Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Sorta OT

I need some help. My dog is on antibiotics; those huge gelatine
capsules. He can smell them. I have been successful for a couple of
days at a time embedding a capsule in peanut butter, canned refried
beans, cold mashed potatoes. Soon his greed no longer supercedes his
aversion to the capsule and it is a battle getting the capsule in to
him. What other canned food is out there that will tempt him and have
the same consistency as the aforementioned? I've got another week to
go on these capsules. I don't know much about canned stuff and the
only thing I can think of is spaghetti'os -- much too sloppy and
drippy to mould around a capsule. Help
Thanks
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
> I need some help. My dog is on antibiotics; those huge gelatine
> capsules. He can smell them. I have been successful for a couple of
> days at a time embedding a capsule in peanut butter, canned refried
> beans, cold mashed potatoes. Soon his greed no longer supercedes his
> aversion to the capsule and it is a battle getting the capsule in to
> him. What other canned food is out there that will tempt him and have
> the same consistency as the aforementioned? I've got another week to
> go on these capsules. I don't know much about canned stuff and the
> only thing I can think of is spaghetti'os -- much too sloppy and
> drippy to mould around a capsule. Help

Just how big is this thing? I had to give my dog some big stuff and had
the same problems you have, certainly she wouldn't take them in any food or
even treats ... so in the end, I held her mouth, popped in the capsule right
at the back and rubbed her throat. She just swallowed it. If only I'd
known before how easy that was!!! Depends of course just how big that thing
is. All I can say is, if that won't work, you could speak to your vet.

Good luck, Janet.
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Bostwick wrote:
> I need some help. My dog is on antibiotics; those huge gelatine
> capsules. He can smell them. I have been successful for a couple of
> days at a time embedding a capsule in peanut butter, canned refried
> beans, cold mashed potatoes. Soon his greed no longer supercedes his
> aversion to the capsule and it is a battle getting the capsule in to
> him. What other canned food is out there that will tempt him and have
> the same consistency as the aforementioned? I've got another week to
> go on these capsules. I don't know much about canned stuff and the
> only thing I can think of is spaghetti'os -- much too sloppy and
> drippy to mould around a capsule. Help
> Thanks
> Janet US

We have cats, not dogs but, when asked, our vet will give them a
long-release shot in the office rather than having us adminster
antibiotics by mouth daily. It's a whole lot easier. Not for this time
for you, of course, but might be worth asking about for the future.

Our vet also sells some sort of "treat" that's essentially a wrapper for
a pill or capsule - again, a thing to ask about or look for at a pet
supply store.

Last but not least, a few years back, we found that when one of the cats
wouldn't eat, buying the really expensive food that came in the little
cans worked for a while - again, cats, not dogs, but I imagine there is
similar out there for dogs, too.

Good luck to you.

-S-

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-04-12, Janet Bostwick > wrote:
> I need some help. My dog is on antibiotics; those huge gelatine
> capsules.

How big is yer dog?

Most dogs gulp and swallow, so hiding a capsule in another food
capsule, like a piece of hot dog, should do the trick, unless you have
a small/toy dog that can't gulp big chunks. You might try partially
cooked sausage links. Partial cooking gets the meat's aroma fully
emanating, enough to hide the smell of the med cap. Naturally, let
the meat cool, somewhat, so yer dog is not put off by meat too hot to
swallow.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 12 Apr 2013 16:27:48 +0100, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

>"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
.. .
>> I need some help. My dog is on antibiotics; those huge gelatine
>> capsules. He can smell them. I have been successful for a couple of
>> days at a time embedding a capsule in peanut butter, canned refried
>> beans, cold mashed potatoes. Soon his greed no longer supercedes his
>> aversion to the capsule and it is a battle getting the capsule in to
>> him. What other canned food is out there that will tempt him and have
>> the same consistency as the aforementioned? I've got another week to
>> go on these capsules. I don't know much about canned stuff and the
>> only thing I can think of is spaghetti'os -- much too sloppy and
>> drippy to mould around a capsule. Help

>Just how big is this thing? I had to give my dog some big stuff and had
>the same problems you have, certainly she wouldn't take them in any food or
>even treats ... so in the end, I held her mouth, popped in the capsule right
>at the back and rubbed her throat. She just swallowed it. If only I'd
>known before how easy that was!!! Depends of course just how big that thing
>is. All I can say is, if that won't work, you could speak to your vet.
>
> Good luck, Janet.
>--

the capsule is an inch long and 3/8 of an inch wide; the dog is 80
pounds and he can clamp his jaws d**n tight. No matter how far back I
pop that capsule, it comes back out like magic.
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/12/2013 10:16 AM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
> I need some help. My dog is on antibiotics; those huge gelatine
> capsules. He can smell them. I have been successful for a couple of
> days at a time embedding a capsule in peanut butter, canned refried
> beans, cold mashed potatoes. Soon his greed no longer supercedes his
> aversion to the capsule and it is a battle getting the capsule in to
> him. What other canned food is out there that will tempt him and have
> the same consistency as the aforementioned? I've got another week to
> go on these capsules. I don't know much about canned stuff and the
> only thing I can think of is spaghetti'os -- much too sloppy and
> drippy to mould around a capsule. Help
> Thanks
> Janet US

