definitely could have been avoided.
About 6 weeks ago, the kid & I were just getting out of the car in the
parking lot of the grocery store we usually go to. It is right next to
the highway (WA 16). We heard a really loud sound and saw a dust
cloud- it turned out to be an oversized load that hit the bottom of an
overpass. It took a big chunk out! I would think the company who is
handling the transport would be responsible for doing their homework
well before they move anything.