Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Baking Bread with my Class

We study heat each year, so as a culminating activity to demonstrate
conduction, convection, insulators, and uses of heat, we made bread in my
bread machine Friday. We use the baking as a chance to discuss
measurement and elapsed time as well. I have never had a class as
excited as this one to bake and taste the bread. They looked forward to
it all week and enjoyed it so much.

Tara
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Apr 13, 3:29*pm, Tara > wrote:
> We study heat each year, so as a culminating activity to demonstrate
> conduction, convection, insulators, and uses of heat, we made bread in my
> bread machine Friday. *We use the baking as a chance to discuss
> measurement and elapsed time as well. *I have never had a class as
> excited as this one to bake and taste the bread. *They looked forward to
> it all week and enjoyed it so much.
>
> Tara

Lucky students. What a great idea !
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Tara" > wrote in message
> We study heat each year, so as a culminating activity to demonstrate
> conduction, convection, insulators, and uses of heat, we made bread in my
> bread machine Friday. We use the baking as a chance to discuss
> measurement and elapsed time as well. I have never had a class as
> excited as this one to bake and taste the bread. They looked forward to
> it all week and enjoyed it so much.
>
> Tara

I guess nobody cooks at home any more.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 13, 3:29*pm, Tara > wrote:
> We study heat each year, so as a culminating activity to demonstrate
> conduction, convection, insulators, and uses of heat, we made bread in my
> bread machine Friday. *We use the baking as a chance to discuss
> measurement and elapsed time as well. *I have never had a class as
> excited as this one to bake and taste the bread. *They looked forward to
> it all week and enjoyed it so much.
>
> Tara

You sound like a great teacher!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/13/2013 4:29 PM, Tara wrote:
> We study heat each year, so as a culminating activity to demonstrate
> conduction, convection, insulators, and uses of heat, we made bread in my
> bread machine Friday. We use the baking as a chance to discuss
> measurement and elapsed time as well. I have never had a class as
> excited as this one to bake and taste the bread. They looked forward to
> it all week and enjoyed it so much.
>
> Tara

It always amazed me how many students (young and old) didn't know the
origin or process of creating things like bread, cheese, pickles,
butter, etc.

When our son was about 3 years old we planted a lot of fruit trees in
the yard. We asked if there was any type of fruit he'd like us to grow.
With a very serious look on his face, he asked "Do potato chips grow on
trees?"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, 14 April 2013 08:29:04 UTC+10, Tara wrote:
> We study heat each year, so as a culminating activity to demonstrate
> conduction, convection, insulators, and uses of heat, we made bread in my
> bread machine Friday. We use the baking as a chance to discuss
> measurement and elapsed time as well. I have never had a class as
> excited as this one to bake and taste the bread. They looked forward to
> it all week and enjoyed it so much.

What year level? You have any handouts etc online?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"gloria p" > wrote in message
> On 4/13/2013 4:29 PM, Tara wrote:
>> We study heat each year, so as a culminating activity to demonstrate
>> conduction, convection, insulators, and uses of heat, we made bread in my
>> bread machine Friday. We use the baking as a chance to discuss
>> measurement and elapsed time as well. I have never had a class as
>> excited as this one to bake and taste the bread. They looked forward to
>> it all week and enjoyed it so much.
>>
>> Tara
>>

> It always amazed me how many students (young and old) didn't know the
> origin or process of creating things like bread, cheese, pickles, butter,
> etc.
>
> When our son was about 3 years old we planted a lot of fruit trees in the
> yard. We asked if there was any type of fruit he'd like us to grow.
> With a very serious look on his face, he asked "Do potato chips grow on
> trees?"

<g> There's a boy who knows what he likes

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
gloria p > wrote:

> On 4/13/2013 4:29 PM, Tara wrote:
> > We study heat each year, so as a culminating activity to demonstrate
> > conduction, convection, insulators, and uses of heat, we made bread in my
> > bread machine Friday. We use the baking as a chance to discuss
> > measurement and elapsed time as well. I have never had a class as
> > excited as this one to bake and taste the bread. They looked forward to
> > it all week and enjoyed it so much.
> >
> > Tara
> >

> It always amazed me how many students (young and old) didn't know the
> origin or process of creating things like bread, cheese, pickles,
> butter, etc.

Cooking or baking is a great (and reasonably priced) way to teach
chemistry and physics. All of the rules apply.

