Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Looking For Healthy Recipes For Zucchini Or Almond Cakes

I've researched through Google for the recipes, but haven't been able to
find exactly what I'm looking for, besides I prefer making one that is
tried 'n' true, and is recommended by you. I thought I would turn to
all the bakers in this group, and ask if any of you might have a good
recipe for either a Zucchini Cake, or an Almond Cake?

My granddaughter's birthday is Sunday and she has requested either of
these cakes, BUT she wants a healthy version, like she buys at a local
health food store, where they sell them by the piece. She doesn't want
the cake to be loaded with butter, or frosted, but maybe sprinkled with
powdered sugar on top. She said you can't see any almonds in the Almond
Cake, so maybe they use almond paste in it? Anyway, she says they are
both delicious, but the recipes I've found online don't really sound
like what I'm looking for.

I was thinking even a healthy version of a Oatmeal Cake might be a good
option, but the recipes I've used have lots of butter, or oil in them.

Can you help me? Thanks much, if so! :-)

Judy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/8/2013 11:59 AM, Judy Haffner wrote:

> I've researched through Google for the recipes, but haven't been able to
> find exactly what I'm looking for, besides I prefer making one that is
> tried 'n' true, and is recommended by you. I thought I would turn to
> all the bakers in this group, and ask if any of you might have a good
> recipe for either a Zucchini Cake, or an Almond Cake?
>
> My granddaughter's birthday is Sunday and she has requested either of
> these cakes, BUT she wants a healthy version, like she buys at a local
> health food store, where they sell them by the piece. She doesn't want
> the cake to be loaded with butter, or frosted, but maybe sprinkled with
> powdered sugar on top. She said you can't see any almonds in the Almond
> Cake, so maybe they use almond paste in it? Anyway, she says they are
> both delicious, but the recipes I've found online don't really sound
> like what I'm looking for.
>
> I was thinking even a healthy version of a Oatmeal Cake might be a good
> option, but the recipes I've used have lots of butter, or oil in them.
>
> Can you help me? Thanks much, if so! :-)
>
> Judy

Maybe you should search for gluten free cakes make with almond
flour/meal. Lots of recipes out there.

Tracy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 8 Apr 2013 07:59:28 -0800, (Judy Haffner)
wrote:

> I've researched through Google for the recipes, but haven't been able to
> find exactly what I'm looking for, besides I prefer making one that is
> tried 'n' true, and is recommended by you. I thought I would turn to
> all the bakers in this group, and ask if any of you might have a good
> recipe for either a Zucchini Cake, or an Almond Cake?
>
> My granddaughter's birthday is Sunday and she has requested either of
> these cakes, BUT she wants a healthy version, like she buys at a local
> health food store, where they sell them by the piece. She doesn't want
> the cake to be loaded with butter, or frosted, but maybe sprinkled with
> powdered sugar on top. She said you can't see any almonds in the Almond
> Cake, so maybe they use almond paste in it? Anyway, she says they are
> both delicious, but the recipes I've found online don't really sound
> like what I'm looking for.

The almond cake she's talking about was probably made with almond
meal. I have several almond cake recipes that call for almond meal,
but I haven't make any of them - at least that I remember, but I can
post a couple of them if you're still interested. They're fairly
simple. Buy the almond meal at Trader Joe's, they seem to sell it at
a reasonable price.

I haven't made zucchini cake in a long time, so hopefully this was the
recipe I used. In my new stage of enlightenment, I'd use EVOO or
maybe even take a chance and sub it out for plain yogurt... but it's a
birthday cake, so scrap the yogurt idea for another time. BTW: if you
have a zucchini cake recipe that you like but it calls for butter, I
know for a fact that you can switch butter out for yogurt and the cake
will be fine.

Zucchini Cake

INGREDIENTS:
1 cup vegetable oil
2 cup sugar
3 eggs
2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
2 cups flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. cinnamon
2 cups grated zucchini (leave skins on)
1 cup walnuts

PREPARATION:

Mix oil and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time beating well after each
addition; blend in vanilla. In a separate bowl, sift together the
flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and baking soda. Add sifted dry
ingredients to first mixture; alternating with grated zucchini.

Fold in chopped nuts. (Batter will be a bit thin.)
Pour into greased and floured 13x9x2-inch pan.

Bake at 350° for 55 minutes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

>The almond cake she's talking about was
> probably made with almond meal. I
> have several almond cake recipes that
> call for almond meal, but I haven't make
> any of them - at least that I remember,
> but I can post a couple of them if you're
> still interested. They're fairly simple.
> Buy the almond meal at Trader Joe's,
> they seem to sell it at a reasonable
> price.

I've never used almond meal, but have seen recipes calling for it.
Living where we do (Alaska) there is no Trader Joe's near us.

>I haven't made zucchini cake in a long
> time, so hopefully this was the recipe I
> used. In my new stage of
> enlightenment, I'd use EVOO or maybe
> even take a chance and sub it out for
> plain yogurt... but it's a birthday cake, so
> scrap the yogurt idea for another
> time. BTW: if you have a zucchini cake
> recipe that you like but it calls for butter,
> I know for a fact that you can switch
> butter out for yogurt and the cake will be
> fine.

The recipe you posted is very nearly the same as one I've made before,
and is very good, but most zucchini cakes call for a cream cheese
filling. I could make it healthier to use the low fat cream cheese, but
she doesn't like that type of frosting. I never thought of using yogurt
for the butter/oil called for. Can't a person also use applesauce in
place of oil for a healthier version?

Thanks for the recipe!

Judy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Thanks to the ones that replied with recipes and suggestions...they all
sound very good and have copied them off, and appreciate your ideas too,
to make a more healthy cake.

Judy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/8/2013 9:59 AM, Judy Haffner wrote:

> I've researched through Google for the recipes, but haven't been able to
> find exactly what I'm looking for, besides I prefer making one that is
> tried 'n' true, and is recommended by you. I thought I would turn to
> all the bakers in this group, and ask if any of you might have a good
> recipe for either a Zucchini Cake, or an Almond Cake?

You could make this one in an 8 or 9" round instead of a loaf pan:

Carl Goh's Zucchini Bread, from "James Beard on Bread Cookbook"

3 eggs (or Egg Beaters )
1 1/2 c. granulated sugar (this has already been reduced by 1/2 cup)
1 c. vegetable oil (I use 1/2 cup plus 1/2 c. applesauce instead)
2 c. coarsely grated raw zucchini grated on the big holes of
grater, or processor blade.)If it's a big zucchini, scoop out the
seeds before grating. I don't peel the zucchini
3 tsp. vanilla extract
3 c. all purpose flour
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. baking powder
3 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. nutmeg, pinch of cloves and allspice (optional)
1 c. coarsely chopped pecans (or walnuts)
(optional: handful of chocolate chips)

Grease well and flour two 9 inch loaf pans.
Sift together flour, leavenings, and spices, set aside.
Beat eggs till light and foamy, stir in sugar, vanilla, applesauce and
oil, mixing well. Add dry ingredients gradually while still stirring to
combine. Add zucchini, mix well, then nuts. Pour into pans.

Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for ~60 minutes or until a tester
comes out clean. Cool on rack about 15 minutes, then remove from pan
and continue to cool until room temperature. Wrap securely.
This bread freezes VERY well.

gloria p