I had one dog who hated pills. We bought a chunk of liverwurst and
molded it around the capsule. The scent of the liverwurst overpowered
the pills and she never protested the liverwurst treat.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 12 Apr 2013 16:27:48 +0100, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
. ..
>>> I need some help. My dog is on antibiotics; those huge gelatine
>>> capsules. He can smell them. I have been successful for a couple of
>>> days at a time embedding a capsule in peanut butter, canned refried
>>> beans, cold mashed potatoes. Soon his greed no longer supercedes his
>>> aversion to the capsule and it is a battle getting the capsule in to
>>> him. What other canned food is out there that will tempt him and have
>>> the same consistency as the aforementioned? I've got another week to
>>> go on these capsules. I don't know much about canned stuff and the
>>> only thing I can think of is spaghetti'os -- much too sloppy and
>>> drippy to mould around a capsule. Help

>>Just how big is this thing? I had to give my dog some big stuff and had
>>the same problems you have, certainly she wouldn't take them in any food
>>or
>>even treats ... so in the end, I held her mouth, popped in the capsule
>>right
>>at the back and rubbed her throat. She just swallowed it. If only I'd
>>known before how easy that was!!! Depends of course just how big that
>>thing
>>is. All I can say is, if that won't work, you could speak to your vet.
>>
>> Good luck, Janet.
>>--

> the capsule is an inch long and 3/8 of an inch wide; the dog is 80
> pounds and he can clamp his jaws d**n tight. No matter how far back I
> pop that capsule, it comes back out like magic.

Yes it takes some managing I must confess. We used to prise open her jaws,
(with great difficulty) pop it in and then hold her jaws tight shut. Oh
yes, she used to fight and it always takes two of you (more if you have them
available) ... If it won't work, you need to ask your vet what s/he would
do. Maybe he can give you something a wee bit easier to give him I wish
vets would take stuff like this into consideration!
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
eb.com...
> On 4/12/2013 10:16 AM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
>> I need some help. My dog is on antibiotics; those huge gelatine
>> capsules. He can smell them. I have been successful for a couple of
>> days at a time embedding a capsule in peanut butter, canned refried
>> beans, cold mashed potatoes. Soon his greed no longer supercedes his
>> aversion to the capsule and it is a battle getting the capsule in to
>> him. What other canned food is out there that will tempt him and have
>> the same consistency as the aforementioned? I've got another week to
>> go on these capsules. I don't know much about canned stuff and the
>> only thing I can think of is spaghetti'os -- much too sloppy and
>> drippy to mould around a capsule. Help
>> Thanks
>> Janet US
>>

> I had one dog who hated pills. We bought a chunk of liverwurst and molded
> it around the capsule. The scent of the liverwurst overpowered the pills
> and she never protested the liverwurst treat.

Worth a try if it is as strong as you say, but my dog *always* knew,
whatever I tried. I have to say thought I never had any of that.

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/12/2013 11:16 AM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
> I need some help. My dog is on antibiotics; those huge gelatine
> capsules. He can smell them. I have been successful for a couple of
> days at a time embedding a capsule in peanut butter, canned refried
> beans, cold mashed potatoes. Soon his greed no longer supercedes his
> aversion to the capsule and it is a battle getting the capsule in to
> him. What other canned food is out there that will tempt him and have
> the same consistency as the aforementioned? I've got another week to
> go on these capsules. I don't know much about canned stuff and the
> only thing I can think of is spaghetti'os -- much too sloppy and
> drippy to mould around a capsule. Help
> Thanks
> Janet US

I really wish they wouldn't make pills so friggin huge (both for pets
*and* humans). When I had to give my dog pills (sorry, they weren't
gel-caps) I'd hide them in Velveeta and tuck them into his food. That
might work. He gobbled them right up.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/12/2013 11:32 AM, Steve Freides wrote:
> Our vet also sells some sort of "treat" that's essentially a wrapper for
> a pill or capsule - again, a thing to ask about or look for at a pet
> supply store.

