Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Bridges across the nation

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3333649.html
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/25/2013 11:34 AM, Janet Bostwick wrote:

> http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3333649.html

There are two main bridges to cross to get off this string of sea
islands. No trucks cross under them, I'm talking boat traffic. One of
the two bridges to the mainland is an old swing bridge (The McTeer). It
breaks down frequently. It really needs to be replaced. Otherwise
there is only one bridge and I doubt anyone would get very far.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 25 May 2013 09:34:30 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:

>http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3333649.html

Nothing new here. Many bridges are deficient. There was even a
series about out corroding and eroding infrastructure on TV a couple
of years ago on History Channel. One of the main culprits is our
governors stealing from the road tax accounts to balance the budget to
pay for other things.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 25/05/2013 12:31 PM, jmcquown wrote:

> There are two main bridges to cross to get off this string of sea
> islands. No trucks cross under them, I'm talking boat traffic. One of
> the two bridges to the mainland is an old swing bridge (The McTeer). It
> breaks down frequently. It really needs to be replaced. Otherwise
> there is only one bridge and I doubt anyone would get very far.

This incident happened to a bride in the next down. Somebody dropped the
ball on this one, or more accurately, the bridge. It is a lift bridge
over the Welland Canal, and the (former) bridge operator lowered it
before the boat was clear.

Note that this is a lift bride and it was stuck by the superstructure of
the lake freighter, basically a four store steel structure. The impact
tore the superstucture off the ship and there was damage to the bridge.
It did not collapse. Compare that to a relatively flimsy open sided
fabrication that was barely damaged by the impact with the bridge, but
the bridge collapsed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INxDOT2ZYl0

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 25 May 2013 14:15:05 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On Sat, 25 May 2013 09:34:30 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:
>

>>http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3333649.html

>Nothing new here. Many bridges are deficient. There was even a
>series about out corroding and eroding infrastructure on TV a couple
>of years ago on History Channel. One of the main culprits is our
>governors stealing from the road tax accounts to balance the budget to
>pay for other things.

I never intended it to be new info, just info for folks to read to
catch up on the facts.
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 25 May 2013 14:54:30 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> Note that this is a lift bride and it was stuck by the superstructure of
> the lake freighter, basically a four store steel structure. The impact
> tore the superstucture off the ship and there was damage to the bridge.
> It did not collapse. Compare that to a relatively flimsy open sided
> fabrication that was barely damaged by the impact with the bridge, but
> the bridge collapsed.

The Bay Bridge has been hit by tankers more than once but it's still
standing.
http://www.sfexaminer.com/local/2013...g-license-loss

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 25/05/2013 3:30 PM, sf wrote:
> On Sat, 25 May 2013 14:54:30 -0400, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
>
>> Note that this is a lift bride and it was stuck by the superstructure of
>> the lake freighter, basically a four store steel structure. The impact
>> tore the superstucture off the ship and there was damage to the bridge.
>> It did not collapse. Compare that to a relatively flimsy open sided
>> fabrication that was barely damaged by the impact with the bridge, but
>> the bridge collapsed.

> The Bay Bridge has been hit by tankers more than once but it's still
> standing.
> http://www.sfexaminer.com/local/2013...g-license-loss

And the Empire State Building was struck by a B25 bomber. It did a lot
of damage but did not affect the structural integrity of the building.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> On Sat, 25 May 2013 14:54:30 -0400, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
>
> > Note that this is a lift bride and it was stuck by the superstructure of
> > the lake freighter, basically a four store steel structure. The impact
> > tore the superstucture off the ship and there was damage to the bridge.
> > It did not collapse. Compare that to a relatively flimsy open sided
> > fabrication that was barely damaged by the impact with the bridge, but
> > the bridge collapsed.

> The Bay Bridge has been hit by tankers more than once but it's still
> standing.
> http://www.sfexaminer.com/local/2013...g-license-loss

Modern bridges are designed with significant redundancy, they can loose
via crashes, rust, or whatever a significant number of pieces and still
remain structurally sound.

The Washington bridge was clearly built without redundancy (easily seen
in the pictures to anyone with any structural expertise), so that when
it was struck and lost one or more of the members, it was a cascade
failure as the remaining members were over stressed, twisted off axis
and buckled and failed.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/25/2013 12:31 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 5/25/2013 11:34 AM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
>>
>> http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3333649.html
>>

> There are two main bridges to cross to get off this string of sea
> islands. No trucks cross under them, I'm talking boat traffic. One of
> the two bridges to the mainland is an old swing bridge (The McTeer). It
> breaks down frequently. It really needs to be replaced. Otherwise
> there is only one bridge and I doubt anyone would get very far.