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller

Delete the obvious to email me
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Cindy Fuller > wrote:

> Cooking or baking is a great (and reasonably priced) way to teach
> chemistry and physics. All of the rules apply.

Certainly. If Cindy had studied physics, she wouldn't need those 500
cookbooks. Give me my classical and quantum mechanics texts, maybe a
tome or two on thermo and biochem, and I can derive all those recipes
from first principles.

--
Julian Vrieslander
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, 16 April 2013 09:56:14 UTC+10, Julian Vrieslander wrote:
> Cindy Fuller > wrote:
>
> > Cooking or baking is a great (and reasonably priced) way to teach
> > chemistry and physics. All of the rules apply.

> Certainly. If Cindy had studied physics, she wouldn't need those 500
> cookbooks. Give me my classical and quantum mechanics texts, maybe a
> tome or two on thermo and biochem, and I can derive all those recipes
> from first principles.

Now that I would like to see! I think that the thermo and chem is more central, and still one will miss the social and aesthetic component.

Still, there's lots of good education stuff in cooking. One of the best student assignments I saw last year was on cooking steaks: numerical solution of the time-dependent heat equation to predict optimum flipping times, and experiment test.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/13/2013 12:29 PM, Tara wrote:
> We study heat each year, so as a culminating activity to demonstrate
> conduction, convection, insulators, and uses of heat, we made bread in my
> bread machine Friday. We use the baking as a chance to discuss
> measurement and elapsed time as well. I have never had a class as
> excited as this one to bake and taste the bread. They looked forward to
> it all week and enjoyed it so much.
>
> Tara

My teacher once made butter from cream in Sunday school. I was about 8
and it left a great impression on me cause it's one of the few things
that I learned in school that I can still remember. It's funny, those
things that leaves it's mark on kids.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 15 Apr 2013 14:19:23 -1000, dsi1 wrote:

> My teacher once made butter from cream in Sunday school. I was about 8
> and it left a great impression on me cause it's one of the few things
> that I learned in school that I can still remember. It's funny, those
> things that leaves it's mark on kids.

I have made butter with previous classes. I had one little six year old
wild child who could churn butter like a machine. I truly hope these
experiences make some lasting memory for my kids.

Tara
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/15/2013 5:56 PM, Julian Vrieslander wrote:
> In article >,
> Cindy Fuller > wrote:
>
>> Cooking or baking is a great (and reasonably priced) way to teach
>> chemistry and physics. All of the rules apply.

> Certainly. If Cindy had studied physics, she wouldn't need those 500
> cookbooks. Give me my classical and quantum mechanics texts, maybe a
> tome or two on thermo and biochem, and I can derive all those recipes
> from first principles.

You will have cooked something but will it taste good?

gloria p

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/15/2013 3:25 PM, Tara wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Apr 2013 14:19:23 -1000, dsi1 wrote:
>
>> My teacher once made butter from cream in Sunday school. I was about 8
>> and it left a great impression on me cause it's one of the few things
>> that I learned in school that I can still remember. It's funny, those
>> things that leaves it's mark on kids.

> I have made butter with previous classes. I had one little six year old
> wild child who could churn butter like a machine. I truly hope these
> experiences make some lasting memory for my kids.
>
> Tara

Thanks for exposing these things to the kids. The idea that they can
make butter or bread at home can be a true a revelation to some of them.
It sure was for me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Tara > wrote:

> We study heat each year, so as a culminating activity to demonstrate
> conduction, convection, insulators, and uses of heat, we made bread in my
> bread machine Friday. We use the baking as a chance to discuss
> measurement and elapsed time as well. I have never had a class as
> excited as this one to bake and taste the bread. They looked forward to
> it all week and enjoyed it so much.
>
> Tara

Tara, your students are lucky to have you as their teacher. I hope
their parents recognize it.
--
Barb,
http://www.barbschaller.com, as of April 8, 2013.

Baking Bread Using A Bread Maker Jake Will N Baking 4 27-02-2010 12:21 AM
Baking Bread in the ECB! jj Barbecue 9 30-06-2009 07:13 AM
Sodium, chemistry class, and bread-making. Adam Funk[_2_] General Cooking 11 23-07-2008 07:52 PM
Bread and pastry 'hands-on' class at Chatsworth House Farm Shop Doug Weller General Cooking 0 31-10-2007 06:46 PM
bread class dan w Sourdough 2 16-01-2007 09:08 PM