Pill Pockets. But they're not made for huge size pills.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I hide pills in string cheese (cheese sticks). Just pull off a piece of approximate size and stuff the pill in, or use the cheese to wrap around the pill. I usually give the dog a piece or two of plain cheese first, then the third gets the pill. Works every time. When he realizes he likes the first couple of bites, he just gulps down the third without noticing the pill..
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Can't you open the capsule and mix the powder into wet food? Other than that, ask the vet if there is a liquid alternative.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
> I need some help. My dog is on antibiotics; those huge gelatine
> capsules. He can smell them. I have been successful for a couple of
> days at a time embedding a capsule in peanut butter, canned refried
> beans, cold mashed potatoes. Soon his greed no longer supercedes his
> aversion to the capsule and it is a battle getting the capsule in to
> him. What other canned food is out there that will tempt him and have
> the same consistency as the aforementioned? I've got another week to
> go on these capsules. I don't know much about canned stuff and the
> only thing I can think of is spaghetti'os -- much too sloppy and
> drippy to mould around a capsule. Help
> Thanks
> Janet US

When I've have questions about my dog, I have always found helpful posters
here. Of course there are some jerks, just like in every group, but there
are always the helpful ones too.

rec.pets.dogs.health

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/12/2013 11:51 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
>> On Fri, 12 Apr 2013 16:27:48 +0100, "Ophelia"
>> > wrote:

>>> Just how big is this thing? I had to give my dog some big stuff and
>>> had
>>> the same problems you have, certainly she wouldn't take them in any food
>>> or
>>> even treats ... so in the end, I held her mouth, popped in the capsule
>>> right
>>> at the back and rubbed her throat. She just swallowed it. If only I'd
>>> known before how easy that was!!! Depends of course just how big that
>>> thing
>>> is. All I can say is, if that won't work, you could speak to your vet.
>>>
>>> Good luck, Janet.
>>> --

>> the capsule is an inch long and 3/8 of an inch wide; the dog is 80
>> pounds and he can clamp his jaws d**n tight. No matter how far back I
>> pop that capsule, it comes back out like magic.

> Yes it takes some managing I must confess. We used to prise open her
> jaws, (with great difficulty) pop it in and then hold her jaws tight
> shut. Oh yes, she used to fight and it always takes two of you (more if
> you have them available) ... If it won't work, you need to ask your vet
> what s/he would do. Maybe he can give you something a wee bit easier to
> give him I wish vets would take stuff like this into consideration!

I don't know if it works with dogs but when I had to pill Persia (the
cat) in earlier years, I'd do what you described. Once you get the pill
in their mouth and clamp their jaw shut, if you blow gently on their
nose they swallow reflexively. This is assuming you can keep hold of
the animal long enough to do this.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 12, 8:16*am, Janet Bostwick > wrote:
> *I need some help. *My dog is on antibiotics; those huge gelatine
> capsules. *He can smell them. *I have been successful for a couple of
> days at a time embedding a capsule in peanut butter, canned refried
> beans, cold mashed potatoes. *Soon his greed no longer supercedes his
> aversion to the capsule and it is a battle getting the capsule in to
> him. *What other canned food is out there that will tempt him and have
> the same consistency as the aforementioned? *I've got another week to
> go on these capsules. *I don't know much about canned stuff and the
> only thing I can think of is spaghetti'os -- much too sloppy and
> drippy to mould around a capsule. *Help

Liverwurst usually does the trick. Or if you have a good feed store
nearby, the Red Barn salami-looking food is good.

But I just use firmness. Grab his muzzle so that his upper lips go
over his teeth, and set the capsule on the back of his tongue. Then
gently close his mouth, and stroke his throat till he swallows.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 12, 8:54*am, jmcquown > wrote:
> On 4/12/2013 11:32 AM, Steve Freides wrote:
>
> > Our vet also sells some sort of "treat" that's essentially a wrapper for
> > a pill or capsule - again, a thing to ask about or look for at a pet
> > supply store.

> Pill Pockets. *But they're not made for huge size pills.

Right! It's been a while since I had to use those. But I would buy the
big ones and just pinch off small bits to cover pills. The OP might
want to do the opposite: flatten a couple and use to wrap the
capsules.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 4/12/2013 11:51 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>>

>> "Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
>>> On Fri, 12 Apr 2013 16:27:48 +0100, "Ophelia"

>>> the capsule is an inch long and 3/8 of an inch wide; the dog is 80
>>> pounds and he can clamp his jaws d**n tight. No matter how far back I
>>> pop that capsule, it comes back out like magic.

>> Yes it takes some managing I must confess. We used to prise open her
>> jaws, (with great difficulty) pop it in and then hold her jaws tight
>> shut. Oh yes, she used to fight and it always takes two of you (more if
>> you have them available) ... If it won't work, you need to ask your vet
>> what s/he would do. Maybe he can give you something a wee bit easier to
>> give him I wish vets would take stuff like this into consideration!