The remainder of that last sentence should read "in the event of an
emergency". Damn, now I'm starting to worry about bridges.

Jill
Senior Member

Location: Foat Wuth

The only thing most rational folks could agree upon is Ariana Huffitngton and her commie liberal cyber rag crew of a news source...is no doubt being funded by George Soros. The Fench Revolution is coming to these shores sooner than later. Do not insist the great unwashed masses should eat cake? Thats real antagonistic.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 25, 12:30*pm, sf > wrote:
> On Sat, 25 May 2013 14:54:30 -0400, Dave Smith
>
> > wrote:
> > Note that this is a lift bride and it was stuck by the superstructure of
> > the lake freighter, basically a four store steel structure. The impact
> > tore the superstucture off the ship and there was damage to the bridge.
> > It did not collapse. *Compare that to a relatively flimsy open sided
> > fabrication that was barely damaged by the impact with the bridge, but
> > the bridge collapsed.

> The Bay Bridge has been hit by tankers more than once but it's still
> standing.http://www.sfexaminer.com/local/2013...bridge-hit-fac...
>
> --
> Food is an important part of a balanced diet.

The Bay Bridge is considerably bigger and newer than the Skagit River
bridge...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
> On Sat, 25 May 2013 09:34:30 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> > wrote:
>

>> http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3333649.html

> Nothing new here. Many bridges are deficient. There was even a
> series about out corroding and eroding infrastructure on TV a couple
> of years ago on History Channel. One of the main culprits is our
> governors stealing from the road tax accounts to balance the budget to
> pay for other things.

We got salt and 466 bridges. Pittsburgh. Something to worry about.

Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 25/05/2013 10:21 PM, gregz wrote:

>> Nothing new here. Many bridges are deficient. There was even a
>> series about out corroding and eroding infrastructure on TV a couple
>> of years ago on History Channel. One of the main culprits is our
>> governors stealing from the road tax accounts to balance the budget to
>> pay for other things.

> We got salt and 466 bridges. Pittsburgh. Something to worry about.

Salt is a bridge killer. The salt seeps down through the surface and
gets to the re-bars and they start to corrode. That makes then expand
and the concrete starts to crumble. For about 30 years now Ontario has
been using cathodic protection to arrest corrosion. Now they are
experimenting with anode protection and expect dramatic improvements in
bridge rehabilitation.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 26 May 2013 02:38:17 +0100, bigwheel
> wrote:

>Janet Bostwick;1836629 Wrote:
>> 'Bridge Collapses And Structurally Deficient Bridges Across The Country
>> (INFOGRAPHIC)' (http://tinyurl.com/ougxwec)

>The only thing most rational folks could agree upon is Ariana
>Huffitngton and her commie liberal cyber rag crew of a news source...is
>no doubt being funded by George Soros. The Fench Revolution is coming to
>these shores sooner than later. Do not insist the great unwashed masses
>should eat cake? Thats real antagonistic.

I'm sure you think you make sense. You should have read all the way
to the bottom to check the sources for the article.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 25 May 2013 18:42:02 -0700 (PDT), merryb >
wrote:

> On May 25, 12:30*pm, sf > wrote:
> > On Sat, 25 May 2013 14:54:30 -0400, Dave Smith
> >
> > > wrote:
> > > Note that this is a lift bride and it was stuck by the superstructure of
> > > the lake freighter, basically a four store steel structure. The impact
> > > tore the superstucture off the ship and there was damage to the bridge.
> > > It did not collapse. *Compare that to a relatively flimsy open sided
> > > fabrication that was barely damaged by the impact with the bridge, but
> > > the bridge collapsed.

> > The Bay Bridge has been hit by tankers more than once but it's still
> > standing.http://www.sfexaminer.com/local/2013...bridge-hit-fac...
> >

> The Bay Bridge is considerably bigger and newer than the Skagit River
> bridge...

Really... how did you figure that out? According to what I read, the
Bay bridge was built in 1933 and the Skagit River bridge was built in
1955.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 25/05/2013 9:42 PM, merryb wrote:

> The Bay Bridge is considerably bigger and newer than the Skagit River
> bridge...

A tanker is a hell of a lot bigger than a part for an oil rig fabricated
from corrigated sheet steel. Look the little bit of damage that was
inflicted on that rig structure ..... and a bridge constructed of much
thicker steel construction beams collapsed????