> I don't know if it works with dogs but when I had to pill Persia (the cat)
> in earlier years, I'd do what you described. Once you get the pill in
> their mouth and clamp their jaw shut, if you blow gently on their nose
> they swallow reflexively. This is assuming you can keep hold of the
> animal long enough to do this.

I didn't know about the blowing but yes, you have to be able to hold the
dog. After the first few times of giving it to her like that, she was
never very happy, but she did relax a bit more.

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/04/2013 11:16 AM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
> I need some help. My dog is on antibiotics; those huge gelatine
> capsules. He can smell them. I have been successful for a couple of
> days at a time embedding a capsule in peanut butter, canned refried
> beans, cold mashed potatoes. Soon his greed no longer supercedes his
> aversion to the capsule and it is a battle getting the capsule in to
> him. What other canned food is out there that will tempt him and have
> the same consistency as the aforementioned? I've got another week to
> go on these capsules. I don't know much about canned stuff and the
> only thing I can think of is spaghetti'os -- much too sloppy and
> drippy to mould around a capsule. Help
> Thanks

Cheap weiners, like no name chicken weiners.
My dog is very hard to dose with pills and we use them or a chunk of
cream cheese, which wraps nicely around the pill.

My brother has a big overweight Black Lab who will eat just about
anything. One of his favourite food treats is carrots, and I can't
believe that a brother of mine would actually peel a carrot for his dog.
The dog was on medication for a while and my brother was going to
great efforts to hide the pills in food. One day he dropped the pill and
the dog ran over and licked it up off the floor. Now, when the dog needs
medication, my brother just tells him to sit and tosses it to him. The
dog snatches it out of the air and swallows it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 12, 9:13*am, Dave Smith > wrote:

> My brother has a big overweight Black Lab who will eat just about
> anything. One of his favourite food treats is carrots, and I can't
> believe that a brother of mine would actually peel a carrot for his dog.

I can't believe that either -- scraping the carrot with a paring knife
for the dog is much faster and easier.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 12, 8:16*am, Janet Bostwick > wrote:
> *I need some help. *My dog is on antibiotics; those huge gelatine
> capsules. *He can smell them. *I have been successful for a couple of
> days at a time embedding a capsule in peanut butter, canned refried
> beans, cold mashed potatoes. *Soon his greed no longer supercedes his
> aversion to the capsule and it is a battle getting the capsule in to
> him. *What other canned food is out there that will tempt him and have
> the same consistency as the aforementioned? *I've got another week to
> go on these capsules. *I don't know much about canned stuff and the
> only thing I can think of is spaghetti'os -- much too sloppy and
> drippy to mould around a capsule. *Help
> Thanks
> Janet US

I have had great luck with Trader Joe's tuna cat food- that stuff is
so stinky that your dog will not be able smell the meds.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

spamtrap1888 wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Apr 12, 9:13*am, Dave Smith > wrote:
>
> > My brother has a big overweight Black Lab who will eat just about
> > anything. One of his favourite food treats is carrots, and I can't
> > believe that a brother of mine would actually peel a carrot for his
> > dog.

> I can't believe that either -- scraping the carrot with a paring knife
> for the dog is much faster and easier.

Um, why do yopu bother to peel carrots for a dog? I dont even if for
home use un;ess theere's something wrong with the outside. I just wash
and use.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/12/2013 10:52 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
> eb.com...
>> On 4/12/2013 10:16 AM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
>>> I need some help. My dog is on antibiotics; those huge gelatine
>>> capsules. He can smell them. I have been successful for a couple of
>>> days at a time embedding a capsule in peanut butter, canned refried
>>> beans, cold mashed potatoes. Soon his greed no longer supercedes his
>>> aversion to the capsule and it is a battle getting the capsule in to
>>> him. What other canned food is out there that will tempt him and have
>>> the same consistency as the aforementioned? I've got another week to
>>> go on these capsules. I don't know much about canned stuff and the
>>> only thing I can think of is spaghetti'os -- much too sloppy and
>>> drippy to mould around a capsule. Help
>>> Thanks
>>> Janet US
>>>

>> I had one dog who hated pills. We bought a chunk of liverwurst and
>> molded it around the capsule. The scent of the liverwurst overpowered
>> the pills and she never protested the liverwurst treat.

> Worth a try if it is as strong as you say, but my dog *always* knew,
> whatever I tried. I have to say thought I never had any of that.

The dog we used the liverwurst on was a challenge. She was so bad with
medicine that she hid on heartworm pill day as though she had read the
calendar in advance and knew what day it was. It was easier to medicate
a cat than it was this little Poodle dog. The liverwurst was the only
way we could get medicines into her.

We did switch to a topical heartworm medication and after a few months
we were able to find her on dosing day. :-)

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 12 Apr 2013 09:16:54 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:

> I need some help. My dog is on antibiotics; those huge gelatine
>capsules. He can smell them. I have been successful for a couple of
>days at a time embedding a capsule in peanut butter, canned refried
>beans, cold mashed potatoes. Soon his greed no longer supercedes his
>aversion to the capsule and it is a battle getting the capsule in to
>him. What other canned food is out there that will tempt him and have
>the same consistency as the aforementioned? I've got another week to
>go on these capsules. I don't know much about canned stuff and the
>only thing I can think of is spaghetti'os -- much too sloppy and
>drippy to mould around a capsule. Help
>Thanks
>Janet US

The large chain petshops, like Petco, sell dog treats with a pocket to
insert a pill.
http://www.greenies.com/dogs.aspx#/p...g-pill-pockets

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
eb.com...

> The dog we used the liverwurst on was a challenge. She was so bad with
> medicine that she hid on heartworm pill day as though she had read the
> calendar in advance and knew what day it was.

Oh bless her.

It was easier to medicate
> a cat than it was this little Poodle dog. The liverwurst was the only way
> we could get medicines into her.

Heck, anything is worth a try.

> We did switch to a topical heartworm medication and after a few months we
> were able to find her on dosing day. :-)

Heh they aren't daft eh? )

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 12 Apr 2013 10:46:44 -0500, Janet Wilder
> wrote:

>On 4/12/2013 10:16 AM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
>> I need some help. My dog is on antibiotics; those huge gelatine
>> capsules. He can smell them. I have been successful for a couple of
>> days at a time embedding a capsule in peanut butter, canned refried
>> beans, cold mashed potatoes. Soon his greed no longer supercedes his
>> aversion to the capsule and it is a battle getting the capsule in to
>> him. What other canned food is out there that will tempt him and have
>> the same consistency as the aforementioned? I've got another week to
>> go on these capsules. I don't know much about canned stuff and the
>> only thing I can think of is spaghetti'os -- much too sloppy and
>> drippy to mould around a capsule. Help
>> Thanks
>> Janet US
>>

>I had one dog who hated pills. We bought a chunk of liverwurst and
>molded it around the capsule. The scent of the liverwurst overpowered
>the pills and she never protested the liverwurst treat.

there you go, "i" like liverwurst. I can eat it when he no longer
wants it ;o)
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/04/2013 4:03 PM, Janet Bostwick wrote:

>> I had one dog who hated pills. We bought a chunk of liverwurst and
>> molded it around the capsule. The scent of the liverwurst overpowered
>> the pills and she never protested the liverwurst treat.

> there you go, "i" like liverwurst. I can eat it when he no longer
> wants it ;o)

I like liverwurst, and liver pate. I used to have it on crackers almost
every night, accompanied by a Manhattan. It is a great flavour
combination. Then one day I too a bite of my craker with liverwurst and
it was horrible. I am not normally a picky eater but that left such a
horrible taste in my mouth that I didn't even bother taking it back to
the store because they might give me a replacement and I didn't want to
try it again. Then I had my heart issue and organ meats are out for me.
I did try some at a party last year. I just couldn't couldn't get as
excited about it as I used to.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/12/13 11:16 AM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
> I need some help....

It's much easier to have your vet or someone else teach you how to give
your dog a pill.

Open the mouth; right hand over the muzzle with thumb and middle fingers
wedged in the corners of his jaw so that the jaws cannot close, while
the left hand pops the pill into his throat; right hand holds the mouth
closed while left hand strokes the front of the throat until you're sure
it's down.

Unless your dog outweighs you, or your dog is vicious and a strong
candidate for target practice, this should be pretty easy.

-- Larry
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
> I need some help. My dog is on antibiotics; those huge gelatine
> capsules. He can smell them. I have been successful for a couple of
> days at a time embedding a capsule in peanut butter, canned refried
> beans, cold mashed potatoes. Soon his greed no longer supercedes his
> aversion to the capsule and it is a battle getting the capsule in to
> him. What other canned food is out there that will tempt him and have
> the same consistency as the aforementioned? I've got another week to
> go on these capsules. I don't know much about canned stuff and the
> only thing I can think of is spaghetti'os -- much too sloppy and
> drippy to mould around a capsule. Help
> Thanks
> Janet US

We used American cheese for pilling our dog but they were tiny pills. The
cheese was easy to mold around it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 12 Apr 2013 11:53:23 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 4/12/2013 11:16 AM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
>> I need some help. My dog is on antibiotics; those huge gelatine
>> capsules. He can smell them. I have been successful for a couple of
>> days at a time embedding a capsule in peanut butter, canned refried
>> beans, cold mashed potatoes. Soon his greed no longer supercedes his
>> aversion to the capsule and it is a battle getting the capsule in to
>> him. What other canned food is out there that will tempt him and have
>> the same consistency as the aforementioned? I've got another week to
>> go on these capsules. I don't know much about canned stuff and the
>> only thing I can think of is spaghetti'os -- much too sloppy and
>> drippy to mould around a capsule. Help
>> Thanks
>> Janet US
>>

>I really wish they wouldn't make pills so friggin huge (both for pets
>*and* humans). When I had to give my dog pills (sorry, they weren't
>gel-caps) I'd hide them in Velveeta and tuck them into his food. That
>might work. He gobbled them right up.
>
>Jill

True story, this dog will not eat Velveeta or Kraft Singles. He will
eat quality, aged cheese, but only shredded. I can't decide whether
to put a smiley or a frown after a ridiculous statement like that.
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 12 Apr 2013 11:53:23 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>>On 4/12/2013 11:16 AM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
>>> I need some help. My dog is on antibiotics; those huge gelatine
>>> capsules. He can smell them. I have been successful for a couple of
>>> days at a time embedding a capsule in peanut butter, canned refried
>>> beans, cold mashed potatoes. Soon his greed no longer supercedes his
>>> aversion to the capsule and it is a battle getting the capsule in to
>>> him. What other canned food is out there that will tempt him and have
>>> the same consistency as the aforementioned? I've got another week to
>>> go on these capsules. I don't know much about canned stuff and the
>>> only thing I can think of is spaghetti'os -- much too sloppy and
>>> drippy to mould around a capsule. Help
>>> Thanks
>>> Janet US
>>>

>>I really wish they wouldn't make pills so friggin huge (both for pets
>>*and* humans). When I had to give my dog pills (sorry, they weren't
>>gel-caps) I'd hide them in Velveeta and tuck them into his food. That
>>might work. He gobbled them right up.
>>
>>Jill

> True story, this dog will not eat Velveeta or Kraft Singles. He will
> eat quality, aged cheese, but only shredded. I can't decide whether
> to put a smiley or a frown after a ridiculous statement like that.

Now, would that be a discerning dog ... or a spoilt one? I hesitate to
decide <g>
ps sounds just like mine )
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 12 Apr 2013 09:04:46 -0700 (PDT), spamtrap1888
> wrote:

>On Apr 12, 8:16*am, Janet Bostwick > wrote:
>> *I need some help. *My dog is on antibiotics; those huge gelatine
>> capsules. *He can smell them. *I have been successful for a couple of
>> days at a time embedding a capsule in peanut butter, canned refried
>> beans, cold mashed potatoes. *Soon his greed no longer supercedes his
>> aversion to the capsule and it is a battle getting the capsule in to
>> him. *What other canned food is out there that will tempt him and have
>> the same consistency as the aforementioned? *I've got another week to
>> go on these capsules. *I don't know much about canned stuff and the
>> only thing I can think of is spaghetti'os -- much too sloppy and
>> drippy to mould around a capsule. *Help

>Liverwurst usually does the trick. Or if you have a good feed store
>nearby, the Red Barn salami-looking food is good.
>
>But I just use firmness. Grab his muzzle so that his upper lips go
>over his teeth, and set the capsule on the back of his tongue. Then
>gently close his mouth, and stroke his throat till he swallows.

Times have been a little rough for him the last two weeks. We are
down to the large antibiotic and his daily thyroid pill. There were
two other pills at the beginning. But I also have to put ointment in
his eye 3x a day (surgery 2 weeks ago) and spray his undercarriage
for the doggy version of a severe case of jock itch. His immune
system just went wonky all at once when he developed a growth on his
upper eyelid. Then he got the sneezes and runny nose and his nose
skin all dried out and got hard. And then the jock itch. He isn't
sold on being sprayed all around the hangy-down bits 3x a day.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 12 Apr 2013 09:04:46 -0700 (PDT), spamtrap1888
> > wrote:
>
>>On Apr 12, 8:16 am, Janet Bostwick > wrote:
>>> I need some help. My dog is on antibiotics; those huge gelatine
>>> capsules. He can smell them. I have been successful for a couple of
>>> days at a time embedding a capsule in peanut butter, canned refried
>>> beans, cold mashed potatoes. Soon his greed no longer supercedes his
>>> aversion to the capsule and it is a battle getting the capsule in to
>>> him. What other canned food is out there that will tempt him and have
>>> the same consistency as the aforementioned? I've got another week to
>>> go on these capsules. I don't know much about canned stuff and the
>>> only thing I can think of is spaghetti'os -- much too sloppy and
>>> drippy to mould around a capsule. Help

>>Liverwurst usually does the trick. Or if you have a good feed store
>>nearby, the Red Barn salami-looking food is good.
>>
>>But I just use firmness. Grab his muzzle so that his upper lips go
>>over his teeth, and set the capsule on the back of his tongue. Then
>>gently close his mouth, and stroke his throat till he swallows.

> Times have been a little rough for him the last two weeks. We are
> down to the large antibiotic and his daily thyroid pill. There were
> two other pills at the beginning. But I also have to put ointment in
> his eye 3x a day (surgery 2 weeks ago) and spray his undercarriage
> for the doggy version of a severe case of jock itch. His immune
> system just went wonky all at once when he developed a growth on his
> upper eyelid. Then he got the sneezes and runny nose and his nose
> skin all dried out and got hard. And then the jock itch. He isn't
> sold on being sprayed all around the hangy-down bits 3x a day.

Oh the poor wee soul Well, even with all that at least he is with you and
knows he is loved.

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 12, 3:11*pm, Janet Bostwick > wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Apr 2013 11:53:23 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>

> >On 4/12/2013 11:16 AM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
> >> * I need some help. *My dog is on antibiotics; those huge gelatine
> >> capsules. *He can smell them. *I have been successful for a couple of
> >> days at a time embedding a capsule in peanut butter, canned refried
> >> beans, cold mashed potatoes. *Soon his greed no longer supercedes his
> >> aversion to the capsule and it is a battle getting the capsule in to
> >> him. *What other canned food is out there that will tempt him and have
> >> the same consistency as the aforementioned? *I've got another week to
> >> go on these capsules. *I don't know much about canned stuff and the
> >> only thing I can think of is spaghetti'os -- much too sloppy and
> >> drippy to mould around a capsule. *Help
> >> Thanks
> >> Janet US

> >I really wish they wouldn't make pills so friggin huge (both for pets
> >*and* humans). *When I had to give my dog pills (sorry, they weren't
> >gel-caps) I'd hide them in Velveeta and tuck them into his food. *That
> >might work. *He gobbled them right up.

> >Jill

> True story, this dog will not eat Velveeta or Kraft Singles. *He will
> eat quality, aged cheese, but only shredded. *I can't decide whether
> to put a smiley or a frown after a ridiculous statement like that.
> Janet US

LOL- sounds like my dog. I don't know how many different foods we
tried until she finally decided she likes Taste of the Wild. She is a
GSD, so I really don't want to fight her to get a pill into her! The
last time I tried to give her a flea pill was a total PIA, but that
TJ's tuna for cats disguised the taste enough for her. I just make
sure to crush the pill into a fine powder.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 12 Apr 2013 15:47:29 -0700 (PDT), merryb >
wrote:

>On Apr 12, 3:11*pm, Janet Bostwick > wrote:
>> On Fri, 12 Apr 2013 11:53:23 -0400, jmcquown >
>> wrote:

>> >I really wish they wouldn't make pills so friggin huge (both for pets
>> >*and* humans). *When I had to give my dog pills (sorry, they weren't
>> >gel-caps) I'd hide them in Velveeta and tuck them into his food. *That
>> >might work. *He gobbled them right up.

>> >Jill

>> True story, this dog will not eat Velveeta or Kraft Singles. *He will
>> eat quality, aged cheese, but only shredded. *I can't decide whether
>> to put a smiley or a frown after a ridiculous statement like that.
>> Janet US

>LOL- sounds like my dog. I don't know how many different foods we
>tried until she finally decided she likes Taste of the Wild. She is a
>GSD, so I really don't want to fight her to get a pill into her! The
>last time I tried to give her a flea pill was a total PIA, but that
>TJ's tuna for cats disguised the taste enough for her. I just make
>sure to crush the pill into a fine powder.

I could try canned cat food, but he has two cats of his own and he
knows not to eat their food. I think maybe the liverwurst is better
to start. Then I won't have to deal with any bad habits later.
thanks
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 12, 3:54*pm, Janet Bostwick > wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Apr 2013 15:47:29 -0700 (PDT), merryb >
> wrote:
>

> >On Apr 12, 3:11 pm, Janet Bostwick > wrote:

> >> True story, this dog will not eat Velveeta or Kraft Singles. He will
> >> eat quality, aged cheese, but only shredded. I can't decide whether
> >> to put a smiley or a frown after a ridiculous statement like that.
> >> Janet US

> >LOL- sounds like my dog. I don't know how many different foods we
> >tried until she finally decided she likes Taste of the Wild. She is a
> >GSD, so I really don't want to fight her to get a pill into her! The
> >last time I tried to give her a flea pill was a total PIA, but that
> >TJ's tuna for cats disguised the taste enough for her. I just make
> >sure to crush the pill into a fine powder.

> I could try canned cat food, but he has two cats of his own and he
> knows not to eat their food. *I think maybe the liverwurst is better
> to start. *Then I won't have to deal with any bad habits later.
> thanks
> Janet US

We have 2 cats also, so she thought it was a special treat to be
allowed to have it!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 12 Apr 2013 23:41:53 +0100, "Ophelia" ku>
wrote:

>"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Fri, 12 Apr 2013 09:04:46 -0700 (PDT), spamtrap1888
>> > wrote:

>>>Liverwurst usually does the trick. Or if you have a good feed store
>>>nearby, the Red Barn salami-looking food is good.
>>>
>>>But I just use firmness. Grab his muzzle so that his upper lips go
>>>over his teeth, and set the capsule on the back of his tongue. Then
>>>gently close his mouth, and stroke his throat till he swallows.

>> Times have been a little rough for him the last two weeks. We are
>> down to the large antibiotic and his daily thyroid pill. There were
>> two other pills at the beginning. But I also have to put ointment in
>> his eye 3x a day (surgery 2 weeks ago) and spray his undercarriage
>> for the doggy version of a severe case of jock itch. His immune
>> system just went wonky all at once when he developed a growth on his
>> upper eyelid. Then he got the sneezes and runny nose and his nose
>> skin all dried out and got hard. And then the jock itch. He isn't
>> sold on being sprayed all around the hangy-down bits 3x a day.

>Oh the poor wee soul Well, even with all that at least he is with you and
>knows he is loved.
>
>--

You wouldn't believe the change all the medicine has made to him. He
looks like a different dog. His nose has almost cleared up, his eye
doesn't look red and baggy and his bottom is almost clear. I was
taking eye drops for my cataract surgery, so I would do mine before
his so he could see mom do it. When it comes to pill time I take a
spoon full and make all the nummy, nummy sounds until he decides the
pill food must be o.k. I know . . . I sound like a complete nut case.
But this dog stayed by my side after my cancer surgery and all the
ugly stuff that followed. I'll learn to do handstands if I have to.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 12 Apr 2013 12:13:57 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 12/04/2013 11:16 AM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
>> I need some help. My dog is on antibiotics; those huge gelatine
>> capsules. He can smell them. I have been successful for a couple of
>> days at a time embedding a capsule in peanut butter, canned refried
>> beans, cold mashed potatoes. Soon his greed no longer supercedes his
>> aversion to the capsule and it is a battle getting the capsule in to
>> him. What other canned food is out there that will tempt him and have
>> the same consistency as the aforementioned? I've got another week to
>> go on these capsules. I don't know much about canned stuff and the
>> only thing I can think of is spaghetti'os -- much too sloppy and
>> drippy to mould around a capsule. Help
>> Thanks
>>

>Cheap weiners, like no name chicken weiners.
>My dog is very hard to dose with pills and we use them or a chunk of
>cream cheese, which wraps nicely around the pill.
>

>My brother has a big overweight Black Lab who will eat just about
>anything. One of his favourite food treats is carrots, and I can't
>believe that a brother of mine would actually peel a carrot for his dog.
> The dog was on medication for a while and my brother was going to
>great efforts to hide the pills in food. One day he dropped the pill and
>the dog ran over and licked it up off the floor. Now, when the dog needs
>medication, my brother just tells him to sit and tosses it to him. The
>dog snatches it out of the air and swallows it.

O.k., that made me laugh out loud. I should be so lucky. Is he
willing for his dog to be a loaner to teach other dogs that trick? ;o)
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 12 Apr 2013 09:17:18 -0700 (PDT), spamtrap1888
> wrote:

>On Apr 12, 9:13*am, Dave Smith > wrote:
>
>> My brother has a big overweight Black Lab who will eat just about
>> anything. One of his favourite food treats is carrots, and I can't
>> believe that a brother of mine would actually peel a carrot for his dog.

>I can't believe that either -- scraping the carrot with a paring knife
>for the dog is much faster and easier.

I don't pare or scrap the carrots, I just cut the end off and slice.
He gets raw carrots with his kibble every day and carrot chunks for
treats.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 12 Apr 2013 14:04:53 -0400, Brooklyn1
> wrote:

>On Fri, 12 Apr 2013 09:16:54 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:
>
>> I need some help. My dog is on antibiotics; those huge gelatine
>>capsules. He can smell them. I have been successful for a couple of
>>days at a time embedding a capsule in peanut butter, canned refried
>>beans, cold mashed potatoes. Soon his greed no longer supercedes his
>>aversion to the capsule and it is a battle getting the capsule in to
>>him. What other canned food is out there that will tempt him and have
>>the same consistency as the aforementioned? I've got another week to
>>go on these capsules. I don't know much about canned stuff and the
>>only thing I can think of is spaghetti'os -- much too sloppy and
>>drippy to mould around a capsule. Help
>>Thanks
>>Janet US

>The large chain petshops, like Petco, sell dog treats with a pocket to
>insert a pill.
>http://www.greenies.com/dogs.aspx#/p...g-pill-pockets

thanks, but he doesn't bite on that subterfuge.
Janet US